Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Meditation and pain management (Read 10879 times)
PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Meditation and pain management
May 29th, 2010 at 2:03pm

Hi everyone,
So I'm amidst another cluster and I've been noticing how much better I 'manage' my pain, then I used to. Either that or my CH's are weaker. lol. Either way I know keeping relaxed, and avoiding becoming negative helps a lot.

Now, I'm not a granola-eating yoga-master, or a freak, but I do meditate. Rarely if I'm not in pain, but its vital I take a few moments each day to relax. I used to get Tension headaches, on top of, and after a CH, then a Stress-headache somewhere in between.  Cry

I have little advice to offer fellow sufferers, yet I'm sure lots of people could benefit from learning to "really" relax more. a.k.a meditate. I'm not suggesting using the posture, although I find good straight posture helps me.

Explaining how to meditate is easy, and doing it in ideal conditions is also easy. Yet finding stillness when your heads exploding isn't as natural.

What I find works, is focusing on my breathing and keeping my muscles relaxed. Shoulder and neck especially. Don't use words or try to "think" at all. Its harder then its sounds. If its impossible, use 1 word like "Black" or "nothing", and repeat it. Something that wont initiate a thought/distraction.

While in pain, I try to "disconnect" from myself/pain/body, by visualizing 2 orbs, if you will. I visualize the "me" orb moving just a little bit away from my "body" orb. I'm sure that sounds odd, but I'm just trying to be very descriptive.

Again, I'm not a Buddhist Monk, and I don't astroplane across another dimension. A lot of people think meditation is like yoga or something complicated. Really its just relaxing. I've seen videos of people thrashing around while in a CH, and although I can't feel their pain, I think the thrashing and moaning only makes things worse. Yet again, I can only speculate, and if it works for you, good on ya.

I also find staying positive helps, although again, its not easy at times. I remind myself that things could be worse, in so many ways. It helps when I start to feel sorry for myself, and question my own existence.  Or if I get really low and actually think about....... the Bullet cure.  Embarrassed

As strong and tough as CH's are, I AM STRONGER!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Meditation and pain management
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2010 at 2:27pm

No question, a percentage of the pain we end up with is all the tension and fighting against the beast we do! Several others have posted of the benefits of remaining calm and as much as possible not fighting against it. Saves you that aching neck and back the next day from keeping it locked tight for 2 hours.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2010 at 5:49pm

Hi PlayDoh,

No doubt that meditation could be very beneficial to cluster patients or to anyone suffering severe pain. The problem is, the only way for it to be truly effective is for the one meditating to focus on his pain; not the psycho-emotional reactions surrounding the pain but the actual, physical sensations of the pain itself. Nobody wants to do that.

Ron

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #3 - May 29th, 2010 at 5:51pm

Relaxation techniques are a whole different ball game.

-Blake

IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2010 at 7:39pm

bonkers wrote on May 29th, 2010 at 5:49pm:
Hi PlayDoh,
the only way for it to be truly effective is for the one meditating to focus on his pain; not the psycho-emotional reactions surrounding the pain but the actual, physical sensations of the pain itself. Nobody wants to do that.

I think I understand, since I used to find impossible to just sit there quietly. Without distractions, I found I just became completely focused on nothing but the raw pain.
It was a kin to standing in front of a siren and resist not covering your ears.

However I now find that I can, to a definite point, "Tune-out" the pain more with meditation. To me its like I 'contain' my pain and for that matter my entire physical sensations, then metaphorically 'step aside' from it. "step aside", describes the sensation difference I feel also, as its a step down, and never an elimination of the pain entirely.

This all sounds like some new-age spiritual stuff, but really all I'm describing is how 'inner-peace' alleviates some of my pain. I think its very beneficial since in the past I was causing myself more pain by frustration, tension and stress.

Undoubtedly your attitude will effect your meditation results. I used youtube and my girlfriend to learn how to meditate. "Learn" is the wrong word probably, since "Unlearn" was more appropriate. Meditation is about turning my Mach 3 brain in to stand-by for a bit, and losing myself by doing so.

Either way, I totally understand how meditation is the last thing to try for some, if not most. That was primarily my motive for suggesting it.

For me, learning that I could (sometimes) distract myself and abort a CH, taught me that I had some control. Psychosomatic, sub-consciously, or consciously I can effect my CH's, to a degree. If not, then simply the aftermath of my CH's.

For me, rather then becoming focused on my pain and/or exacerbate it, I seem to be able to find a measure of relief. A minor measure, usually.

Keeping my pain/CH's in their place is important for me also. As strong and tough as CH's are, I AM STRONGER! (haha, I just found my sig). Meditation helps me see my pain for what it is, and know that I am separate from it. Simple to say, but hard to Know when you just want to die from the agony.

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #5 - May 30th, 2010 at 1:35am

You are NOT separate from your pain. The movement (i.e. the imagined movement) away from your pain only increases your distress. Where do you suppose that you go when you "step aside" from your pain?

-Blake

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #6 - May 30th, 2010 at 2:32am

I have  a little different take on this.

I've been meditating daily for going on 30 years now. Well except for when I'm in a CH episode (!!)

It's very relaxing, of course, and therefore it ranks right up there with a nap for it's very high likelihood of TRIGGERING a CH for me (and I imagine for a lot of other CH folk who pretty much need to stay engaged as much as possible and avoid lulls, naps, etc. during an episode).

Now if someone is only prone to CH attacks during certain hours of the day, then I suppose it wouldn't be so risky in the "off" hours.

As far as meditating as a way of dealing with an attack that is full blown, I can see that, and I actually recall once being able to become detached from a crushing high kip blaster by doing so. It's just that I've been lucky enough, and hyper vigilant enough after learning a LOT here that I haven't had to experience full blown/full length attacks for awhile, so I guess that could explain why I'm so oriented towards avoiding triggers. Like ...unfortunately...meditation.

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2010 at 2:34am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #7 - May 30th, 2010 at 7:31am

I have to agree with you, trying to stay calm and relaxed makes a huge difference for me too!

During a hit (and I'm getting plenty of practice at the moment  Undecided) I just keep breathing, acknowledge the pain - if that makes sense - and try to breath through it.  The pain is everything - there is no escape whatsoever - but breathing calmly is sooooo helpful.  I also rock gently with my face pressed into a hot water bottle.

I remember walking around, jumping, banging my head etc etc in the past and the anxiety and stress caused by that was terrible.  The pain increased beyond a doubt! 

It is definately worth trying.

Kate

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #8 - May 30th, 2010 at 10:01am

PlayDoh wrote on May 29th, 2010 at 7:39pm:
Hi PlayDoh,
the only way for it to be truly effective is for the one meditating to focus on his pain; not the psycho-emotional reactions surrounding the pain but the actual, physical sensations of the pain itself. Nobody wants to do that.

I think I understand, since I used to find impossible to just sit there quietly. Without distractions, I found I just became completely focused on nothing but the raw pain.
It was a kin to standing in front of a siren and resist not covering your ears.

However I now find that I can, to a definite point, "Tune-out" the pain more with meditation. To me its like I 'contain' my pain and for that matter my entire physical sensations, then metaphorically 'step aside' from it. "step aside", describes the sensation difference I feel also, as its a step down, and never an elimination of the pain entirely.

This all sounds like some new-age spiritual stuff, but really all I'm describing is how 'inner-peace' alleviates some of my pain. I think its very beneficial since in the past I was causing myself more pain by frustration, tension and stress.

Undoubtedly your attitude will effect your meditation results. I used youtube and my girlfriend to learn how to meditate. "Learn" is the wrong word probably, since "Unlearn" was more appropriate. Meditation is about turning my Mach 3 brain in to stand-by for a bit, and losing myself by doing so.

Either way, I totally understand how meditation is the last thing to try for some, if not most. That was primarily my motive for suggesting it.

For me, learning that I could (sometimes) distract myself and abort a CH, taught me that I had some control. Psychosomatic, sub-consciously, or consciously I can effect my CH's, to a degree. If not, then simply the aftermath of my CH's.

For me, rather then becoming focused on my pain and/or exacerbate it, I seem to be able to find a measure of relief. A minor measure, usually.

Keeping my pain/CH's in their place is important for me also. As strong and tough as CH's are, I AM STRONGER! (haha, I just found my sig). Meditation helps me see my pain for what it is, and know that I am separate from it. Simple to say, but hard to Know when you just want to die from the agony.

Hello Play Doh and Welcome to the board!

Mediation can be quite affective for many things My Dad has used it almost all his life for various things, from helping lower his blood pressure to avoiding illness. 

I am not as adept at meditation as he is and many others aren't as well.  It may be of help for others for you to post a few links to the information on
YOU TUBE
that you used to help learn to meditate and what ever tips your girlfriend gave you to use. 

For me at least learning to meditate has been quite difficult because I am a person who prefers to be in control of all aspects of their life (control freak about my own life not others lives... LOL) This may be why a CH hits my personality type so hard, talk about being out of control, CH Kip 10 or even a 5 will take what control you thought you had and chuck it right out the window. 

So, for myself as well as others who are willing to try just about anything to avoid a CH hit, please post what links and other information you may have pertaining to learning how to meditate.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #9 - May 30th, 2010 at 10:09am

I think many of us come to something similar, no matter what we choose to call it. 

I went through a lot of cycles before CH.com existed, and when the known treatments for CH were few and ineffective.  In my experience, at least, some of those treatments not only did nothing, but actively made things worse.  I chose to confront the thing without medication or treatment of any kind.

Not something I recommend, but for me, I think it was the correct decision.

One of the consequences of that decision is that one has to learn some way to deal with a hit--to endure one, and get through to the other side.  Since there's nothing, really, that a person can do about the pain (CH affects the autonomic nervous system, and that's not under voluntary control), the only thing that can be controlled is the person's reaction to a hit.

See--I don't think we're like rabbits in a trap...  We know what is happening to us, and we can choose how we react to it.  We don't have to thrash and struggle and submit to swiftly rising panic--we can deliberately calm ourselves, relax as much as possible, and control our physical and psychological reactions to an attack.  It isn't easy, but it's certainly possible and desirable.  Panic makes things worse.  It increases the perception of pain and fear.  As the old science-fiction phrase has it, "fear is the mind-killer".   Wink

I see nothing mystical or otherworldly about this.  In fact, it's just about as physical is it gets.  It's not easy to do--every instinct screams against it--but it's well worth it.

Now that I use O2 with the new techniques to abort an individual attack, it's a whole new ballgame.  But I still use the things I learned about calming myself, relaxing, and not submitting to panic. 

Learning to endure an attack and get through it is just as important as any medication or treatment.  Whatever technique achieves that, no matter what we call it, is a valuable weapon in our arsenal.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2010 at 3:27pm

Well said everyone, and thank you for the welcoming Ginger.

Heres a good meditation explanation/lesson.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Heres a video you learn to meditate with.

DattatreyaSivaBaba  —  has lots of videos on youtube also.

I also agree that anyone who has suffered from CH's has learned immense coping skills, and some form of meditation/relaxation. Except, I'm afraid, children perhaps. It truly breaks my heart to hear that children get CH's, cause their suffering must be brutal.

Medicine is a powerful tool, but so is your mind. Unfortunately your mind can easily work against you, and bring you pain and suffering. Yet it can also be used to 'manage' or alleviate pain and suffering. This is where meditation has help me.

P.S - I would never presume to know what causes someone else distress or pain, or argue their own coping techniques with them.

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #11 - May 30th, 2010 at 9:59pm

I apologize PlayDoh and I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm glad you've found a way to relieve your headaches. Maybe it will help others. Peace.

-Blake

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #12 - May 31st, 2010 at 8:26am

For all that I said about keeping calm during hits.... let's be honest - it does get a little exhausting overtime.  That's why I'm such a happy camper tonight - the 02 was delivered this afternoon.  Woohoo!! 

Kate

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #13 - May 31st, 2010 at 9:34am

Now THAT'S great news Kate!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

seaworthy
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 7:26am

Quote:
Where do you suppose that you go when you "step aside" from your pain?

Vegas !

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #15 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 3:22pm

Hi PlayDoh,

... The problem is, the only way for it to be truly effective is for the one meditating to focus on his pain; not the psycho-emotional reactions surrounding the pain but the actual, physical sensations of the pain itself.

Not sure about that, Ron. There are many types of meditation -  some (like Vipassana/awareness meditation) require focusing on what ever sensations are present, but others involve different mental exercises and those might (or might not) help with general pain management. For example, mantra meditation (perhaps "this will soon pass"), possibly with a metronome might have a calming effect. I have found that metta meditation has the greatest beneficial effects on my heart rate variability (a measure of autonomic nervous balance) as measured by a biofeedback device - metta uses words and imagery to invoke the compassion circuits of the brain and is rather different than what most people think of when the word 'meditation' is mentioned.

All of this for me is second string to a good program to prevent and abort using sleep hygeine and a variety of chemicals to intervene with the nervous system. For me, these are mostly 'natural' chemicals, but still chemical as I feel the main disturbance is chemical. 

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

thingfishp
CH.com Junior

Wilco Loves Ya Baby

Reply #16 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 10:51am

Interesting stuff.  I have learned to remain calmer than I did during previous cycles and attacks, even during those exquisite Kip 9/10s.  I may be flinching and having little convulsions while sucking on the O2, but it's a less manic experience than it once was.  I have been wanting to learn meditation for some time; fortunately I have a brother-in-law/good friend who's helping me to get started.  My wife and I are going to try yoga again, as well.  This isn't new-agey stuff for us but a means to better breathing and better, more supple, muscle tone. And of course, relaxation.  We tried this once before, but someone hit Julie head-on about 3 weeks into the yoga classes.  The fractured sternum and arms effictively ended that.  But we're going to give it a go again.  Anything I can do to try to eliviate the severity and duration of these cycles, and not fall apart as we march into middle age, is a plus.  Good luck and PF days to all.

George
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2010 at 10:52am by thingfishp »  

New Haven, CT

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #17 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 2:38am

PlayDoh,

I'm glad that meditation has helped you with dealing with ch. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Smiley

Before ch came into my life, I was doing a lot of yoga and I'm doing some asanas every now and then. I have meditated occasionally, but never during a hit.

I have posted in here in the past that I feel that yoga helps me deal with ch - for the reasons you mentioned, that calming effect. I feel that it helps, because it makes my life in general better in between hits, so I'm a bit stronger,when the pain comes.

Those few times I've meditated (well, I call them that!), my experiences have been good and positive ones. I have been planning to do that more often, in weekly and perhaps, one day, in daily basis. However, I am slightly worried about closing my eyes bit, because I always close my eyes when I meditate and my body may think that I'm taking a nap, which has been a trigger in the past.Any experiences about that, anyone?

I'm constantly searching for new things to try with ch and this has been an interesting thread.

PF days to us all,
Sanna

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #18 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 5:55pm

sometimes it helps me maintain a cold face as i call it even if it is hard to do.
leaving the face muscles relaxed while getting hit.not forcing the eye to look in different directions or open it more than the eye droop forces to do seems to lessen a bit the pain.but still not something too worth mentioning as still not fuctional...has nothing to do with meditation or stuff like that you are  talking about.

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #19 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 8:47am

Black wrote: Quote:
still not something too worth mentioning as still not fuctional...has nothing to do with meditation or stuff like that you are  talking about

And here I thought it was just therapy you were down on. Meditation, too, it would seem. But honestly, sir, you just described some of the techniques that are requisite to meditation: voluntary muscular relaxation (facial or otherwise) and maintianing an introspective focus.

I think you are in a lot of pain, right now, judging by how you've posted. The battle is depleting, in so many ways. You're doing a good job and even if you are in disagreement with this and other interventions, you are finding ways to cope. Keep it up, my friend. And may you have pf days and nights! lance

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #20 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 10:21am

nope it's not yoga as it has no body exercises and no meditation as i don't focus on breathing or try empty the thoughts.
i just try to to relax the face muscles while on hit not to react on pain, when and if i can,but still i focus on pain and my main thought is....mainly inner curses on the beast Cheesy

therefore it's no meditation.

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #21 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 11:06pm

I have been trying to get myself into a place where the pain is not consuming 100% of my mental and physical energy during a hit. I used visualization and meditative practices during the ( natural) birth of my third daughter quite effectively. Clusters, however, cause a pain so intense and relentless that I have zero ability to focus myself enough to step away from it.

I would be interested to learn any techniques that you have found helpful.

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #22 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 12:27am

kika wrote on Sep 5th, 2010 at 11:06pm:
I have been trying to get myself into a place where the pain is not consuming 100% of my mental and physical energy during a hit. I used visualization and meditative practices during the ( natural) birth of my third daughter quite effectively. Clusters, however, cause a pain so intense and relentless that I have zero ability to focus myself enough to step away from it.

I would be interested to learn any techniques that you have found helpful.

While I wouldn't have described it as meditation,  I pretty much try and get very quiet and calm during a hit too.  I can't really think of a technique for this though.  It's a bit more like after a certain amount of hits your pain tolerance increases--what used to force me up and pacing or crying in fetal position on the floor I can usually sit through these days (okay, my hand is often on my eye, and this doesn't work for KIP8+). 

I then just wait it out, and for the most part my mind goes blank until the pain is gone.  Come to think of it is VERY much like vipassana meditation.  I did have an ex that was VERY into that but I never consciously decided this is what I'm going to do--over the years my response has just evolved to that.  I'm not sure if (other than the calmness lack of tension factor) it helps me deal with the pain as much as it helps me hide it from people, which I'm not sure is a healthy way to deal with this but the stoic thing is somewhat my personality.

There are a lot of online instructions for vipassana, and you can go to meditation retreats for free to learn about it if you desire.   This blog has a hilarious account of a failed attempt at a retreat  (warning:  I doubt everything on this blog is safe for work):  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #23 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 1:14am

No doubt that meditation could be very beneficial to cluster patients or to anyone suffering severe pain. The problem is, the only way for it to be truly effective is for the one meditating to focus on his pain; not the psycho-emotional reactions surrounding the pain but the actual, physical sensations of the pain itself. Nobody wants to do that.

Ron

This is the method I use when in the depths of all too frequent 10s.
My entire focus goes into the pain and it becomes allmost like a separation from the body. The pain converts to a different feeling but too often the interuption of reality slams it back front and center. Easier in the middle of the night than in the day when more distractions exist.

We all have our own special way of dealing with extreme pain and each is different.

MJ

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #24 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 8:03am

Marc wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 7:59am:
I've been "driven" to places like that a few times by reaching point that I just couldn't take any more. It did indeed almost feel like I was able to step outside of the loop and look back in a more detached manner. An interesting experience to say the least.

It's my belief that this happens when our bodies really start pumping the endorphins.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!