Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 453788 times)
JackBurton
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Near a Great Lake
Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #600 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 3:56pm

Hi!

I was diagnosed with CH in the ER 2 weeks ago, then saw my PCP 6 days ago and was set up with O2, prescribed 180 mg verapamil to start and a 15 day prednisone tape starting at 50 mg. The next day I started researching cluster headaches, found this forum. I found this thread very interesting and took lots of notes and started the anti-inflammatory regimen to the best of my ability about 5 days ago. I have supplements from various previous experiments to feel better, so they're not exactly has been suggested but I am okay with using them for now to save money.

Okay, long intro done, now to my question. Am I doing this right? I am taking:

Barleans Fish Oil Omega-3 1000 mg each; 2-3 a day with meals

Kirkland Vitamin D3 2000 IU; 2 with 2 meals a day, 1 at bedtime = 10,000 IU

Womens One a Day multivitamin which has:
1000 IU vitamin D3
25 mcg vitamin K
50 mg magnesium
15 mg zinc
500 mg calcium (elemental)
So that brings my D3 total up to 11,000 IU a day

I have a calcium-magnesium supplement but it's calcium carbonate with magnesium oxide, so absorption seems to be an issue. Plus with the verapamil its driving me crazy to figure out the best time to take it. Instead right now I am skipping it (the cal/mag supplement, not the verapamil) and using a magnesium supplement to see if I can approximate a 2:1  cal/mag ratio with the calcium in the multivitamin. Magnesium citrate 200 mg once a day, which is 500 mg calcium to 250 mg magnesium. I don't know if that is enough?

I also take a b complex vitamin for general health and energy, and have started taking 6 mg melatonin at night.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2012 at 4:00pm by JackBurton »  

IP Logged

IndianaJohn
CH.com Hall of Famer

Into the jaws of the Beast

Decatur,Indiana,USA
Reply #601 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 4:50pm

I usually take the vitamins in the morning with a glass of OJ and then I take my verapamil at dinner.  The timing of the verapamil seems to be working for me as my night hits are being controlled fairly well.

Batch will probably weigh in on your formulations, but your magnesium seems low.  I take 400 mg/day.  I also take up to 15 mg melatonin a night.

Hope your getting some PF time.

John

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #602 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 5:47pm

FYI to the newbies on this regimen...Calcium citrate alone on an empty stomach has been known to cause nausea.  Take the vitamins with food! Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #603 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 3:17am

Zeitgeist - Thank you for your answer.

JackBurton - I would highly recommend you grab some Calcium Citrate. I take Calcium Citrate with D3 300mg/200 IU. All the vitamins I take cost me roughly about $30 a month (Canadian), yet I'd pay ten times that no problem.

FWIW. I take all 1200 mg of Calcium Citrate with D3 in the morning or early afternoon, almost always on an empty stomach and have never had nausea.

I take all vitamins / supplements in the Morning or early afternoon all at the same time, with juice or water. No nausea or stomach issues at all. I was worried at first after reading this thread, since it seemed to be an issue with people. I now think that its more the exception, yet I'm just guessing there.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2012 at 2:09pm by PlayDoh »  

As strong and tough as CH's are, I AM STRONGER!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #604 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 4:55am

JackBurton wrote on Jan 15th, 2012 at 3:56pm:
Okay, long intro done, now to my question. Am I doing this right? I am taking:

Barleans Fish Oil Omega-3 1000 mg each; 2-3 a day with meals

Kirkland Vitamin D3 2000 IU; 2 with 2 meals a day, 1 at bedtime = 10,000 IU

Womens One a Day multivitamin which has:
1000 IU vitamin D3
25 mcg vitamin K
50 mg magnesium
15 mg zinc
500 mg calcium (elemental)
So that brings my D3 total up to 11,000 IU a day

I have a calcium-magnesium supplement but it's calcium carbonate with magnesium oxide, so absorption seems to be an issue. Plus with the verapamil its driving me crazy to figure out the best time to take it. Instead right now I am skipping it (the cal/mag supplement, not the verapamil) and using a magnesium supplement to see if I can approximate a 2:1  cal/mag ratio with the calcium in the multivitamin. Magnesium citrate 200 mg once a day, which is 500 mg calcium to 250 mg magnesium. I don't know if that is enough?

Hey JB,

You're doing just fine and you've got all the supplements down pat...  Everything should be looking good in no time!

As Old Jack would say:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"What the Hell...  It's all in the reflexes..."

Not too many gals dig John Carpenter flicks... or is there a connection we can't see?

In any event, with all the goodies you've got to keep the beast away...  something is bound to work and this should be a cake walk near the Great lake.

Take care and keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2012 at 4:57am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

JackBurton
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Near a Great Lake
Reply #605 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 1:50pm

Wait, are you saying there are people out there who don't like John Carpenter films?  Shocked

Big Trouble in Little China is one favorite movies. I am a total and cheerful dork. Maybe a geek?  Well, up until my head decided to start plotting to drive me miserable and in agonizing pain. I want to get back to baseline so I can geek it up again.

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2012 at 1:56pm by JackBurton »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #606 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 3:49pm

Hmmm...  Geek... a total and cheerful dork... likes John Carpenter flicks including Big Trouble in Little China... lives by a Great Lake...  What's not to like about that?  You're my kind of CH'er...  Smiley

Now we gotta get you in control of the beast so there are no more "dark and stormy nights when the lighting's crashing and the thunder's roaring and the rain's coming down in sheets thick as lead"

Besides that...  none of us want a big ol' hairy scary beast climbing around the backside of our sleeper cab... when the earth shakes and the poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Smiley

Even if we can take it...

Hang in there JB...  and please keep us posted.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2012 at 1:30am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Cosworth
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Indianapolis|USA||0|0|IN,Indiana
Reply #607 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 10:55am

Without going back through this entire thread, can anyone comment on incidence of nausea being reported?  I've been doing the regimen for about four weeks now and over the last week or so i'm finding that i'm nauseos a LOT.  I take 10,000 iu's of D3, 650 mg. Calcium citrate, 400 mg. magnesium citrate, multivitamin, 2 fish oil capsules which provide 1200 mg.  I typically take another dose of fish oil, plus vitamin C before bed, but i've stopped doing that because my stomach's been so torn up.  I'm really bummed. Shadows are increasing, and i'm not sure if the regimen is what's making me feel so lousy.

IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #608 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 2:55pm

It doesn't seem like nausea is that prevalent, yet perhaps most people take the regime with food, which should help with stomach upset / nausea.

Do you take your with food? If not, try that.

I'm still not 100% clear on everything, yet perhaps your 'fish oil' isn't ideal. Does it give you a DHA and EPA count? Its kinda like vitamin D, which from what I've learned is the same as D3. unless I'm mistaken. Yet when you look at the vitamin shelf there are Vitamin D bottles beside D3 bottles.

Also there's half a dozen different Omega 3 / fish oil bottles that probably all have the same thing inside them.

I would suspect the Fish oil would be the cause of Nausea, so try to take those with food, and I don't think you need 4 pills worth. I'd try switching brands and get a Omega 3 'select' so you don't need as much 'oil' to get the desired ingredients (DHA and EPA).

My 3 pills of Omega 3 'select' provide 900 mg EPA (300 each) and 600 mg of DHA (200 each), with 1500 mg Omega 3 fatty acids (500 each) (derived from 1000 mg of pure molecularly distilled sardine and anchovy oil). Their "Jamison" brand.

IP Logged

RTD
CH.com Junior

I thought it was just
me

Las Vegas
Reply #609 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 4:11pm

So Batch, I got my 25(OH)D test results back and they came in at 58 nmol/L. Curious what to think. While I have had some good days in the last week, yesterday was one of the worst. I had the worst HA I've had in the last 3 years. In your opinion where am I at with a result of 58? Should it be higher? Should I keep going?

Oh a side note my new buddy Gregg helped me out with getting the O2 and I should have my new mask tomorrow (man I could have used it yesterday) so I should be good to try to fight back. 

Thanks in advance
Rick

Thank God for my Wife and CH.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1192958797  
IP Logged

CC_stole_my_Harte
CH.com Junior

Life's a garden, DIG IT?!

Tyler, Texas
Reply #610 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 4:15pm

I'm only to page 6 on this thread but I just had to post because I'm so excited! I went out just now and got all the supplies. I also got some redbull for hubby to drink before o2 (we are new to o2 and I aborts but does not "stick." they come back). I am currently drinkIng one of the redbull myself because I've Been unable to sleep since his remission ended and life is kind of a drag for both of us right now...

So he had his first HA in 3.5 years on Saturday. Before remission he had them from age 6 till age 28. Always episodic and following the same 1 mo on/ 3 mo off schedule. No hit Sunday night. Then got hit Monday night @ a 7+. Tuesday he tried to nap on a break at 9 am and 30 min later got an attack. So I ran out and spent $330 rigging up some welders o2 for him. Another hit started Tuesday afternoon, stopped by the o2.

Last night he had to attempt aborting with o2 THREE times before it went away. And then twice again today. The beast doesn't like to be pushed back, he just throws a temper tantrum later Angry

As soon as he gets back from his testosterone shot I will give him all these supps!

I'm really hoping for a quick reaction time. He has been working his ASS off preparing for a CrossFit competition this weekend that he could place well in. The HA could ruin all his hard work Sad

I'll chime in tomorrow!

WWW www.facebook.com/jamieeelynn  
IP Logged

MemyselfandI
CH.com Newbie

Ontario, Canada
Reply #611 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 5:47pm

RTD,
You are in the same situation I am in.  At the start of January I tested at 58nmol/l.  Unfortunately we have to build up to a vit d level of 150 nmol/l to be at the low end of where most people are going pf.  Hopefully you've been able to see some reduction in intensity of the beast as your 25(oh) d levels are slowly increasing. 
I'm still getting hit daily.  Usually they are mild but on occasion the beast will come back with a larger bite.

Hang in there, you'll get there soon Smiley

IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #612 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 5:48pm

RDT, that's low. I think its 23.2 ng/ml. Ideally you want 90 ng/ml, if I'm not mistaken, so I'd say your very low.

CC_stole_my_Harte, I would tell him to avoid 'naps' they always bring on a CH for me and many others. I know we all need sleep, but if possible try to avoid it.

IP Logged

RTD
CH.com Junior

I thought it was just
me

Las Vegas
Reply #613 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 5:59pm

MemyselfandI wrote on Jan 18th, 2012 at 5:47pm:
RTD,
You are in the same situation I am in.  At the start of January I tested at 58nmol/l.  Unfortunately we have to build up to a vit d level of 150 nmol/l to be at the low end of where most people are going pf.  Hopefully you've been able to see some reduction in intensity of the beast as your 25(oh) d levels are slowly increasing. 
I'm still getting hit daily.  Usually they are mild but on occasion the beast will come back with a larger bite.

Hang in there, you'll get there soon Smiley

That's interesting cause my doc called and said my level is normal at 58 But i thought I saw somewhere on this thread a level between 60-90 is what were shooting for..... I had had a few days of milder hits until yesterday and then BOOM K10. I'm going to keep at it but highly considering Verapimil again.

Rick 

IP Logged

RTD
CH.com Junior

I thought it was just
me

Las Vegas
Reply #614 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 6:01pm

PlayDoh wrote on Jan 18th, 2012 at 5:48pm:
RDT, that's low. I think its 23.2 ng/ml. Ideally you want 90 ng/ml, if I'm not mistaken, so I'd say your very low.

CC_stole_my_Harte, I would tell him to avoid 'naps' they always bring on a CH for me and many others. I know we all need sleep, but if possible try to avoid it.

Yep no naps!!! And that sucks because I love naps Angry

IP Logged

CC_stole_my_Harte
CH.com Junior

Life's a garden, DIG IT?!

Tyler, Texas
Reply #615 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 7:31pm

I don't think he had an issue with naps before, but it seems to be an issue now.  Definitely avoiding for now.  "Anxiously" awaiting tonight to see if the D3, combined with redbull before 02 will help him get some blessed sleep tonight.  Course I probably still won't be getting any Undecided  Anytime he so much as twitches I am wide awake.

WWW www.facebook.com/jamieeelynn  
IP Logged

MemyselfandI
CH.com Newbie

Ontario, Canada
Reply #616 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 8:47pm

RTD wrote on Jan 18th, 2012 at 5:59pm:
That's interesting cause my doc called and said my level is normal at 58 But i thought I saw somewhere on this thread a level between 60-90 is what were shooting for..... I had had a few days of milder hits until yesterday and then BOOM K10. I'm going to keep at it but highly considering Verapimil again.

Rick 

My pcp had wanted me to take 1000 iu of vit d to get my level up to 80 nmol/L.  She considered that good.  Still well below what people are finding is necessary.  According to Batch's chart it will take approximately 40 days, at 10000 iu vit d/day, to reach the 150 nmol/L. 
I'm curious why your doc had given the 25(oh)D level in nmol/L.  I see that you're in America where typically the vit d level is expressed in ng/ml.  The rest of the world typically uses nmol/L.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #617 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 1:09am

Rick,
Could it have been the buffet lunch?  Hope not, cuz i'm game for Friday if you got time!?

On the Marshall Protocol study site, 25-D levels are typically discussed using ng/ml units rather than pmol/L. The ratio between the two units is: 2.4 ng/ml = 1 nmol/L. To convert nmol/L into ng/ml, multiply by 0.40, as you see in this example based on RTD's test result:

58 nmol/L * .40 = 23.2 ng/mL

My D test result was 103.0 ng/mL and flagged as HIGH.  My lab report stated "recent studies consider the lower limit of 32.0 mg/mL to be a threshold for optimal health."

This vitamin regimen is not 100% effective, despite it working for many.  Personally, I would not wait/gamble on this to be your #1 preventive and go with the Verapamil.

Hope tonight is PF for you.  Did the o2 mask arrive yet?
Talk tomorrow.
-Gregg

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

RTD
CH.com Junior

I thought it was just
me

Las Vegas
Reply #618 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 8:17am

Gregg,

1:09 am? Dam you stay up late. Yeah its my bad on the nmol/L   ng/mL Thing. My doc called me with the results so I'm sure it was ng/mL. It was his office girl who initially called and just said my levels were fine. I had to ask her for the number, so I'm sure it was the ng/mL range.... Didn't get the mask yet, hopefully today.

Friday sounds good, I just have to be more careful of what I eat. I should have known better. Besides I finally got the building permit for that job so I will be out of town a lot over the next month so I'd like to get together before this weekend. It does my brain good to talk to someone who knows what we deal with.  Wink

I'll call you later this morning
RTD

IP Logged

Dorothy
CH.com Newbie

Veteran CH victim

x0|Sunderland|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #619 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:41am

Hi folks!

I just started taking these supplements last week in the hope that I might not even go into cycle.  OMG they are huge capsules to swallow!  Well if I don't choke to death in the meantime I'll let you know whether I eventually do go into cycle or not.... Tongue

Dorothy
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:42am by Dorothy »  

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #620 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:50pm

This regimen is more than vitamin D. I don't know what my levels were back in late June when I begun following the regime, having to eat 18 pills á 400 I.U (max allowed in Norway).  But I know where I came from, May and June being particularly evil, and the last 12 months my first encounter with the chronic version of CH.

However - my point is: The effect of the regimen was instant and I was PF the third night.  One may wonder why, because building up the optimal levels of Vit D serum takes time. That's why I sometimes get the feeling that  Ca and Mg don't get the credit the probably deserve, especially Mg.  I actually broke out of a vicious cycle and a cycle of cycles (chronic CH) in a matter of days. That's close to busting if you ask me.

Another important point:  Split Mg in one morning and one evening dose, and always eat Vit D with food, preferably with fat.

-zg

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #621 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:51pm

Rick,
Go to your profile settings and reset your clock.  I wrote that at 10:09pm, your profile must be set for EST, adjust it to PST for accuracy.

Speaking of time, don't you think you've given this vitamin regimen enough chance and it's time to start the Verapamil?  You don't have to stop it completely as there are addtl health benefits besides CH's. 

What if you're like me and this vitamin regimen is worthless for CH's?  I had the longest cycle in 32 years of suffering because I took the gamble relying solely on this vitamin regimen would work for me and prolonged taking Verapamil until i couldn't take it anymore. 

You've now got local support and a new friend here to help.

-Gregg

IP Logged

RTD
CH.com Junior

I thought it was just
me

Las Vegas
Reply #622 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 2:17pm

Hulk,

Adjusted the clock. probably going to try the verap soon although I may have to run off to Cali as my mom is not doing very well. Having some tests done on her liver right now and may be admitted later today. I'll know more later

RTD

IP Logged

RTD
CH.com Junior

I thought it was just
me

Las Vegas
Reply #623 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 2:20pm

PlayDoh wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 1:40pm:
Zeitgeist wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:50pm:
However - my point is: The effect of the regimen was instant and I was PF the third night.  One may wonder why, because building up the optimal levels of Vit D serum takes time. That's why I sometimes get the feeling that  Ca and Mg don't get the credit the probably deserve, especially Mg.  I actually broke out of a vicious cycle and a cycle of cycles (chronic CH) in a matter of days. That's close to busting if you ask me.

I very much agree, and 5 times I've dropped my Ca intake in half I get shadows the same night. I'm thinking 5 times can't be coincidence, yet it is possible.

Since Calcium uses D3 to get absorbed, I'm thinking perhaps its helping by just increasing Ca absorption. Perhaps even if you get enough Ca in your diet, but are D3 deficient, you end up not getting enough Ca in your system. Which would explain why some don't need much or any Ca supplements, yet get relief from D3.

This is all speculation, and I almost feel like I'm 'stepping on toes' by doing so, but I can't help but follow the logic. Like you said, if D3 takes a prolonged time to reach increased levels, the almost instant response doesn't seem to make sense.

I've been taking a look at my diet, and I'm now aware of how little Ca I get on a regular basis.

Food for thought  Wink

I thought it was the other way around. The D3 needs the calcium to get absorbed Huh

Rick

IP Logged

hangup27
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #624 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:23pm

There was too much good info in this thread to follow each post. BUT...

I started taking D3, Omega 3 Fish oil, and melatonin ( at night). Seems to have helped.

( could also be verapamil taking effect)

Thanks for all the info.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!