Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 448477 times)
Cosworth
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Indianapolis|USA||0|0|IN,Indiana
Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #625 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:43pm

PlayDoh wrote on Jan 18th, 2012 at 2:55pm:
It doesn't seem like nausea is that prevalent, yet perhaps most people take the regime with food, which should help with stomach upset / nausea.

Do you take your with food? If not, try that.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mr Doh, thanks for the reply. Yes, do take with food so I'm not sure what it is either. I actually had been on fish oil prior to starting the vitamin regimen as my orthopaedic surgeon (knee troubles) recommended high doses (2-3 grams) per day.  I read a lot about fish oil supplements and have tried several - the current one being a nordic naturals brand.  These are highly purified as you mentioned so you are getting a lot more DHA and EPA per 1000 mg. of oil.  For example one brand has 650 mg EPA/450 DHA /180 "other omega 3's in every 2000 mg of oil.   I have another much cheaper brand (Nature Made) that is 720 mg of omega 3's  (360 EPA/300 DHA/60 "other") per 1200 mg of oil.  So, don't think it's the fish  oil as it never bothered me before, but who knows?  If you do some on-line reading about the whole fish oil market it can get really confusing as all the "high end" (read most expensive) brands claim their product is the best, most bi0-available, blah blah.  I may just have to start experimenting taking away one item at a time from the regimen. I hate to do this as I believe it was helping me.  But, the bad news is I increased from 10,000 iu's to 20,000 iu's this week of D3 because i've had almost constant shadows last couple days and even occasionally that really low level headache kip 1/2 that just breaks through for a bit but then fades.  Frustrating as hell. 

IP Logged

CC_stole_my_Harte
CH.com Junior

Life's a garden, DIG IT?!

Tyler, Texas
Reply #626 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 8:17am

Ok, just an update!  Today is the start of day 3 on D3 regamin, and we had a pain free night last night!!  Hoping this continues!!!!!

WWW www.facebook.com/jamieeelynn  
IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #627 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 10:05am

Awesome news CC and hangup27!

I think my Calcium theory took a hit this morning, pun intended. I got a typical shadow that I was attributing to reduced Ca intake, yet I took 1200 mg yesterday.

I should have known better to think I had something partially 'figured out', and more over to share my advice on the topic.

Not to mention its splitting hairs, and however it works, or whatever role Ca, D3, or Omega 3 have, the combination works. Nuff said. Wink

As strong and tough as CH's are, I AM STRONGER!

IP Logged

Cosworth
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Indianapolis|USA||0|0|IN,Indiana
Reply #628 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 11:30am

For Batch - just wondering if there is any evidence anecdotal or based on surveys from Episodics indicating any change in the duration of their cycle while doing this regimen. I've been on the regimen for a month now, and while I think it's stopping my CH's, i'm having much longer shadowing periods - for hours i will have heavy shadows that for me i typically only got early in a cycle and a little at the end.  My cycles have always been a bit of a bell curve, ramping up pretty quickly, staying bad (4+ hits a day) for 6-8 weeks and in total lasting 10-14 weeks on avg.  The longest cycles i've ever had seemd to be where i would use prednisone in the middle to attempt to kill the cluster but seemed to always only extend the cycle by the amount of time i was on the meds.  I guess my fear is that the regimen is similarly supressing the beast but by not letting it out to run it's course then it's actually extending the cycle.  I'm considering trying a busting method soon to see if i can stop the much more subtle (but nearly constant) pain i'm having now.  I guess i need to find time to sit and read all 25 pages of this thread

IP Logged

RTD
CH.com Junior

I thought it was just
me

Las Vegas
Reply #629 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 1:03pm

Cosworth wrote on Jan 20th, 2012 at 11:30am:
For Batch - just wondering if there is any evidence anecdotal or based on surveys from Episodics indicating any change in the duration of their cycle while doing this regimen. I've been on the regimen for a month now, and while I think it's stopping my CH's, i'm having much longer shadowing periods - for hours i will have heavy shadows that for me i typically only got early in a cycle and a little at the end.  My cycles have always been a bit of a bell curve, ramping up pretty quickly, staying bad (4+ hits a day) for 6-8 weeks and in total lasting 10-14 weeks on avg.  The longest cycles i've ever had seemd to be where i would use prednisone in the middle to attempt to kill the cluster but seemed to always only extend the cycle by the amount of time i was on the meds.  I guess my fear is that the regimen is similarly supressing the beast but by not letting it out to run it's course then it's actually extending the cycle.  I'm considering trying a busting method soon to see if i can stop the much more subtle (but nearly constant) pain i'm having now.  I guess i need to find time to sit and read all 25 pages of this thread

That is an interesting point you bring up. Through the years I have always equated any treatments I've tried, both abortive and preventive as prolonging my cycle. Other than busting I haven't used either in 4 years. I haven't used Imetrex or the like in at least 6 years as I hated the rebounds and felt it extended my cycle.   My last 3 cycles leading up to this year have been milder and shorter (3 months which is short for me) than years past. I attributed this to my age (52). My father who also had these stopped getting them at 49. So I started believing maybe I'm getting to that point. This years cycle or should I say cycles have been much worse. I say cycles because I had a 6 month right side cycle that ended in early December only to start a left side cycle 3 weeks later which I'm now dealing with. Been on this vitamin regime for a little over 3 weeks now, and seem to be having no luck. While I am very happy it works for many of you, I am seriously considering going back on verapimil due to the severity of this particular cycle. Having said that I am now set up with the O2 Thanks to my new best buddy Gregg who not only helped me with how to get supplies but also explained the proper use. I now know I did it wrong the first time I tried it before so I'm at least happy to have that. Also so very lucky to have a wife that puts up with me and them.

Rick Wink

Thank God for my Wife and CH.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1192958797  
IP Logged

anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
Reply #630 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 7:35pm

Just wanted to share my story with you guys. I have been on vit D3 for probably about a year and a half when my doc down in florida at the time had me on 50,000 iu a week. After coming back to ny and discussing with my good friend batch we decided to take 10,000 iu a day along with the cal/mag fishoil. I have to say Im not the "typical chronic" but I am a typical "chronic stuck cluster shadows" although aint nothing typical about ch! Cheesy For me Im not really sure if the D3 regime is what kept the beast from coming at higher kip levels or not but the regime definitely did not bring me pain free for sure. That being said it helps ALOT of people but not ALL. I continue to take it cause I know there is some benefit to it. I guess I am one of the 30% that it doesnt totally clear my head Sad I hope anyone who tries this great protocol that it works for some pf times!!
Just wanted to give some input.
Best to all
Anthony

IP Logged

69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Reply #631 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 7:54pm

Been on Batch's regimen for 6 weeks. First two weeks, not much help. Next 3 weeks big improvement. Only 2 HAs/day and just Kip 3 or so. I'm chronic and have had up to 8 HAs in a 24hr period with some killers. I decided to try a little test a week ago and weaned off the 900mg of lithium I'd been taking since around the time I started the D3 trial. Oops. HAs back. 4 per day about Kip 5. Thoughts? Obviously I've considered the lithium was the preventative and the D3 hasn't helped as much as I thought.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #632 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 8:17pm

It could be the combination of the two that is so effective for you.

I use both this method plus verapamil as preventives that together are working great for me. Reducing either seems to have a negative impact for me.

IP Logged

69Strat
CH.com Junior

Girls, Guitars, German
Shepherds

Reply #633 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 11:44pm

Think you're right. Back on Lithium.

IP Logged

RTD
CH.com Junior

I thought it was just
me

Las Vegas
Reply #634 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 10:21am

Well I'm going to give in and go back on the Verapimil. The vitamins just are not helping me at all. This is as bad of cycle as I've had in years. Don't know if I should stay on some kind of vitamin dosage with the verap. I heard something about the Calcium interacting with the verap in a bad way and don't know about mixing the two. I haven't felt this helpless to these things in a long time.

Rick

Thank God for my Wife and CH.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1192958797  
IP Logged

j.p.m.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Austin, TX
Reply #635 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:33pm

12 days on the regimen, and I've been almost completely PF.  I've even been able to taper the Verapamil from 240mg to 80mg per day without any adverse affect.  I think it has helped increase my energy levels and mood as well.   Between the 02 and now this, I've gotten more help from these message boards than all the doctors I've seen combined.  Huge thanks to all, and keep spreading the word.

-JPM

IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #636 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 12:31am

That's awesome J.P.M. I too have found more relief and support from this site and its members then any medical resources.

If you could, please take the survey and share your results. It only takes 5 mins, and is completely anonymous.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #637 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 1:41am

Cosworth, RTD, Hangup, Jamie, 69Strat, j.p.m., All,

Great news from CH'ers new to this regimen, and as always, good questions and comments.  Good on the new CH'ers who started this regimen and found it effective.  Your comments carry far more weight with CH'ers standing on the sideline wondering what to do than anything I could say. 

Please forgive the delay in responding.  I've run some of the questions and comments by experts in this area in order to make sure I address them as best possible. 

Like PlayDoh has asked, we still need more folks to take the survey if they've been taking the anti-inflammatory regimen for a month, had a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of their CH, or gone pain free, whichever occurs first.  It's at the following link:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

With around a third of the survey responses I expected, there's nothing in the comments that suggest this regimen extends an episodic cycle.  On the other hand and to the contrary, there's more than sufficient evidence from the survey that this regimen cut the cycle short for the majority of the episodic CH'ers.

Based on the lab results many of you have posted, PM'd, or sent by email, the optimum target therapeutic range for 25(OH)D concentration for CH'ers to remain pain free appears to be 60-90 ng/mL, (150-225 nmol/L).  This is a higher concentration than the lower threshold of 30 ng/mL, ~ 50 nmol/L, used to express the normal reference range typically listed by medical diagnostic labs when they give you the results of your tests for 25(OH)D. 

I also have lab test data on 25(OH)D concentrations from CH'ers who were still having active CH...  The highest concentration reported in this category was 42 ng/mL, (105 nmol/L).

Accordingly, if your lab results come back at less than 60 ng/mL, (150 nmol/L), that could easily explain why the beast is hammering out a tattoo with barbed drumsticks on the backside of your eye.  If your labs come back at 30 ng/mL, (75 nmol/L) or less...  it's a no brainer... you're clearly deficient… but some of you already know that.  If you haven't taken the time to ask for this lab test...  you may be whistling in the dark...

Just be aware that most physicians will look at your lab results for 25(OH)D and tell you any concentration over 30 ng/mL or 51 nmol/L is in the "Normal" range...  when you know it needs to be higher.

What I've been trying to say is that for a CH'er who wants to be pain free of the beast and remain that way, the data collected so far suggest that we need to have our 25(OH)D concentration at or above 60 ng/ml, (150 nmol/L)... 

Even after we've had a favorable response, we'll still need to continue taking this regimen with a vitamin D3 dose that keeps building our 25(OH)D concentration so that it stabilizes in a therapeutic range.

That some medical diagnostic labs here in the US express concentrations in molarity/volume vs mass/volume may reflect some kind of Eurocentrism... or it may be just a simple matter of the type of test procedure they use... or that they're owned by a European corporation... 

I don't know... and it doesn't really matter...  they could express the 25(OH)D concentration in stones per cubit, furlongs per fortnight or miles per gallon... as long as it converts to a range of 25(OH)D concentration equivalent to 60 to 90 ng/mL, (150 to 225 nmol/L).

The dose of vitamin D3 we take to get into this range and have a therapeutic response appears to be the underlying question in many of the recent posts...  Calcium and the other mineral supplements, i.e., cofactors, appear to be a related topic as is whether or not to continue taking other prescribed CH preventatives.

Take a close look at the following chart that came from a 2003 study published in the American Journal of Nutrition (attached) on the 25(OH)D  response to oral dosing with vitamin D3 conducted by Dr. Robert Heaney, M.D.  Dr. Heaney is one of the Nations top endocrinologists dedicated to the study vitamin D3 as it relates to our overall health.

I've modified his original chart to show 25(OH)D concentrations in both ng/mL and nmol/L.  I've also overlaid the color bands that reflect 25(OH)D lab results provided by many of you both before and after going pain free while taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with vitamin D3.

There are a few things you need to take away from this chart.  The first point is if you're in the pink zone and getting whacked by CH day and night...  you need to have a sufficient intake of vitamin D3 for the resulting 25(OH)D concentration to reach and stabilize in the green zone.

The second point is how much vitamin D3 to take in order to get into the green zone.  As you can see from the chart, a vitamin D3 dose of 1,000 IU/day is not going to get you there...  In short, that dog won't hunt...

Moreover, a dose of 5,000 IU/day may or may not get some of us into the green zone... The other problem with a vitamin D3 dose this low is it could take two to three months to find out...  Given that most CH'ers, myself included, are an impatient lot, and we expect immediate results when we try a new treatment for our CH...  waiting that long for a response to a medication is UNSAT, a non-starter, and an unfortunate reason to say this regimen doesn't work when it may have had the dose been high enough.

That leaves us with a conservative vitamin D3 starting dose of 10,000 IU/day.  As you can see, each higher dose of vitamin D3 results in a steeper slope of the initial 25(OH)D response curve and a higher equilibrium end state.   It doesn't take much imagination to see that a dose of vitamin D3 higher than 10,000 IU/day should have an even steeper initial response curve.  Now I'm going to use the results of another study to show how to optimize the vitamin D3 dose into a statistical slam dunk if needed.

Take a look at the following chart also developed by Dr. Heaney from the 2011 study by Garland et al, published in the American Journal of Nutrition (attached).  It's based on data collected by GrassRootsHealth in their D*Action Project where 3667 people paid to have their 25(OH)D levels tested every six months while taking various doses of vitamin D3 up to and including 10,000 IU/day and higher.

See the following link for details of the D*Action Project: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've modified this chart by drawing a line from a 25(OH)D concentration of 60 ng/mL to a point where it intersects the lower boundary of the 95% probability band around the 25(OH)D response curve from all doses of oral vitamin D3.  I've also drawn a second line from that point down to the vitamin D3 dose needed to reach that 25(OH)D concentration.  As you can see, that line comes down at a vitamin D3 dose of 20,000 IU/day.

Here's the take away...  While a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day is effective, and it will get most of us into the green zone, i.e., 25(OH)D concentration ≥ 60 ng/mL, (150 nmol/L) and for at least 70% of us who do respond with a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of our CH or go pain free...  a vitamin D3 dose of 20,000 IU/day will get 95% of us into the green zone... and likely a little faster.

What to do?  Let me first start with the obligatory non-disclaimer:  I'm not a doctor nor am I licensed to practice medicine or nutrition in the venue in which you reside... even though I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few years back...  Roll Eyes

Talk with your PCP or neurologist... whoever knows the most about your overall medical history, your CH and prescribed medications. 

I say this for two reasons...  The first is to keep my butt out of jail... and the second is to start spreading the news within the primary care and neurological community of practitioners treating CH'ers that we have a growing body of evidence that suggests this regimen of vitamins and minerals actually works to prevent CH.

You may be conducting nutritional CME with a few of them... Having said that, most physicians should be receptive and even fascinated when you explain what you want to do and why.  Provide the above data and analysis then prove it by asking for the lab test for 25(OH)D if you haven't already done so.

Now for the rest of the answer on what to do... and why... The general rule with respect to medications and supplements is to take a conservative approach...  meaning take only as much as needed to achieve a therapeutic response.  The best way to do that is start at a low dose and titrate up with progressively larger doses.

We're all a little different and we react differently to some medications...  we've heard that many times in many posts here on CH.com.

Having said that, let me challenge the conventional wisdom behind that statement... We're all carbon-based units and we all have the same number of chromosomes...  That means we should all respond to the same physiological rule sets that control human life...  under normal conditions.

For example, we should all respond to the same dose of vitamin D3, with the same eventual range of serum concentrations of 25(OH)D.  Studies have proven that.  Remember, vitamin D3 is the only "Free" vitamin.  Our bodies generate in the skin when exposed to the UVB in sunlight.  Also recall that vitamin D3 is not a true vitamin. It's actually a hormone precursor, and as such, our bodies need the cofactor minerals to generate it in sufficient quantity.

I can hear the wheels turning...  Where are we going with this discussion?  Here you go…  If we're all so different as CH'ers, and we all respond differently to some medications... then will someone please 'splain to me the following:  If we're all so different...  Why is it that we all have, under normal conditions, the exact same body temperature of 98.6º F (37º C), the same arterial pH of 7.35 to 7.45, the same serum calcium at 2.1 to 2.6 mmol/L... and the list goes on...

So lets review the bidding...  So far, 70% of the CH'ers who start this regimen have a favorable response with a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of their CH.  95% of them found relief within the first 10 days with some in as little as 24 to 48 hours.  88% of these CH'ers enjoyed a 24-hour period pain free of their CH within the first 20 days...  Of them, 66% have remained pain free.

Most of these CH'ers were taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3, but there are growing number of CH'ers who are following the treatment protocol I posted and have titrated up on their vitamin D3 dose...  some up to 30,000 IU/day.

It's ok to increase the dose of vitamin D3 above 10,000 IU/day, but only after 10 days to two weeks just to make sure there's no delayed reaction and that you've given your kidneys and liver time to come up to full production of 25(OH)D.  Even then, it's best to titrate up on the vitamin D3 by 5,000 I.U. every three to four days. 

If your CH pattern responds favorably or you reach 30,000 IU/day whichever occurs first, stay at that dose.  Also make sure you tell your PCP or neurologist...  You'll also need another lab test for 25(OH)D in 30 days along with calcium and parathyroid hormone (PTH).

Calcium...  Why is it part of this regimen?  Simple...  Most of us don't get enough of it from dietary sources.  The calcium citrate and citric acid in lemonade or limeade also forms a buffer in the stomach that can elevate arterial pH making it less acid and more alkaline.  Calcium citrate is also easier on the gut and doesn't need to be taken with food like calcium carbonate.

Calcium is the most prevalent mineral in our bodies and 99% of it is in out bones.  Our nerves wouldn't function if the serum concentration of calcium is too low or too high.  Calcium homeostasis keeps our serum concentration in a narrow range of 2.1-2.6 mmol/L, (8.4-10.5 mg/dL).  The two primary controllers in this process are calcitonin and parathyroid hormone.

If we perturb that homeostatic balance of serum calcium concentration by dumping more vitamin D3 and it's active metabolite 25(OH)D into the blood stream, they trigger a reaction that absorbs more calcium from the gut into the bloodstream...  If sufficient calcium is not present in the gut...  this process will take it from the bones...

If there's sufficient calcium in the gut, calcium homeostasis with its primary controllers, calcitonin and parathyroid hormone, takes control. Excess serum calcium is either added to the bones through accretion, or the kidneys excrete it...

Finally, as most of us will need to stay on a daily dose of vitamin D3 to remain pain free of our CH for years if not longer...  it's prudent to include at least 500 mg. of supplemental calcium to help prevent bone loss...

Why do we need the cofactors, i.e., magnesium, vitamin K, zinc and boron?  Simple... The Vitamin D Council says we do...  These supplements all play a role in the kidneys and liver as they metabolize vitamin D3 into 25(OH)D. 

How much to take is a good question.   I thank my dumb luck of selecting the Kirkland brand of calcium citrate as my source of supplemental calcium.  Two of these tablets provides 500 mg/day calcium, some extra vitamin D3, magnesium, zinc and boron...  It may be a little light on magnesium and there's no vitamin K...  but that's an easy fix.

Omega 3 Fish Oil has anti-inflammatory properties that may be helping to hold down the neurogenic inflammation that's part of the cluster headache syndrome.  It also does wonders in controlling and lowering the triglycerides or fatty lipids we burn for energy, store as fat, or that clog the arteries in our hearts...

That brings us to the frequently prescribed CH preventatives...  So far, none of them appear to interfere with the anti-inflammatory regimen... As long as a prescribed preventative is effective... continue to take it...  If it's not effective...  ask yourself... "Why am I taking it?"  Talk with your PCP or neurologist about tapering off of preventatives that are clearly not working...  after you've been on the anti-inflammatory regimen for at least a week to 10 days...

There's always going to be a red flag raised on taking calcium supplements with verapamil...  This is really a non-problem...  There are a lot of folks taking verapamil for a heart condition...  and they still need calcium supplements for one reason or another.  If their cardiologists can come up with a treatment schedule that permits them to take both verapamil and calcium supplements...  your neurologist ought to be capable of doing the same thing...   If you're unsure, skip the calcium and see what happens…

Finally we have the comorbid conditions... i.e., medical conditions you may have other than CH...  In other words, not normal... Some of these medical conditions are unrelated...  others can clearly have an impact on CH patterns and treatments.

From the above discussions, medical conditions that affect the GI tract, kidneys, liver, thyroid, and parathyroid may have an impact on the body's capacity to metabolize vitamin D3 into 25(OH)D...  There are several others with the potential to cause problems like diabetes, COPD, sinusitis, and allergic reactions...

The bottom line here follows...  If the anti-inflammatory regimen has not resulted in a favorable response with a reduction in the frequency and severity of your CH after 30 days or less...  there may be a good reason... other than... "It didn't work for me..."  Ask your PCP or neurologist to look for it.

Hope this helps,

Take care,

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2012 at 10:01pm by Batch »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (160 KB | 0 )

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #638 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:23am

I feel like printing that post out a few hundred thousand times and mailing it to every CH'er, Neurologist, Doctor and pharmacist alive today.

You always seem to sum up every bit of pertinent info, in the most clear and easy to understand way. I wholeheartedly believe you should write a book and/or medical journal.

I recently watched a TV show (The Nature of things with David Suzuki), about Autism (Autism Enigma). Out of all the experts and scientists, it was a mother of an autistic child who did research. She noted how her Autistic child had abnormal stools and learned of a bacteria in the gut that could be responsible.

She hypothesized that this bacterial imbalance could play a role in Autism and wrote numerous medical researchers regarding the matter. Only one took her notion seriously and actually implemented a study. Low and behold the children's autism nearly disappeared and they became almost normal while taking medication to effect the stomachs bacteria appropriately. However the effects eventually 'wore off', sort to speak, due to the nature of resiliency.

Yet this Gut-Brain-Autism relationship is now at the forefront of Autism research. All started by a house-wife. I love it.

Sorry to get off track, but I think someday the world of CH will look back at Batch's work, and to some extent NHS, as the catalyst of great understanding and effective treatment.

I can't thank you enough for your work Batch. You have in no exaggeration, have given me a great part of my life back. To be PF is such a blessing, and I rejoice in it every morning I wake up fully rested and not drained of most of my energy and optimism for the future. I have a 1 1/2 year old whom I now get to spend even more time with. I could go on for hours listing the ways my life is better, and its only been just over a month.

"Thank you" seems such a weak reward I can give, yet if my sincerity can somewhat strengthen that reward, I hope it does.

IP Logged

jonmach
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ocan city md
Reply #639 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:56am

Great Thread
I have been controlling the beast with pharmaceutical grade nutritional for 10  years.  oxygen has been an incredible friend for years.
I take quite the regimen of nutritional 3 things being the key to effectiveness
1. Omega 3 fatty acids.    there are many on the market but few that have the proper dosages of DHA vs  EPA. and the process and origin of where and how they are farmed and produced.  also Oleic acid are Omega 9 fatty acids and a key to helping the DHA EPA enter the system effectively.  the Pharmaceutical grade avail by prescription only are your best bet.  or email me and i will hook you up with the best on the market OTC.
2. OPC's very high powered antioxidants.  great anti inflammatory qualities with better saturation of O2 on the cellular level being key.  Oxygen therapy on the cellular level
OPC's again ingredients quality and quantity are key.  email me and i will share the best i have found.
3. Vit D3 with k2 this is very good for cardiovascular health and healthy arteries.  once again o2 on the cell level.  Sun Shine in a bottle.  once again quality is key and i can help with what i have found to be the best. 
i also utilize an antioxidant called Orac similar to OPC's Different family.  also use Colloidal minerals a multi vit and Co-Enzyme Q 10 also for cardiovascular health and o2 efficiency.
I have taken control of the beast for better than a decade with my regimen and forgot just how bad things can get till last year when i got lazy with nutritional for 6 months.  got a visitor i never wanted to see again.  back on track and am in cycle now with no break thru.  i would say i spend 180 to 220 dollars a month and what i recieve for this investment is pricless.  been to hell and back a few times in this game.  I have been off all pharmaceuticlas since 1998. Hope this helps and am here for anyone who needs me.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL
719 243 3229 / bushido39@yaoo.com
Jon M

IP Logged

RichardN
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1|Crossville|USA,Tn
Reply #640 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 10:47pm

Hi Batch

I'm back online after several months. 

First post has to be a THANK YOU.  The last 02 tanks (six "E"s) I got was 10/14/11 . . . . I would have had at least two full tanks when I got them.  I currently have two full and one partially full tanks.  This past summer  was horrendous and was using 2-3 tanks daily . . . many faster-than-normal Kip 8s.

PAIN FREE SINCE SECOND WEEK OF NOVEMBER!   . . . after being chronic since 1/01 . . . normal triggers aren't affecting me (exhaust fumes, solvents, etc.) . . . I've even had a couple of double brandy/water drinks this past two weeks (Still nervous about the "beer test"). . . . I'm ecstatic . . .pretty sure I can get used to this . . . . . and if this (unaccustomed) PF time continues I'm optimistic about working again.

Thanks again, and now that my puter' is up and running again I'll be back in the boat grabbing an oar.

Be Safe,    PFDANS

Richard

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
lastchantsranch  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #641 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 6:29am

Hey Richard,

Thanks for the update...  Three months PF...  Woo Hoo...  That's exactly the kind of success story I love to hear from a CH'er taking the anti-inflammatory regimen... 

I'm particularly happy you're optimistic about going back to work...  It's an amazing feeling isn't it?

Now you're in the same boat and along for the ride with me and all the other CCH types who responded to this regimen...  It's a wonderful cruise ship called Excellent QOL...  Something none of us thought possible with CH.

The admission price for this pain free pleasure cruise is you'll just need to stay on this regimen a good while if not for life like me, but that's a small price to pay as we both still have CCH.  It's the vitamin D3 that's keeping us PF and likely keeping us a lot more healthy in the process.

And PlayDoh...  Thanks again for the kind words.  The proof is in the pudding... It's not what I've been saying, it's what so many other CH'ers, like you and Richard, are telling us about their response to the anti-inflammatory regimen that counts most.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Danish girl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #642 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 9:14am

Ok here goes.
I,m new here and not a sufferer myself, but married to one the last 15 years. He only got diagnosed in 2010, so we're still trying to work out what works and what doesn't....though he has known the beast for ever. It was just diagnosed as migraine earlier on.

I read about this on the danish forum, where the well known NIels has been very active "selling" the D-vitamine-treatment. So now I've spend the last 48 hours reading in this forum, trying to get an overvue of just a small amount of all the information in here. And what a great place to be  Cheesy I'm overwhelmed!

Well, we started the treatment with a smaller amount of D3, magnesia, zink, omega3 and so on 6 nights ago, after the first week of a cycle building up. And after adjusting the D3 to a slightly higher dose, my husband has only had 2 small attacks the last 2 days - and is at work today! Something that would NEVER have occurred during his "normal" 5-7 weeks cycles.  Shocked

So we're VERY optimistic and continues.

Thank you so SO much for this great source of knowledge and inspiration. And thanks to all sharing their experiences in here.
Love from Denmark Smiley

P.S. he's also on the O2 (- this is what all CH-sufferers is offered to have for treatment in Denmark - combined with verapamil and different sumatriptan products.) The O2 is delivered and everything Cheesy
Hooray for free healthcare - even though we then have to pay 38% in taxes to our government  Shocked...as the lowest income tax.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #643 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 12:36pm

Hey there Danish Girl,

Thank you for the wonderful news about your husband's response to vitamin D3 and the other supplements.  Niels is spot on recommending this regimen.  He tried to tell us about the use of vitamin D3 as a CH preventative in 2009...

Take your husband in for the lab test for 25-Hydroxyvitamin D, a.k.a. 25(OH)D, the serum level metabolite of vitamin D3.  As he is still having an occasional CH, I'm guessing his concentration of 25(OH)D will be somewhere between 40 and 60 ng/mL, (100 and 150 nmol/L).

Thanks again for the wonderful news.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

PlayDoh
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #644 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:02pm

I had an appointment at the University hospitals Headache clinic, yet I've been PF for over 2 months now. I brought in a list of the regime ingredients, and told the Neurologist how it stopped my cluster in 2 days.

She didn't seem to be that impressed, or already knew about it. It was a pretty quick appointment, and she only had time to let me know what to do if I get another cluster. She actually said to me, "if your clusters return", in a manor that implied the regime may keep them away. Even though I didn't suggest that.

She showed me a list of Vitamins that they give to people with "normal headaches". It had everything but Omega 3 and Calcium. Yet only 2000 IU of D3 was suggested.

Its at least interesting to note that I went PF while only taking the regime with only 1200 IU of D3, by accident. Also that she reminded me that Verapamil is the 'go-to" medication, which is a Calcium-Channel Blocker. I continue to suspect that Calcium has a large role to play in my relief, yet the interactions of Calcium and D3 make distinction almost moot.

I feel I should have been more explicit about the Regime, but I was shocked when even the nurse asked me if I was taking supplements while filling out the chart for the Dr.

Great News on the success Danish girl and RichardN. Dont forget to take the survey if you can spare 5 mins of time. Its best to wait a couple weeks of being on the regime, or longer.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:10pm by PlayDoh »  

IP Logged

MemyselfandI
CH.com Newbie

Ontario, Canada
Reply #645 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 9:54pm

Hey Gang,
I have good news to report.  It's taken almost 9 weeks and I've finally had a week and a half that is pain free.  I think the regimen has been successful for me. 
My current cycle started at the start of November and none of the standard verpamil/prednisone treatments were able to break it.  After 3 weeks on the Vit D treatment my 25(OH) D level was at 23.5 ng/ml.  Over time on the vit d regimen the headache intensity dropped over time and I started to have pf days.  The longer I stayed with the treatment the greater number of pf days that I was having.  It got to a point that I didn't need an abortive for the mild hits. 
I did up my dose of vit d (to 15k) for almost 1.5 months to get my 25(oh)D up into the safe zone faster.  Now that I've been pf I've started to wean back down. 

I did notice something interesting.  During the phase when I was raising my vit d level the hits were getting milder.  When I came down with a cold, that caused me to breath through my mouth (which can effect your body's ph) the intensity and frequency of the hits increased.  Now during this time I would estimate that I was still on the edge of the active cluster headache territory, according to Batch's chart.  It maybe coincidence but something to keep in the back of our minds. 

I did make one change to the regimen.  I upped the dose of magnesium to 400mg/day.  I had read at a number of different natural health sites that people taking 400mg/day of magnesium had beneficial responses to various types of headaches. 

Next time I'm in to see my pcp I will try to get her to run the 25(oh)d test to see where the level is while pf. 

Who would have thought that such a simple regimen could have such a positive effect for such a number of people.  Thank you to all those people who have helped further this treatment.  It really does make a big difference to so many people.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #646 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:11am

Hey MM&I,

Great status report on your experience with the anti-inflammatory regimen.  I'm happy it's working well for you.  The fact that you had a serum concentration of 23.5 ng/mL 25(OH)D after three weeks on this regimen certainly explains why it took 9 weeks to finally go completely pain free...

That's a great message and lesson in patience for a lot of the CH'ers who have yet to respond to this regimen or gave up taking it when they didn't have a favorable response after three to four weeks.

Dr. Peter Lewis, M.D., an integrative physician in Australia who regularly treats patients deficient in vitamin D3 indicated he has seen many cases where his patients started vitamin D3 therapy at 10,000 IU/day with a 25(OH)D serum concentration of 20 ng/mL, and it took up to three months to reach 60 ng/mL.

According to Dr. Robert Heaney, M.D., one of the Jedi Masters of vitamin D3 therapy, there are a lot of factors involved in building 25(OH)D levels.  These factors range from the vitamin D3 dose, the rate at which vitamin D3 is metabolized by the kidneys and liver into 25(OH)D, how fast the body consumes 25(OH)D and how fast the body's fatty tissues absorb it.

If you throw in a comorbid medical condition that affects the kidneys, liver, or thyroid...  all bets are off on how long it will take to elevate the serum concentration of 25(OH)D to therapeutic levels sufficient to prevent CH.

Even a common cold appears to have an affect on my CH.  My headache logs before I started the anti-inflammatory regimen indicated the same increase in frequency and severity during a cold as you experienced. 

When I asked my doctor at NIH if he knew why that happens... (he also has a Ph.D in immunology), He explained the inflammation associated with a viral infection like a cold (viral rhinitis), could easily spread beyond the upper respiratory tract including the sphenopalatine ganglia that link directly to the areas in and around the trigeminal nerves that affect the cluster headache.

Take care and thanks again for the update.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #647 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 10:35pm

I've been on the program for several weeks now and no change.  If anything the beast has awakened.  The last 5 weeks have been brutal.  However, I had blood work done today, so I'll be hearing from the Dr soon about the D3 levels.  I'm planning to up the dosage substantially to see if I can get any relief then.

So glad to hear from all that it works for!  I always rejoice at good fortune.  It gives hope that one day I'll find the magic bullet too.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #648 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 1:55am

Hey Jerry,

Hang in there...  Having an old hand CH'er like you give this regimen a try is encouraging...  Knowing your 25(OH)D levels is an important indicator.

Upping the vitamin D3 dose might just speed up the process...  Several CH'ers have done this with success by taking 15,000 IU/day for 3 to 5 days to see if that works, then increasing the dose to 20,000 IU/day.  And don't forget to take the caldium, as well as the cofactor minerals, magnesium, zinc and boron.

9 weeks to three months for a favorable response is not unreasonable if the initial 25(OH)D levels were lower than 30 ng/mL

The other thing to check involves other possible comorbid medical disorders.  CH'ers who have had lengthy response times or not responded at all to this regimen, have also suffered from one or more conditions affecting the heart. liver, kidney, thyroid, pancreas, allergies or digestive disorders...

Again, hang in there and Semper Fi

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

bsic
CH.com Junior

Reply #649 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 10:35am

Guys,

Some information on my history with this regimen.  I can say with 100% certainty that it works, but i also am wondering if it is prolonging my cycle. 

This current cycle has gone for 3X my typical and still going strong.

• ~Dec 1, my cycle starts.
  • Mid Dec i read this very thread
  • Dec 22nd I measure my 25OHD and start the regimen at 10000IU.

At the time i started it, my 25OHD was 20.9 ng/ml.  I started taking 10000UI and initially my attacks intensified.. after a week or so they started aborting much faster with O2 than they had before the regimen.  But still waking up 3-4 times per night.

• Jan 1st : I then tried increasing to 20000IU 

Within 2-3 days, they tapered off to 1-2 hits per day, VERY light (kip1-2), and a few min on the O2 nailed em.  I kept this up for a few weeks.

• Jan 15th - pain free period begins for a few days for the first time. 

I had my 25OHD measured again on 1/30.. this time, it was 104.  Most nights PF, some with weaker attacks near my normal wake time, and a few rare days where a stubborn one popped up.   But very tolerable and far better.

• Feb 5th, they all but disappeared. 
  • Feb 9th, I lowered my D back down to 10000IU for three days

After those three days I was getting hit again!  And hit BAD.  Moving up to kip4-6, and getting 2-3 at night.  I increased back to 20000, and over the next 1-2 weeks id have some good nights, some bad.

• Feb 12th, increase back to 20000IU

Over the next 10 days- some nights good, some not so good.  None awful.  A couple hit Kip7 but O2 nailed em fairly quickly.

• Feb 24th, pain free again... 100%.  I go 7 nights PF without a trace of even a shadow.

And on top of that, i just FELT good.  Felt like i did physically/emotionally before the cycle started in Dec.  I felt like ME again for the first time... the previous pain free periods had me cautiously optimistic, but still felt tired, cranky, depressed, and just not myself.  But this time was different-- 7 days of feeling great, no pain, just out in the clear.  Life is good... right?

• March 1, I go one night where I (accidentally) skip the regimen.
  • March 3rd (today) got hit twice again.  

So the conclusion is definitely that the D regimen helps.  Every time i reduce or stop taking it, ~2 days later I get hit again.   So it WORKS.  For me.

BUT- -- i have NEVER EVER had a cycle nearly this long.  Usually 3-5 weeks total.  We are on week 15.   

So I am not only fearful that this D is pronlonging my cycle, but at SOME POINT my 25OHD is just going to get to toxic levels.  Ive been taking 20000IU for months now.  I cant keep taking that much, but its apparent that if i stop, my CH will come back quickly.

If you have the same type of story, please SHARE here so all are well informed.

Bill

My hypothalamus is bigger than yours.
bsicaras  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!