Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 447276 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #1225 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:13am

Hey Judge Smalls,

Thanks for the detailed update.  It appears you've got an excellent handle on controlling your cluster headaches. 

My only comment is a 25(OH)D serum concentration of 149 ng/mL is very acceptable as long as it's relatively stable.  No real need to change it.

Ask to have your total calcium and PTH serum concentrations measured when you have your next set of labs done. 

The results of these lab tests will provide you and your neurologist a good baseline relative to your 25(OH)D serum concentration and daily vitamin D3 intake.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

9thNerve
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1226 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:52pm

A better day today  :)  "1 2 3 may be working..."

I wanted to share a couple Omega3 's that I found to be quite palatable.

Barleans Omega Swirl liquid suspension in  several nummy flavors : 2 tsp =729 mg EPA/DHA
(Available at COSTCO 65 servings for $21)

ADVOCARE OmegaPlex  2caps = 1gram DHA/EPA!
(available through an Advocare distributor for 21.95/45 servings. I can help you order this if anyone is interested).
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:54pm by 9thNerve »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (109 KB | 1 )

IP Logged

Judge_Smails
CH.com Junior

|maplewood|USA|New_Jersey
Reply #1227 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:17pm

Thanks Batch!  One thing to note - I was shocked that on the bloodwork report from the lab they list "normal" levels of D3 as 30-150ng/mL.  So maybe doctors are finally starting to update their definitions of toxicity when it comes to D3!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1228 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 1:04am

As Sammy Davis Jr. used to say on Laugh-In...  "Here come da Judge..."

With the good stuff and good reason too... You're very correct.  There's a growing level of awareness among medical professionals who really understand vitamin D3 metabolism, that the "normal" reference range for 25(OH)D was derived as a gaussian distribution or "bell shaped" curve of lab test results collected from a population of people who are largely vitamin D3 deficient... 

That means the "normal" reference range used for many years as a standard, is actually shifted to the left at a concentration range much lower than the actual biologically and physiologically "normal" mean...

I have lab data on nearly a dozen CH'ers who tested between 200 and 259 ng/mL.  Their total calcium serum concentrations were all "normal" with no other indications or symptoms of vitamin D3 intoxication... 

Take care and thanks for the lab data...

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2013 at 3:26am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #1229 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 10:05am

Hi,

I am on this regimen for about 18 month.

For you that don’t know me -
I suffer from one of the extreme sorts of CH, and was diagnosed as intractable CCH
(Chronic Cluster Headache). 

Without medication I averaged (AM = Arithmetical maiden) up to 8 episodes a day at an average high (AM) pain level of kip 8.
A CH episode lasts 45 to 50 min; without abortive treatment, an episode is accompanied with
all the classic CH symptoms.

I have undergone treatment with almost all the schoolbook standards of care preventative / abortive medications for CH, and was a guinea pig to some new and innovative treatments.

None of the treatments provided sustainable positive results, or gave me a full (even limited) success in preventing my CH…

The only treatment I have NOT tried is the CB alternative.
I do think it could provide me with some relief; it is not compatible to my job requirements.

All treatments (I have undergone) had one or more undesirable side effects that made the risk-reward ratio unfavorable so the choice to continue or discontinue the treatment was made very easy.

The anti-inflammatory treatment (AIT) for me is not a magic bullet - BUT

Being under very tight control and monitoring by doctors in the endocrinology department at KSSG (Kantonspital St. Gallen Switzerland).
The AIT has allowed me to achieve a steady 85% reduction in the frequency of my CH episodes.  It has also resulted in a significant (over 50%) reduction in the pain level of the remaining episodes… hardly ever going over Kip 5 anymore.

I achieve all of the above without any immediate apparent undesirable side effects. On the contrary, my bone density (monitored as well) is improving and my current overall sense of well-being is very good.

Next to working full time, and much more, I am Paragliding with my older son (age 15),
and it is so much fun….. nature from above in a slow motion….. the Swiss (Canton Appenzel) landscape is just simply joule,  A bijou!!

I do have to compromise and take a lower dose (D3), due to some possible undiseiereble side effects in interaction with the bone density Medication (Bon Viva ;Ibandronic acid (INN) or ibandronate sodium; USAN).

To all who haven't tried the AIT treatment and would like to give it a chance, it can take time to achieve significant results.  For me it took over 4 months and a lot of discipline before I responded. 

However, the flexibility of dosing the “ingredients” to achieve the current results, and knowing there is room for better results makes the continuous disciplined work of adjusting my AIT to the situation and the lab tests every three months well worth the effort.

The AIT is (in conjunction with high flow that is 25 – 40 Lt. / Min of O2 abortive) a Substantial weapon with significant results (over 80%),
That is more than (statistically) with the standards of care meds and treatments,
without any (seemingly) adverse side effects, or any unwelcome legal issues.

The cost of this regimen is negligible in comparison to any of the current standard of care meds. It is affordable to (almost) any person, My cost is just under 50 cents (US $) a day (and I buy the supplements over the internet and it is flown from the USA to Switzerland via DHL).

The AIT gives me a confident level of control in preventing my CH and the few that do leak through are easily controlled with oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation. 

Bottom line: I enjoy a quality of life that lets me function effectively at work,
at home with my family, while doing things I enjoy.

Michael

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #1230 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 10:32am

wildhaus wrote on Feb 3rd, 2013 at 10:05am:
Hi,

Bottom line: I enjoy a quality of life that lets me function effectively at work,
at home with my family, while doing things I enjoy.

Michael

Michael~
It's truly wonderful to read about your response to this treatment.  Those of us who have been around  this message board for a long time are familiar with your long road of trying different treatments. Your story offers much hope, and I hope you continue to fine-tune this regimen for optimal results for your situation. You are a great example to others of taking responsibility for your treatments and staying the course.
~Pat

IP Logged

9thNerve
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1231 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 9:08pm

This is when I wish we had "LIKE" buttons to click on ! Smiley

I won't give up...

IP Logged

zillygoat
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1232 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 3:05pm

Hope this is the appropriate place to post progress and questions.

Been chronic for 13 years. My log ( I use a Headache app) states 68 hits 5 or above since Jan 1. / I dont count the shadows (nearly every AM when waking) / I  use several prescribed preventatives & abortive's.  O2 has become virtually worthless even at 25 LPM with a custom rig and hyperventilation, taking up to 30 minutes and blasting through bottles and has become cost prohibitive, possibly due to the preventives, I dont know. I hope that I can get off all this crap or at least get to where O2 works again.

My most current Neurologist is sending me to a neurosurgeon for consultation for the ONSI.

I went to my GP and had my levels 25(OH)D level is 16 and after reading the average persons levels I gained hope.

I started the regimen 3 days ago using the best I could find at Sams Club, (my pharmacy) No Costco or similar.

X2 Fish Oil w/ D3 = F.0.-24K mg / D3-4K IU

X3 CCP w/ D3 & K = Calcium-12K / K-120mcg / D3 1.5K IU

X1 Mega Vit = Boron-2mg / 25mg-Zinc / 1.6K IU D3 / 100mg Magnesium Oxide / 2mg Magnesium Sulphate

X1 Magnesium Oxide = 500mg  (Gluconate on order)

X? Vitaman D3   2000 IU

-------------------------------------------------

Currently Ive started at about 1/3 dose and plan on staying at that level for a week, but am a little confused about these loading doses.

I plan on following the 2 week plan to tritate up to 10,000 IU daily.

I have already noticed changes in my headache pattern, not necessarily positive but different.

I take these in the AM with Chocolate Protein shake and OJ & breakfast as it is the most consistent meal that is often the largest and am going to continue to take Verapamil (night) as it controls my BP so well.

That 190,000 IU D3 number sounds a bit scary, but Im for trying this thing, all in.

Thanks Charlie, your advice 10 years ago with O2 gave me many years of help. I hope this is the answer for the rest of my years....

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2013 at 3:19pm by zillygoat »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #1233 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 4:42pm

Why would you feel the need to titrate up with vitamin D3?

(My personal advice to you is just start taking it - and with a serum level of 16 - ng/mL, I assume - you'd be in for months of hurt if you don't get your levels up)

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1234 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:17pm

Hey Zillygoat,

Thanks for the headzup you're starting the anti-inflammatory regimen... 

A 25(OH)D serum concentration of 16 ng/mL is clearly deficient... I'm surprised you're not having other health problems...

I think you're a bit conservative with your vitamin D3 dosing schedule...  but that's ok...  Your plan will work... it will just take longer than necessary... like a month to 45 days given your starting 25(OH)D serum concentration.

Taking vitamin D3 at doses of 10,000 to 15,000 IU/day and higher is very safe

I say this because vitamin D3 is the only free vitamin... actually a pre-hormone.  Your skin can make 15,000 IU vitamin D3 in as little as 15 minutes if exposed to the UVB in summer sunlight... between 10am and 2pm... and you're clad in a bathing suit without any sunblock. 

Let me guess... you don't do that do you?  Neither do I...

You need to get your 25(OH)D up to a target serum concentration of 85 ng/mL as shown in the chart below.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The only question now is how long do you want to wait while building your serum concentration of this vitamin D3 metabolite up to 85 ng/mL?

The two fastest and safest ways to do this reported by CH'ers, are a vitamin D3 dosing schedule of 20,000 IU/day plus an additional 50,000 IU loading dose once a week for a month then get your 25(OH)D tested.  The other dosing schedule is 50,000 IU/day for two weeks then 20,000 IU/day for another two weeks then get tested.

Once you reach your target concentration of 25(OH)D you can drop back to a maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day as shown in the chart above.

Both of these dosing schedules should elevate your 25(OH)D into the green zone with a favorable CH response as fast as possible.

Talk to you GP about this.

In regards to ONSI...  Given the present level of efficacy of this invasive surgical procedure...  50% at best... I would consider it as the very last thing to try and option of last resort...  only after all other methods of controlling your CH have failed... 

You're not there yet...

ONSI is expensive even with insurance... it takes months to recover from the implantation process and longer after that to develop a set of stimulation patters.

The biggest weakness of ONSI is it will not work when sleeping because you need to be awake to sense an approaching cluster headache then select one of the preset stimulation patterns.

If you're sleeping when the cluster headache hits... by the time you wake up and reach for the ONSI remote controller... (looks like a small TV remote) the cluster headache pain will likely have climbed beyond what the ONSI is capable of aborting...

Michael is a disciplined engineer...  He indicated he achieved a maximum of 85% effectiveness with his ONSI while awake but still needed imitrex and oxygen therapy...

For a complete first-hand account of his ONSI experience complete with photos from the surgery, read the following link posted by Wildhaus...  Read all 4 pages...

Photo at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

That was in 2008...  Michael had the entire ONSI implant surgically removed last year...  It failed to provide an acceptable level of control over his cluster headaches. 

He now uses the anti-inflammatory regimen and claims an 80% reduction in the frequency of is cluster headaches.

Take care and please keep us posted

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Wayne
CH.com Old Timer

RedBull Rules!!

Christchurch, New Zealand|
Reply #1235 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 6:49pm

Hello All
Some bad news from my side, after over 150 days of care free PFness things changed. I moved from Christchurch to Auckland at the beginning of the year and whatever it is that makes the cities different lit a fire under my beasts backside, dumped right into the middle of a full blown cycle and one unlike I've ever experienced. My hits were always fairly predictable, late evening or an hour after sleep, lasted pretty much half an Hour. Now its all over the place, any time of the day, last anything from 10 minutes to 2 hours, Kip 2 to Kip 8, 2 or 3 a day, horrible. I'm keeping up with the D3 and really hope they come under control soon.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2013 at 6:50pm by Wayne »  

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

IP Logged

zillygoat
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1236 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:19pm

Excellent.  Im not sure what other health problems but I do have a few... I just wanted to check in and address a few questions.  I will bump it up and start the loading doses next week after I get to the 10,000 IU. I think I just needed a little reassurance to start bumping it up. I have some time this eve to read this thread.

I have NO intention of going through with the ONSI if I can get results with this and the fact that a good portion of my worst hits are at night make it pretty worthless with the other things you mentioned. I still have the consult but I trust your advice & the Neurosurgeon may well tell me the same things you did.

Thanks SO much for the great info and I will report back.  I plan on getting my levels checked again in 6 weeks and my GP is very onboard with this after my test results & the info you provided, although my Neurologist doesnt seem to interested.

But I a
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2013 at 12:11am by zillygoat »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1237 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 2:25am

Zillygoat,

You're on the right track and you've got a great understanding of what ONSI can do and what it can't.

Your GP sounds like a winner... Stick with him and keep him in the loop with your vitamin D3 regimen... 

Sorry I can't say the same for your neurologist...  His reaction to the anti-inflammatory regimen is unfortunately, all too common and not unexpected. 

That said, it's not his fault for a couple reasons... There's nothing in print about the capacity of vitamin D3 to prevent cluster headaches...  The closest thing is an RCT looking at vitamin D3 as a migraine preventative... 

The second thing is big pharma is a major influence on how neurologists treats their patients...  They fund all the major studies on abortives and preventatives...  Accordingly, no neurologist is going to whiz in big pharma's flintlock over a 20 cent a day regimen that's more effective, safer and has less side effects in treating our disorder than the $100 a pop injection big pharma offers...

Big pharma has the technology and funding to bring new medications to market as fast as possible...  We need that capability and capacity...  Big Government... is often the real problem that jacks the cost of bringing new pharmaceuticals to market... all in the name of protecting the public... but that's another story...

Wayne,  Thanks for the update...  If anything, the move from Christchurch to Aukland should have worked in your favor due to the slightly higher latitude...

What I suspect is happening is something is affecting the way your body is metabolizing vitamin D3... That's assuming you've not changed your dose of vitamin D3 or changed brands of vitamin D3.

New bugs and virus can cause your immune system to consume the active metabolite of vitamin D3, 1,25(OH)2D3, (calcitriol), at higher rates...  That means there might be insufficient calcitriol to prevent your cluster headaches.

The other possibility is there's been a change in you diet that's resulting in a much lower systemic/arterial pH...  too much acid.

The first step is to see the next available PCP and have your 26(OH)D serum concentration tested...  If this test comes back at a concentration less than 60 ng/mL (150 nmol/L), you need to increase your daily intake of vitamin D3.

If you're not taking vitamin A at RDA... Start doing that as well.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

cyclist7531
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1238 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 5:30pm

Batch, thanks for everything you have done. I've been a sufferer for more years than I care to admit. Anyways, I have an appt. with my PCP tomorrow and prior to the appt. I sent him the information you compiled regarding the anti-inflammatory regimen. He had no trouble having my 25(OH)D levels checked to see where they fell. Anyway, I'll post back once I get the results of the test and what my PCP says.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1239 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 5:53pm

Hey Cyclist,

Thanks for the kind words.  I like your plan of action and your PCP's willingness to test your 25(OH)D serum concentration.

As I've said many times...  after a proper diagnosis of cluster headache from a neurologist to rule out other potentially more serious conditions, most CH'ers are better served seeing their PCP, a homeopath or an endocrinologist to have the vitamin D3 deficiency treated, that nearly all CH'ers suffer. 

Obviously, this course of action isn't needed if the attending neurologist buys into the high probability that a low 25(OH)D serum concentration contributes to our disorder...

Looking forward to your lab results... and how your PCP wants to proceed should they come back lower than 60 ng/mL.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

kev
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1240 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 6:53pm

Well I had my D3 rechecked again after following the regimen and it came back high 159 ng/ml.  Unfortunately my clusters haven't responded to the regimen.  Any other suggestions?  I think I will try psilocybin dosing again and see if that helps.

IP Logged

enli
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1241 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:39pm

2 1/2 weeks in and CH's are now about normal 1 or 2 per day/night except 1 night pain was worse I've had since CH's restarted last October, O2 did not work, Relpaz did not work, I waited (very impatiently) 2 hours and took imitrex injection.  That curbed the beast, but head sure was sore the next day.  Am going to up D3 to 20,000 starting this Saturday and see if that will make any difference. Shadow aches are just about none existent, so that's nice.

Was getting a little down, great start and now back to normal CH pattern, but after reading above messages I can see where this could take a while to get good results.  Thanks for the posts and realize what a positive direction they are pointing for the new kids on the block (64 year old KID)

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1242 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 10:22pm

Hey Kev,

Thanks for the update.  Yes your 25(OH)D is a little high... and even though you're still getting hit, don't worry just yet. We've seen this condition reported before and your 25(OH)D serum concentration is nowhere near the record for this regimen.

The good news is your liver is working just  fine metabolizing vitamin D3 into 25(OH)D. 

Although your 25(OH)D is a little high, it's still well below the lowest threshold listed for vitamin D3 intoxication with elevated total calcium serum concentrations so no big thing...  You can bring it down easily by cutting your present vitamin D3 dose in half for a month then retest.

What you need to do now is "tune" the regimen.  Start by cutting out the calcium supplements for a few weeks.  If you're taking the calcium citrate tablets with most of the vitamin D3 cofactors, stop taking them and instead, start taking some Centrum Silver or the Safeway brand, Century Senior 50+ Formula.  These two formulations contain all the vitamin D3 cofactors plus vitamin K and vitamin A.

The vitamin A is essential for the metabolism of 25(OH)D into 1,25(OH)2D3, calcitriol, the active hormonal vitamin D3 metabolite, at the cellular level throughout the body. 

This is called the peripheral or autocrine path of vitamin D3 metabolism we think is responsible for the CH preventative effect of vitamin D3.

Stopping the intake of supplemental calcium will help increase the rate of metabolilsm of 25(OH)D into 1,25(OH)2D3, calcitriol in the kidneys.

As  far as busting goes... If you feel it's necessary, go ahead.  We've seen no problems mixing busting with the anti-inflammatory regimen.

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2013 at 1:16am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1243 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 1:09am

Enli,

Thanks for the update and hang in there.  I thought you were in like Flint after the first week...  so at this point I think it's just a matter of time to build your 25(OH)D serum concentration up to a therapeutic level.

Bumping the vitamin D3 up to 20,000 IU/day will help, I'd also add the 50,000 IU loading dose once a week.

Skip the calcium citrate tablets for a couple weeks and make up for the vitamin D3 cofactors with a tablet a day of Centrum Silver or the Safeway's Century Senior 50+ Formula.  Either of these two multi-vitamin and mineral supplements have all the vitamin D3 cofactors plus vitamin K and vitamin A. 

You also need to make an appointment with your PCP in a couple weeks for the 25(OH)D lab test.  Hopefully by then you'll have a much better response.

At 68, I'm still a kid too... at least that's what my wife says the way I act at times.  I figure I'll grow up someday.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Clusterman59
CH.com Veteran

Pain free is AWESOME!!

San Diego, California
Reply #1244 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 10:24am

110 days CH free!!! Thanks again Pete!! Smiley Wink

Gaining knowledge and obtaining an education about cluster headaches is the key to success to shutting down the beast. The Vitamin D3 Anti inflammatory Regimen is one of the best treatments ever!
IP Logged

Blakeandcat
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1245 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 2:49pm

100 days painfree on D3 (and still going strong).  I’m an episodic sufferer for 10 years with 3-4 month bouts every two years.  (Side note: I was diagnosed with low D3 about 5 years ago and never thought much about it.) Last cycle lasted a full year until I started D3. I used the picture Batch posted and went to Costco to grab the bottles.  Just got a blood test and D3 was “unmeasurable.” Results were  >96 ng/mL.  Was taking  10k IU/day.  My PCP told me to stop D3 for 3 months and get a new test.  I would prefer to take some D3.  Any advice?  Thanks. 

Since this is my first post, let me just say to everyone out there searching for help, I know how you feel.  I was at my lowest point and didn’t know what to do.  I had five different neurologists with five different contradicting plans.  I also tried acupuncture and chiropractic.  I lost hope until I started reading Batch and the others.  The skeptic in me still wonders if the high positive response could be due in part to starting D3 at the end of the cluster cycle.  But the plan has done more than stop the headaches.  It gives me a youthful energy I haven’t known for years.  To anyone suffering like I did, please try the D3 plan.  You’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain.  I want to offer my sincere thanks to everyone on this forum.  I felt like you all never gave up on me, so I never gave up on myself.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #1246 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 3:03pm

Clusterman59 wrote on Feb 7th, 2013 at 10:24am:
110 days CH free!!! Thanks again Pete!! Smiley Wink

Over a year CH free for me and only 10 CHs in total since starting on the vitamin D3 about 2 years ago.

Is it any wonder we tell people who come to the forums about Pete's wonderful approach using D3?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #1247 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 4:11pm

Clusterman, Blakeandcat, Mike,

Thanks for the wonderful posts and kind words.  They do more to alert our fellow CH'ers, wondering what to do next, to the benefits of the anti-inflammatory regimen than anything I could say.

Blackeandcat, vitamin D3 testing, 25(OH)D lab results, and effective therapies to treat vitamin D3 deficiencies remain a mystery to too many physicians.  If your 25(OH)D serum concentration is stable at 96 ng/mL at a dose of 10,000 IU/day, I wouldn't change a thing. 

Instead, I'd suggest you print out the following link and take it to your PCP.

It's not surprising that too many neurologists pain specialists and PCPs look at CH'ers asking for the 25(OH)D lab test like they were speaking in tongues... or pitch a hissy when they see a 25(OH)D serum concentration near 100 ng/mL.

The reasons for this reaction is simple.  Most physicians are not up to speed on the health benefits of vitamin D3, dosing or the optimum serum concentration of 25(OH)D needed to maintain good health. 

The causal relationship between a vitamin D3 deficiency and cluster headache has not been identified in medical literature to date and has only surfaced within cluster headache specific forums over the last two years.  We need to change that.

I've had an article ready to be sent to a number of medical journals on the safety and efficacy of the anti-inflammatory regimen as a cluster headache preventative, but I need a little more information from the online survey of CH'ers who have taken this regimen for at least a month.

I structured this survey with the essential questions that cover not only the safety and efficacy aspects of this regimen, but also the essential demographics and epidemiology associated with cluster headache.

To date we've had 96 responses to this survey.  Unfortunately, only 72 were fully completed.  I need a minimum of 100 completed surveys from CH'ers who have used this regimen.  That would provide the kind of numbers with statistical significance to attract the attention of neurologists, pain specialists and PCPs.   It would also hopefully attract corporate and medical organizations willing to fund an interventional study of vitamin D3 as a cluster headache preventative.

Studies like this take time and a lot of money...  It took over six years from the time Michael Berger and I started planning a study of oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation as an abortive for cluster headache until Dr. Rozen published the results of his pilot study of the demand valve method of oxygen therapy.

Accordingly, the updates you post on the results of this regimen play a significant role in attracting new CH'ers to this regimen.  We now need to urge CH'ers who have been on this regimen for at least a month to take the survey.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

cyclist7531
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #1248 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 8:01am

I got my 25(OH)D results back this morning and it is at 29 ng/ml. My calcium serum level is at 9.8 mg/dl.  So, I'm definitely on the low end of the range.  I'd like to start the vitamin anti-inflammatory regimen asap so I'll be visiting Costco today.  The question I have is what would you suggest  my intake of the D3, Calcium and fish oil be?  I saw the 20k/day 50k/1x week as being suggested to get it up relatively quickly, so wondering if I should go that route and keep the calcium and fish oil at 500 and 2400 mg respectively?  Initially, prior to the test results, my PCP suggested I take 2000IU/day, but in light of the 29 I think that may not ramp up the D3 level quickly enough or maybe not increase it to where it needs to be to be in the green zone.
Thanks, Mark
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2013 at 8:17am by cyclist7531 »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #1249 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 8:13am

That's what I would do - except it seems you have the calcium and fish oil numbers reversed. Should be 2,000mg fish oil, 500 calcium.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!