Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 448763 times)
slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #2175 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:17pm

TheAndyT wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:15pm:
Slacker,

That lab that you told me about where you get your tests done...which one is it again?

-Andy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Use this code to get 10% off: USAVE10

With the code, it comes out to $53.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:18pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Love is our resistance...

North Hollywood, California
Reply #2176 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:20pm

Slacker,

Thanks again, buddy!!

-Andy

Life's roughest storms prove the strength of our anchors

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2177 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:22pm

No prob...good luck!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2178 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:40pm

Hey Slacker,

You're spot on regarding the Kirkland Magnesium Citrate serving size.  2 capsules for 250 mg and 6 for 750 mg. 

I suggest taking between 500 and 750 when loading vitamin D3.  You get 50 mg magnesium from the mature multi, so 4 of the Kirkland magnesium citrate capsules adds up to a total of 550 mg of supplemental magnesium and that should be more than sufficient. 

I also eat a few handfuls of mixed nuts or almonds a day so that brings my total magnesium intake from dietary and supplemental magnesium to at least 750 mg/day.

I've a few friends who take upwards of 1000 mg/day magnesium from all sources... but they split the supplemental doses between AM and PM to avoid osmotic diarrhea.

Hand, leg or foot cramps without any recent strenuous physical activity while loading vitamin D3 are an indication of insufficient magnesium.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2179 - Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:44pm

Batch,

Thank you. 

How about Zinc?  Is the 11 mg in the Kirkland Mature Multi sufficient or do we need another source as well?  Currently, I'm taking the Multi plus another 15 mg of Nature Made Zinc Oxide.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:44pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2180 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 1:46am

Slacker,

Sorry about that...  The Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University sets the gold standards for vitamins and minerals. 

They list the RDA for zinc at 11 mg/day...  You can bump that to 50 mg/day for a week or so if you feel like you're coming down with a cold... or you already have one.

Zinc plays several roles in the anti-inflammatory regimen...  There are over 300 different enzymes depend on zinc for their ability to catalyze vital chemical reactions.

Zinc finger proteins have been found to regulate gene expression by acting as transcription factors (binding to DNA and influencing the transcription of specific genes like genes with vitamin D3 receptors).

You can find much more about zinc at the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Reply #2181 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 3:10pm

Slacker,

Which location do you personally use for the blood work and do they require an appointment?

-Andy

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2182 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 2:48pm

Gotcha...thanks again Batch.

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2183 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 2:50pm

TheAndyT wrote on Feb 10th, 2015 at 3:10pm:
Slacker,

Which location do you personally use for the blood work and do they require an appointment?

-Andy

Yes, they require an appt.  Just go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and schedule it.  I go to the one in Van Nuys.

Make sure you bring a printout of the requisition from Direct Labs.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2015 at 2:51pm by slacker032 »  

IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Reply #2184 - Feb 11th, 2015 at 3:41pm

Slacker,

Will do. I appreciate your help and time.

-Andy

IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Reply #2185 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 9:41pm

Batch,

So yesterday I came up with a throat and ear infection. Today I went to see the doctor and I was prescribed two pills of Amoxicillin a day for 10 days. I have upped my dose of D3 from 10,000IU to 15,000IU while I get over the infection. My concern is that I have an appointment to check my D3 levels on Friday and I was wondering if the antibiotics or the infection might affect the outcome of the test. Should I wait until after the infection is gone and I am no longer on the antibiotics? Or is all this irrelevant to the outcome? I can always make another appointment. Either way it's not a problem. What do you think?

-Andy

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2186 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 2:34am

I'd be tempted to wait until your infection is over and you're back on an even keel, i.e. fully recovered.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2187 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 10:07am

Hey Andy,

It's dealer's choice.  You can wait until after the dust settles for the 25(OH)D lab test or get it now.  If you're completely pain free, knowing your 25(OH)D now will be a good data point.  If you're still having an occasional hit... having the lab test now will give you another data point that's also good to know.

If your 25(OH)D serum concentration is already around 75 ng/mL, a few days taking vitamin D3 at 15,000 IU/day instead of your regular maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day shouldn't shift it up by more than a couple points.

Amoxicillin is a moderate-spectrum antibotic so your doc was pretty sure the throat and ear infection was bacterial in origin and not viral.  The downside of most antibiotics is they usually wipe out the friendly colonies of bacteria, archaebacteria and fungi living in the GI tract. 

These single-celled microorganisms lining the GI tract are referred to as the microbiome.  Much of the latest research has found the microbiome makes up a significant part of our immune system.  When it's insulted by antibiotics, we tend to feel a little off or not fully up to speed.

As soon as you've completed the 10-day course of Amoxicillin, taking probiotics will help recolonize the gut and get it working properly as fast as possible.  Fresh kimchi, active yogurt cultures and fresh fruit smoothies also help rebuild the microbiome.

If you start having CH burn-through hits, don't be afraid to take a 50,000 IU loading dose of vitamin D3 and up the daily vitamin D3 intake to 20,000 IU/day until the infection symptoms are completely gone.  Just make sure you're taking at least 400 mg/day magnesium and all the other cofactors.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Reply #2188 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 12:17pm

Batch,

That was a very interesting read. I will grab myself a bottle of probiotics to take after the 10 days are up. Also, I think I will put the blood work on hold until after my illness is gone. Thank you so much for the help. Will keep you updated.

-Andy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2189 - Feb 17th, 2015 at 10:28pm

Andy,

Good move on both counts...

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #2190 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 2:53am

Hey Andy,
                   recently went thru a course of strong antibiotic's as well, I too then got some probiotics afterwards.   
but make sure you go for the live culture ones, out of the fridge at your pharmacy, you pay a bit more but they are the better ones..........

regards
colin

IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Reply #2191 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 3:10am

Colin,
I had never heard of those. I will make sure to go for the live culture ones  Smiley

Thanks for the recommendation!

-Andy

IP Logged

sue_g
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Gananoque|Canada||0|0|ON,Ontario
Reply #2192 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 6:20am

Hey Batch and all Smiley
I just want to say thank you for your time and support you give to all of us, your deeply appreciated... which that is even an under statement.
Thats it folks!
Bless you and your family Batch  Smiley   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley[smiley=engel017.gif] Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Tomorrow will be better!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2193 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 12:29pm

Hey Sue,

Thanks for the kind words...   Doing what I've been doing for other CH'ers over the last four years continues to be a hoot and very rewarding.   That said, as a chronic CH'er, I've got skin in the game too. 

The feedback from other CH'ers helps all of us learn more about this regimen and how to make it as effective as possible in preventing CH... Moreover, the health benefits from taking this regimen are hard to ignore...

Take care and hugs.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2194 - Feb 18th, 2015 at 9:23pm

Batch wrote on Feb 18th, 2015 at 12:29pm:
Moreover, the health benefits from taking this regimen are hard to ignore...

I totally agree with this, ignoring the minor matter of being CH pain free for over 3 years, I've had a small fraction of the normal coughs, colds, bugs and stuff that I'd normally pick up. Plus I've had more than a few comments from doctors and the like when looking at blood test results as the results surprise them for being much better than they'd expect they should be. And who am I to complain about them being surprised like that?

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #2195 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 12:48am

Hi Andy,
                 im not sure if they actually call them live culture or not,  but when I went into the chemist looking at the shelves for a probiotic, couldn't decide which one was better, I asked the pharmacist and she took me to a fridge where all the good ones are kept. it was interesting because there were different types for different issues, but the one I got was after telling here I was on strong antibiotics, the more live goodies in the bottle varies as well.
One interesting comment was she said, and I did read else where, don't wait till after you've finished the course of antibiotics, take them at the same time !  To late for me as I went in after i'd finished the antibiotics, batch might have some knowledge on this, but I did go home and google and read about best to take with the antibiotics. I suppose if it has no effect on the medication, then its probably prudent to take them at the same time......

cheers
colin

IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Reply #2196 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 1:55pm

Hmmm this is all very interesting. I am wondering if a good bottle of probiotics for 30 days will be enough to rebuild the microbiome and if a one shot deal is good enough or keep taking it every month??

-Andy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2197 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 3:45pm

Colin,

This is a very interesting topic...  There used to be two schools of thought on when to start probiotics if you're being treated with an anitbiotic.

The first argues why waste the probiotic while still taking an antibiotic. If the antibiotic and probiotic are in the GI tract at the same time, there's a high probability the anitbiotic will wipe out the probiotic as fast as it's taken.  There is also a reasonable logic that the probiotics will consume a portion of the antibiotic lessening its effectiveness in stopping the bacterial infection elsewhere in the body.

The other school of thought is keep replacing and recolonizing the friendly bacteria in the GI tract with probiotics taken daily while taking the antibiotic...  Some of these friendly bacteria might just survive.  Moreover, the probiotic will help calm down the gut and help prevent diarrhea.

Well... the following is the best answer I can find...  I was wrong and stand corrected suggesting to wait until the 10-day course of antibiotic was completed...

I just spent the better part of two hours going over several articles and published results from clinical trials on this very topic... The consensus is take probiotics daily along with the antibiotic.  Separating the two by 12 hours is likely a good idea as is taking the right kind of probiotic as you'll see in the following.

"Most of these trials used different strains of Lactobacilli, Bifidobacteria, or Saccharomyces boulardii. Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are two of the most common genera used as probiotics, so these supplements are readily available in most health food stores or vitamin shops. S. boulardii is actually a beneficial yeast rather than a bacteria, so it’s particularly useful during antibiotic treatment because the antibiotics can’t kill it."

"S. boulardii is also preferable under these circumstances because there’s no risk of it harboring genes for antibiotic resistance and later transferring those genes to pathogenic bacteria."

A couple of the easy to read articles on probiotics are at the following links:

Nearly all the articles suggested fresh fermented veggies like kimchi and unsweetened live yogurt...  Add your own fresh fruit.

So along come the prebiotics... essentially food for the friendly bacteria...

"However, you can’t expect manufactured probiotic and prebiotic supplements to achieve the diversity of an ancestral microbiome on their own."

As always...  remember to discuss prebiotics and probiotics with the physician who prescribes the antibiotic...

Take care.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2015 at 11:43pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

TheAndyT
CH.com Junior

Reply #2198 - Feb 19th, 2015 at 4:21pm

Batch, Colin,

Thank you for the very interesting and importantly useful information.  I feel that I can now make an educated choice on my probiotic needs. Thank you both for your research and sharing with us!

-Andy

IP Logged

avalon
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2199 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 7:45am

Hi, I have chronic insomina and recently headaches.

I have been trying Vitamin d3 (twinlab vit d3 & K sublingual) @ 1000iu a day and vitamin k and small does of topical magnesium spray. I'm trying to follow Dr Gominak's protocol, initially taking 400 iu and building up, in the earlier days may sleep had improved, may body pain also.
However, I started to get headaches and my legs were more painful than normal on waking. So I upped my magnesium a little which seemed to help.

Also I noticed when I upped the vitamin d3 dose to 2000iu, I felt quite depressed. I have dropped the dose back to 1000iu taken early morning but feel sleepy all day and funny head sensation. I do take Thorne multivitamin a couple times a week, this contains methyl B12. I note that the vitamin d3 seems to amplify sleepiness, spaciness, foggy during the day. I feel sometimes I'm in a stupor & euphoria after taking my morning vitamin d3 dose.

Q) Does Dr Gominak specify morning or evening to take D3? I know its trial and error, its a little confusing as some say to take early morning as this enhances nighttime sleep others say take in the evening time.
Any guidance would warmly appreciated. Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2015 at 8:41am by avalon »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!