Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 107
Send Topic Print
123 Days PF And I Think I know Why (Read 445408 times)
godsjoy777
CH.com Veteran

HIS name is above clusters

x0|Grand Prairie, TX|USA||0|0|
Re: 123 Days PF And I Think I know Why
Reply #325 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 8:25am

so sad...4 hits last night....getting frustrated but I know it will end in time anyway....staying on the regimin....Its all about being as healthy as I can be no matter what!
Blessings,
Karen

godsjoy777  
IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #326 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 3:09pm

I'm sorry to hear that, Karen.

I read somewhere that magnesium is critical for D3 to work.  But many tablets contains magnesium oxide. Magnesium oxide is said to be particularly difficult to absorb.  Only 4-5% is absorbed, I read somewhere.

We have almost the same story with Calcium.  Some forms are hard to absorb.  The Calcium Citrate is said to be easy to absorb.

-zg

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #327 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 7:04pm

Zeitgeist wrote on Aug 22nd, 2011 at 3:09pm:
I'm sorry to hear that, Karen.

I read somewhere that magnesium is critical for D3 to work.  But many tablets contains magnesium oxide. Magnesium oxide is said to be particularly difficult to absorb.  Only 4-5% is absorbed, I read somewhere.

We have almost the same story with Calcium.  Some forms are hard to absorb.  The Calcium Citrate is said to be easy to absorb.

Your right ZG on both counts; if possible try to get hold of the citrated products for any of the vitamins taken, I found this out many years ago when I first went on the Mag/Cal/D3 trail.
And remember if you are taking Mag you also need to take Cal or you will end up with muscle & joint soreness.

Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2011 at 7:07pm by Barry_T_Coles »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #328 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 8:57pm

Hey Karen,

What a bummer...  I know you're working hard to make this regimen work.  Barry and Zeitgheist are correct, some salts of calcium and magnesium have less bioavailability.  If you're taking two of the Krikland brand of calcium citrate a day, both the calcium and magnesium should be readily absorbed.  You'll get the proper amount of zinc as well.

You've got a couple options.  Increase the number of calcium citrate tablets from two to four and see what happens.

The other option is to find some magnesium gluconate or magnesium citrate tablets.  Most of us get plenty of magnesium if we eat green veggies, leafy salads, peas and beans...  Having said that, a little more magnesium shouldn't cause any problems...

Bumping the total intake of supplemental magnesium up to 300 mg/day meets the RDA for magnesium yet is still below Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for supplemental magnesium.  This should help the vitamin D3 to be even more effective.

Taking the calcium citrate and magnesium tablets a half hour prior to the evening meal with a glass of lemonade should help increase the bioavailability.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #329 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 10:38pm

I don't like lemonade.

Will orange juice, tangerine juice, and/or grapefruit juice work?

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #330 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 10:57pm

It is my understanding that limeade is an acceptable substitute.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #331 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 12:27am

Margarita mix works best.  Jose Cuervo original lime margarita mix is great... but at 500 calories per 8 oz. you'll need to run a couple half marathons a week to keep from turning into a blimp...

I found that Baja Bob's sugar free margarita mix packets at less than $5/half gallon work best with no calories for sugar...  of course I do prefer to add the fermented and distilled agave to the mix...  Shocked Cheesy Roll Eyes.

That way when you do get hit, you've got a heck of a good excuse...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #332 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 12:37am

LasVegas wrote on Aug 23rd, 2011 at 10:38pm:
I don't like lemonade.

Will orange juice, tangerine juice, and/or grapefruit juice work?

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

aprildawn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

UP of Michigan
Reply #333 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 3:34pm

Hi all, just got done with a stubborn cycle. Usually comes once a year. I have thought about trying the D3 regimen & was wondering if this is continued after a cycle is done. I am on preventatives all of the time & would like to get off them if possible. Thanks for any information. Have a PF day.

IP Logged

Dixie Angel
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Midlands, South Carolina
Reply #334 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 4:10pm

I have had one cluster since starting this regimen. I take no other medicines for CH and have to say that I am thrilled to be able to say that.  Smiley

I, too, am wondering if orange juice, tangerine juice, and/or grapefruit juice will work instead of the lime/lemon ades. I do know that if you are taking blood pressure pills, though, that it is not a good idea to drink grapefruit juice with some.  Wink Something about it makes the bp pills build up in your system. Wink

IP Logged

Melvin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #335 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 5:05pm

I was recently given a diagnosis of cluster headaches after being mis-diagnosed with sinus infections three times in the last year, and having a headache for roughly two weeks.  The pain was unbearable, went to the ER and they prescribed hydrocodone which only made things worse.  Went to the neurologist and was given what my wife called a sobriety test and a prescription to something that just made me sick.  I ran across this thread, and realized that I already take a multi and fish oil daily.  I also realized that since I sit at a desk most of the day my body gets no vitamin D so off I went.  I bought a bottle of 5000iu vitamin and some calcium/mag/zinc pills.  Started taking them on Friday night, by Sunday my headaches were little if any and I haven't had one since (today is Wednesday).  Thank you so much!  I told my sister yesterday that I've gotten my first two full nights of sleep in about a month.  Oh I've also been making it a point to drink lemon or lime in my water in addition to lots of lemonade.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #336 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 9:32pm

Dixie Angel wrote on Aug 24th, 2011 at 4:10pm:
I, too, am wondering if orange juice, tangerine juice, and/or grapefruit juice will work instead of the lime/lemon ades. I do know that if you are taking blood pressure pills, though, that it is not a good idea to drink grapefruit juice with some.  Wink Something about it makes the bp pills build up in your system. Wink

Glad I am not alone on the distaste ofr lemon/lime. 

I've been cautioned of not drinking grapefruit juice w/ meds such as Verapamil that impact blood pressure. 

Just thought OJ or tangerine juice are both acidic and would do the job equally as lemonade/lime, etc. 

Anybody experienced (successful or not) w/ OJ or tangerine juice w/ this regimen?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #337 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 4:23am

LV, All,

Regarding dislike of lemon and lime juice...  Any juice containing citric acid will work just fine.  Obviously, the higher the citric acid content the better... The following link may provide alternatives to lemonade and limeade:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've found that Pomegranate juice makes for a good alternative source of citric acid.  It's also frequently labeled as a healthy heart juice to boot...

Melvin, Great news! Thank you for the feedback.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Dixie Angel
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Midlands, South Carolina
Reply #338 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 7:08am

LV, it is not that I dislike lemon-lime drinks, it is that I don't want to have to give up my weekly margarita night because of developing a dislike from having to drink it. I was to the point that I thought I wasn't ever going to be able to drink another cup of coffee after drinking it by the pot until I found this message board. Grin

I have been cluster-free since last Friday. Smiley Batch, thank you so much for this topic. Smiley

IP Logged

godsjoy777
CH.com Veteran

Reply #339 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 8:24am

Wednesday evening got hit when the barametric pressure changed due to some unexpected rain (we are in drought season).  I was at a restaurant to celebrate my daughter's 27th birthday.  No O2 available so I got into my secret, 'though dwindling stash of Treximet and took one.  I had to go out in the parking lot and pace and push my head against a pole until it started to subside.  I don't ever want to be without O2....so now that I am in the last 3rd (hopefully) of my cycle (4 to 8 weeks left), I am taking my O2 to work and everywhere I go now.  No more hits that night (but felt all swollen from the trex)....but the beast made up for it last night with 5 hits.....sigh.  Still drinking lemon water all day and night, and all my supplements.  I will do it just because I know it's good for me...Still hoping for it to kill the clusters.
Tired,
Karen

godsjoy777  
IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #340 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 12:30am

godsjoy777 wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 8:24am:
Wednesday evening got hit when the barametric pressure changed due to some unexpected rain (we are in drought season).  I was at a restaurant to celebrate my daughter's 27th birthday.  No O2 available so I got into my secret, 'though dwindling stash of Treximet and took one.  I had to go out in the parking lot and pace and push my head against a pole until it started to subside.  I don't ever want to be without O2....so now that I am in the last 3rd (hopefully) of my cycle (4 to 8 weeks left), I am taking my O2 to work and everywhere I go now.  No more hits that night (but felt all swollen from the trex)....but the beast made up for it last night with 5 hits.....sigh.  Still drinking lemon water all day and night, and all my supplements.  I will do it just because I know it's good for me...Still hoping for it to kill the clusters.
Tired,
Karen

HI Karen
Hang in there i'm sure it will start working in due time, i went for aboit 6 months before I got a decent break, but when that break come it was great & the breaks have been getting longer each time.

Cheers
Barry

Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

godsjoy777
CH.com Veteran

Reply #341 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 9:38am

Well, The Sansert finally arrived and though I started it on Friday night....I had 3 hits right before starting it....Slept like a baby all night and again last night....Cluster free....Still taking th Vit D & Fish Oil etc...just because it is good for me.  I am hoping I don't have to ramp up the Sansert and just stay at 2 mgs daily until I am pretty sure the season is over...Praying....Sleep felt reeeeeally good!
Blessings to all,
Karen

godsjoy777  
IP Logged

jman1980
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Houston, TX
Reply #342 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 5:41pm

i have been wanting to post here for the past week, but my internet was down but its back up now. i started this regimen last week and it is a godsend. Since i have started this regimen, i have only had one full attack, and several that started but never got intense. i am truly amazed that something this simple and easy to get has worked when nothing i got from my doctor did. i wish this would work for everyone, and i feel it deep in my heart for those it doesn't work for. for those it doesn't work for, i truly hope that you all find something that does sometime soon, and i will keep you all in my heart and prayers.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #343 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 7:02pm

Hey JMan,

Thanks for the feedback...  I'm glad to hear the anti-inflammatory regimen is working well for you...  As you continue to take it you'll find like me and many others, there are additional wonderful benefits that will keep you taking it for the rest of your life...  It's that healthy for us!

As far as we can tell at this point with over 75 CH'ers reporting, it is not a matter of "IF" it will work, but more a matter of "WHEN." 

It appears there are some CH'ers with very low 25 hydroxyvitamin D3 a.k.a. 25(OH)D levels (the serum metabolite of vitamin D3), and that it can take as long as three months to elevate this metabolite up to the middle of the normal range 100-200 nmol/l (40-80 ng/mL) to achieve a therapeutic response to their CH.  If in doubt, see your PCP to have your blood tested for 25(OH)D levels.  Anything less than 100 nmol/L is deficient and this appears to make the frequency and severity of CH much higher.

Most CH'ers are experiencing a favorable response to this regimen in the first two weeks after starting it and nearly all have eventually gone pain free.  That includes the chronic types...

Others have reported it took upwards of a month to achieve a significant level of relief from their CH.

The bottom line is don't get impatient and quit this regimen if you don't have an immediate response after starting it...  Good things are well worth the wait...

Thanks again for the feed-back.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #344 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 10:11pm

Bought delicious tangerine juice, not from concentrate, at Trader Joes this afternoon.  Yummy for this regimen. Cheesy

Here's a question...should these 3 vitamins be taken w/ food or does it not matter?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #345 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 11:41pm

LV,

It doesn't really matter when you take the vitamin D3 and Omega 3 Fish Oil...  What makes the most sense is to take the calcium citrate and juice prior to the evening meal.  You'll get the best buffering action that way on the hydrochloric acid the stomach makes to digest food.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

Reply #346 - Aug 30th, 2011 at 1:00am

OK, will do, thanks Batch Smiley

IP Logged

jhammer
CH.com Veteran

This is pure AGONY!!!

x1|Pittsburgh|USA|usa|447|126|
Reply #347 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 10:19am

Looks like I'm headed to the vitamin store after work!  I'll report any success/failure.  I should stay away from calcium though since I'm prone to getting kidney stones, will that screw up my chances?

jhammer98  
IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #348 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 11:48am

I had my blood tested after 55 days on this regimen. I got the results today, a week later. D(25-OH) is now at 225,2 nmol/L.  Which is good! Unfortunately pre-regimen levels are unknown, but I suspect they were very low.  I consider reducing D3 intake to maintenance level, 5.000 IU.

As for the nightly encounters with my old nemesis Mr. Cluster, the Great Terminator of Appointments: Almost completely gone.  Generally, after 62 days under regimen, and after the 2-3 initial days before full effect:

• 4 moderate hits during sleep/night. But - all those coincides with me having burnt midnight oil.
  • A few low KIP scale hits during day
  • Some shadows of no consequence.
  • No Imitrex injections(!) No treatment except for some Red Bulls.
  • Countless hours of wonderful sleep

I've been in 'cycle' more or less non-stop since July 2010 after 20 years of being straight episodic. The regimen have had a dramatic and practically instant effect. The timing couldn't have been better - just as I was about to conclude that I could not possibly continue working as an IT professional. All of a sudden "The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades)"  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  (I know this is scientifically to early to call, but one day this song might be the anthem for clusterheads of the world  Smiley )

Thank you Batch, and all the other test pilots. I really owe you one for bringing this game-changer to town!

br/Rune

-zg

IP Logged

jhammer
CH.com Veteran

This is pure AGONY!!!

x1|Pittsburgh|USA|usa|447|126|
Reply #349 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 8:54am

This must be a coincidence, there's no way this could have worked the first day...yesterday I took 2x5000iu D3 gelcaps, and 2x1000mg fish oil (omega 3) gelcaps, along with 3x200 mg ibuprofen and 2x400mg turmeric capsules last night.  I also took one of my wife's Clonazepam (she gets panic attacks) I think it was 10mg, to help me sleep.  It was the first time I slept the whole night in 4 days!

Now that I take more pills than my grandmother, I can probably skip dinner Wink

I'll keep up the regimen (minus the Clonazepam unless needed) and report back any progress.

Thanks!

jhammer98  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 107
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!