Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5-HTP or SSRI (Read 2811 times)
dereksgirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

WA
5-HTP or SSRI
Feb 18th, 2011 at 6:15am

Hi, can anyone tell me if the supplement 5-HTP or if SSRI's are effective for CH relief?

Thanks for any info  Smiley

Words can not express the gratitude I have for all of you who have, in the midst of such great pain, reached out and helped so many...

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: 5-HTP or SSRI
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 8:27am

Used with migraine but not standard meds for CH--as a treatment for the headache.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

--for list of standard treatments.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 8:37am

There was a lot of discussion on this site about 5-HTP back in 2009...you can run a search to get it all. Here's a piece of that thread, written by Monty in August of 2009:

Quote:
Some people report benefits, some people say that 5-htp makes things worse.

If the problem is only a shortage of serotonin, then 5-htp is a good choice. But if the problem is that some of the types of serotonin receptors are too active, and some are not active enough, then 5-htp might or might not work, or might be painful. Unfortunately, CH seems not to be simply a shortage of serotonin.

If a person does have low serotonin, that will limit melatonin production - serotonin is the main building block for melatonin. 5htp usually improves my sleep quality. 

The triptans seem to abort CH by increasing activity at the serotonin 1 receptors (mostly 1B and 1D).  Olanzapine and Kudzu block the serotonin 2 receptors (especially 2A and 2C).  Ginger (which is less talked about but a few people here have said it helps) works on the serotonin 3 receptors.

IMO, 5-htp might best be used by episodics out of cycle to prevent a cycle. Some of the receptors tend to increase in number when serotonin levels are low ... taking 5htp in cycle could thus cause problems, while taking it out of cycle might gradually reduce the over-active problem receptors.  This is speculation - some of us might have other factors that turn up the wrong receptors, even if serotonin levels are adequate. 

My experience was it made things worse, not better. Hope this helps. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

dereksgirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

WA
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 10:25am

Thank you Bob and Lance.

I was confused as to why I couldn't find anything regarding 5-HTP when I looked before.

Turns out I was using the tab "search" instead of the Google search.. Smiley

Words can not express the gratitude I have for all of you who have, in the midst of such great pain, reached out and helped so many...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!