Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trazodone as preventative? (Read 7841 times)
Glenna
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Tennessee
Trazodone as preventative?
Aug 17th, 2011 at 9:21am

I am 39 - female - and have been dealing with clusters for a little over 2 years now, as well as migraines. I have only tried Verapimil as a preventaive - 120mg. I do not have high blood pressure and this exhausted me from my pressure staying too low.

I moved a little over a year ago and have had to start over with Drs. My stress level is off the charts!! I am on my 4th cluster cycle in 2011 and ready to give up! I have done 4 steroid packs this year - I hate them! I do 10mg of Melatonin every night at bed. Yesterday, my new neurologist prescribed Trazodone as a sleep aid/preventative - 50 mg. I took it around 9:30 and did not have uninterrupted sleep, although I don't remember dreaming.  Today, I am wiped! Is this a legit treatment and does it work? I need help and I need the preventative, but I work and can not be this sleepy. Are there more side affects that I should know about?

I see a counselor who does not think I need anti-depressants, and Trazodone is one. Does anyone have experience here?

Thanks!!

Glenna

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Trazodone as preventative?
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 9:34am

Never heard of it.

Potter

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:04am

No anti-depressants are used for prevention. See the PDF file, below, for the latest evaluation report on commonlly used meds. (Print it out and share with your neuro as a tool for discussing treatment optiions. Might consider giving him a copy of the long manual, below.)

This manual is broader in content but you may find it worth reading as general information.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ALL NEW!! HEADACHE 2010-2011
Robbins Headache Clinic

Free, 50-page. Covers all major headache Dx and
related issues.

PDF file.
===
Melatonin as sleep aid: several years ago a good study from England found that using 1/2-3/4mg melatonin was more effective than larger doses. You might try this, vs. 10mg, for a week and see if it's more effective for you.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:17am by Bob Johnson »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Glenna
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:14am

Thanks! I'll check it out. I don't need an anti-depressant, but I think this is also used just as a sleep aid. I wasn't sure if there was a new theory that connected sleep trouble with clusters. Got some reading to do....  Smiley

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 3:50pm

There is some suggestion that sleep apnea is a trigger for Cluster but not "normal" difficulty getting to sleep.

The class of anti-dep. you mention have long been used as a sleeping aid even when the issue of actual depression is on the table or not.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 9:15am

From my experience, trazadone is by design a heavy duty tranquilizer type medicine. Thus, it is normally used to help with sleep. When I took it, I remember it being strong enough to put down a horse. But, never have I heard of iit being used as a prevent. I think they may give it to you to try and keep you asleep through the night. Might I suggest you take a higher dose of melatonin and maybe use the time-released version. Has worked with some succes for me. Best of luck and PF wishes.

Pfunk Cool

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

Glenna
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 9:26am

Pfunk - how much Melatonin do you take? I'm at 10 mg now. How high is too high?

Glenna

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 10:03am

I tried trazadone for depression and while taking it it did nothing for my ch.  It is very strong medicine and does make u very sleepy.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 10:11am

I am not 100% positive how much melatonin would be too high but I have heard alot say they take 12-15mg. Currently, I take 15mg time released every night. It helps me get to sleep quite well and normally does a very decent job helping me stay there. Trazadone never realy did much except to give me that dopey dragging feeling when I woke up.

Pfunk Cool

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 10:25pm

It's an antidepressant commonly prescribed as a sleep aid.   It's not addictive so if someone complains of insomnia it's one of the first options given.

There are a few "antidepressants" that can be used as a preventative, such as wellbutrin, but they very rarely work and so generally they're one of the last things tried.  I tried WB and I suspect I was given it more because my neuro was very concerned with depression ABOUT my CH than her thought that it would affect CH at all.   IDK that it did help, but I did have more vivid dreams and I suspect I coped with the pain a little better.

I've read that there is some concern that any medication that is given as a sleep aid could cause a downward spiral and make things worse as they negatively affect REM (dreaming) which is thought to be one of the healing stages of sleep.  I've never been able to find a study supporting that though, so it may be only supposition.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!