Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PLEASE HELP! (Read 5793 times)
echogirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

PLEASE HELP!
Aug 23rd, 2011 at 10:40am

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with using melatonin as a preventative. I typically get ch's in June, maybe part of July. However I started taking 12mg of melatonin before bed sometime in May, as well as using the HWBR to abort any that tried to sneak in. I must say, I had great success. I had NO nighttime attacks, and the ones I had during the day were all successfully treated with the HBWR. So June and July was such a sigh of relief. However, here we are in August and they are starting up. I haven't completely com off the melatonin yet. Well, I tried to taper off but started having shadows after a few days. So I went back up to 12 mg a night. I was hoping that would take care of the beast, but now it's back, and with a vengance. I did have one this morning that was treated successfully with HBWR, but yesterday I didn't have the same success story. I had one that was so bad and lasted so long, I wound I going to the ER for o2 (which by the way workd, but I've been having trouble getting a script) Anyways, does anyone know if the melatonin can eventually make the ch's worse? I am at a crossroads right now. Any feedback would be great. Should I stick with the melatonin and wait it out, or taper off? I'm not sure which one would be more detramental right now. Please help!
Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2011 at 10:47am by echogirl »  

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: PLEASE HELP!
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 11:44am

Melatonin is a sleep aid not a prevent,  as far as busting ya don't eat them as an abortive.  You must detox first and then bust.  It takes awhile.

Potter

IP Logged

echogirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 12:43pm

I have heard of people using melatonin as an abortive. id I misunderstand somehow. And as far as detoxinf beforing busting, do you mean I have to come off the melatonin? I'm not understanding. I take no other meds for CH's. What apparoach do you suggest I take? I'm open to ideas. I just want relief. I thought I had it since I skipped right over a usual cycle with no lasting attacks. But now I start what I hope isn't an all new cycle. I hope they are just a few strays bidding me farewell for the summer. It's hard to tell since I've never gotten them in August. They have always been predictable up until this summer. So now I'm lost. I just need some direction. I will continue my own search, but any suggestions that anyone else has will be greatly appreciated. I will NOT let them get the best of me! I will not Cope with them, I wil LIVE through them!

IP Logged

echogirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 12:44pm

I'm sorry, I meant to say that I heard of people using melatonin as a preventative, not an abortive. Sorry!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 5:01pm

Could just be semantic differences here. Yes, for some melatonin will "prevent" nighttime attacks. The mechanism by which it does so, however, is quite different than the other, traditional preventatives. Somehow it seems to bridge the transition into REM sleep, which is when most CH'ers get hit at night - when we're making that transition. It usually occurs around 90 minutes after we fall asleep.

No other preventative works this way. Seems your both talking about the same thing, but using slightly different terminology.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

NotH20
CH.com Hall of Famer

x0|Atlanta||usa|421|220|GA,Georgia
Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 9:12am

Echo,

I never thought that Melatonin was an abortive, but more for aid in the REM process as well.  This is the first time I've personally tried it myself in 31 years and once I ramped up to 9mgs at night (which was on Saturday), I have not had a nighttime attack   Grin

Could be luck, could be the Melatonin, could also be the other meds that I'm on (Verap/Prednisone).  This cycle for me is totally different as well as I never get hit during the summer months.  I'm a Spring and Fall sorta gal...so it could also be this off cycle for me that makes me feel the Melatonin is working.

As for your O2, just wondering why your docs won't give you a script?

Mia

NotH20  
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 10:32am

Echo,

Neither Melatonin nor HWBR are abortives.  Both are considered to be a preventative.  Melatonin does help prevent nighttime hits, and proper use of HWBR can help to prevent entire cycles, if used properly.  It is not to be taken to abort every hit you get.

For detailed information on HWBR and detoxing from other medications, please go to clusterbusters.com and read thoroughly. 

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Ken_DFA
CH.com Junior

Normal, IL
Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 2:47pm

Echogirl,

I've never experienced an increase in hit frequency nor severity after beginning nightly melatonin doses (I only use 6mg and its 95% effective for hit-free sleep).  One difference though is that I never start nightly melatonin usage until I am for sure in a cycle. 

There has also been a lot of discussion around here regarding the uneven quality of melatonin out there on the market.  If you have recently switched brands, that might explain your difficulties.  I personally use the 3mg sublingual stuff from wholehealth.com and it works awesome.

-Ken

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 11:08pm

I did a melatonin unofficial survey a year or so back. This is the formula that seemed to have the best track record:

n-Acetyl-5-Methoxytryptamine.

There are apparently some synthetic versions that don't work as well for us. Worth a read on the side label to make sure you get what's worked for others.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Pfunk
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Summerville,South_Carolina
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 12:41am

That's some pretty helpful info there Joe. I've been taking some that I got from the local health food store that has not so much as made me think about sleep, even after 20 mg. I'm gonna go read the label now.

Pfunk Cool

http:facebook.com/ptcimino  
IP Logged

NotH20
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 10:31am

Quick ? for those Melatonin users....this is the first time I've take this - got up to 9 mgs on Saturday and have been PF since Sunday afternoon. Not sure if it's the higher dosage or the beast.  Talked to neuro - if I start getting hit again, he wants me to increase Verap again and possibly take Melatonin during the day - any thoughts on that during the day other than maybe having to take a nap at my desk?   Wink

Mia

NotH20  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 11:03am

I would never take melatonin during the day. It is supposed to aid our body clock during the time when the sun is not in the sky.

Never.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

NotH20
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 11:49am

Thanks Brew.  I was really hoping for a nap at my desk LOL

NotH20  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!