Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need 02 MacGuyver (Read 2579 times)
AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Need 02 MacGuyver
Feb 24th, 2012 at 3:32am

Im in Richmond VA.  Sorry for short post but in a lot of pain and this otherwise awesome site seems to hate the iPad.  Trying to get my 02 to work better before Beast calls soon but don't have access to proper setup yet (promise have read this site for literally two weeks every day now, it's just lack of $$ at the moment).  I have tank, regulator that goes to 15, and the standard cheapo non-rebreather which usually gets thrown across the room because I cannot get it together to coordinate either covering the holes or taping them over then lifting off the mask.  So then I just try to breathe directly from the tube, but I feel I can't breathe fast or hard enough to hyperventilate or abort.  Am I just screwed on the 02 w/o a better reg right now or is there ANY trick to eke out a better result for now? Cry. Thanks tons!  (Seeing neuro on Mon)

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Re: Need 02 MacGuyver
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 3:41am

Quick clarify am in cluster cycle now, 4 hits/day.  On Verapamil 160/day (GP nervous to go higher, I'll make sure neuro has no such reservations), did pred taper but at too low dose (again, GP), lost too much weight on Topamax which did work about 50%.  Chugging Dollar Store energy drink now.  Asking my parents for Batch's vitamins and a high-flow 02 reg and Optimask for my birthday (LOL how sad, cuz I'm 35).  Thanks all.  Roll Eyes

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 6:49am

Hey ANC,

Good move on the birthday presents you requested. In the mean time, see if your folks can't put a rush on the vitamin D3 and mineral supplements...  Offer to wash their car if you live close by and if not, send your mom some flowers...  That usually does the trick.

As you're into MaGuyver...you also need to pick up the makings for a redneck oxygen reservoir bag breathing system. 

You'll need a clean 40 gal trash bag, some duck tape, electrician's tape, and a half or 5/8 inch PVC coupler or a 2" long section of half or 5/8 inch PVC to use as a mouthpiece.  You can use the oxygen tubing attached to the POS disposable mask...  cut the tubing next to the mask.

If you don't have these items handy, you can pick them up at Lowe's or Home Depot.

The complete MacGuyver instructions to build and use this contraption are listed in post #4 of the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You'll need to pre-fill the Redneck Reservoir Bag system and seal it with a rubber band for a gas tight seal ahead of time and exhale away from the mouthpiece during the actual therapy... but other than that, these contraptions have the least breathing resistance of any NRB mask or demand valve in the market and there's no flow limitation.  You'll be able to suck down oxygen like a big dog...

You also might want to ask your PCP or neurologist for the lab test for 25-Hydroxyvitamin D, a.k.a. 25(OH)D, the serum level metabolite of vitamin D3...  If you're able to do this, I suspect your 25(OH)D concentration will come back ≤30 ng/mL.

BTW...  I've been using a Mac since the little lady in marathon togs tossed the hammer through the Orwellian big screen with big brother talking and all the PC droids watching...  I develop a rash if I get close to a PC...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 5:34pm

Thank you, Batch!  Those were EXACTLY the kind of instructions I needed.  Last night I ended up forgoing the tubing altogether and just huffing straight from the regulator (any port in a storm!), but I just wasn't getting the breathing right.  NOW I get it. Off to the hw store now.   Cool

Yep, that commercial was 1984 - aired during the Superbowl.  Apple's got great insurance and takes the trex from $2000/mo. down to $5 but good lord, I can't keep taking 3+ shots per day.  But you know that.  I'll check with my doc on the vitamin test - like I say, great insurance.  Thanks man.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 12:38pm

More MacGuyvering, if you don't mind good sir... no flowers for Mom but managed to snag a freelance client and a trip to BJ's.  So here's what I have to work with for now:  Omega-3 360 mg, D3 5000 IU, calcium citrate 630 mg w/ D3 500 IU, and melatonin 5 mg.  Was unable to find the calcium cit with magnesium/zinc (and honestly, I am more than worried about the zinc as even small amounts turn me into a vomit comet!).

Is it still worth taking the calcium without the mag/zinc?  Anything else I can do to boost the effectiveness?  If I should bring this to another thread, let me know.  I'm just having a hard time wading through that massive 123... thread.  LOTS of info.. Thanks. Smiley

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 12:53pm

Apple's got great insurance and takes the trex from $2000/mo. down to $5 but good lord, I can't keep taking 3+ shots per day.  But you know that.  I'll check with my doc on the vitamin test - like I say, great insurance.  Thanks man. [/quote]

Check out the imitrex tip on the left side of your screen.  You can use smaller amounts of Trex at a time and alleviate some of the rebounds.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 5:41pm

Thanks Jerry.  I've read and used the trick.  Smiley However I need about 4mgs to kill the hits and 4mgs is what I'm prescribed.  As far as I can tell, rebounds are not the problem or I'd expect to be getting HA all day and not just like clockwork in the am right?  Also, here's hoping I won't need the trex too much longer.  Undecided I did enjoy taking the cartridge apart tho.  Neat.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 12:33pm

Hey ANC,

Sorry to be so slow in responding...  I missed your question somehow...  If you have problems with zinc... do you like oysters?  A half dozen on the half shell or a small tin of smoked oysters would give you a weeks supply of very natural zinc.

If you eat a serving of GOMBS... (Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Beans/Berries and Seeds) each day, you'll get nearly all the micronutrients you need to go along with the 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 and Omega 3 Fish Oil... 

Magnesium is the most important cofactor in vitamin D3 therapy... 

See Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 9:53pm

Hey Batch and everyone, sorry it took ME a while to get back.  I wanted to report on the "hillybilly re-breather" bag you suggested.

So there's a big blimp of a trashbag, all sealed-up with duct tape and filled with about 50 gallons of pure 02 next to my bed.  It's secured to a cheap re-breather with the holes taped over (more duct tape).

And it's beautiful! I'm getting much better aborts.   Cheesy  So thank you.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 1:53am

Hey ANC,

Thanks for the update...   Glad to hear the redneck reservoir bag swerkin good...   I love it when a plan comes together...

Take care and keep up that deep breathing...

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!