Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CH - Brain Freeze (Read 6576 times)
Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
CH - Brain Freeze
Apr 29th, 2012 at 9:40am

I'm sure many of you have experienced "brain freeze" when eating ice ream to fast.  The pain is similar to CH, I think.  It appears there has been a break-through in understanding brain freeze.  Perhaps the understanding of CH can benefit from this?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (news.Yahoo.com)

-zg

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: CH - Brain Freeze
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 9:49am

This increase in flow and resulting increase in size in this artery brought on the pain associated with brain freeze.

When the artery constricts, reining in the response to this increased flow, the pain disappears. The dilation, then quick constriction, of this blood vessel may be a type of self-defense for the brain, the researchers suggested

Which brings us back to the dilation/constriction theory! Very interesting article, thanks for posting. Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:08am

I was really impressed when I was reading of a Doctor teaching med students about clusters.  He brought all his students out for ice cream and got them to eat it fast enough to give them all brain freeze.  Then he said something to the effect of "imagine this doesn't go away--this is what cluster headache is like and this is why you need to treat your patient with urgency."  Should be required when they teach about clusters!

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 5:55pm

I like that doc!!!  I wish all new doctors heard something like that.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 6:50pm

Relating a brain freeze,  which almost everyone has had,  to a friend, co-worker or stranger who has never felt the pain of a CH is a fairly good enough analogy to try to make people know what this feels like.  Obviously, I've had both and a brain freeze hurts like hell, but CH pain is far more of a burning hot pain.  Red hot poker in the eye, while a brain freeze is more of a intense ache.   I do think there's a difference.

I don't mean to be picky just that well....I guess I am being picky.   LOL

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 8:35am

Fascinating conversation and article.  When I had my first cycle last fall I used the brain freeze analogy to tell people what I was going through - I think its a useful example, if not quite perfect.

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2012 at 7:53pm

Interesting article.

A question of others though; I can still get brain freeze when say belting down an icy cold Red Bull BUT only on my non cluster side, since I went chronic I have never had a brain freeze on my cluster side.

Just wondering if this happens to others as well?

Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - May 4th, 2012 at 7:52am

Hey, Barry. I also get a brain freeze when chugging on a Monster double. Seems to me it's on the affected side (for me, the right) but I'll pay more attention next time...if I can...I'm usually busy trying to abort the hit. Interesting thought, though. blessings. lance

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #8 - May 6th, 2012 at 1:20pm

I like my ice cream a lot and often. I also eat it too fast somtimes. My brain freeze is always on the right side and my clusters are lefties. The good thing about brain freeze is they only last about 10 seconds (but seem much longer).

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #9 - May 6th, 2012 at 11:05pm

I think it may be a good comparison due to the intensity of the pain and the quickness that it arrives with.

To people with tattos, it's alot easier for me to explain to, I tell them it would feel like getting a tatoo on my eyeball.

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

GG
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2012 at 12:05pm

Just had a big frozen drink from Starbucks... gulped it down fast and got a "brain freeze" on the right side of my head... I kinda chuckled to myself and thought it funny that how I never get any sensations like that on my right side (all my cluster headaches are 100% my left side)... then I had a bit of an insight... that 20 second brain freeze actually lit up all the same pain locations as my real ones (though it is more like a cold tickle compared to an actually attack)... so I Googled it... very interesting stuff...

cluster-headache.blogspot.ca/2008/02/interesting-tid-bit-from-nyu-science.html

bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/08/19/4929146-brain-freeze-the-agony-and-ecstas
y-of-ice-cream?lite

-GG

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 9:29am

Hi all

Here's another and more comprehensive article on brain freeze. Apparently migraine sufferers are more likely to experience them. I suppose that goes for cluster heads as well. I myself find the nature of the pain too similiar to ignore.

Why does ice cream freeze our brain?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)

-zg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!