Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The beast returns - 2013 (Read 8138 times)
thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Re: The beast returns - 2013
Reply #25 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 11:03am

Hi Shane,
delighted to read your post.
It is likely that you were hyperventilating during the "vigurous physical exercise" and that might have kept the beast at bay.
You'll know what to ask your wife when you feel shadows coming on. She should be only glad to help with your headache therapy  Wink Wink Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2016 at 11:06am by thierry »  

IP Logged

Shane Lawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Saratoga Springs Utah
Reply #26 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 3:56am

Onset: 01:40
Intensity: 10/10
+ right eye watering
+ nausea
+ Abortive O2
Distractions of music only, extremely light sensitive
Subsided by 02:00, Duration about 20 mins.
==============================
I have almost forgot what it was like to have a full 10 kips. It took me 15 minutes to get out of bed, go pee, and get downstairs to my chair with the o2 and music, etc. Its just difficult to function and do anything with a full 10 kips raging in your head.
I guess it doesn't help that I'm recovering from a broken foot and ankle, and open repair surgery, So I'm on crutches and a scooter, no walking on it. Try and imagine sliding down 2 flights of stairs on your butt, while battling a full 10 kips.
It seems that almost as soon as I got on the o2 and distractive music it started to subside. i wonder if it was the o2, or just lucky timing.

At this time I feel extremely luck I can pretty much write my own schedule at work, as a professional hacker. The ability to work from home and make my own schedule sure helps to be able to sleep it off tomorrow. I have a clusterhead friend who is a cop and country radio personality, so he is always working nights and has to work through his cycles. God bless you Aaron.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2016 at 4:16am by Shane Lawrence »  

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #27 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 4:03am

Hi Shane,
my recomendation is that you take loading doses of D3.
50000iu D3/day for 5 days + ALL the cofactors.
that will build your levels up quickly

IP Logged

Shane Lawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Saratoga Springs Utah
Reply #28 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 4:18am

Yep, took a full loading dose of the D3 and all cofactors yesterday. Will do same today.

IP Logged

Shane Lawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Saratoga Springs Utah
Reply #29 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 6:21am

Onset: 04:07
Intensity 10/10
Positive for all secondary symptoms: right eye watering, right nose running,  nausea and cold sweats.
Subsided by 04:35
Duration: 28 mins
==================
Difference between 8 and 10? Where my hands are. 8, I can keep them down, just wringing them in my lap. 10, they are in my face, on my head, probing my eye socket and temple, rubbing all over my head.
====
In the past I have had imitrex injections for use at onset, and even though it may not have cut the headache shorter, it may have been preventing a second headache in the same night. Two a night is new for me and sucks twice as hard.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2016 at 6:38am by Shane Lawrence »  

IP Logged

Shane Lawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Saratoga Springs Utah
Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 3:32am

Onset 01:15
Intensity: 7/10 kips
+ right eye watering
+ light sensitive
+ Abortive O2
Subsided by 02:14
=================
Seriously 59 minutes of a 7.
Better than 1 minute of a 10 I guess.
===============
Vitamin D and all supplements on track for rapid ramp up.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2016 at 4:16am by Shane Lawrence »  

IP Logged

Shane Lawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Saratoga Springs Utah
Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 11:22am

Had a second headache between 04:00 and 07:00
Intensity between 4 and 6, as I was able to sleep through the onset and through most of the headache.
Resolved completely by 08:00
It seems that intensity and duration correlate, the lower intensity, the longer duration.
4-6 = 3 hours
7 = 1 hour
10 = 20 minutes
(I know, correlation != causation, but its interesting anyways)

IP Logged

Shane Lawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Saratoga Springs Utah
Reply #32 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 4:04am

Onset 01:48
Intensity 8-10/10
+ Right Eye Tearing
+ Nausea
+ light sensitive
+ sweats
================
Subsided enough to by 02:30.
Duration:42 minutes
Diversion: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2016 at 4:24am by Shane Lawrence »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #33 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 2:57pm

Hey Shane,

You've made a very informative series of posts about your battle with the CH beast.  As it appears you've been taking most of the anti-inflammatory regimen and have started taking 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 since the 9th of August and also started the vitamin D3 loading schedule, you should start experiencing some relief from your present CH symptoms within a few days. 

Knowing your 25(OH)D serum concentration at this point will help in adjusting the vitamin D3 loading dose schedule.

As the CHer who developed the anti-inflammatory regimen in October of 2010 and tracked results reported by hundreds of CHers taking this regimen since December of 2010, I've a few suggestions for you.

I've found that an allergic reaction can prevent a favorable response to the anti-inflammatory regimen.  This is due to the fact that allergic reactions result in a flood of histamine. 

When the histamine reaches the trigeminal ganglia, it triggers the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines, specifically calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) and Substance P.  CGRP is a particularly nasty peptide that triggers neurogenic inflammation and pain.  CGRP also stimulates the release of more histamine and this results in a perfect storm that continues until the chemical reactants in this reaction are used up...  and the pain phase of CH ends.

There are several studies that have found CGRP elevated during the pain phase of cluster and migraine headaches.  This flood of histamine makes just about all CH preventatives including vitamin D3 less effective if they're effective at all.

The solution I've found that works best if an allergy is suspected is to take a first-generation antihistamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL). 

First-generation antihistamines cross the blood brain barrier to block H1 histamine receptors in neurons throughout the brain including the trigeminal ganglia where CGRP is released in the highest concentrations.  Blocking the H1 histamine receptors stops the perfect storm and allows vitamin D3 and its metabolites to help prevent your CH through genetic expression.

I and several CHers here at CH.com have found that a 25 mg Diphenhydramine tablet in the morning and 25 mg tablet in the evening for a week to 10 days is usually sufficient to allow vitamin D3 and its metabolites to prevent your CH. 

Don't drive if you're taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) as it will make you drowsy.  If you need to drive during the day, take 50 mg Diphenhydramine as soon as you get home and are done driving for the day.  Taking Diphenhydramine this way is just as effective.

Viral, bacterial and fungal infections can also reduce the effectiveness of vitamin D3 as a CH preventative.  This is due to our immune systems responding to an insult by viral, bacterial and fungal antigens. This triggers an immune system response that consumes vitamin D3 and its metabolites at very high rates.  This leaves too little vitamin D3 and its metabolites to prevent CH through genetic expression.

As there are no pharmaceutical silver bullets to treat viral infections, our immune systems are the only natural defense and source of healing.  Accordingly, beefing up our immune systems with additional vitamin D3 and vitamin C can be very beneficial for CHers.

I've found that taking a vitamin D3 loading dose of 50,000 IU/day for three to five days and doubling the daily maintenance dose after that for a week to 10 days is effective in both treating the vital infection and preventing CH. 

Adding a 1,000 mg tablet of vitamin C every two hours during the day for a total of 6 grams can also also helpful in combating viral, bacterial and fungal infections.  Vitamin C is a natural antioxident, antiviral and antimicrobial agent with a serum half-life of roughly 30 minutes. 

Humans and guinea pigs lost the genetic resources to synthesize vitamin C so we must obtain it trough dietary sources or supplements.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2016 at 11:53am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Shane Lawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Saratoga Springs Utah
Reply #34 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 10:04am

Just for continuity, had two headaches last night.
Both intensity 8/10
Both duration about 28 minutes
Both + right eye watering
Sweats and nausea were minimal
Onset: 10:21 (approx. half hour after going to bed)
Onset 02:40
===========
Plan on making appointment today to get blood work done, will have them draw calcifediol while I'm there.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #35 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 5:19pm

Batch wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 2:57pm:
Humans and guinea pigs lost the genetic resources to synthesize vitamin D3 so we must obtain it trough dietary sources or supplements.

Humans can synthesize vitamin D3 via our skin (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and many other references), however the amount we make is limited as we're so often covered up when outside or are inside.

Not sure about guinea pigs...

IP Logged

Shane Lawrence
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Saratoga Springs Utah
Reply #36 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 3:38pm

Still have not been in to get my serum levels yet, but I am seeing significantly less pain in number of headaches, and intensity. Yesterday 8/24/16, i woke up with a cluster pain type headache, but only intensity 2/10. it went away within 2 hours. I am still taking the regimen, but at 25000 IUs (5x5000) a day of vitamin D. it seems to be working!

IP Logged

theydontunderstand
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #37 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 3:26pm

Keep up the therapy, Batch may have missed it but with a broken foot your D3 is being used up faster than normal so it will take longer to get the elevated levels needed.

When I started the D3 I just took 50,000 a day until all I had was shadows before tapering down which was about 5 days. I would go longer if needed and not worry.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #38 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 12:53pm

Hey Shane,

Howz the head?  Nearly a month since your last post.

Yikes!  I missed the broken foot as well as the vitamin D typo that should have been vitamin C...  Of course we can synthesize cutaneous vitamin D3... if we run around in the mid-day sun clad in a speedo for 10 to 15 minutes without sunblock... It's the ability to synthesize vitamin C we lost.... 

The new plastic lens... "Cadillac" surgery requires reading cheaters...  and I sure as heck wasn't wearing them when I made that typo... even previewing with large fonts didn't help...

Here's a couple good links on trauma/surgery and its affect on 25(OH)D serum concentrations...

Knee surgery reduced vitamin D by 40 percent in 2 days – May 2011

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Fat soluable vitamins decrease quickly after trauma

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!