Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Shadows" (Read 856 times)
Michael_MA
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Palo Alto, CA
"Shadows"
Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:10pm

All,

Can someone please assist me in understanding 'shadows?' I hear them spoken of throughout the forum and on medical sites, but have yet to find a description or detailed explanation.

I certainly have indicators before an attach and then throughout my active cycle, but an understanding of these shadows would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Michael

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: "Shadows"
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:45pm

Michael,

There are a lot of definitions of a cluster headache shadow...  Near as I can tell the original term came from Bob Kipple, father of the Kip Scale of cluster headache pain.

If you read the Kip scale tab at the left side of this page, you'll see that shadows are a minor cluster headache that intensifies from Kip-1 up to Kip-3.

The simple answer is a shadow is still a cluster headache even if there's relatively little or no pain at all.  As such, a shadow is not normal and should be treated with an abortive at the soonest...  Some shadows fade after a few minutes while others can hang around for hours.  A third category of shadows start benign then ramp up into a screaming a head-banger.

Prior to starting the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 that keeps me and hundreds of other CH'ers free of cluster headaches, I opted for oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation to dispatch/abort shadows as fast as possible.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:46pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!