Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insurance Limits On Sumitriptan (Read 3543 times)
Superirish25
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Insurance Limits On Sumitriptan
Jan 18th, 2015 at 8:31pm

I have been struggling with insurance limits on Sumitriptain with United Healthcare and will recently take over BCBS for insurance. do they have the same limits?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Insurance Limits On Sumitriptan
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:14am

We can't answer such questions since it involves insurance companies and a range of coverage plans which differ depending on who is paying for the insurance, the variation in contracts, etc.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 4:49pm

It won't help you much now, but one trick is to stockpile a few when you are not in cycle. That way you are well prepared for next time and if you have to pay it helps to spread the cost.

IP Logged

chopmyheadoff
CH.com Hall of Famer

Its only a headache, deal
with it - SMACK

x1|warrington|United_Kingdom|europe|158|187|
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 9:08am

I really feel for you guys across the pond.
the thought of not having unlimited access to imigran fills me with dread Sad

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 9:17am

I'm filled with dread on this side of the pond too. Sumatriptan (imigran) is not recommended for any one over the age of 65.  My 65th birthday is in July.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 9:58am

An out-of-pocket affordable abortive has not gained mulch attention here, unfortunately. Once I tried it all other abortives went out the window. Worth a try.
--------------------------
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
=====

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 11:00am

Thanks Bob. Will certainly ask for this if I can no longer have suma.

IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 12:25pm

I am fighting the same battle with my provider over Zomig.  I have been asked to have my doctor send a "statement of medical necessity" to my insurance company.  This has been done, and we are awaiting results. 

Of note - I was in Europe last week and ran out of Zomig.  My doc faxed over a prescription and a hotel concierge located it for me. My cost in the US = $345 for six snorts.  Berlin Cost = $106 for six snorts.  Concierge offered to get it for me anytime I need it, so will be getting lots of scripts from the doc and sending them off to Berlin!

IP Logged

PTLeighton
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

NE, North Carolina
Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 2:02pm

I currently have BC&BS and they do have limitations on Sumatriptan.
There is an automated "Stop" put in their system for quantities that exceed their maximum of 24 units every 180 days.
I was able to get them to override it several times, but it requires determination & tact.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2015 at 9:53am by PTLeighton »  

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 10:39am

I was having serious problems getting enough Sumatriptan as well.  This site saved me--  I seriously doubted that this was true or that it would work but I printed out their coupon and filled a script at Walgreen's for 9 pills, 9 times in a row (30 days apart) and each time the most I paid was $30.  My insurance still pays for 4 Sumatriptan shots a month.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

On a side note, I've said it before and I'll say it again--Olanzapine is a serious drug with serious side effects.  IMHO not to be taken lightly.  I would really research this drug well before deciding to take it.  My headaches have been constant enough that I eventually did try it, but looking back on it now I think I probably shouldn't have.  Besides the nasty side effects that I got (kinda like restless legs but all over my body, all night) another doctor I know was stressing that even individual doses (as opposed to daily) can cause long lasting tardive dyskenisia symptoms.  Just my 2 cents.

-Ricardo

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 3:06pm

We used to have chatter about using Candian sources for meds, bu that has disappeared.

Might be worth exploring:

Canadian sources:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
====

If you explore this oufit or use it, give some feedack.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!