Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible to go from seasonal to chronic? (Read 2681 times)
Jason83
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Possible to go from seasonal to chronic?
May 25th, 2015 at 12:51am

I my clusters were only in the fall until this year.  Now it's on like never before.  My med's aren't working like they used to, not at all really and doctor has me switched tripans as replax quit working.  I can't take imitrex because it makes me feel weird for hours.  Doctor has put me on zolmitripan 5mg as needed.  New cycle is 1am and 1pm like clock work.  Pressure is building as I type now.  Is it possible I'm no longer just seasonal?  The pacing begins.  Hoping the med's kick in  Cry
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2015 at 2:41am by Jason83 »  

IP Logged

Jason83
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Possible to go from seasonal to chronic?
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2015 at 2:41am

They didn't.  Goodnight

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2015 at 4:35am

Spring and Fall is when the  Smiley is known
to pay some of us clusterheads a visit, myself included.

Hoppy.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2015 at 5:52am

Jason83 wrote on May 25th, 2015 at 12:51am:
Is it possible I'm no longer just seasonal?

Possibly, but you only get the chronic label after a cycle has been going for a year without a break longer than a month. And it is only a label. The CH that a chronic gets is just the same, no difference.

Worrying about it won't make any difference. And people who are chronic can go back to "normal" cycles and vice versa.

With your reaction to imitrex was it after taking the tablets or using the injection? With sumatriptan (generic form of imitrex) if I take the tablets I just feel not quite right / off balance / yuck for the rest of the day, but with using the injection I don't get that.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #4 - May 25th, 2015 at 8:59am

You might ask your doc about cafergot.. It's a vaso-constrictor. It's an old drug but works as well (or I think better) than the trex. I never had the side effects from it like with the imitrex.

And wait a few months before you get excited about going chronic. Some episodes just last a longer time than others.

You might (and should) get on the D3 regimen and keep O2 handy (read the O2 literature on the left). They work for so many of us.

Kiss Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Jason83
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2015 at 10:29am

Wasn't sure what the definition was exactly for chronic.  Was typing in panic mode last night.  Pressure is building again already.  Not used to clusters during this time of year.   Just want it to be over already

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2015 at 10:52am

Cluster has unexplained surprises for us! Change in frequency and in what meds is effective, etc. has yet to be explained.

Response is to start over again, to find the meds/doses, etc. which are effective for you. Frustrating but not not your falult.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2015 at 4:36pm

As Barbara said, check out the vitamin D regiment, It
has a good record of becoming pain free for us seasonal
clusterheads.

Hoppy.

IP Logged

mmm3bbb
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|San Francisco|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2015 at 2:20pm

Jason, I've had CH in the fall every 2-3 years for the past 30 years. They always last 3-4 weeks. I moved from San Francisco to Napa (sunnier and probably more pollen-y) in January and got hit in March and it's been going on for 2 months now!!! So I feel like I'm in a similar boat wondering if the rest of my life is going to be spent refilling O2 tanks, hoarding Sumatriptan inhalers and wondering how Darwinism seems to have overlooked Blue Shield.

Maybe the fall>spring shift is a coincidence, but that seems unlikely.

Been on Vitamin D regimen for 2 months. Tried low histamine diet. Tried to add Benadryl but it makes me too sleepy. Ugh.

OK, how about whoever finishes their cycle first drinks a beer in the other's honor!

IP Logged

maryo
CH.com Veteran

Johnny & Roy puzzle where
to apply the O2 mask

x1|Little Deer Isle|USA|usa|536|53|ME,Maine
Reply #9 - May 27th, 2015 at 8:28pm

With Ch, anything is possible. I used to have one episode a year, every other night. I just started my third episode since November. I'm 63.

I connected with someone recently who went headache free at age 67. They came back this year at age 81.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!