Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
does imitrex injections cause you weak arms ,legs (Read 7581 times)
maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Re: does imitrex injections cause you weak arms ,legs
Reply #25 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 2:43am

Just to add, there is also a mouthpiece which you can use directly if you don't want to use the mask for some reason. Basically it's for men with beards who can't get a good seal round the mask but could be useful to any one for various reasons- including if you should fall asleep.

IP Logged

shadia
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Farnham Quebec
Reply #26 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 4:15am

thanks again for the info, i have been pain cluster free for over one week and having just one episode in the last two weeks, i will wait a bit to buy the mask , but i will for sure if or when the CH come back, I think the vitamin D regimen is really helping.

This to shall pass

IP Logged

Zeitgeist
CH.com Alumnus

Clustery szcmustery

|Norway|
Reply #27 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 4:09pm

Bob Johnson wrote on Sep 23rd, 2015 at 3:03pm:
First, taking Imitrex after the attack is well developed produces poor or no relief. Should ake at the first sign of an attack starting.

While I will not recommend this for anyone, and you may be right about Imitrex not working for most developed attacks, this is not my experience.

Some attacks are not pure evil, and some never develops. I have bad experience with Imitrex causing more attacks, so I'm generally cautious using it. That is why I often wait until the pain is unbearable with the Imitrex injection. It's my last resort.

I have never experienced that it doesn't take the pain away within 5-7 minutes. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

-zg

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #28 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 4:45pm

I also have never had a failure with the imitrex injections. I try 02 first - which usually works, but on the odd occasion when it doesn't, I take an injection.

It's the pills which are generally useless once an attack has started. They can take up to an hour to become effective and often by that time the attack is over anyway. However, if I take one at bedtime it's just about started to work by the time the first attack of the night would wake you up. So it helps you get a few hours sleep.

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 1:20am

Hi Maz,
           The pill before sleep is a life saver, and has worked 100% of the time for me, especially after having countless interrupted nights sleep thru a cycle, then the reprieve of a full nights un interrupted sleep !  bliss !.
The quickest a pill has worked for me, from the first wee tingle in the head is about 30 minutes !  mine generally last about 40-45 minutes, so not much of an effect really.
I'm so glad the regime has made my cycles so much milder, as my next move would have had to have been injectables, and there's three things I hate in life,  Warm beer, Runny Ice cream and NEEDLES !   I wouldn't have been able to do it !      I truly admire those that are able too.

all the best
colin

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #30 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 3:17am

Hi Colin
I used to feel like that. I had an absolute fear of ever becoming diabetic and having to have twice or thrice daily injections, and I always said I would never be able to do it.

I was terrified the first time I used one, but believe me - compared to a kip 10 it was a walk in the park. In fact, with that much pain in the head you don't even notice a jab in the leg sometimes. Much preferable to gouging your own eye out with a rusty tea spoon.

Good old D3
Maz.

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 12:33am

HaHa,
          Your right maz, anythings better than a kip 9-10 !!
   My local pharmacy holds the injectable imigran, but luckily I haven't needed to go there. In fact, even though my neuro ( which I haven't seen for 18 months)  is good, the injectable was never offered, in fact I learnt about them when I joined the forum here. My local doctor that I've been seeing for the last 18 months and who has seen the results for me on the Vit regime and been doing all the blood tests didn't even know that was an option when I bought it up with her. But, she acknowledged that If I need them she would write up a script, so that's good.
Hope your doing well Maz ?
colin

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #32 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 4:26am

The injections were never offered to me either. Nor were the pills or the 02, or in fact any of the meds most commonly used for CH. I was just given pain meds for 5 years.

I learned about all the meds here, and had to actually ask for them. It's taken a while but I have 2 doctors in our practice who now have some idea of what's going on, and another who has started to take an interest. I think it helps if you have a K8 right there in thier reception area where it caused a huge fuss. Gets their attention.

Not doing too bad Colin. How about you ? Booked your holiday yet ?
Maz.

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Nov 8th, 2015 at 6:17am

Hi Maz,  sorry for the delay, my inlaws arrived from " "aussie brians" neck of the woods, so we've had to acclimatise them to our Melbourne weather and comfort them from the shock !
I'm going o'k at the minute, I've been in a cycle now for about 6-7 weeks, which is the normal time of the year for me, especially though since we had the warmest October here on record and the pollen count has been off the scale. But, apart from 7-8 break thru kip 1-2's, and a lot of aura shadows, that's been the extent of it. Those kip 1-2 hits have decided to come at precisely 1.00 am in the last week, so I've foiled them for the last few nights by popping an imigran pill before bed time. I've tinkered with the Benadryl, which has been really effective, so its just a case of riding this out now.  Basically, this is my third cycle this year and all of them have basically been just a nuisance factor, with the same intensity, so I'm so happy, and so appreciative of the regime and Batches help.
We took the in laws to dinner last nite, a 5 minute walk to our local Thai restaurant, I couldn't resist sneaking a mouth full of my wife's red wine, my first drink of alcohol in probably 3 years, within 5 minutes, I got slammed ! I had to walk outside into the cool air of the night, thinking that I'd have to make a dash home, but it got to kip 2" ish and was gone in 5 minutes !   What a fool I was !  But wow it tasted nice  Grin
As far as our Holiday goes, I had to tell my wife of my so called surprise ! because we want to try and go for 4-5 weeks, so her work is letting her know by xmas, whether it will be April/ may or august/September, so where in limbo at the minute. They generally only like 2-3 week holidays to be taken at one time, but we are not going to travel all that way for just 2 or 3 weeks, we want at least 4-5 weeks.
  We are SO overdue for a decent holiday and I'm so looking forward to next year !  I'll keep you informed when we actually find out from her work.
all the best, hope things are treating you well
talk soon
colin

IP Logged

Globi
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reply #34 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 3:26am

Mark Olson wrote on Oct 1st, 2015 at 8:01pm:
I took the mask off of the tube and just suck the O2 straight from the tube using Batch's hyperventilation technique.  That works the best for me.

So what is the difference with a non re-breather mask?

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #35 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 4:48am

Hi Globi
The typical non rebreather mask as supplied by hospitals has small holes on each side. One side is usually covered with a small disc, so acts as a one way vent, to let air out, but not in. The holes on the other side are not covered. Air can get in, so although you are breatheing a much higher concentration of 02, the air prevents it from being absolutely pure. I guess the holes are in case you should fall asleep and the tank runs out (which I have done a few times). You can block the holes up, but without that extra air getting in I found it was hard to breathe deeply as the bag doesn't really hold enough.

The mask you can buy here has no holes so the 02 stays pure.

Also, if you take the normal non rebreather  mask off and put the tube in your mouth and seal your lips around it, this also prevents the outside air getting in as you inhale, so the 02 stays pure. The purer the 02, the quicker it will take effect.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2015 at 4:49am by maz »  

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #36 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 5:06am

Hey Globi,

I used a normal non rebreather mask for years. Last month I bought the specifically CH designed one on sale here and it is significantly better.

Well worth the money.

Keep well,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #37 - Nov 12th, 2015 at 7:28am

Hey Globi,

Long time no see...  Sorry you're back with us... 

Have you been down to Scheveningen lately? It had so many great little restaurants with a view of the North Sea, it was one of my favorite areas to eat around Den Haag.

If you're still looking for a good non-rebreathing oxygen mask, check out the following links for a sure fire procedure and DIY Redneck Oxygen Reservoir Bag Breathing System:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care and please keep us posted,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

maryo
CH.com Veteran

Johnny & Roy puzzle where
to apply the O2 mask

x1|Little Deer Isle|USA|usa|536|53|ME,Maine
Reply #38 - Nov 13th, 2015 at 9:49pm

Good to take note of side effects. When I kill a CH, I usually feel very relaxed.

askapatient.com is an interesting place to check out how people are experiencing medications.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!