Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dear Batch - starting the D3 Regiment (Read 8370 times)
Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: Dear Batch - starting the D3 Regiment
Reply #25 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 1:38pm

Rookie,

Add one 50 mg Benadryl with your evening meal. You may have some small infection or minor allergy that is interfering with the the Regimen.

It makes you drowsey, so don't drive after taking. That's why I suggest with your evening meal.

If you can't get Benadryl, wherever you are, the generic name is Diphenhydramine. You can get it on-line on EBay and other sites.

Good luck,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

rookie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #26 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 3:38am

thanks Peter,

today I woke up with a distinct aura and shadows and mild throbbing for the first time.

they do not have Benadryl were I live. they have instead Amydramine, Claritin, or penadol night with paracetamol.  would any of these be a decent replacement to banadryl?

thanks
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2016 at 4:24am by rookie »  

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #27 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 5:30am

Hey Rookie,

I am going to hand you over to the Guru on this.

Go to Batch's thread, "123 days pain free..." In the Medications and treatments section and go to page 92/93 (or thereabouts) and Batch will take you through his logic for Benadryl.

Where do you hail from?

Remember the generic on-line route.

Come back with any questions after you read Batch's piece.

Mind yourself,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #28 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 5:42am

Rookie,

Sorry, that's page 91.

Peter.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #29 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 8:30pm

rookie wrote on Jan 8th, 2016 at 3:38am:
they do not have Benadryl were I live. they have instead Amydramine, Claritin, or penadol night with paracetamol.  would any of these be a decent replacement to banadryl?

Check the ingredients in panadol night. It may be Diphenhydramine hydrochloride which is the generic name for benadryl.

IP Logged

rookie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #30 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 9:29pm

THANKS peter for pointing me to the exact page,

SO it appears all the options I mentioned are 2nd & 3rd generation antihistamines.

after digging around, the only first gen available is Allerfin and sold in 4mg tabs. gona take this and hope the experts batch or hoppy jump in soon.

aura and severity increasing, feeling a monster about to nock me off this gravy train any minute now.

d and calcium results tomw.

wishing everyone a pain free night.

update : my test results for Calcium is 10 mg/dl and vitamin D is 60. 
im guessing my D must have been very low, since its only at 60 with all that Im taking.

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:44am by rookie »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #31 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 2:04pm

Rookie,

Sorry to be so slow...  Allerfin (Chlorphenamine) is a first-generation alkylamine antihistamine similar to Diphenhydramine so it should help when taken in conjunction with the anti-inflammatory regimen to prevent your CH.

With a 25(OH)D serum concentration of 60 ng/mL, you're at the lower boundry of the green zone (60 to 110 ng/mL) where most CH'ers experience a therapeutic response to the anti-inflammatory regimen.

You can speed up the process of rebuilding your 25(OH)D serum concentration by taking 50,000 IU/day of vitamin D3 for 3 to 4 days as a loading dose.  You also may want to pop the vitamin D3 gelcaps between your back teeth and swirl the contents under your tongue and keep them there for at least 5 minutes without swallowing. 

This sublingual method allows Vitamin D3 to enter directly into the blood stream through the arteries and capillaries under the tongue.  This also bypasses the GI tract where you may have a vitamin D3 absorption problem.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

rookie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #32 - Jan 10th, 2016 at 2:30pm

thank you Batch for your feedback.

started taking the Allerfin and since then its been smooth sailing. the light shadows and short bouts I was experiencing are completely gone. 

Cant thank you enough.  I could only imagine my situation if I didn't try the regimen. thank you again for all your efforts to help everyone on this board.
anyone who has not tried the Regimen because he doesn't believe it works or for whatever reason. DO NOT WAIT. GET ON IT.

IP Logged

rookie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #33 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 7:37am

hello everyone,

cycle has ended about a month ago and thanks to the D3 Reg it was the easiest and mostly pain free cycle Ive ever had.

thank you all for your help! PF days ahead to all.

Rookie

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #34 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 8:01am

Hey Rookie,

It's always great to hear news like this.

Long may it continue.

Peter.

IP Logged

rsi2001
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #35 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 10:38pm

First off, a big thank you to Batch and the rest of the posters here. Im now in month 5 and have recently modified the protocol a bit (after tapering down from higher doses and getting my labs checked, all levels were optimal) - now on Vit D3 4000 IU, K2 45 mcg, DHA 450 mg, EPA 250 mg ,Mg Glycinate 100 mg, B complex etc. This is in addition to verapamil + melatonin 6 mg at night, and sumatriptan when needed. i started with episodic ~twice a year in 2006, then converted to chronic in June 2013. The last 2 months have been by far the best ive had since before 2013...

strangely, im also better able to do intense exercise over the last 1-2 months (in the past my chances for an attack were >75% afterward, but now down to <20%). wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

again, thank you to all.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #36 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 1:23am

Hey Rookie,

Thanks for the feedback and kind words.  It's posts like yours that give the wallflowers dancing the cluster two-step on the side line the motivation to start the anti-inflammatory regimen and stop dancing the cluster two-step...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #37 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 6:29am

Rookie,

Your update has brought a ray of sunshine into an otherwise abysmal week.

Thank you.

Peter.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #38 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 4:46pm

Hey RSI,

Welcome to CH.com and the anti-inflammatory regimen.  Thanks for the kind words and PM.  Hopefully we can discuss the contents of your PM in future posts here at CH.com following the Clusterbuster's Conference in Austin, TX next month.

For starters, it appears you're off to a good start with this regimen.  Off hand, as you're still experiencing CH, I'd suggest a higher maintenance dose of vitamin D3. 

I'd also suggest a week to 10 day course of oral Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg in the am and another 25 mg in the evening.   Just be careful not to drive while taking Benadryl as is will make you drowsy.  If you need to drive during the day, taking 50 mg in the evening is just as effective...

The rationale for Diphenhydramine is you may have an allergic reaction cooking somewhere...  Some of these allergic reactions can be sub-clinical with no outward or obvious symptoms...  but they're still there.

The problem with allergic reactions is they cause a flood of histamine that triggers the release of CGRP from the trigeminal ganglia.  What's even worse is CGRP in turn triggers the release of more histamines.  This results in a self-sustaining perfect storm of CH until the chemical reactants are use up and this ends the CH attack...  During this perfect storm, CHers will be refractory to nearly all forms of CH prophylaxis... 

Fortunately a first-generation antihistamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) crosses the blood brain barrier to block H1 histamine receptors.  Blocking the H1 histamine receptors breaks the histamine-CGRP cycle, stops the histamine perfect storm and this enables vitamin D3 to prevent CH through genetic expression...

Regarding a reduction in the frequency of your CH following strenuous exercise...  I'm inclined to attribute this reduction in frequency to the vitamin D3.  That said, the real question is why does strenuous exercise trigger CH?

I'm of the opinion that arterial pH plays a major role in both the pathogenesis of CH and in the abort process with oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation.

During my work in developing new methods of oxygen therapy as a CH abortive, I discovered an upward shift in arterial pH played a significant role in affecting the CH abort. 

The two methods I developed involved using oxygen flow rates that support hyperventilation (25 to 50 liters/minute) or hyperventilating with room air for 30 seconds at forced vital capacity tidal volumes then inhaling a lungful of 100% oxygen and holding it for 30 seconds. You keep repeating either method until the CH abort which averages 7 minutes across pain levels 3 though 9.

Both of these methods result in respiratory alkalosis as a result of intentional hyperventilation that pumps more CO2 from the lungs that normal.  As CO2 exists in the bloodstream as carbonic acid, removing more CO2 than normal reduces the concentration of carbonic acid and this in turn elevates arterial pH making it more alkaline...  hence respiratory alkalosis.

Here's where things get interesting...  The control mechanisms that maintain serum pH between 7.35 and 7.45 involve a process of increasing or decreasing the respiration rate, heart beat rate and constricting or dilating arteries, arteriols and capillaries. 

Almost everything in the human body needs to be maintained in a very narrow range for the many chemical processes within it to work properly. This is known as homeostasis. 

For reference, the body uses a number of homeostatic control mechanisms...  Ever wonder why the normal body temp is 98.6º?  The answer is homeostasis.  There's also calcium, sodium, phosphate, and magnesium homeostasis that maintains the serum concentration of these ions in a very narrow range.

The homeostatic processes that maintain arterial pH are controlled by a small cluster of chemoreceptors and baroreceptors in the carotid bodies located in the two carotid arteries and chemoreceptors in the periphery.

When these receptors detect the partial pressure of CO2 is too low or too high, they signal control centers in the hypothalamus which in turn regulate respiration, heart beat vasoconstriction and vasodilation.

In the case of oxygen therapy with hyperventilation where we've pumped out more CO2 than normal by intentionally hyperventilating, pH homeostasis signals a lower respiration rate, a lower heart beat and it signals the arteries, arterioles and capillaries to constrict. 

All this happens very rapidly as we can elevate our arterial pH from 7.35 to 7.45 and higher in a matter of 3 to 5 minutes as we continue intentionally hyperventilating.  The rapid vasoconstriction made possible with these two methods of oxygen therapy play a key role in the CH abort process.

The combined effect of these homeostatic control mechanisms during normal respiration, slows the loss of CO2 from the lungs allowing the arterial CO2 partial pressure to rise back to normal.

The exact opposite occurs if the partial pressure of CO2 is too high...  For CHers, this can be a trigger as excess CO2 triggers a very rapid vasodilation...  part of the CH pathogenesis... 

This also happens during deep sleep where the respiration rate is lowest allowing the partial pressure of CO2 to rise and the partial pressure oxygen to drop.  As CHers in cycle or near the tipping point... we get hit and wake up with the cluster beast jumping ugly...

Getting back to CH triggered by strenuous exercise...  A byproduct of strenuous exercise is lactic acid...  During normal physical activity, there is sufficient oxygen to metabolize glucose to CO2 and water.  This is called aerobic glycolysis.  However, during strenuous exercise muscles cannot get enough oxygen so breakdown glucose to lactic acid in what is called anaerobic glycolysis. 

For CHers near the tipping point for a CH, strenuous exercise can result in a perfect storm with excess CO2 and lactic acid, both of which trigger rapid vasodilation throughout the body... including the trigeminal ganglia...  a CH trigger.

Sorry about the long-winded explanation, but that's my take on why strenuous exercise can trigger CH.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!