Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello and Thanks (Read 2827 times)
RDS
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hello and Thanks
Jan 7th, 2016 at 9:46pm

Been a lurker for years now, just wanted to finally say hello and thanks to everyone. I've been fighting these bastards for about a decade now I guess. When I think back on the agony I endured before coming here.... Batch has been amazing and has changed my quality of life. My wife discovered this place and Batch has guided us through the last several years to where I am today. Still fighting, but not losing. I cant believe the drugs I was prescribed in years passed, only to arrive at my current regimen of vitamins and O2. Amazing. I really just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you all for sharing your experiences and advice. I feel selfish for not offering the same.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Hello and Thanks
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 1:42am

Hi and welcome RDS.

Whilst oxygen is great for aborting CHs, it can sometimes be hard to take to some places, e.g. when flying. Have you looked at having some sumitriptan injections (also known as imitrex / imigran) so you can always have a CH abortive with you, no matter where you are?

It's good to hear that you're on top of your CH. Long may that continue.

IP Logged

RDS
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 9:22am

I've read a lot about the injections here. Fortunately I don't fly too often, so I take a mini O2 bottle with me in my bag when its "that time". Way back in the beginning I took Immitrex (and Relpax and a collection of drugs, but pill form), but I never tried to injections. The drugs make me feel like crap but getting a few Immitrex injections to take with sounds like it may be a good idea... just in case. People seem to have had good experiences with it. Whats the consensus on Red Bull as a pseudo abortive? I hate the stuff but I'd give it a shot.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2016 at 10:50am by RDS »  

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 10:30am

I prefer Monster, to me they taste better. They also have several that are non carbonated and sugar free.

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 11:57am

RDS,
YOU should look into the vitamin D regiment

Mark

IP Logged

RDS
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 12:15pm

I've been on it for a few years now. And if its any testament to its effectiveness, it was only when I stopped for a while after an operation that "they" came back. My fault for stopping but I'm back in the saddle again and won't get off. Thanks!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 8:37pm

RDS wrote on Jan 8th, 2016 at 9:22am:
Fortunately I don't fly too often, so I take a mini O2 bottle with me in my bag when its "that time".

Do you fly with your own O2 bottle?

Normally this is not something most airlines allow, unless you use their oxygen.

Do check with your airline about this first.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:48pm

RDS wrote on Jan 8th, 2016 at 9:22am:
I've read a lot about the injections here. Fortunately I don't fly too often, so I take a mini O2 bottle with me in my bag when its "that time". Way back in the beginning I took Immitrex (and Relpax and a collection of drugs, but pill form), but I never tried to injections. The drugs make me feel like crap but getting a few Immitrex injections to take with sounds like it may be a good idea... just in case. People seem to have had good experiences with it. Whats the consensus on Red Bull as a pseudo abortive? I hate the stuff but I'd give it a shot.

H RDS.....O2 bottle in your bag?...yikes...Mike is right...check, aint no airline/TSA gonna intentionally allow that... and you could get into major trouble. I once had a 10 min, 5 agent aside for a "suspicious" regulator.

I would also be impressed if you got relief from one of those "toy" bottles...which are mostly a gimmick. To kill a hit usually requires a LOT more O2 than any of these teeny tinys have.

When travelling I used to set up O2 tank delivery at my destination....it's quite easy and common now...

Injections always made me feel "ooky" so I use Zomig NS (5 mg) as emergency/last resort...hellish expensive...and always a battle with insurance...but 99% effective for me without the "ook"

Don't get hung up on energy drink brand...Red Bull is just the first...most expensive and actually the lowest in caffeine and taurine....besides the incredibly awful flavor. You need at least 100 mg caffeine and 1000+ mg taurine per serving...I prefer NOS, Wired, or one of the Monster family. Make sure the sugarless does NOT have Aspartame as that is a trigger for some. I get mine at the dollar store, discount grocery, or special sales...never more than a $1 per can...and usually a 16 oz which is good for 2 hits  for me. For me,as cold as possible (numbing?)and pounding it FAST worked best...and I always thought the carbonated kinds absorbed faster...

Best

Jon
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2016 at 2:53pm by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 4:12pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Whilst for Air New Zealand, this is typical of the policies for major airlines.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This is a good example of why airlines are very cautious about oxygen cylinders on aircraft.

I once got pulled up when going through security on a domestic flight for an unusual metallic object spotted on the x-ray scanner (a regulator). Whilst they were happy for me to fly with the regulator in my hand luggage, they were very careful to make sure that I didn't have a cylinder with me in my hold or hand luggage and that I understood what they were asking.

In contrast I've never been asked about my sumatriptan injections which I've flown with on several hundred flights, both domestic and international.

IP Logged

RDS
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 12:51pm

LOL, I think I wasn't clear, apologies. I don't travel for business and I most likely wouldn't travel if I was in the midst of a "cycle". I'm sure TSA would short-circuit if I  tried to bring an O2 setup on board an airplane.
   Thanks for the energy drink tips, I've only tried it once and its really hard to say if it worked because I did it in conjunction with O2. Red Bull is just awful so I'm glad to know I have several options available. I have never understood how people can drink this stuff by choice  Smiley
  The D regimen and O2 has been a winning combo for me (thanks Batch) for several years now. I really dread having to take any of the medications because they make me feel like, well, crap.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!