Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trade Memory for Heartburn Relief? (Read 3163 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Trade Memory for Heartburn Relief?
Feb 18th, 2016 at 5:05am

I'm not one to fear monger over medications like Prilosec, Nexium, and Prevacid, given I've spent the last 5 years defending vitamin D3 from similar attacks. 

That said, this article appears to have sufficient evidence to take a second look at the possible linkage between proton pump inhibitors and dementia.  Read on then you decide...

Take care,

V/R, Batch

-------------

HSI eAlert - email newsletter 2-17-2016

Dear Reader,

They're some of the most popular drugs on the market today -- and they may be rotting away our brains one pill at a time.

For years I've been warning you about proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) like Prilosec, Nexium, and Prevacid. They're supposed to block stomach acid and relieve your heartburn -- but that's not all they do.

These drugs are handed out like candy even though they've been linked to broken bones, life-threatening infections, and even permanent kidney damage.

But it looks like we haven't seen anything yet.

Because German researchers have just proven that popping these pills could put you on the fast track to dementia -- and maybe even an early grave.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The PPI brain drain
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It used to be that you didn't have to worry about dementia or Alzheimer's until you were well into your golden years.

But all that is starting to change.

The number of seniors with dementia is skyrocketing, and even younger people are now being affected. In fact, there are now more than 200,000 Americans living with early-onset dementia and Alzheimer's.

While these numbers have been shooting through the roof, sales of PPIs for heartburn and acid reflux have been exploding.

And it's starting to look like that's no coincidence.

Researchers from the German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases recently studied seven years' worth of health data on more than 73,000 people. And they found that long-term users of PPIs are upping their risk of dementia by an unbelievable 44 percent.

Yes, you read that right. That's a 44 percent higher risk of developing a disease that can cost you your independence -- and even your life.

And, believe it or not, we're only getting half the story. That's because these researchers only looked at folks taking prescription PPIs.

But by now you know that these meds are about as easy to buy over-the-counter as cough drops. Larry the Cable Guy has practically made a second career for himself hawking Prilosec OTC.

You know, I had a feeling he probably wasn't the best guy to be giving out health advice.

Honestly, when it comes to PPIs, I'm starting to feel like a broken record. It seems like every month or so I'm warning you about a new risk.

Just this summer we were told that they can increase your chances of having a heart attack by up to 20 percent -- and that's even if you don't have any heart problems.

And right before Thanksgiving the news came out about how they can make you up to 50 percent more likely to come down with chronic kidney disease.

Seriously, I could go on and on.

Now, researchers are claiming they're still not sure why PPIs could trigger dementia. But it's hardly surprising once you know how these drugs work.

Your body needs stomach acid to properly digest food and absorb nutrients. And it's no secret that these meds can cause deficiencies in key vitamins like B12 that your brain needs to function.

Look, I know acid reflux can be a big problem. And as I've told you before, there are some very effective ways of preventing it.

Try eating smaller portions and avoid foods that trigger symptoms.
    Don't lay down for at least two hours after eating.
    Wear loose-fitting clothes, and
    Elevate your head at least six inches at night.
    Digestive enzyme supplements have also been found to help, and for the long term, start taking a high-quality probiotic daily.

But if you've been taking PPIs, now is the time to swear them off for good.

Because nobody should have to trade a lifetime of memories for a little heartburn relief. And only Big Pharma would ask us to.

To Your Good Health,

Jenny Thompson

Sources:
"Gastric reflux drugs may be tied to dementia risk" Kathryn Doyle, February 15, 2016, Reuters, reuters.com

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Re: Trade Memory for Heartburn Relief?
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 5:11am

Great Read thanks Batch.

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 5:15pm

Thanks for that Batch,
I am fortunate enough to not need them but that reading makes for scary stuff.
I shall warn those i know that use PPI's

All the best

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 10:38pm

Hi Batch,
I've read recently that the jury is still out on the coating they put on vitamins to help the medicine go down "Could cause cancer". That's a bit of a worry.

Hoppy

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 4:39pm

Vimovo, Naproxen) is the preferred NSAID for long-term use in people with a high risk of cardiovascular (for example, heart attacks or strokes) complications,[3]:665 due to its relatively low risk of causing such complications. Naproxen has an intermediate risk of causing stomach ulcers as compared with ibuprofen, which is low-risk, and indometacin, which is high-risk.[4] In order to reduce the risk of stomach ulceration, it is often combined with a proton-pump inhibitor (a medication that reduces the production of stomach acid) during long-term treatment, in those with pre-existing stomach ulcers, or a history of developing stomach ulcers while on NSAIDs.[2][3]:665,673"

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 12:01am

I took a moment to look up Jenny Thompson and her HSI.

Now I'm no scientist, I admit, but I wouldn't believe that mob if they told me my bottom was on fire, and I truly worry for sufferers of horrible diseases paying them so much money for miracle cures and false hope.

Lemon is 10,000 times more effective than chemo-therapy and will cure cancer? They can cure diabetes with soy?

Their HSI e-Alerts make for sensational reading and are better than the conspiracy theories I invent for 1st of April!

I took your advice, Batch, I read on and decided. Let's just hope I got the wrong Jenny Thompson and the wrong HSI.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2016 at 1:31am by AussieBrian »  

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2016 at 4:41pm

Batch wrote on Feb 18th, 2016 at 5:05am:
I'm not one to fear monger over medications like Prilosec, Nexium, and Prevacid, given I've spent the last 5 years defending vitamin D3 from similar attacks. 

That said, this article appears to have sufficient evidence to take a second look at the possible linkage between proton pump inhibitors and dementia. 

Not only do I respectfully disagree, I completely agree with Brian. Jenny Thompson, the HSI author, is full of crap, and I suspect most of the articles from HSI are also full of hyperbole and omissions aimed at inflammatory fear-mongering.

This kind of drivel can actually do harm to patients. I checked out the Reuters article, and she omitted a lot in order to sensationalize. I'm not against bashing big pharma, but the author is counting on her readers' lack of critical thinking to boost her readership. 

There are many conditions which are treated most effectively with PPI's--Duodenal Ulcer, Helicobacter pylori Infection, Gastric Ulcer, Erosive Esophagitis, Barretts Esophagus, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Multiple Endocrine Adenomas and a few more--some more serious than others. 5% of Barretts leads to ESOPHAGEAL CANCER.

Don't get me wrong, the smallest dose to get the job done is always preferable, and people buying OTC versions need to be fully educated on the risks without biased fear-mongering.

If I had to guess on the PPI/dementia connection, it's probably due to poorer absorption of nutrients from less stomach acid. But so far, no one knows, since it is ONLY an association.

Personally, I would not recommend this HSI article, if only for the fact that it might diminish my ability to have people take me seriously when I discuss the pros and cons of meds and health conditions in general.

Regards,

Patti

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 11:07am

No sugar pills or fish oil please.

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 5:48am

"more than 200,000 Americans living with early-onset dementia and Alzheimer's."

Population of the United States 318 million.
To me that sounds like there are fewer folks with dementia and Alzheimer's than with Cluster headaches.

What is that Jenny chick selling?
Follow the money.

Modified to add.....
This should have been in my statement above....
Thank you Batch for your post. Even though I have my doubts, your message is a good one that we all can think about, discuss and come to a conclusion to use the meds or not. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2016 at 3:29pm by BobG »  

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 1:10am

BobG wrote on Feb 25th, 2016 at 5:48am:
What is that Jenny chick selling?
Follow the money.

Start with Northstar Nutritionals, Bob. Their stock-in-trade is cyberchondria.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!