Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello, I'm new here & need advice (Read 1537 times)
ocean
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hello, I'm new here & need advice
Feb 24th, 2016 at 3:17pm

Hello,
I'm new to the forum.  I began having cluster headaches about 6 months ago & they're mostly chronic.  I was dx by a neurologist who specializes in autonomic dysfunction.  She mentioned the Zanaflex I take for muscle pain would help.  It helps only a very small amount.

I also have severe Dysautonomia...

It's a complicated dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system and I read that cluster headaches are autonomic in origin.

I was reading about oxygen therapy on the forum, and see that it's a powerful vasodilator.  Am wondering if anyone knows if it's okay to use oxygen with dysautonomia?  I have both POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia) as well as NCS (neurocardiogenic syncope). 

Does anyone else with cluster headaches have dysautonomia or seen a neurologist who specializes in autonomic disorders?

I have to travel quite a long distance to see my neurologist & I'm not due to see her until May.  I will ask her this question then but in the meantime I have a doctor who will prescribe oxygen, but I wanted to educate myself further before trying it.

Thank you for this forum!  So much good information.

Ocean

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Hello, I'm new here & need advice
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 3:57pm

Ocean,

Welcome to CH.com...  You've come to the right place.  We know what you're going through with your CH...  and the good news is it doesn't need to be that way.

Dysautonomia on the other hand, is a horse of a different color...

Check with your primary care physician (PCP) for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium, PTH (parathyroid hormone) and vitamin B12.  I suspect your 25(OH)D is low... like less than 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L).

Check your PM inbox.  I've sent you some information that may help.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 3:59pm

ocean wrote on Feb 24th, 2016 at 3:17pm:
Hello,
I'm new to the forum.  I began having cluster headaches about 6 months ago & they're mostly chronic.  I was dx by a neurologist who specializes in autonomic dysfunction.  She mentioned the Zanaflex I take for muscle pain would help.  It helps only a very small amount.

I also have severe Dysautonomia...

It's a complicated dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system and I read that cluster headaches are autonomic in origin.

I was reading about oxygen therapy on the forum, and see that it's a powerful vasodilator.  Am wondering if anyone knows if it's okay to use oxygen with dysautonomia?  I have both POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia) as well as NCS (neurocardiogenic syncope). 

Does anyone else with cluster headaches have dysautonomia or seen a neurologist who specializes in autonomic disorders?

I have to travel quite a long distance to see my neurologist & I'm not due to see her until May.  I will ask her this question then but in the meantime I have a doctor who will prescribe oxygen, but I wanted to educate myself further before trying it.

Thank you for this forum!  So much good information.

Ocean

Vasoconstrictor.

Potter

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 4:02pm

Hello Ocean and welcome,
Sorry that you had to come here but glad that you did.
Stick around, you're in good hands.
We know what you're going through -as regards your CH anyway-. This site is a god send for most of us and is the biggest source of CH knowledge you'll ever come accross.
All the best

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 9:23am

It will help us to direct you to good sources of assistance if you will tell us where you live (city & state, if U.S. or country). At the Home page: Help button-->Edit & Profile --> Location. (This will add your location, just below your name, every time you post a message.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!