Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don't Forget Monday (Read 2320 times)
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Don't Forget Monday
May 26th, 2016 at 7:05am

It's MEMORIAL DAY and the day we thank our Vets who have given their all for us so that we can live in a free country.

In my hometown of Gladewater TX, our Former Students Assoc. has erected some beautiful granite walls with the names of all our vets from the Civil War up to today. And each year we hold a ceremony honoring them.

I urge each of you to take the time Monday to remember our Vets. Some gave some - some gave ALL.

Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Re: Don't Forget Monday
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2016 at 8:08am

How can we forget?  It's the one day each year that Kat will show up and post Flanders Field.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2016 at 5:13pm

A perfect time of year to give blood donations to help a father, mother, child in need; and in honor of American soldiers who have bled for our freedom.

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2016 at 5:40pm

Also, please remember the families of those who gave their lives for us. They continue to pay the price for all of their lives. Wives have lost husbands, fathers and mothers have lost sons and daughters, children have lost their father/mother. Freedom is indeed not free. Some gave all, and their families continue to give. There are those I will be thinking of particularly this weekend.

Sgt. Ian Tawney left behind his wife who was pregnant with their daughter, born three months later.
Lance Corporal James Stack left behind his pregnant wife. We went to his wake.
Lance Corporal Alec Catherwood went through Boot Camp and ACT with my son. His family established the Darkhorse Lodge in his memory as a place for Marines to go when they need a break. The club in my book, Stranded at Romson's Lodge, is very loosely inspired by this.
Lt. William Donnelly IV died on Thanksgiving Day. He was married the previous Sept. 11.

These are just a few of the men from Darkhorse, 3rd Battalion 5th Marine Regiment, who sacrificed their lives doing what the British had been unable to do in the Sangin Province of Afghanistan in ten years. In all, they lost 25 men, with 184 wounded. They took the greatest losses of any unit in the Afghani war, BUT, when they left, the Sangin Province was at peace with no insurgent activity, markets and schools reopened, and roads reopened for the people to travel safely.

I know there are many more we owe a great debt to. These are just the ones I am most closely connected to.

As we celebrate Memorial Day, let's remember what Abraham Lincoln said in his eulogy over the dead in the new cemetary at Gettysburg, " . . .  It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain . . ."

Cry
Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #4 - May 26th, 2016 at 8:27pm

What Barb, Bob, Gregg, and Jerry said.....

...and I dare you to read THIS without a tear or two....

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2016 at 12:56am

Jon, you were right. I couldn't. I did OK until I watched the newsclip of his funeral. I know he didn't know the honors he was given, but they were well deserved, and others know, and that is what matters. Thanks for sharing this, my friend.

jlc

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2016 at 2:05am

Admit to a little "second hand" family info here that makes it a little more personal....my Uncle Hank was a bomber pilot (B-26) in WWII.

Flew over Europe starting in 1943... through and including D-Day. Initially these pilots were told...if you make it out alive after 25 missions you get to go home! Well...by the time he got there so many planes lost and crews killed that  they told him "sorry...now it's 50 missions". SO...he did that...sorry...again!!... he ended up with 68 missions... having been shot down on the last one. Parachute landed next to a cow in France after climbing straight up the deck of a diving plane to get out....not sure how he got back to England. I guess they figured that was enough.

I have a letter he and 4 fellow pilots wrote to Life Magazine. Seems Life played up the 'glamour" bombing runs over Sweinfort and Berlin...and called the other missions "milk runs". Apparently this pissed the boys off!! ...since they were risking their lives every run (something like 40-50% casualties in 8th AF...mostly death). Life apologized...I have that letter too...it was appropriate...as Hank was the only 1 of the 5 to make it back alive.

One of the planes he flew was the "Mild and Bitter"...another famed plane like the "Memphis Belle"...with 4 times the missions (100) and always back.....without losing a crew member.

DFC, Purple Heart, Air Medal, Oak Clusters...I've got 'em all...just trying to figure out what to do with them before I'm gone myself. After all those missions he came home as a flight instructor then
to college. Begged a test flight in a racing plane he was working on for fun....it crashed in 1949 and he was gone... after surviving all that mess. My Mom could only talk about him after 30 years or so...I regret that I never got to meet him......

Best

Jon

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2016 at 3:00am

Jon, that's quite a story in so many ways, not just in how he completed his last "mission" but also in how strangers paid their respects, recognizing not just what he had done but all the others who contributed so much often the ultimate sacrifice.

I found this YouTube video of Mild and Bitter's 100th mission. No sound but lots of video of the mission and maybe you might recognise your uncle if he was there at the time.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

So many amazing adventures that hopefully will never be forgotten...

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2016 at 10:42am

Thank you Mike...I hadn't seen that one...my uncle not there. Seems the crews signed that plane...and I've scanned many pics looking for his...even one he took...but not found his name. Many men flew that plane...it's a remarkable story.

Mom said he didn't like bombers...said "it's like flying a bus"...he preferred P-51's ... "come cucarachas!" (he was Italian). I used to correspond with pilots from WWII vet groups...never found anyone who knew him...but their stories...oh my...there is no movie that has ever captured it completely. One told me that he flew on D-Day...and on the way to France the artillery shells were passing his plane and looked like flying Volkswagens. Imagine that!  They are probably all gone now...I get no posts in any group forums anymore....

Anyway...this is not about me...it's about those who serve or served. it is the rare American family that doesn't have something similar in their past...and I am beyond grateful that I am free...and American...and able to say what I want, when I want, on a forum like this and others.....

Never forget...

Best

Jon
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2016 at 10:50am by jon019 »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #9 - May 27th, 2016 at 7:34pm

jon019 wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 10:42am:
They are probably all gone now...I get no posts in any group forums anymore....

Most will be but not forgotten. The youngest WWII veterans who were just 18 years old in 1945 will be 89 now.

I've memories as a young child talking to my grandparents neighbour, "uncle" Bill. He was a Desert Rat during the war, fighting in North Africa. I never knew exactly what he did but did something that saved a lot of guys winning a medal (British Empire Medal) for it. He never really said much about that part.

My grandfather was for Ireland, which wasn't involved in the war, but like so many people he joined up and was a gunner on an anti-aircraft battery (AAA) helping defend the UK against the Luftwaffe.

My grandmother was a spotter, using telescopic sights to track enemy bombers and helping to feed coordinates to the anti-aircraft batteries, which is how they met and got married.

My step-grandfather was based in the Falklands, which is where there was a pretty intense naval battle during WWI, however during WWII nothing too much seemed to happen so they spent their time guarding hay stacks.

Another relative was in the Royal Navy on convoy duty who survived his ship being sunk in the Mediterranean.

My partner's grandfather was training to be a doctor and ended up in charge of a military hospital with several hundred beds but missed out being able to continue his formal medical training after the war was over.

All are now gone, but not forgotten.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!