Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How long is your cycle? (Read 4540 times)
Georgewhufc
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

How long is your cycle?
Oct 9th, 2016 at 11:40am

For those episodic sufferers, how long is your cycle?

This is my first ever cluster, my neurologist told me it would be up to 3 months of suffering, I'm now 3 months and 5 days in, and still getting low kip attacks once a week and nasty shadows almost daily. I'm still treating with oxygen and am on Batch's anti inflammatory regimen.

Just wanting to know if I should be starting to be concerned with the length of my cycle?! Thanks all

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: How long is your cycle?
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 11:37pm

I can only speak for myself, George, and it might not help a lot, but I've honestly never had two cycles the same. Some went on for months, some lasted only weeks, while one truly lasted several lifetimes.

My defence has always been "one hit at a time, one day at a time, I'll beat the bastage every time".

Tomorrow will be a beautiful day.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:57am

When mine first started (42 years ago) they were hit-n-miss a week or couple weeks at a time. After about 3 years they settled in at 6-8 weeks twice a year. My last cluster started in 2011 and ended about 3 months ago.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 7:19am

Welcome

For 20 years mine would last for 6 to 8 weeks. They would come at all different times of the year. My last one, which just ended, unfortunately lasted 14 weeks.  Stay on the D3 for that helps a lot of us.

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 7:43am

For the first 20 years mine were 4-6 weeks every 8 or 9 months.  Once I turned 40 y/o the cycles got longer but so did the remission periods.  My last one lasted almost 6 months but that was 11 years ago so I believe it was my LAST one!

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 7:05pm

For 43yrs the  Smiley would arrive every Spring and stay for 3 months and same again in the Fall, but Since being on the vitamin D regimen I've been CH free.

Hoppy

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 5:39pm

Mine have been anywhere between a single attack, to 18 months. 
Episodic for 7 years, then chronic for 18 months, and now stopped for the time being.   I agree with Brian - one at a time is the best way to cope.

IP Logged

RoniL
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 1:59pm

It appears my cycle is 28 years of CH ~ 28 years remission & now 28 years later, they are back!!!

6 weeks ago after 28 years of freedom CH has returned, I am devastated to say the least. Back in the day Imitrex worked for me and oxygen wasn't really an option. Now that I am a senior citizen Imitrex is not covered on my plan.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 3:55pm

Episodic since 11 yrs old, now 48...my average is 2 to 3 months, every other year, on odd years, only in the Fall season, left sided.....skipping 56 years at a time the past decade, rumor has it as we get older they subside in frequency of cycles, attacks and intensity, rumor.

G Winkood luck!

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

MaritimeMan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New Brunswick
Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 3:23pm

I have had Episodic CH since I was a teen, but have only been keeping a journal for the past 5 cycles. I'm one of the lucky ones (I guess) It seems mine are pretty predicable lasting 5-8 weeks.

I say lucky as, the more predictable they can become/are, the more you can use the mental defense of "this too shall pass" to help deal.

I am currently on Week 5 of my current cycle. (every 2- 3 years....the free periods have grown over the years) So maybe the rumor is correct.

My cycles 2016, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2008, 2006
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2016 at 3:26pm by MaritimeMan »  

IP Logged

MichelleP12
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 5:30pm

Hello all, this particular cycle has been going on since late September. My neuro has never mentioned D3, and my General MD (whom I saw before my Neuro said that O2 "just wouldn't work for you." So I have only been given O2 in the ER once.

Is there a particular brand of D3 that works best? I have been chronic for years, so eagerly look forward to your advice. Thanks!

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 5:54pm

MichelleP12 wrote on Jan 29th, 2017 at 5:30pm:
Hello all, this particular cycle has been going on since late September. My neuro has never mentioned D3, and my General MD (whom I saw before my Neuro said that O2 "just wouldn't work for you." So I have only been given O2 in the ER once.

Is there a particular brand of D3 that works best? I have been chronic for years, so eagerly look forward to your advice. Thanks!

Sorry to read you have suffered so long without adequate medical guidance. Any reputable D3 should work, keeping in mind the co-factor vitamins that are also required and recognizing your triggers, diet, lifestyle, etc. Somebody else can chime in more on the D3 advice, but my question to you is where do you live?

I have compiled an extensive list of recommended doctors for CH treatment from all over the USA, Canada and abroad. Your doctor is not helping you. I would like to share a few names of doctors with you, that were all highly recommended from fellow CH'ers members of this website. You are clearly in need of a new doctor. PM me if you prefer or reply here. I would be happy to help if you want Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 9:44pm

MichelleP12 wrote on Jan 29th, 2017 at 5:30pm:
Neuro said that O2 "just wouldn't work for you."

How on earth would he know that?

Or does he / she just not believe in O2 working?

I'd be tempted to try another neuro.

IP Logged

Esheel31
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Virginia,USA
Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 9:48am

My first one lasted 3 weeks.
My GP prescribed antibiotics,because;

"You have a sinus infection."

My last one was 17 weeks.
God.

My Neuro feels the same about O2.
He says it only delays the attack.
Fortunately,he is also understanding and has offered to try or prescribe most anything I ask.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!