Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does Oxygen Extend One's Cycle (Read 5664 times)
Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Does Oxygen Extend One's Cycle
Nov 19th, 2016 at 10:22pm

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I'm new here (and I'm having a terrible headache, so please bear with me).

I've had clusters for 20 years, since I was 13, but this is the first cycle I've treated with oxygen. Usually, my cycles last between 35-42 days, but I'm on day 44 right now, and I've had three today and counting.

Is it because of the oxygen? I'm really on the edge of sanity here.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Does Oxygen Extend One's Cycle
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 10:40pm

G'day Constantine, and you're so very welcome here. I can't answer your question myself but on the top left side of your screen is a button marked "Oxygen Info" and perhaps this might help a little.

Either way just stay with us because many people here are only too happy to help.

Welcome aboard,

Brian.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 10:53pm

Thank you, Brian. Ive never met another clusterhead in the flesh in my entire life, and this is crazy this an entire community. My life has been severely compromised by whatever this disease is.

These headaches have derailed my effing life. Completely destroyed relationships with family and friends. I wasn't diagnosed until this summer, and for years, I thought I was causing them or that these were normal. I've never been more depressed in my entire life. I don't even know what to do anymore. I'm very scared. My apartment is a complete mess, with flies flying around piling up trash and dishes. I'm waking up at 9PM at night. I can't do anything.

I just shake my head in pain and pray to a God that probably doesn't exist to make it stop, but it won't. Sorry for the dramatic entrance, but I figure maybe the people here have an idea of what I'm talking about right now. If not, then I'm sorry for wasting your time or whatever. Not my intention to hurt anyone else here.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 11:04pm

No need for apologies, Constantine, because everyone of us here is a ClusterHead or supports someone else who must live with this dread disease.

We have much knowledge we're so very happy to share to allow you to claw your life back.

You're amongst friends now, people who truly understand because we know this nightmare from the inside.

Welcome home.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 11:14pm

Really appreciate the kinds words, Brian. Thank you. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do here on this forum.

Incredible (and sad) how the people here know exponentially more than any of the doctors I've seen. My general physician laughed at me like it wasn't that big a deal when I told her the neurologist diagnosed me with cluster headaches.

The lack of awareness in the world about this disease is terrible. The lack of research into a cure is infuriating. Where's our Michael J. Fox? You really realize how unfair life is when you're a clusterhead.

Anyway, I'm such a Debbie Downer. I need to read some threads and educate myself. Thanks again.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 11:53pm

Here's a quick rundown on some of the threads you'll be reading -

First and foremost we always ask if your Headache diagnosis came from someone qualified to do it. That's to ensure you haven't got something else with similar symptoms that might actually be much worse than our joyful little condition.

Then you'll be learning about oxygen as the Number One weapon in our arsenal. There's lots of info here on how to use it to great effect and it may not be the sort of thing you'd learn elsewhere.

After that there's some medications you can use to help with individual hits, and others that will help you get belted less often.

There's even a lovely concoction of vitamins that was introduced here some years ago, and since improved beyond compare by the selfless dedication of one of our members, which has made life-changing improvements to some 80% of sufferers who  take part.

Then there's little tricks like Red Bull energy drinks, of all things, chug-a-lugged at the first hint of a hit and it can make a major difference to what was going to happen.

Importantly, please understand that you are not alone, which can truly be the worst part of dealing with this monster.

Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes!

Brian down under.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 12:17am

Hi and welcome Constantine

As to if oxygen will extend a cycle, nobody knows. However given a choice of a shorter cycle without oxygen to abort them or a longer one with rapid oxygen aborts I know which option I'd go (and I've used oxygen ever since I got it without any hesitation).

There are a few people with CH in the public eye including a famous actor and an american football player, but it seems to be down played as to how much of an impact it is.

Have you been given anything to prevent CHs? Something like verapamil, lithium or topamax? We've also found that vitamin D3 can be very effective at this too.

Whilst oxygen is great at home it isn't always too easy to move around, so many use imitrex  (imigran / sumatriptan) injections / nasal spray as a way to abort CHs.

Keep reading and ask all the questions you can think of.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 5:48am

Hello Constantine,

As the guys said, you're among friends and expert patients here.

To read up on the Vitamin D treatment the guys referred to, look at the following link.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Read part 2 first, as it deals with doses and the mechanics of the treatment. It is currently helping over 80% of those of us using it, so it's worth a try.

Read and come back with questions galore, if you wish.

Peter
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2016 at 5:50am by Peter510 »  

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 5:55am

Oh and bye the way......I would advise you to change GP. No Doctor should ever laugh at a patient, just because they don't understand a particular condition.

I had one sniggering little charlatan who did that, but it was the last time he saw me.

Incidentally, where do you live in the world??? There may be a fellow Clusterhead in your area.

Mind yoursel,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 11:22am

You're using O2 to abort an attack but you don't mention whether you are using a med to PREVENT attacks. Both are necessary. The duration of your cycles are affected by the preventive.

Print the article, below, and use it to talk your options with your doc.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 6:01pm

Welcome aboard....sorry you have to be...but you'll be glad your here....

Over several decades of ch.com I don't recall anyone mentioning O2 "extending" a cycle.
Some...including myself... noticed an initial  reoccurrence of hit soon after O2 use.....but most
report this is transitory and minimal after a "while". Theory being...blood vessels get "toned"
with repeated exposure....and it's no longer an issue.  Batch could explain this 1000% better...

Personally I can say... without oxygen... my sanity would surely have  been in doubt...and possibly much more.......

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 5:50am

AussieBrian wrote on Nov 19th, 2016 at 11:53pm:
Here's a quick rundown on some of the threads you'll be reading -

First and foremost we always ask if your Headache diagnosis came from someone qualified to do it. That's to ensure you haven't got something else with similar symptoms that might actually be much worse than our joyful little condition.

Then you'll be learning about oxygen as the Number One weapon in our arsenal. There's lots of info here on how to use it to great effect and it may not be the sort of thing you'd learn elsewhere.

After that there's some medications you can use to help with individual hits, and others that will help you get belted less often.

There's even a lovely concoction of vitamins that was introduced here some years ago, and since improved beyond compare by the selfless dedication of one of our members, which has made life-changing improvements to some 80% of sufferers who  take part.

Then there's little tricks like Red Bull energy drinks, of all things, chug-a-lugged at the first hint of a hit and it can make a major difference to what was going to happen.

Importantly, please understand that you are not alone, which can truly be the worst part of dealing with this monster.

Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes!

Brian down under.

Lots of incredible info here, thank you. The vitamin regimen kind of blows my mind if that's actually going to work. On a random side note, I'm rehabbing an elbow injury where we need to kick up some inflammation to help it heal (tendinosis is a chronic injury marked by a lack of inflammation in the tissue), so I may have to just ride this cycle out as to not mess with that, but if these headaches don't end soon, I'm just going to bite the bullet and do it and hope the vitamins don't mess with my rehab.

Really appreciate you taking the time. That goes for all you guys here. This is a club no one wants to be a member of, but it's cool that there are cool people in it. I guess all of us understand what pain is. I think that type of person is an understanding, empathetic one, generally speaking.

Mike NZ wrote on Nov 20th, 2016 at 12:17am:
Hi and welcome Constantine

As to if oxygen will extend a cycle, nobody knows. However given a choice of a shorter cycle without oxygen to abort them or a longer one with rapid oxygen aborts I know which option I'd go (and I've used oxygen ever since I got it without any hesitation).

There are a few people with CH in the public eye including a famous actor and an american football player, but it seems to be down played as to how much of an impact it is.

Have you been given anything to prevent CHs? Something like verapamil, lithium or topamax? We've also found that vitamin D3 can be very effective at this too.

Whilst oxygen is great at home it isn't always too easy to move around, so many use imitrex  (imigran / sumatriptan) injections / nasal spray as a way to abort CHs.

Keep reading and ask all the questions you can think of.

First off, thanks for the PM, Mike. I just replied to you. Really appreciate the PDF files with medical research explaining WTF this stupid disease is. Yes, I'm definitely more informed than my GP at least at this point. I may have to fire her soon.

Re: Oxygen. On some days it's a godsend. It kills off the headache in like 10 minutes on 10 l/s, then from the advice of that poster named "Batch," i added an extra 5-10 minutes of O2 at 6 l/s. Some days it's great, but some days it doesn't work.

Yesterday for example, I got four headache attacks, and oxygen's affect was minimal. It killed the headache for about 10-30 minutes, then it would come back, stronger each time. Eventually, by the third headache, the O2 didn't work at all, and I was forced to ride out a 90 minute hell ride all alone.

I keep notes on my headaches, and I usually have a couple days of relief after a multi-headache day. I got four yesterday, and today I've had none so far. I may still get one (my notes say that does happen sometimes after a bad day), but usually, I get an off day after a bad day. Fingers crossed. It's Day 45.

Re: Celebrities. I did find out about Daniel Radcliffe. We all seriously need to contact that dude and convince him to be our Michael J. Fox. Dead serious.

Just read about the NFL guy, Terrence Knighton. Hope he follows through on his pledge to raise awareness for this now that his playing days appear to be over. I wish him the best.

So far, the only two things I've tried are oxygen and prednisone. I had a cycle back in July, got on predinose and it totally stopped the cycle. I gained 20 pounds (which sucked), but it stopped the cycle. Unfortunately, the cycle came back on October 7th according to my records. I know prednisone is just a temporary stop-gap for Verapmil, but I've gone my entire life without treating a single headache. Shocking I went 20 damn years before I finally got diagnosed.

As of right now, I'm taking all this information you guys have helped me gather, and I'm going to do my best to make an informed decision on my treatment. I'll certainly follow up and ask questions though along the way, to anyone in the mood to answer them. I guess my big fear is reading about all these terrible side effects, and that's holding me back. I'm weighing the decision between riding out a cycle vs. ending the cycle early but dealing with whatever side effect crap is thrown at me.

Peter510 wrote on Nov 20th, 2016 at 5:48am:
Hello Constantine,

As the guys said, you're among friends and expert patients here.

To read up on the Vitamin D treatment the guys referred to, look at the following link.

(Link removed so I could reply as I still need to get to 10 post before posting a link)

Read part 2 first, as it deals with doses and the mechanics of the treatment. It is currently helping over 80% of those of us using it, so it's worth a try.

Read and come back with questions galore, if you wish.

Peter

It's totally nuts just some random guy figured out this crazy vitamin concoction. God bless that dude. Yes, I'm definitely going to try this first I think. Not sure when I'll try it, but I know I will have to at some point.

And thank you for the kind welcome, Peter. I seriously have never met another clusterhead in my life, and it's cool I've met a few of them here on this thread. Crazy situation we're all in.

BTW, on a side note, I'm loving all this clusterheadache lingo I'm having to learn. Pretty funny.

Peter510 wrote on Nov 20th, 2016 at 5:55am:
Oh and bye the way......I would advise you to change GP. No Doctor should ever laugh at a patient, just because they don't understand a particular condition.

I had one sniggering little charlatan who did that, but it was the last time he saw me.

Incidentally, where do you live in the world??? There may be a fellow Clusterhead in your area.

Mind yoursel,

Peter.

Yea, I agree. It was so hurtful when she laughed at me like these headaches were no big deal. Of course, she wasn't even the one who diagnosed them. The neurologist did. I went back to her for a simple follow up, and that's when she goes "oh headaches, that's not bad, come on." She was laughing as she said it.

I told her off in the nicest way possible. I told her google it, watch Youtube videos of people going through it, and then come back and laugh again. I haven't seen her since. I think she could see the hurt in my face that she said something stupid.

I live in West Palm Beach, Florida. Originally from New Jersey. Been getting these headaches since I was 13 years old. I've been episodic my whole life, usually one 28-42 day cycle per year. Sometimes I get two cycles a year, sometimes it skips a year. This is my second cycle of 2016.

I always thought caffeine was causing these. I haven't had caffeine since I was 24 years old, but whenever a cycle would hit, I would think I accidentally got some in my system somehow, maybe through a bite of chocolate, or in a smoothie from a healthfood store, or a soft drink. Now, at least I know that I'm not causing these things anymore. Hey, maybe this means I can have my first cup of coffee in nearly a decade? Gotta appreciate the little things in this hard life of ours, am I right?  Smiley

Bob Johnson wrote on Nov 20th, 2016 at 11:22am:
You're using O2 to abort an attack but you don't mention whether you are using a med to PREVENT attacks. Both are necessary. The duration of your cycles are affected by the preventive.

Print the article, below, and use it to talk your options with your doc.

Hey, Bob! Thanks for the reply. So many cool people here.

Yea, I'm rolling with just the oxygen, and yes, I agree it isn't enough. For me, oxygen is like having a small 8-man squad of Navy Seals helping you against an army of one million zombies. Certainly, I'll take the help, but I'm still a major underdog. At least I'm not going through this with nothing anymore.

My hesitance to try real medication right now is a) the fear of the side effects, but more importantly b) which is to see if my cycle will end on its own soon. Usually my cycles are 28-42 days, and it's Day 45 now. Also, I have this weird suspicion that prednisone just made my cycle rebound. I took prednisone in July, which stopped the cycle, but it came back just 7 weeks later (on October 7th). Admittedly, I have ZERO scientific evidence that that's what happened, but it's my stupid gut feeling. Again, I admit, I have no logical basis for that opinion, so feel free to correct me if you disagree.

When you say "the duration is affected by the preventative," do you mean that it only shortens the cycle? Because I'm all in if that's the case. Have you ever had the cycle rebound because of the medication? Have you ever had your cycle lengthen as a result of the medications? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Thanks, Bob. Appreciate the reply.

jon019 wrote on Nov 20th, 2016 at 6:01pm:
Welcome aboard....sorry you have to be...but you'll be glad your here....

Over several decades of ch.com I don't recall anyone mentioning O2 "extending" a cycle.
Some...including myself... noticed an initial  reoccurrence of hit soon after O2 use.....but most
report this is transitory and minimal after a "while". Theory being...blood vessels get "toned"
with repeated exposure....and it's no longer an issue.  Batch could explain this 1000% better...

Personally I can say... without oxygen... my sanity would surely have  been in doubt...and possibly much more.......

Best

Jon

Hey, Jon. Nice to meet you, thanks for the reply. Yea, none of us want to be members of this club haha. 0.2% of people get these and we had to win one crappy-ass lottery. Oh well, I guess.

So you're saying that over time, the O2 will work better for me? I will have fewer "rebound days" where I get 3-4 attacks? I don't think "rebound" is the right word, but hopefully you get what I'm saying. On a bad day, I get the headache, use 20 mins O2, then it comes back 45 minutes later, more O2, then it comes back 30 minutes later, more O2, and it doesn't work at all, and then I have to ride out a 2 hour headache... Brutal day right there. I did reach a Batch post explaining how to best administer O2, but even his advice doesn't work sometimes.

Yea, my sanity is in shambles at this point, not gonna lie. The O2 is certainly helping, but it's not nearly enough. I'm going to keep using it, but damn. Some days it just doesn't work.

Appreciate all the help so far, guys. Really really thankful. Wishing you guys well right now. I'd say cheers, but alcohol is the last thing I need right now haha. Be well, everyone.  Smiley

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 6:18am

Constantine,

Look at the meetings and gatherings section.  There's someone in your neck of the woods looking to connect with Clusterhead.

Peter.

IP Logged

Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 7:26am

Peter510 wrote on Nov 21st, 2016 at 6:18am:
Constantine,

Look at the meetings and gatherings section.  There's someone in your neck of the woods looking to connect with Clusterhead.

Peter.

Thanks, Peter. I replied to them. Hopefully I don't get murdered if I meet up with them haha.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 10:39am

You acknowledge that you are guessing, and playing with "maybes". Reallyl serves to keep you confused even as you are tyring different responses to your attacks.
The overall effect is to keep you upset and unfocused.

If possible, finding a good headache specialist is worth the investment. Too many docs have quite limited knowledge/skill with Clusters--so finding an experience doc is important.
==
LOCATING HEADACHE SPECIALIST

1. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

2.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

3. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; On-line screen to find a physician.

4. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Look for "Physician Finder" search box. They will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder") which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.

5. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register NEW certification program for "Headache Medicine" by the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties, an independent, non-profit, professional medical organization.
        Since this is a new program, the initial listing is limited and so it should be checked each time you have an interest in locating a headache doctor.
=====================================================================
WHY A HEADACHE SPECIALIST IS RECOMMENDED

Headache. 2012 Jan;52(1):99-113.
Cluster headache in the United States of America: demographics, clinical characteristics, triggers, suicidality, and personal burden.
Rozen TD, Fishman RS.

THERE REMAINS A SIGNIFICANT DIAGNOSTIC DELAY FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE PATIENTS ON AVERAGE 5+ YEARS WITH ONLY 21% RECEIVING A CORRECT DIAGNOSIS AT TIME OF INITIAL PRESENTATION.
==================
A major, unappreciated issue, is that there are many disorders which mimic Cluster--but which are not headache disorders. Good doc can helpre resolve this issue.

A preventive med can block attacks. After some weeks without an attack you can try stopping the preventive--but we have no way of knowing ahead of time whehter the attacks will stop. We are stuck with: stoppung the preventive seveal weeks/months after the latest attack. Then wait and see. If no new attacks you can relax--but with no guarantee that they won't start again at some future time. If they return, you start the abortive and preventive routine again. At some point--no telling--attacks wlll disappear forever(?)--we just don't know.

The trick to your emotional well being is: learn to treat when we are in an active period--but not spending your life worrying and waiting for the next cycle.

This is a major argument for seeing a good doc now to determine that: one, you know that you have Cluster (for sure); and find a good treatment  program.

Only when we reach this point can we relax and gain control over our lives.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #15 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 2:24pm

jon019 wrote on Nov 21st, 2016 at 2:20pm:
Jon

Hey, Jon. Nice to meet you, thanks for the reply. Yea, none of us want to be members of this club haha. 0.2% of people get these and we had to win one crappy-ass lottery. Oh well, I guess.

So you're saying that over time, the O2 will work better for me? I will have fewer "rebound days" where I get 3-4 attacks? I don't think "rebound" is the right word, but hopefully you get what I'm saying. On a bad day, I get the headache, use 20 mins O2, then it comes back 45 minutes later, more O2, then it comes back 30 minutes later, more O2, and it doesn't work at all, and then I have to ride out a 2 hour headache... Brutal day right there. I did reach a Batch post explaining how to best administer O2, but even his advice doesn't work sometimes. [/quote]

Yup....more than likely. And be prepared for some inconsistency...which will drive ya nuts too Huh
Along the way (34 yrs) I've had several different experiences. 5 lpm worked well at one time....then at other times  25 lpm didn't. Years ago if I didn't hit the O2 immediately upon recognizing a hit...it was pointless to use.....and then for several yrs I had to wait until the hit reached a Kip 2 to start O2 or it would just come back. I cannot fathom an explanation....tho beyond the "toning" discussed by Batch, I believe if your hit is destined to last a certain amount of time....if you abort within that timeframe...the underlying cause is still present (O2 is treating the symptom...not the cause) and the hit MAY return.     (note on that last part...all pure speculation...to paraphrase Crash Davis..."I'm as full of doo-doo as the next guy")

....now my cycles are very low "volume" and my M tank gets dusty....but any hits are quite amenable to O2....be sure to get the mask from the ch.com store....mine is a prized possession....

Best

Jon

[/quote]

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #16 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 2:32pm

.....sheesh...I wish I could figure out this sites quote function....I always dork it up!

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #17 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 7:16pm

Constantine...a coupla other comments:

Re caffeine and avoidance. My thoughts are that consumption should be limited so that
the body does not become "used to"....THEN...when hit...a whopping big dose of caffeine plus
taurine (any number of energy drinks with at least 100 mg caffeine and 1000mg taurine)) fast
and COLD provides an immediate "jolt"...or more aptly...blood vessel constriction. I'm sorry that you are missing caffeine for so long and I completely understand....there were times I "almost" hoped
for  cycle just so I could have a damn cuppa joe again. But only as required. And note...in between cycles...caffeine as well as alcohol were NOT a problem. Try between cycles....I doubt either could
start a cycle. Heard of the "beer test" yet?....that's when ya think your cycle is over...so ya try
a beer to see....then HOPEFULLY a few more if you  are indeed.....

Re a celebrity clusterhead....similar to MJ FOX. I always thought the same...and if could be someone like Oprah we'd have a cure TOMORROW (NOT that I wish it on her or anyone!)....
However, while doing Senior drives to med appts I once took a fellow to his weekly Parkinson's group. Rather sheepishly I asked if it would be ok to sit in figuring I might be be an "intruder". Just the opposite...it reminded me of clusterheads...they wanted "civilians " to KNOW!

Price of inclusion was I had to describe what I knew about Parkinsons...they were gonna have some fun with me. Truth be told...I read a number of Neurology journals (for ch and other issues) so I knew some pretty good stuff...they were delighted. It was a very enjoyable meeting...and I learned a lot...BUT...when the subject of MJ FOX came up I was shocked. There was universal disgust...
NOT at Michael...they recognized his struggle and efforts...but they noted that to the world at large all Parkinsons meant was MJ FOX...PERIOD. Everything else was drowned out (even my description
included Michael..... so I kinda got it).

Would it be the same for CH....dunno...but it makes me think

Sorry for the ramble...I do so tend to...

Best

Jon

IP Logged

Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 7:59am

Bob Johnson wrote on Nov 21st, 2016 at 10:39am:
You acknowledge that you are guessing, and playing with "maybes". Reallyl serves to keep you confused even as you are tyring different responses to your attacks.
The overall effect is to keep you upset and unfocused.

If possible, finding a good headache specialist is worth the investment. Too many docs have quite limited knowledge/skill with Clusters--so finding an experience doc is important.
==
LOCATING HEADACHE SPECIALIST

1. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

2.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

3.   On-line screen to find a physician.

4.  Look for "Physician Finder" search box. They will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder") which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.

5.  NEW certification program for "Headache Medicine" by the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties, an independent, non-profit, professional medical organization.
        Since this is a new program, the initial listing is limited and so it should be checked each time you have an interest in locating a headache doctor.
=====================================================================
WHY A HEADACHE SPECIALIST IS RECOMMENDED

Headache. 2012 Jan;52(1):99-113.
Cluster headache in the United States of America: demographics, clinical characteristics, triggers, suicidality, and personal burden.
Rozen TD, Fishman RS.

THERE REMAINS A SIGNIFICANT DIAGNOSTIC DELAY FOR CLUSTER HEADACHE PATIENTS ON AVERAGE 5+ YEARS WITH ONLY 21% RECEIVING A CORRECT DIAGNOSIS AT TIME OF INITIAL PRESENTATION.
==================
A major, unappreciated issue, is that there are many disorders which mimic Cluster--but which are not headache disorders. Good doc can helpre resolve this issue.

A preventive med can block attacks. After some weeks without an attack you can try stopping the preventive--but we have no way of knowing ahead of time whehter the attacks will stop. We are stuck with: stoppung the preventive seveal weeks/months after the latest attack. Then wait and see. If no new attacks you can relax--but with no guarantee that they won't start again at some future time. If they return, you start the abortive and preventive routine again. At some point--no telling--attacks wlll disappear forever(?)--we just don't know.

The trick to your emotional well being is: learn to treat when we are in an active period--but not spending your life worrying and waiting for the next cycle.

This is a major argument for seeing a good doc now to determine that: one, you know that you have Cluster (for sure); and find a good treatment  program.

Only when we reach this point can we relax and gain control over our lives.

Yea I am still firmly in newb territory with knowledge about this condition despite suffering for twenty years from it. You pretty much nailed the anxiety and constant second guessing. Makes me very thankful I found this forum.

I'm definitely on the look out for a new headache doctor, and I've already read some names mentioned here on this board that are near me, so I have some leads. Very important. My current neurologist only mentioned Verpamil and oxygen as my only two options... now that I know that's not the case, it's almost certainly time to venture out and try some new doctors.

I wish this forum existed twenty years ago. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it, Bob.

jon019 wrote on Nov 21st, 2016 at 2:32pm:
.....sheesh...I wish I could figure out this sites quote function....I always dork it up!

Lol, it's all good.

Yea, I know what you mean about learning "the beast" and timing the oxygen the best way possible. Right now I've learned that if I jump the gun, the oxygen won't really work. I have to let the headache hit me for a good 10 minutes before twisting the O2 valve. Not 10 minutes of peak, but 10 minutes of rising shadows. Then it's 10 minutes at 10 liters followed by about 10 minutes at 6 liters.

I did read the oxygen section of this site though, and noticed they encourage us using upwards of 15 liters. That's as high as mine goes, and the stupid oxygen refill place is a good 35 minute drive from me. I guess I'm going to need to figure this out better in terms of how much oxygen I have access too. Something I'm going to have to better plan for because I can kill like 85% of a tank in one day if I get hit with 4 or 5 attacks, and that's just at 10 liters.

I probably should've bought that rebreather mask with the plastic bag yesterday. Guy at the store said that people don't use those for clusters. Now I see they do from this site. I should never listen to people at the store anymore about clusters haha. But it seems like using a rebreather with a bag attached to it conserves more O2?

Anyway, appreciate you helping me out, as always. Thanks for the reply.

jon019 wrote on Nov 21st, 2016 at 7:16pm:
Constantine...a coupla other comments:

Re caffeine and avoidance. My thoughts are that consumption should be limited so that
the body does not become "used to"....THEN...when hit...a whopping big dose of caffeine plus
taurine (any number of energy drinks with at least 100 mg caffeine and 1000mg taurine)) fast
and COLD provides an immediate "jolt"...or more aptly...blood vessel constriction. I'm sorry that you are missing caffeine for so long and I completely understand....there were times I "almost" hoped
for  cycle just so I could have a damn cuppa joe again. But only as required. And note...in between cycles...caffeine as well as alcohol were NOT a problem. Try between cycles....I doubt either could
start a cycle. Heard of the "beer test" yet?....that's when ya think your cycle is over...so ya try
a beer to see....then HOPEFULLY a few more if you  are indeed.....

Re a celebrity clusterhead....similar to MJ FOX. I always thought the same...and if could be someone like Oprah we'd have a cure TOMORROW (NOT that I wish it on her or anyone!)....
However, while doing Senior drives to med appts I once took a fellow to his weekly Parkinson's group. Rather sheepishly I asked if it would be ok to sit in figuring I might be be an "intruder". Just the opposite...it reminded me of clusterheads...they wanted "civilians " to KNOW!

Price of inclusion was I had to describe what I knew about Parkinsons...they were gonna have some fun with me. Truth be told...I read a number of Neurology journals (for ch and other issues) so I knew some pretty good stuff...they were delighted. It was a very enjoyable meeting...and I learned a lot...BUT...when the subject of MJ FOX came up I was shocked. There was universal disgust...
NOT at Michael...they recognized his struggle and efforts...but they noted that to the world at large all Parkinsons meant was MJ FOX...PERIOD. Everything else was drowned out (even my description
included Michael..... so I kinda got it).

Would it be the same for CH....dunno...but it makes me think

Sorry for the ramble...I do so tend to...

Best

Jon

Haha interesting thoughts on caffeine consumption. It's super interesting talking life with fellow clusterheads. Too funny. Yea, I feel like I'm so trained at this point to NEVER consume caffeine that I dunno if I can even bring myself to doing it again haha. It's been nearly ten years since I last had a caffeinated drink! I really used to love the stuff too. I remember being in Italy in 2003 and just slamming espressos with my friend in Florence, wandering around the city exploring, and just loving life. Come to think of it, I was in a cycle during that time, and the espresso shots were probably helping me with the pain. Funny looking back on that now.

Re: what those Parkinson's people said about Michael J. Fox. If I was in that room with them, I would have respectfully disagreed with them. I get what they're saying, but I'd take a powerful celebrity devoting his life to raising awareness and money for our disease over what they're complaining about. Seriously, I couldn't care less if we had Daniel Radcliffe stealing all our thunder, just as long as I knew money was actually being invested in a legitimate cure.

The good news though is that we have a guy named Batch around here that has created a vitamin regimen that is one helluva help to over 80% of us. I'm still studying the particulars of it, but I know for a fact that I have it in my future one day.

It's Day 47 of my cycle right now. Praying this ends naturally soon.

Hope you guys have a pain free day today, wherever you are.  As always, thank you for taking the time to help me out. It means a lot to not feel as alone as I did before I found this place.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #19 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 1:11pm

Buy the mask on sale here at CH.com Store (yellow tab above left of this page).

It's designed specifically for CH and is more effective than any other I've ever tried.

Best regards,

Peter.

IP Logged

Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #20 - Nov 27th, 2016 at 11:34am

Peter510 wrote on Nov 22nd, 2016 at 1:11pm:
Buy the mask on sale here at CH.com Store (yellow tab above left of this page).

It's designed specifically for CH and is more effective than any other I've ever tried.

Best regards,

Peter.

I ordered. The current I have is a POS.

On another note: I really am still wondering if oxygen is just extending my cycle. It's Day 52. For twenty years, I went untreated, and the cycles would last 4-6 weeks. They would be hell, but they were consistent. One attack per day, every day for that duration.

Since doctors starting treating this, with prednisone, or oxygen, or zomig... the cycle has been totally changed. I'm on Day 52 now.

I'm sort of wishing I would have never been treated, maybe it would be over by now.

Just a real shame, this condition. If anyone was wondering, I'm writing this post during a headache. Oxygen totally not working. I'm at Kip Level 6 or so right now, but it could easily get worse any second now. Just an unreal disease.

Pondering buying some shrooms, and obviously going to have to learn Batch's vitamin thing soon. Seems complicated, but I have no choice really.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #21 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 1:28pm

This makes message #20 in this chain--but I don't see any sign that you are looking for a skilled headache doc to get a solid diagnois and some effective treatment.

Hint.....

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #22 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 7:13pm

Bob Johnson wrote on Nov 29th, 2016 at 1:28pm:
This makes message #20 in this chain--but I don't see any sign that you are looking for a skilled headache doc to get a solid diagnois and some effective treatment.

Hint.....

You don't see any sign because that's been discussed in private messages with other users here; BlodieAsh lives in my county and recommended me to her doctor.

IP Logged

Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Reply #23 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:48pm

Consant
I am one that has had enough bad luck with treatments that I don't do them anymore.
I've had these headaches for 27 years and have learned that my cycles extend when I 'treat them".
I use vigorous exercise, fasting, and ketoginic diet and have solid control over them using these methods.
I still get cycles, but the frequency continues to diminish as well as the duration.
Also I function well with these methods during a cycle, so I am not inclied to avoid tasks anymore.

I can't help you on the subjects of O2 as that was a total fail that I don't want to concern myself with anymore.
Good luck

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #24 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 1:25pm

Scorpion wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:48pm:
Consant
I am one that has had enough bad luck with treatments that I don't do them anymore.
I've had these headaches for 27 years and have learned that my cycles extend when I 'treat them".
I use vigorous exercise, fasting, and ketoginic diet and have solid control over them using these methods.
I still get cycles, but the frequency continues to diminish as well as the duration.
Also I function well with these methods during a cycle, so I am not inclied to avoid tasks anymore.

I can't help you on the subjects of O2 as that was a total fail that I don't want to concern myself with anymore.
Good luck

Appreciate the reply, Scorpion. Yea, I stopped treated my headaches as well and the intensity and frequency of the headaches significantly reduced immediately. Triptans, oxygen... they just made each day a day of multiple attacks of varying intensity.

I'm taking some Omega-3 and D3 (and some magnesium), but at very low levels... probably to the point where they're just placebos.

It's day 75 of my cycle currently. Appreciate you sharing your opinion thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!