Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help! (Read 662 times)
Rumeke
CH.com Veteran

Westfield, NC
Help!
Jan 5th, 2020 at 8:34am

Over three years ago my neurologist pushed me to have a sleep study..which showed I did indeed have apnea. I went on CPAP and within two days my clusters stopped.I still continued with the D3 regimen just for insurance.

A month ago I fell and broke my shoulder and I am scheduled for surgery on the 14th.When I saw the surgeon shortly after my accident he told me he planned on doing shoulder replacement surgery within the next week and to stop my fish oil and other meds that could cause bleeding but to increase my D3.

Wen I found out my surgery was moved back by about a month I never restarted my fish oil for some reason. Lo and behold my clusters have returned even with the CPAP and I dread having them while I am in the hospital during and after surgery. Once I am home I can restart the fish oil and I do have a dusty O2 tank with the cluster rebreather mask.

I'm going to speak with my anesthesiologist this week and see if they can supply me with at least 12 LPM I'm going to speak with my anesthesiologist this week and see if they can supply me with at least 12 LPM O2 and let me bring my rebreather.

Meanwhile, I'll go back on the fish oil and load 50,000 D3 for a couple of nights (been taking 20,000 since the beginning of Dec).

If anyone has any brilliant or not so brilliant ideas I would love to hear them.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Help!
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 11:53am

Hey Rumeke,

Interesting problem and there are some great answers why you should be able to continue taking Omega-3 fish oil up to 24 hours prior to surgery without risk of adverse outcomes due to excessive bleeding.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"No need to stop fish oil before surgery

The evidence strongly confirms that it is not necessary to decline the anti-inflammatory and other benefits of fish oil omega-3 fatty acids prior to surgery, even when combined with other medications that affect bleeding."

"In the populations considered, from moderately to severely diseased, at home or in ICUs, no sign of increased risk of clinical bleeding has been reported. The doses of n-3 LC-PUFAs used ranged from 1.5 to 10.2 g/day. There were no statistically significant changes from baseline for the coagulation parameters (PT, PTT, aPTT). There was no increase in bleeding-related events, even with the concomitant use of platelet aggregation inhibitors such as aspirin, VKA or clopidogrel."

We've know for a long time that Omega-3 fish oil was an important part of the anti-inflammatory regimen's capacity to prevent CH.  We've also found that trauma and surgery can reduce serum 25(OH)D3 levels by as much as 70% and well below the CH triggering level causing the return of CH.  Accordingly, your shoulder injury and stopping the Omega-3 fish oil set up a perfect storm resulting in the return of your CH.

Sooo, you're doing the right thing by getting back on the Omega-3 fish oil and taking loading doses of vitamin D3 to get back to a CH pain free state. 

If you haven't switched to the Bio-Tech D3-50 50,000 IU water soluble vitamin D3 capsules, now would be a good time to do so.  You can order them from amazon.com or iherb.com at the following links:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bio-Tech D3-50, 100 water soluble 50,000 IU capsules

There's no sense arguing with someone who is going to take a knife to you. . . so it's prudent to stop the Omega-3 fish oil prior to surgery. . . the only real question is when to stop taking it prior to surgery. 

You can try to make a deal with your surgeon to obtain a lab test of your coagulation factors while taking the Omega-3.  If there are no adverse indications, you should be able to continue taking the Omega-3 fish oil up to 24 hours prior to your elective surgery and resume taking it 24 hours following that surgery.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!