Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The kip scale should be updated (Read 1257 times)
BoomBoomBap
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

The kip scale should be updated
Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:18am

I found this other pain scale that is pretty good. I think the kip scale should be updated to add more details. .

Level 5, a "pacer" is undefined

Level 6, "dancing" is undefined.

Level 9, The "Why me" syndrome is undefined. It probably starts to set in for most people at about level 7.

Level 10, depression probably starts at about level 7. Suicidal thoughts probably start at level 8 or 9.

Kip scale was probably great for many years, but it should be updated I think to add more details to people who are newly diagnosed or who are looking for answers to their questions. People shouldn't have to dig through old forum posts for definitions.

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Re: The kip scale should be updated
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 10:44am

Hey BoomBoom!

Thanks for posting the pain scale. This subject seems to be perennial around here. I used to post about the subjective nature of Bob Kipple's observations on CH pain. Pain is very relative with CH, and even CH pain vs other types of pain--or even male/female responses. Even your scale stops applying to me after PL-2. So it's almost an intellectual exercise to come up with a standard. "Kip" was an early member of this forum, and his scale (and permanent link on the side list) is an artifact of decades ago. Still, it's a start for newcomers.  I personally just use "PL" and a number between 1-10 for pain level if I need to describe it in a post. Hopefully most people will get the general idea.

Take care,
Patti

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 7:22pm

Our Kip scale was only ever intended as a guideline, as mentioned in the intro, rather than as a set of rules.

The only known truth around Cluster Headaches is that no two ClusterHeads are the same so the Kip scale serves us well.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 7:27am

Yeah.  Kip was in on the first ch meeting in Drummer's garage.  In fact, his wife died and was revived at that meeting.  I think we kept his "Kip Scale" more to honor him than anything else.
For me, my ch were either a 0 or a 10.  No in-between.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 10:43pm

Mine were always on a pain scale of 10+ if there is such a thing, within minutes of the first sign of the beast paying me visit.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!