Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Controlling and Preventing CH with Vitamin D3 NEW (Read 759 times)
Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Controlling and Preventing CH with Vitamin D3 NEW
Oct 12th, 2022 at 10:09pm

For the cluster headache sufferers (CHers) out there who have not tried the vitamin D3 therapy and treatment protocol I developed in October of 2010, watch the following video.  I've been a CHer since 1994, so know what you've been going through with your CH.  The good news is it doesn't need to be that way.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You can download a copy of this treatment protocol at the following VitaminDWiki.com link.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Readers of my webpage at VitaminDWiki.com have downloaded over 82,500 copies of this CH treatment protocol since I published it there in Jan 2017.

It's important to see your PCP to ask for lab assays of your serum 25(OH)D3, calcium and PTH (Parathyroid Hormone) before you start this treatment protocol.  You'll need another set of these assays 30 days after starting this treatment protocol.  Take along a download copy of the treatment protocol to discuss with your PCP.

When you have the results of the second assay for 25(OH)D3, calcium and PTH, please take the cluster headache survey for this treatment protocol.  To start this survey, click on the following link:

If you have questions and most CHers do, just ask.  I'll follow this link for any replies asking for help.

Visitors to this website and my post here will not be able to see the important Internet links above.  This makes it important to join this website.  It's free.

If you're not ready to join CH.com, you can always do an Internet query by doing a copy of the following query terms "Youtube Craig Stewart Cluster Headache" and paste them into your browser and hit return.  Then click on the response titled "VITAMIN D3 ANTI INFLAMMATORY REGIMEN"

Take care,

V/R, Batch
Pete Batcheller
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2022 at 5:43am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Controlling and Preventing CH with Vitamin D3
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2022 at 11:47pm

Good job as always,  Batch.  Another link I suspect many might find very, very helpful would be a simple two or three page explanation,  kept nice and simple,  which people can simply print off.

You sent me something similar quite a while back when I was helping a friend with her migraine.

Our greatest weapon against this monster has always been information and the more it gets spread the better the world is for us all,

Brian down under.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2022 at 2:49am

Brian,

Thanks Mate.  Excellent comment  I'll find the one-page primer and post.

Thanks again and take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2022 at 5:41am

I promised an update with the latest treatment protocol and list of supplements in the Anti-Inflammatory Regimen CH and MH Treatment Protocol so here is the Quick Start Guide.  As you will see there are two parts to this treatment protocol, the basic anti-inflammatory regimen and the Antihistamine Full Monty.  For CHers, if there are no changes in CH patterns after a week on the basic regimen, start the Antihistamine Full Monty.  Migraineurs will need to start the Antihistamine Full Monty at the same time as the basic regimen.

Anti-Inflammatory Regimen Quick Start Guide

1.      See your primary care physician or neurologist, whoever has the most recent knowledge of your overall health and any prescribed medications to discuss this treatment protocol and to obtain lab assays for your serum 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D3, a.k.a., 25(OH)D3, Calcium and Parathyroid Hormone (PTH).  Ask that the orders for these labs be sent to the Quest Diagnostics facility nearest your home.  The tests to ask for include the following:

•      25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 [25(OH)D3]. Quest Diagnostics Test Name: 92888-QuestAssureD 25-OH Vitamin D (Total), LC/MS/MS.  CPT Code 82306.
•      Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) Intact and Total Calcium. CPT codes 83970, 82310

2.      Start a headache log if you haven’t already started one.  There are several Smart Phone apps like Migraine Buddy that are free to download that run on IOS and Android.  If you don’t have a smart phone log your headaches on paper

3.      Basic Anti-Inflammatory Regimen Supplements 

If you live in the USA, order the following from amazon.com.  If you live outside the US, you may need order these supplements from iherb.com.  It’s important to order these same brands whenever possible as they have a proven record over the last 10 years producing the best results.

Basic Anti-Inflammatory Regimen Supplements

A.      Nutrasal Micro D3 Nano Emulsion
B.      Bio-Tech D3-50 50,000 IU Water Soluble Vitamin D3
C.      Kirkland Adult 50+ Mature Multi
D.      Nature Made Extra Strength 400 mg Magnesium
E.      Nature Made Omega-3 Fish Oil
F.      Methyl Folate + Vitamin B Complex
G.      LifeExtension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex

4.      Antihistamine Full Monty Supplements

We developed the Antihistamine Full Monty as a replacement for Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL).   These supplements have among other beneficial properties, the capacity to act as antihistamines.  The Full Monty is just as effective in combating the histamine released by allergic reactions and it has none of the drowsiness or adverse side effects associated with long term use of first-generation antihistamines.  We start the Antihistamine Full Monty with two (2) grams/day loading doses for one week of the first four supplements listed below.  You can drop back to a maintenance dose of one (1) gram/day and stay at that dose until the allergens are gone or greatly reduced.

A.      2 Grams/day Turmeric (Curcumin)
B.      2 Grams/day Quercetin
C.      2 Grans/day Resveratrol
D.      2 Grams/day Omega-3 Fish Oil (EPA and DHA)
E.      250 mcg/day Selenium
F.      1000 mg/day N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)
G.      10 mg/day Melatonin (Taken at bedtime)
H.      8 Grams/day vitamin C

I buy the bulk powdered vitamin C in 1 Kg or 2 lb jar as shown below and stir two level teaspoon measures (8 grams) in 12 oz of water.  I drink a gulp of this solution every two hours throughout the day until it is gone by bedtime.  This is the least expensive form of vitamin C at 3 to 4 cents/gram.  The liposomal vitamin C costs 8 to 9 cents/gram.

5.      Starting the Anti-Inflammatory Regimen

It’s best to start this regimen with the accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedule. This is the fastest way to elevate serum 25(OH)D3 up into a therapeutic target range that will significantly reduce the frequency of your CH, MH or prevent them completely.  We use a loading dose of 50,000 IU/day for the schedules listed below by type headache to reach the target 25(OH)D3 serum concentration by type headache:  It is important to drink 2.5 liters/day of water to remain hydrated.

TGT 25(OH)D Concentrations    - Loading Schedules
Episodic CHer 80 to 100 ng/mL. - Load at 50,000 IU/day for 12 - 14 days
Chronic CHer 90 to 120 ng/mL.  - Load at 50,000 IU/day for 14 - 16 days
Migraineurs 100 to 140 ng/mL    - Load at 50,000 IU/day for 16 - 18 days

It's important to understand these suggested 25(OH)D3 serum concentration target ranges and loading schedules are a starting point for the average ECHer, CCHer and Migraineur.  Many CCHers and Migraineurs will require a higher 25(OH)D3 serum concentration, a longer period of loading at 50,000 IU/day and a higher maintenance dose to experience and maintain a CH pain free response. 

In practice, CHers and Migraineurs can start the accelerated vitamin D3 loading schedules and when complete if there's been no change in headache patterns, stay on it for an additional 10 days at 50,000 IU/day or until they experience a favorable response, whichever occurs first then add an extra two days at 50,000 IU/day to build a reserve then drop back to a maintenance dose of one (1) D3-50 a week. 

A few CHers have stayed on this loading schedule at 50,000 zIU/day for 30 days, a total loading dose of 1.5 million IU of vitamin D3 and still maintained a calcium serum concentration within its normal reference range. If you’re taking the oil-based liquid soft gel vitamin D3 formulation your initial maintenance dose will be 10,000 IU/day.  It is still very important to do this loading schedule under a physician’s supervision with lab tests for serum 25(OH)D3, calcium and PTH at 30 days after start of regimen.

If the favorable response occurs before reaching the end of the loading schedule, you need to continue loading until you reach the end of the loading schedule for your type headache. This will build a 25(OH)D3 reserve above the CH threshold.   

Alternative Loading Schedule
In mid 2021, many CHers started evaluating an alternative vitamin D3 loading schedule that uses a combination of 100,000 IU/day of the Bio-Tech D3-50 plus 0.5 ml (40,000 IU/day) of the Nutrasal Micro D vitamin D3 nano emulsion.  This combined 140,000 IU  dose of vitamin D3 is taken for five (5) days for a total vitamin D3 loading dose of 700,000 IU.

6.      30-Day Lab Test.  At the 30-day mark, no matter if you've experienced a favorable response or not, you will need to see your PCP/GP for labs of your serum 25(OH)D3, calcium and PTH.  The serum calcium assay is sensitive to hydration. That makes it important to drink 2.5 liters of water during the 24 hours prior to the blood draw for these lab assays.  A 25(OH)D3 serum concentration below 80 ng/mL indicates additional loading if there's been no favorable response in CH patterns.

7.      Take the Survey.   When you have your lab results in hand, please find the time to take the survey of CHers taking this regimen.  To start this survey, click on the following link:

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2022 at 2:19pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!