Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Dopiest responses to CH (Read 50674 times)
hurts_so_good
CH.com Junior

Hate headaches, love Linux

Lurgan, UK
Dopiest responses to CH
Oct 7th, 2008 at 10:38pm

So what's the dumbest thing someone's said to you when you're in cluster mode?

Stop eating cheese? Go to bed earlier? Just pull the curtains and have a wee lie down? Stop drinking those Red Bulls and you'll be alright?

And so it goes on. Most times I don't even tell people I've got CH anymore, cos they just don't get it. It's easier just to say I've got a migraine to stop the stupid questions.

Even some of the people I love think I'm inventing it, which makes me so angry. They've never run headlong to the fridge at 3am in the morning to find an egg to stick into your eye socket.

Is the word "headache" the killer? When you mention that do they think you're a fake?

Anyway, what's the dopiest thing ever said to you when you mention CH?

Help defeat cluster headaches - use Linux
imnotanaccountant  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: Dopiest responses to CH
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 10:45pm

This one came from a neuro: "take an aspirin and drink a coke".
I dont see him anymore.
Horse doctor Angry
thebb

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 11:11pm

"Go back to your hotel, lay down, turn the lights off, take the phone off of the hook, and just relax! Hopefully that'll nip this in the bud!"

...That's what I was told after being discharged from an ER. My family repeated it when I had my next shadow and we all laughed at the absurdity of it. XD

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

hurts_so_good
CH.com Junior

Hate headaches, love Linux

Lurgan, UK
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 11:20pm

This has the makings of a good thread!

Mind you, there's some understanding out there. One time when I was in cluster in the office I sent a friend out to buy me a facecloth.

He came back with a facecloth and - without asking - a bag of frozen peas. They were half-boiled with eye-socket heat by the time I left the office that night...which saved on cooking time when I got home...

Help defeat cluster headaches - use Linux
imnotanaccountant  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 11:53pm

Ah, this thread brings to mind two different responses, at widely different times.

The first was when I first started having clusters, 29 years ago.  I had been admitted to a teaching hospital, and they observed many hits during the two weeks they had me there.  The head neurologist came in and told me: "No one can have the pain you are "pretending" to have, without something showing up on the tests."  (I was transfered to the psychiatric ward, where I was kept for three months, till I was "cured" {the cycle ended})

The next dumb remark, was many years later, after I had been properly diagnosed, told to me by my darling Mother!  (As a former hair stylist) She told me that if I cut my hair (it was long, and in a pony tail at the time) AND if my wife and I stopped going to those nudist places, my headaches would stop!

So there is the cure!  Keep your clothes on, and your hair short!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:16am

Just today and old friend called to check on me after we talked last week  about me being in cycle with CH. I told him I haven't been getting much sleep lately and avoid sedating myself because I need to respond quickly to a wakeup CH.

He said, "You know what you need is two big shots of Jack.". No, I can't even smell alcohol I said. "Oh then you just need a big fat joint." Kind of makes you want to snap someones big fat joint but bite my lip and thanks for the call. Gotta love em.

Brother said you have CH because you took LSD. Now it stops it!!!!!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 4:57am

""yeah, I get headaches too""
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2008 at 4:58am by Just Plain Carl »  

IP Logged

shelticon2
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Greensboro NC
Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:15am

EVERYONE has a cure the these things. Now , they are only trying to help, so you thank them for their advise and move on.

My mother on the other hand, read in a magazine somewhere that if you eat raisins everyday that you will not get headaches. I thanked her for  her advice and moved on. She however, wouldn't let it go. Every time I saw her, she insisted I need to try it. Even after I explained to her that  all 5 of my doctors were highly educated and well respected she just kept on...

Moms you gotta love em... it's the law

Jim 

Cage the Beast

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 8:42am

Moms you gotta love em... it's the law

Jim 

No one loves you as much...or means as well as mommies!!! Grin

"You just have tooo much stress in your life, stop worrying about stuff and give up coffee!"

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Redrum
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 9:34am

I had a Dr. tell me it was only allergies and I should eat bran muffins with local honey twice a day. Cheesy

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 9:43am

It's all in your head.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 9:45am

" If you stop worrying about it maybe you won't get one!"  This from my well meaning husband.  He tries!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 9:58am

"She's imagining them" by my aunt. I'd like to hear if she said the very same thing to her colleague, who also has ch! Grin
(Hmmm, I have her email addy now, I could write and ask.  Wink)

My mother's "cure": have a donut.
A classic! Grin And believe me, I sure tried that one! Too bad, it doesn't work (at least, not for me...)

Jim,  you can tell your mother that another clusterhead eats a lot of raisins - and still gets ch! So it doesn't work for me; I don't know about the rest of us. But I do love those raisins... It would be great to tell a neuro that raisins keep ch away instead of the meds they wanted me to take! Grin

Sanna

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2008 at 9:59am by sandie99 »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 4:08pm

It's only a freakiing headache - what's the big deal?

There's no way your mom can hurt THAT bad - she just wants you to feel sorry for her! (This from an RN daughter-in-law from Hell who works for a pain management neuro and SHOULD know something - I'm now sitting on my hands!!!!)

Mom, WHY can't they give you something? (This from idiot son who listens to daughter-in-law from hell!)

Breathe Granny Breathe (this from darling grandson who brings Granny O2 tank and stands by until she needs a hug). This one is worth waiting for....

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

NeilB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

England
Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 4:20pm

From my father just the other day:

"Listen to Mantovani"

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 5:52pm

Mantovani huh?   I wonder if Gershwin would work as well.

Stupidest thing? 

Just relax.

I had a HA like that once.

I can cure you with Chiropractic.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 6:15pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 5:52pm:
I can cure you with Chiropractic.

I've heard that one before.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 8:05pm

Theres another thread with great responses in the jokes section too. There are some real classics there...

My mom told me to take a St Joesph's baby aspirin ( the orange chewable kind).  She said she takes those everytime she has a headache and it goes away....

Apparently my mom still has some bottles of this from who knows how long ago...  I hate to break it to her that I haven't seem that at Walgreens in  the past  5-10 years. 

IP Logged

Kushka
CH.com Newbie

North Carolina
Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 8:20pm

"Just don't focus on it and try to do something productive.  It just gets worse when you focus on it."   This from my well-meaning husband.

"Come back to bed and just relax." Again, he means well.

"Try to avoid things that trigger the headaches" - From the ER doc who seems to think I am an idiot who goes around guzzling red wine, chain smoking and eating pounds of chocolate- none of which I do because I have enough attacks without adding fuel to the fire.

Carlyn

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 8:35pm

diagnosed by neuro after a 2 minute office visit."your depressed"
well no $%^& you dumb ^&%$%$&^. that was 5 years ago i have real neuro now.

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 8:50pm

My son came up, kissed me on the head and said "All better?"

It wasn't dopey at all, but I thought Id share anyway.  For a 4 year old (at the time) it was hard to explain to him what daddy was going through but it makes me smile whenever I remember it.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 9:07pm

Kushka wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 8:20pm:
From the ER doc who seems to think I am an idiot who goes around guzzling red wine, chain smoking and eating pounds of chocolate- none of which I do because I have enough attacks without adding fuel to the fire.

Not sure, but you may have just alienated about 85-90% of the people here with your first post.

I hope not. I, for one, am not going to take it personally.

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #22 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 5:38am

FramCire wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 8:50pm:
My son came up, kissed me on the head and said "All better?"

That's so sweet! Smiley
Thank you for sharing that. I love that story.

Sanna

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #23 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 7:53am

I'm so guilty of complaining of a bad headache to Phil.  I know my headache is nothing compared to what he goes through.

Hugs,

Jen
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2008 at 8:01am by flipperlips »  

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Reply #24 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 5:04pm

hurts_so_good wrote on Oct 7th, 2008 at 10:38pm:
So what's the dumbest thing someone's said to you when you're in cluster mode?

Stop eating cheese? Go to bed earlier? Just pull the curtains and have a wee lie down? Stop drinking those Red Bulls and you'll be alright?

And so it goes on. Most times I don't even tell people I've got CH anymore, cos they just don't get it. It's easier just to say I've got a migraine to stop the stupid questions.

Even some of the people I love think I'm inventing it, which makes me so angry. They've never run headlong to the fridge at 3am in the morning to find an egg to stick into your eye socket.

Is the word "headache" the killer? When you mention that do they think you're a fake?

Anyway, what's the dopiest thing ever said to you when you mention CH?

Wow. This is so happening to us right now! We don't say headaches or migraines. We're like "He has a brain disease." People shut up. It's just easier. We used to say "Wicked headaches" but people just think he is a sissy that can't handle a migraine. Whatever...the dopiest thing? "Keep taking Advil."

RIGHT...with the light dusting of hellfire on his brain that no amount of silly little "moderate pain reliever" will EVER be able to help, I'll be sure to follow up on that.

"There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten, but I have loved someone with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!