Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What abortives are you using? (Read 478 times)
Visperas
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

What abortives are you using?
Nov 13th, 2023 at 1:30pm

Hi,
I've only used O2 as an abortive for many years now but since I want to travel and move around a bit more, I've been thinking about getting other abortives in case shit hits the fan. What is the most effective abortive you've used other than O2?
In the past, I've used Sumatriptan injectable but I had rebounds. I've heard there's a nasal spray version now. Is that effective? Can you use it more than the injectables? What about Dihydroergotamines? Anyone using that?

IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Re: What abortives are you using?
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2023 at 3:53pm

I used Zomig Nasal Spray for many years.  Expensive, and insurers don't cover it well, but it was my go-to abortive for a long, long time.  CH free for over 7 years now thanks to Sleep Apnea treatment, but I still keep a stock of Zomig just in case...

As American Express used to say -- Don't leave home without it.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2023 at 9:31pm

...oxygen saved my sanity...perhaps life. it is way more "portable" than portrayed. i kept an e tank at the office...and one in car (strapped in). at least a dozen travels to CA, NV, OK, WA used Lincare travel service and tanks were waiting for me at destination or i picked up at office. same price, no hassles, no charge unused tanks.

...as with Traveller Zomig NS (5 mg) was my abort of last resort. limited usage to avoid rebound. NONE of the nasty side effects of suma inject, gave 18 hr PF time. very portable, easy to use, TSA compliant, unobtrusive. is damned expensive and i also stockpiled out of cycle...expired units worked fine..

...the vitamin D# regimen helped..

...i used the 2 oz 5-hr energy type energy drink shots. way more caffeine/taurine than others...especially red bull with NONE  of the nasty/ridiculous amounts of sugar. cheap at discount grocery store. carried always. tsa compliant. improved efficacy of O2 and sometimes worked all alone...

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 12:15am

John - Got a chuckle from your "stockpiling" comment.  I did the same thing.  I ended up with about 25 spares, but when they passed 5 years expired I tossed them.  My doc said 2 to 3 years post-expiration date was probably ok, but at 5 she doubted they would be effective.  In my worst year of CH I spent over $10k on Zomig. Insurance was almost useless.  They covered one 4 dose pack every 2 months (with a sizeable co-pay).  Cash and carry at the time was about $350  for a 4-pack and I used one every night for well over a year.  Since my sleep apnea treatment in 2015 I have been CH free, but it was painful to toss out a couple of thousand dollars of unused medication.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 4:10am

Traveller,  I know that feeling well.  Had two dozen Imigran nasal sprays I got free from a caring doctor but when they got to be 4 years out of date I asked another doctor who said it's best I get rid rid of them.

Double-checked with my pharmacist who was horrified I still had them!

Didn't even need them by that stage but it broke my heart to wave them goodbye. 

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2024 at 2:55am

What the others said, but I'm now on the vitamin D regiment to keep the beast at bay.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!