Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « strange symptoms (maybe shadows?) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   strange symptoms (maybe shadows?)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: strange symptoms (maybe shadows?)  (Read 4078 times)
plungerjoke
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

strange symptoms (maybe shadows?)
« on: May 14th, 2008, 2:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've had 3 (perhaps 4... the period before I was officially diagnosed is a little fuzzy) bouts of episodic cluster headaches... the last one "ended" around january 08.

i say "ended" because ever since i've had what seems to be called shadows with considerable frequency.  they're located in the same area of my head, and hurt a little bit, but are really very bearable.  I saw a neuro a few weeks ago, and he examined me and heard my symptoms, and said nothing about anything other than clusterheadaches, but this is kind of worrisome.  In the past, when my cycles were done, I forgot I had cluster headaches until they came back and beat me into the ground again.  This time, I feel it every day but it just never becomes the white hot pain .

could this be something other than cluster headaches?  Its always unilateral, and always in the same region as the clusters.  I'm just worried that I could have developed a brain tumor or something?  I realize a doctor is the only person who can tell me if this is the case or not, and i plan on seeing one very soon, but I was just wondering if anyone else has similar symptoms even when more or less pain free?

thank you, and sorry if this is confusingly worded...
-kurt
IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: strange symptoms (maybe shadows?)
« Reply #1 on: May 14th, 2008, 10:52am »

plungerjoke,

I went 19 yrs or so with episodic and no sign of the headaches in between cycles but after my last cycle I get regular shadows--it is freaky and I don't know the explanation for it.  I doubt that you have a brain tumor--probably shadows.  For me things that help is "sleep hygiene" which is going to bed at same time and getting up at same time every day.  Exercise helps too.  But other than that I just kind of accept them--I would say if you can don't worry about them too much b.c that makes them worse.  Good luck to you, Star
IP Logged
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: May 14th, 2008, 11:37am »

Hi Plungerjoke,

I was having lots of shadows that felt just as you described.  Someone here suggested that I try an energy drink such as Red Bull or Rock Star to help knock them out.  It worked for me!

Take Care,

Jeannie
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #3 on: May 14th, 2008, 12:28pm »

I regularly get shadows between cycles.  The occasional rogue hit will come along too just to make sure I don't get too comfortable.

I've found that this happens more frequently as I age.  In the last two years I haven't gone three weeks without at least one day of shadows.  

It's still very different than being "in cycle".

Just my  twocents

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
judyjudyjudy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 14th, 2008, 12:32pm »

Shadows are very common...I have "shadow clusters" in between "beast clusters" regularly.  I find that 800 mg of ibuprofen helps with shadows, which of course, makes the beast just laugh.
IP Logged
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #5 on: May 14th, 2008, 1:10pm »

Hi Kurt

Everyone's mileage varies of course, but I only tend to get shadows whilst in bout.  There have been anecdotal reports of CH morphing into other primary headache types (and vice versa).  Accordingly, if your headaches are continuous, it could be a form of hemicrania continua (HC).

HC is a strictly one-sided headache that is continuous but generally waxes and wanes in intensity.  It is generally defined as mild to moderate in severity, but with more severe exacerbations there may be accompanying same-sided cranial autonomic symptoms as seen in CH and other TACs.  These exacerbations can last from 20 minutes up to several days.

HC shows a complete response to a medication called indomethacin.  This can be used orally as a diagnostic test; however, intramuscular indomethacin (known as the "Indotest" ) has the advantage of much more rapid diagnosis.

Alternatively, they could just be shadows.  As for the tumour thing, it is reassuring to know that very few people with brain tumours have the symptoms of headache alone, but if in doubt, check it out.

-Lee

Edited for inappropriate smiley.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2008, 1:11pm by LeeS » IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #6 on: May 14th, 2008, 2:51pm »

on May 14th, 2008, 12:32pm, judyjudyjudy wrote:
I find that 800 mg of ibuprofen helps with shadows...

That's a lot of ibuprofen. You doing this multiple times per day for many days in a row?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #7 on: May 14th, 2008, 3:28pm »

on May 14th, 2008, 12:28pm, DennisM1045 wrote:
I regularly get shadows between cycles.  

Me too.  I use excedrin migraine and caffine to treat them.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #8 on: May 14th, 2008, 4:55pm »

Hey Brew, I have been taking 800mg at a pop for years dealing with my endometriosis.  I was told by my neuro to take 800mg of ibuprofin and 2 extra strength tylanol at the same time (one acts on kidney the other liver) to combat shadows and low level ch hits.  You can take 800 mg a day 3x a day indefinetly if you have to.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: May 14th, 2008, 7:18pm »

I am out of cycle right now but am having daily shadows, anywhere from one to having six or more and it sure sounds like the same feeling as what you described.  

I now never let my guard down, because the shadows continue to remind me of the CH's daily while PF and out of cycle. Sad  

I get on the o2 when my "shadow" starts to feel like a hit is lurking and that has worked every time so far. Smiley

Hope this helps you in some way.

Barry
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

judyjudyjudy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 14th, 2008, 7:49pm »

800 mg ibuprofen is just the Rx strength.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #11 on: May 14th, 2008, 7:56pm »

That may be Rx strength (or you could just take 4 200mg over the counter tabs), but it's still way too much for my comfort level.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
billyjoe
New Board Veteran
USA 

Go Red Sox!

« Reply #12 on: May 14th, 2008, 9:09pm »

I have the same experience.  Cluster is over but the shadows continued.  After MRI's showed nothing Wink I started taking Gapapentin.  A low dose has worked real well for me without any side effects.  Doc never labeled the problem, but it's working well.  Not sure why it started after my last bout.  Good luck.
IP Logged
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: May 15th, 2008, 8:06pm »

Shadowing right now, neck is warm on Clusterside, right eye leaky, right sinus plugged, but staying as a shadow, not a hit.  

Not dramatizing, but want to share what I am experiencing out of cycle at this moment, and it is a daily reminder several times a day. Tongue
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

..i think to myself, it's a wonderful world..

Email

« Reply #14 on: May 15th, 2008, 10:47pm »

yep, i am shadowing not too.....and the damn mouth/jaw/teeth thing........but hasnt gone to full blown in a few weeks..nothing like getting hit all night for weeks!!........shadowing ....alot lately,seem to be ramping back up on the pain scale......... but i thought if still shadowing still in cycle?? confused still new at this, still dont understand a lot.....................mild hits too......started jan 30, keeping at bay with just elavil at night.....................and of course red bull! so like am i still in same cycle, day 104!!!LMAO.or chronic???????/ dont know, guess i will just live.....................and c what happens!!! and try not to think about 2 much!
deb
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss