Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 3:06pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Chronics or anyone interested in stopping clusters »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Chronics or anyone interested in stopping clusters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chronics or anyone interested in stopping clusters  (Read 1646 times)
bean
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Chronics or anyone interested in stopping clusters
« on: Dec 13th, 2003, 9:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 13th, 2003, 12:04pm, 12gagueblast wrote:
Bean,  dont know your situation but: when i was younger mid to late teens (i am almost 35 now) i would get one or so CHs a year mabey.  they didnt take a cluster pattern untill my early 20's.  i know know that the headachs i had when i was yonger were CHs they were exactly the same but not grouped up, and not quite as intense k6 or so.  dont know if that helps you and hope you dont get any more but thats my story and i'm stickin to it Smiley.

OK now, I know its getting old, but the above quote is just to preempt naysayers.

Now, chronic clusterheads, this is a message to you. I have quit eating the following foods, and my headaches have been drastically reduced.  

*And the effects build up over time. I used to eat and drink all the following(except alcohol and coffee, never been big on those) and would go about my daily routine and when clusters came, they came. Only when I quit eating and drinking them could I tell a sensitivity.
Now the list. It is pretty complete TO ME.

1. Soy sauce--(miso, tamari, shoyu, fish sauce, etc.)  

2. MSG-- monosodium glutamate--the only other name I have seen it listed under is L-glutamic acid one time on a pizza.  

3.tobacco- this even includes smokey rooms and bars, clubs, etc.  

4.chocolate-  

5.coffee-  

6.soda pop with caffiene and/or brown coloring, just to be safe- only orange soda and sprite and the like- YUM!  

7.alcohol-  

8.tea-  

9. sharp cheddar cheese, gorgonzola, bleu, etc. --the gorg and bleu can be eaten every once in a while, and parmigon is just to prevalent and not even the real stuff to worry about.  

10.stress--!

and pickles and saurkraut, just to be as complete as possible

All I ask, suggest, whatever; is for you to quit eating and drinking these for as long as you can. I'd say 3-4 months, or longer if you can. If you don't see ANY improvement, feel free to go back and chow down. I really think you might, though. I'm only asking the chronics because episodals might not want to quit in between the cycles, eg. months and months for the lucky ones.

chocolate might be the hardest for sheer taste, as well as coffee, and MSG might be the hardest for sheer prevalence, this stuff is EVERYWHERE, but it has been one of the most worthwhile things I have ever done. From sheer madness every headache, to VERY manageable (so far, cross fingers).

I want to yell it from the rooftops, I SWEAR TO GOD THIS REALLY WORKS!

Just try it, what do you have to lose?

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2003, 9:59pm by bean » IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

Re: Chronics or anyone interested in stopping clus
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:03pm »

Geeze Bean --- ya never give up, do ya?

What about episodics?

Are you saying that every 18 months, like clockwork, I changed my diet shortly before the cycle started?

Every 18 months for over 20 yrs?    Hmmmmmmmmm
IP Logged
bean
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:14pm »

on Dec 13th, 2003, 10:03pm, brain_cramps wrote:
Geeze Bean --- ya never give up, do ya?

What about episodics?

Are you saying that every 18 months, like clockwork, I changed my diet shortly before the cycle started?

Every 18 months for over 20 yrs?    Hmmmmmmmmm

No, Im saying episodics might not have the inclination or patience to quit eating whats on the list when theres no telling when the rewards will show, eg. their next cycle or two..., since there can be MANY months between cycles.
IP Logged
CC

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Damn, u might as well ask me to cut my penis off too! Embarassed
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:22pm »

This is a quote from the worlds leading authority on cluster headache cut from a large publication by Dr. Goadsby.  

Quote:
General measures and patient education  

Patients should be advised to abstain from alcohol during the cluster bout. Otherwise, dietary factors seem to have little importance in CH. Anecdotal evidence suggest that patients should be cautioned against prolonged exposure to volatile substances, such as solvents and oil-based paints. They should be instructed to avoid afternoon naps because sleeping can precipitate attacks in some patients.  

Bring us some science, your claims have no merit.

Lee Angry
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:30pm by forgetful » IP Logged
Jayne
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Pull my finger!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:26pm »

Me not having any coffee in the morning would cause me STRESS!!!!
IP Logged

If you haven't laughed today, it's been a wasted day. Smiley
CC

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:30pm »

would also like to know how you came up with this list of yours, did you one day just say to yourself, TODAY, i'm going to stop eating soy sauce, then the next say, maybe i'll try not eating blue cheese. the poof, no more headaches!!  I'm very curious as to how you came up with all these foods!! Please do tell
IP Logged
bean
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:42pm »

on Dec 13th, 2003, 10:22pm, forgetfulnot wrote:
This is a quote from the worlds leading authority on cluster headache cut from a large publication by Dr. Goadsby.  

Bring us some science, your claims have no merit.

Lee Angry

I bring myself telling you it worked for me, and I asked you to try it for yourself. Just so you know, I dont have a phd behind my name, or a laboratory, or an assistant named Igor. Try it FOR YOURSELF, or dont. Why wait for someone else to do everything for you?
IP Logged
Elaine

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:48pm »

Hi Bean,
I know you believe in what you are saying. If I stopped all those things I would feel better all the way around I agree with that.  
I was Chronic for over 20 years, I am now eposidic I have not stopped any of my bad habits. such as smoking and drinking coke and coffee.  
I aIn't telling you what I use to think caused my clusters, but after serveral years of not doing it I found out I was missg out and the pain was still there.
Any way I am glad you found what works for you and you have the will power to stop all those things.  
I just think I would be mersiable if I stopped all that.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:49pm by Elaine » IP Logged
bean
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:53pm »

on Dec 13th, 2003, 10:30pm, CC wrote:
would also like to know how you came up with this list of yours, did you one day just say to yourself, TODAY, i'm going to stop eating soy sauce, then the next say, maybe i'll try not eating blue cheese. the poof, no more headaches!!  I'm very curious as to how you came up with all these foods!! Please do tell

its kind of twofold, first, I think my mom told me some doctor we went to said  to avoid certain foods. and then mabye another doc said to avoid others. that might have been the start.

What did it for me, though, is sometimes after eating a HEAP of certain foods, as is my want; and I mean a HEAP, like a hersheys kiss the size of a softball I got for christmas one time, a headache would follow shortly, I cant remember if it was that night, the next, or what, but I would actually FEEL like that food. Hard to explain. For the hersheys just imagine a person in a hersheys kiss costume rolling in pain. Same for pizza, which had msg in it, tobacco, etc. Im just sensitive by nature. chemical sensitivity, etc.  
Plus, analytically, the foods listed are very similar. All aged and/or fermented, with tannins. *** I cant think anymore, mabye tomorrow I'll remember more. Good noght.
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 11:03pm »

on Dec 13th, 2003, 10:53pm, bean wrote:
its kind of twofold, first, I think my mom told me some doctor we went to said  to avoid certain foods. and then mabye another doc said to avoid others. that might have been the start...

...*** I cant think anymore, mabye tomorrow I'll remember more. Good noght.

Hmmmmmmmm... not really sure what to say...

...but I would actually FEEL like that food. Hard to explain. For the hersheys just imagine a person in a hersheys kiss costume rolling in pain...

I tried to imagine that and I'm rolling around on the floor, but I sure as hell am not in pain.    
 crackup
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 11:30pm »

Dietary solutions for CH haven't a good track record here. We've had some real characters, especially on the old board, some of who were more than insistent that we were morons for not signing on to some bizarre lifestyle or food avoidance regimens. I'm not saying your ideas are like that but it's why you're finding this skepticism.  

We're a tough sell.

Good luck though.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 11:50pm »

Post it once, and you are sharing info.

Keep posting the same shit over and over again just gets annoying.  Every time I see a thread started by you...the thought comes to mind "oh shit, not again..."

Whether this works or not...it's getting old.

If I recall correctly, you are not even seeing a doc or had CH diagnosed...  I could be mistaken someone else, but still.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 11:53pm »

on Dec 13th, 2003, 11:50pm, Prense wrote:
If I recall correctly, you are not even seeing a doc or had CH diagnosed...  I could be mistaken someone else, but still.

and he gets 2 short cycles per year (one headache each)  ever since he quit crack!   oops almost forgot - and he imagines himself dressed up as food    Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 11:55pm »

on Dec 13th, 2003, 11:53pm, brain_cramps wrote:

and he gets 2 short cycles per year (one headache each)  ever since he quit crack!   oops almost forgot - and he imagines himself dressed up as food    Roll Eyes

OMG Grant!...you f*&cking kill me!   Grin
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 11:57pm »

You know I saw a lady once in the grocery store.  She brought her own basket to the store because she did not want the food she bought to touch a shopping cart.  Each item she bought, she took right from the shelf and placed them straight in a clean plastic bag. When she got to the checkout, she handed each item from the basket, carefully to the cashier, and then after it was scanned, the cashier handed it back to her.  At no time did the food come into contact with the conveyor belt or counter.

This unusual elimination of contaminates from her food,  
certainly must have contributed to her decrease in cluster headaches.  Maybe we all should try it for a few months.  

What'dya say guys??

really reachin'.........little deb
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
CathiP

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 12:04am »

Lil Deb.....good thinking...BTW- I think I have seen that lady on 20/20....funny, she wasn't being interviewed for a MEDICAL ailment.....it was a MENTAL one.......silly me...

But, now I'm thinkin......as a non-sufferer.....IF I get into drinking Pepsi, and eating all aged cheese.....AND I eat enuf chocolate....will I then become a CH'er???

How does Havarti stack up, Bean?  

Goin shopping, and I'd still much rather be a non-sufferer.....

Heaven help me!

Cathi
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 12:22am »

on Dec 13th, 2003, 10:20pm, CC wrote:
Damn, u might as well ask me to cut my penis off too! Embarassed

LMMFAO Grin

Too fucking funny!!!!

..............................jonny
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 12:57am »

Quote:
I cant think anymore,

You got that fucking right.
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 1:02am »

on Dec 13th, 2003, 10:26pm, Jayne wrote:
Me not having any coffee in the morning would cause me STRESS!!!!

Here, Here!  (said with coffee cup raised in the air!)
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Leesa
New Board Hall of Famer

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 1:35am »

Dave with out his coffee would cause ME stress and HELL NO, got nuff that as it is!  
Leesa, who aint buyin what your sellin  Grin
IP Logged

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." General H. Norman Schwarzkopf Smiley
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 1:59am »

For some reason that I can't yet figure out (LOL) I already avoid most of those things.  I don't eat soy sauce, I'm usually successful in avoiding MSG (at least as successful as you), I don't smoke, I don't eat chocolate, I haven't drank coffee, tea, or alcohol in ages, I don't eat those cheeses, I haven't eaten pickles in a long time, and I absolutely don't eat saurkraut.  Hmmm... colored sodas... today I had a cola for the first time in at least a week.  Stress?  Nah, I'm about to bore myself to death over here, I could use a bit of excitement.

So, by avoiding cola (which contains the beloved caffeine... a vasoconstrictor) my CH will be gone?  How can the effects of that cola be so specific as to wake me up at exactly 4:30am and target a particular nerve around my eye, but no other nerves in my body?   Huh

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 2:42am »

on Dec 14th, 2003, 1:59am, eyes_afire wrote:
...How can the effects of that cola be so specific as to wake me up at exactly 4:30am and target a particular nerve around my eye, but no other nerves in my body?

Have you tried dressing up as chocolate?
IP Logged
Mac
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 7:29am »

Quote:
Im just sensitive by nature. chemical sensitivity, etc.

nuff said.Go away
IP Logged

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office". - Aesop
portfolio http://www.artwanted.com/McDonall
http://www.clusterheadaches.ca
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 7:33am »

Bean:
Until you can come up with solid empirical evidence arrived at with atleast a passing glance at logic, get your silly ass out of here.
Try the basket weaving website or something.
Currently you are just a waste of space and time around here. Frankly you have made my life worse by the agravation of all the drivel you pour forth. Leave, its Sunday and you're a weight my soul doesn't need.

Sorry folks but the dumb m*th*rf**k*r is oopressing my aura.
I shall now go comtemplate my mantra and restore serenity.

TTFN mellow
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss