Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Why???? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Why????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Why????  (Read 809 times)
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

With Him, all things are possible. ><>

Why????
« on: Aug 18th, 2005, 8:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've asked myself that question way too many times.  Has anyone else?

I guess I HAVE to have a reason.  These attacks MUST be happening to achieve an intended purpose.  I don't try to hide my faith in God, but I also don't think I have all the answers.  For those of you who do belive there is a master plan for the universe, how do you think we all fit in?

Part of my answer happened almost 5 years ago.  After 12 hours of labor, and 4 hours of continuous pushing, my wife was rushed into an emergency c-section.  The epidural had long worn off, and they were unable to get it started again before the surgery.  My beautiful wife had surgery without anesthetic.   Cry  All I could do was try to keep her distracted (thank GOD for breathing techniques), and understand.  I knew then what she was going through every time I got hit hard.

My daughter came out fine, and my wife was given an "amnestic" drug, so she remembers nothing.  Wish I'd had one.   Cry  Anyway, things were OK after that.   Smiley

The second part of my answer came after I found this board, and all of you.  Each of you is beautiful, and together, you are all awesome.  Hopefully I have endured this demon so I can help someone else, even a little.

Anyway, I'd be very interested in hearing your stories.  Why are you going through this?  Is there a reason?  I try not to think I'm being punished, but that thought sneaks in more often than I'd like to admit.

God bless you all with lots of PFDAN's.

Namaste,
--Scott
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

"When no one else knows how I feel,
You run to me, with outstretched hands,
and you hold me in your arms.
Again."
--Building 429
gymnasticsmommy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Re: Why????
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 9:28pm »

I am VERY new to these headaches, 3 weeks, and I am finding that I am asking that question every time one hits me.  I don't think there is a why except to test my endurance for something.  Don't know what, but i have been tested a lot in my adult life.  I know that.  Here is my story.
Born and raised in Ca everything fine, etc. etc..  Then when I was 17 a suburban going 100+ mph ended the world I knew!  Serious head trauma, broken back, neck, hip, and other misc bones. After 3 days in a coma, 4 months in the hospital, and a year of  physical therapy, The only major problem was my grand mal seizures due to brain injury. I learned to deal with those okay and go on with my life.  I met and married the love of my life, and had 3 beautifull daughters, which made 7 with my four stepdaughters.  When I was pregnant with my third and last daughter I developed three hernias because she was so big.  That may not sound too bad but the last 2 months of pregnancy they just got bigger and bigger and tore quite a bit of muscles.  I refused to deliver early for her sake and stayed on bedrest and endured the pain.  Untill my appendix broke!  Then I had no choice. I had two surgeries to repair the damage and I have a very healthy and beautifull daughter with no health problems because of my choices.  After some recoup time life was back to normal and then this hits me!  I am a strong person who can deal with a lot but I am very close to giving in!  I know that it is said that God doesn't give you more than you can handle but I think maybe he has me confused with someone else.  I don't feel that I am meant for something special.  The best I can tell, my job is to raise my 7 beautifull daughters and that they are meant for greatness!  So again I say I don't know the answer to why but I am continually looking.  Maybe it is because people who endure this kind of pain can be so empathetic and help others so well.  Look at the members of this board!  You guys help each other so much even if it is just a prayer or well wishings.  To know someone is think of you and understands means more than one can imagine! Before I found this board I could not find anyone who understands.  My boss said "Its just a headache, tough it out and come back to work"  I hope that any of this helps.  I am usually much more optomistic and helpfull but I am at the end of my endurance right now.  Thanks for listening!  Mommy
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 11:20pm »

here's a question......

Why ask Why?

Sooner ya answer that one and get over the "Why" or the "When will it end".......

The sooner ya take your life back and live it!

good luck!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 11:30pm »

Why not? What makes me so special? At least it won't kill me.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 12:32am »

Never asked myself "why me?". Go find a Scleroderma paitent, go see how a Quadrapledgic has to live day in & day out, go to the childs burn unit your local hospital....We don't have it as bad as it could be....

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 7:37am »

I've never asked "Why is this happening to me" in the context that you refer to - as in "what did I do wrong to deserve this punishment".  When I began my very first cycle, I did ask why is this happening in the context of what is wrong with my body?  Have I got a brain tumor?  An aneurism, like my mother?  Am I dying?  Once I found out what I had, I've never asked why about it, it just is.  It's a part of my life now.  Life has given me many, many good things, and many bad things.  I've never asked why I deserved the good things, so why should I question why I deserve the bad things?

Sandy

IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm the heretic that believes that God is all good, but not all powerful. That does a better job of explaining why bad things happen to good people that the intricate doctrine of free will.  

From a more concrete bio-evolutionary standpoint, we are projects in development.  This development occurs through random mutation, some of which advance the species, but most of which are neutral or harmful. And the human mechanism is so complicated that it glitches in some very bizzare ways, including CH.  If you get dealt one set of mutations and life situations (ie, head injury or jaw problems, etc) then the cluster glitch develops.  Another set of genetic cards plus a staph infection may trigger psoriasis.
IP Logged
LadyElaine

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 11:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I don't ask Why me, cause I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I am just Thankful it wasn't my children or my husband who have to endure clusters.  
I do understand the wanting to know what caused them. We figure if we can find what caused them , we can stop them. .  
The one thing I learned from clusters  is You have to do the research on your own. You can not leave it up to your doctor. You have to research everything. Read read read. Then weight the options. Pick what is good for you.  
Its that way with any illness. I research every medication a doctor gives me for anything.  
Your lucky in so many ways. Years ago the only thing doctors knew or thought they knew were, it was a MAN's illness, and o2 helped. Now it is known that it is men and women. Now there are preventive meds and  
meds to abort them. Not only are you lucky in that most doctors know this but you have ch.com and the people here to help. I would say your blessed. Some of us had to go this alone for years, we were under the inpression only a very few people had this. Some of us went for years before we knew what it was. I lost my teeth, given shock treatment. I went through hell on top of clusters. Your really blessed if you look around.

You can't let clusters control you. If you do the cluster wins and you lose.  

PS you have a strong wife. Your very special and strong to see her through that. You will be fine! Wink

IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 11:53am »

count your blessings,
there ARE worse things to have...

http://www.cff.org/home/

Cry

oh, and by the way, you are NOT being punished.
flush that thought right out of your mind.

oh, and GMommy, you sound like quite a trooper!
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2005, 11:56am by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 2:05pm »

I am presently reading "The Problem of Pain" by C.S. Lewis.  It addresses this whole issue from both a Christian and philosophic perspective.  I recommend it highly.
Kim
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 2:46pm »

In contemplation, at the very beginning of this last cycle, I did ask God why. Before the cycle really ramped up, and I was going to go this cycle without any meds, I asked, "God, why must I suffer with cluster headaches?"

Within a few days of asking, I discovered the threads on kudzu that Floridian put up, and the results that Nani was experiencing. I went on to have the easiest, most pain-free and tolerable cycle I've ever had, in the eight years that I've been wrestling with the Beastie.

But, "why me?" No.... I've seen real suffering. I've seen people with limbs blown off, young men paralyzed from the waist down, or from the neck down, and I've seen people horribly burned, and I've seen babies born without limbs, and I've seen parents grieving for the loss of their child. There are far, far worse things in this world than headaches.

Be strong because you ARE strong, and giving in and giving up are simply NOT an option. "This too shall pass."

/Raising right arm, hand in a fist

Inner strength, mental toughness, spiritual victory.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2005, 2:49pm by Jeepgun » IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 7:38pm »

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.  I appreciate your taking the time to reply.  However, I think many of you may have misunderstood my post.

Sorry if my post sounded like a whine of self pity.  I suppose it could easily sound that way.  That was not my intention at all.  I have a wonderful life, and have been blessed far beyond what I deserve.  Am I special?  Hell, no.  I do have my moments of depression, but I don't think that should be surprising or considered abnormal for anyone here.  Why else would we need a support group?

I am a thinker.  I am always asking "why" about everything.  I can't shut that part of my brain off, and I don't think it is a bad thing.  I feel that there are reasons for everything, good and bad.  I think we are artists, police, grocers, whatever, for a reason.  It is also one of the ways in which I have successfully coped with stressful situations, including these headaches.  I was curious to see how others cope.  We all have to cope.  I've had to find ways to cope for 18 years without any clue what was going on.

I am just wanting to see how others try to put a positive spin on something which doesn't seem so positive.  Believe me, I've seen people suffer as well.  I work with them every day.  I try to help them make the most of what they've been given.  You know what?  Many of them want to know why, too.  I thank God every day for my health, family, and friends.  I would never put myself on par with them.  Trade my headaches for a stroke?  Bilateral arm and leg amputations?  Cancer?  Clusters are bad, but not that bad.  I've seen first-hand how those things can affect your life.  About the suggestions of where to go to see people who are suffering, I've got one, too:  Try going into a burn center.  I worked in one for two years.  You will never, ever see suffering like that, anywhere else.  Me?  I just need some space and a couple tools to help myself from time to time.  I am very, very lucky.

Anyway, sorry if I've offended anyone here.  That was not my intention.  I'd just like to know what goes through your minds, and how you deal with this.

Namaste,
--Scott
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:25pm by Salvelinus » IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

Again."
--Building 429
yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 8:05pm »

Smiley

I try to stay positive,
but everyone has their bad days too.

I guess that knowing it will let up helps me hang in  
and the frustration factor helps me fight to enjoy every
pain free moment I do get.

we really are lucky.
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 9:52pm »

Hi Scott,

Don't worry, no offense taken here.

Quote:
I am just wanting to see how others try to put a positive spin on something which doesn't seem so positive.

I understand what you're getting at, but I have to be blunt...

My opinion:  CH sucks.  They are inherently negative... there's NOTHING positive about them.  They are brain malfunctions with no philosophical reason for being.  And I can't be convinced otherwise.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:07pm »

on Aug 19th, 2005, 2:46pm, Frank_W wrote:
In contemplation, at the very beginning of this last cycle, I did ask God why. Before the cycle really ramped up, and I was going to go this cycle without any meds, I asked, "God, why must I suffer with cluster headaches?"

Within a few days of asking, I discovered the threads on kudzu that Floridian put up, and the results that Nani was experiencing. I went on to have the easiest, most pain-free and tolerable cycle I've ever had, in the eight years that I've been wrestling with the Beastie.

But, "why me?" No.... I've seen real suffering. I've seen people with limbs blown off, young men paralyzed from the waist down, or from the neck down, and I've seen people horribly burned, and I've seen babies born without limbs, and I've seen parents grieving for the loss of their child. There are far, far worse things in this world than headaches.

Be strong because you ARE strong, and giving in and giving up are simply NOT an option. "This too shall pass."

/Raising right arm, hand in a fist

Inner strength, mental toughness, spiritual victory.

I read the begining of this thred and was going to respond, but Frank, you did a great job.. right here...  

Thank You
PFDAN's To ALL !!!
Charlie me&mb
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:32pm »

Floridian--cool.  I see where you are coming from.  I won't get into a theological discussion here, but my view is similar to yours, though from a slightly different motivation.  Something like, "This is the way things are because that is how I chose the world to be."
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

Again."
--Building 429
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:35pm »

on Aug 19th, 2005, 11:53am, vig wrote:
oh, and by the way, you are NOT being punished.
flush that thought right out of your mind.

I do realize that, but I admit it comes into mind in the midst of the battle.

on Aug 19th, 2005, 11:53am, vig wrote:

oh, and GMommy, you sound like quite a trooper!

Amen to that!
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

Again."
--Building 429
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:37pm »

Kimmeesue, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check it out.   Smiley
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

Again."
--Building 429
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:45pm »

on Aug 19th, 2005, 11:16am, LadyElaine wrote:
You can't let clusters control you. If you do the cluster wins and you lose.

I remember saying something very similar once to a therapist who suggested that I stop some of my more active hobbies if they were giving me headaches.

on Aug 19th, 2005, 11:16am, LadyElaine wrote:
PS you have a strong wife. Your very special and strong to see her through that. You will be fine! Wink

You bet she is.  I don't know how she deals with my clusters day in and day out.  I always try to get up in the night as quietly as possible so she doesn't have to see those.  About me, thank you, but she's the strong one.   Smiley
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

Again."
--Building 429
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:48pm »

on Aug 19th, 2005, 10:07pm, jcmquix wrote:
I read the begining of this thred and was going to respond, but Frank, you did a great job.. right here...  

Thank You
PFDAN's To ALL !!!
Charlie me&mb

I agree . . .  Smiley
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

Again."
--Building 429
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:56pm »

yikes-another-one:  You bet.  That is probably the biggest thing that gets me through an attack--I know it will end.  I didn't always know that, and remember panicking at times as it hit 9 or 10.  The single best thing that being diagnosed did for me was to calm me down during an attack.  I finally knew that it didn't matter whether I rubbed my head just right, or did something wrong.  I was going to have pain, no matter what, and it would end in a while.

PS:  thanks for the PM!  Smiley
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

Again."
--Building 429
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 11:01pm »

eyes_afire:  I've felt that way many times, but it didn't help me deal with it any better.  Wonder if it has anything to do with positive thinking and endorphin release or reduction of tension or something?  Whatever the reason, I try to stay as positive as possible now, and don't panic nearly as often now.

To everyone I haven't directly responded to, thanks again for sharing your thoughts.   Smiley
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

Again."
--Building 429
IamAngel
New Board Newbie
USA 

People are like a box of chocolates~~Han nibal

« Reply #22 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 11:04pm »

I went fishing last weekend with Hubby, 3 of my 4 kiddos, and 3 other family members. We were out on a boat at midnight when a CH hit me...by the time it finally went away I was so angry. Angry that this horrible monster was taking my time away from my family. I was asking the same question... WHY??
After giving it some thought, I was thankful that CH's were the only thing "wrong" with me....and thankful I was able to get on that boat when theres so many handicapped people out there who wish they could go for a boat ride. I still get angry but I see things a little differently now. Wink
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #23 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 5:52pm »

Ok, my dad married 3 times and had 2 children with cerebral palsy, one with heart problems, one with diabetes, one with epelepsy and one with Ch.  We are 8 children and I am the eldest and I have the CH but he also has it.

So WHY?  Just because.  I am the lucky one!  Things happen in life, there is no guarantee and no reason.  Just like all things in life, you cannot guarantee how long everyone will live and there's no reason for it, who's gonna love you for how long or a reason, if life is always gonna be fair or a reason if it's not...etc, etc.

I rather ask myself why I am here.  I still don't have a coocken clue! Roll Eyes

But that's life and just sometimes I'm glad to be part of the mystery, the rest of the time I want to know how, where, when, what and who!

That's just me and I don't think any god comes into this equation.  That would just be insulting! Wink
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #24 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 9:10pm »

Angel and Jasmyn, thanks for your replies.  IamAngel, hang in there.  Enjoy the good times you do have.  Jasmyn, that is one bad string of luck your family had.  I can't say I'm sure why you say bringing God into this would be insulting, but I think I know what you're getting at.  I just have a view that everything happens according to a plan, and that we are not privvy to that info.

I see that, at least for those who replied, the majority just accepts that CH happens.  I'm glad that point of view works for you, and I can see how it could help reduce some anxiety.  I must say that in the beginning I felt the same way, but as time went on and I wasn't getting any better (I didn't fully comprehend what CH was until a few weeks ago), I decided that there must be SOME reason I was having this pain that no one could help me with.  I think that most of the people I had seen thought it was all in my head, anyway (pun intended).

Thank you all so much for your responses.  I will think about what each of you has said.

Namaste,
--Scott
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

Again."
--Building 429
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss