Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 12:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Its time to start drilling in ANWAR! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Its time to start drilling in ANWAR!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Its time to start drilling in ANWAR!  (Read 5899 times)
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Its time to start drilling in ANWAR!
« on: May 6th, 2008, 9:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Broke Americans Can't Afford Gasoline  
The price of oil broke a new record this morning--in dollar terms, that is. Oil is now the most expensive it's ever been--for Americans, that is. You see the dollar is barely worth anything against the ruble anymore, so we don't feel this supposed price rise here in Russia. Quite the opposite, Russia, which is the world's largest producer of oil, is only getting richer off of fat Americans who drive SUVs.

America is helpless to stop its slide into irrelevancy. It cannot control or bully oil-rich countries like Russia and OPEC. It has no choice but to bend over and pay what we make them pay. It has no control over its own economy anymore, as the Daily Telegraph writes:

The verdict is in. The Fed's emergency rate cuts in January have failed to halt the downward spiral towards a full-blown debt deflation. Much more drastic action will be needed.

The debt markets are freezing ever deeper, a full eight months into the crunch. Contagion is spreading into the safest pockets of the US credit universe.

"I never thought I would see anything like this in my life," said James Steele, an HSBC economist in New York."

That last whining bitch made me laugh out loud at my office desk. Poor James Steele, poor America! I'm trying to remember how much Americans pitied Russia after the financial crisis in August 1998. What I remember was a lot of editorialists and think-tank analysts saying it was all Russia's fault. I remember them saying that since Russia was starting to turn away from disastrous IMF free market economics, that the West should cut off all aid and teach Russia a lesson, even if it meant Russians would starve to death.

I think about that, and then I have a good deep satisfying laugh when I read a story like this, about poor American losers who now have to rob just to buy gas money. That is, they have to steal to make enough money to buy what Russia produces, because poor Americans, with their shitty dollar, cannot afford our oil:

"An Orlando tourist was robbed at gunpoint early Monday by several men who said they committed the crime for gas money, according to police."

You stupid dumbshit Americans are now like a bunch of drug bums who have to steal to buy what we Russians sell. Ha ha, fuck you all, you fat stupid dumbshits. I enjoy watching you beg for our oil. Maybe now you will be forced to get out of your fucking SUVs and walk and so you'll finally lose some of that ugly fat on your bodies. In this way, Russia is doing you a favor! (But not as much of a favor as you dumbshits do for Russia by making us richer every day!)

Spasibo amerikosam! It has never been so easy for a country to get rich so quickly as we have off of you, gullible American losers! Thank you for making my day, as I celebrate the victory of Dmitry Medvedev, no matter what you say.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=50e_1210111727

We can either drill and build refineries or we can fold at the hands of these bastards!

I say drill on our own land......Why the fuck not?

What say you?
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

Re: Its time to start drilling in ANWAR!
« Reply #1 on: May 6th, 2008, 10:13pm »

We seem to have quite a big reserve here in Canada, here is the story on it.
http://www.rense.com/general37/petrol.htm

We know that no-matter what happens, our pump prices will be as high as we have ever seen, today we are at $1.21 liter, all time high. Angry
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: May 6th, 2008, 10:15pm »

Anything's better than turning corn into pseudo-gasoline.

I'm going to send my next carburator repair bill to the EPA. If they don't pay it, I'm sending it to the Wisconsin state legislature.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 6th, 2008, 10:18pm »

Man, we are fucked if we dont start tapping our own!

Pain free night to you all.....Nite!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #4 on: May 6th, 2008, 10:40pm »

You know, that foul language you quoted in your post is actually more reminiscent of some of the language I sometimes read right here on good ol' CH.com, but I suppose we don't have a corner on looking ignorant from how we use language.  At any rate, here is a current list of the nations from which we import our oil, and Russia is a distant 15th on the list.  And many thanks to Canada for doing business with us. Wink

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_l evel_imports/current/import.html
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2008, 10:51pm by pattik » IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 6th, 2008, 10:49pm »

on May 6th, 2008, 10:18pm, Jonny wrote:

Pain free night to you all.....Nite!

Back at you Bro!
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 6th, 2008, 11:03pm »

Personally, I would prefer to not drill in ANWAR and use the money to research a new fuel source.  
Fixing the problem is always more beneficial than going in debt to buy bandaids.

We need to make oil as obsolete as the commodore 64.
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: May 6th, 2008, 11:17pm »

on May 6th, 2008, 11:03pm, BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote:
Personally, I would prefer to not drill in ANWAR and use the money to research a new fuel source.  
Fixing the problem is always more beneficial than going in debt to buy bandaids.

We need to make oil as obsolete as the commodore 64.  

Oil will become obsolete when it's gone.
IP Logged

Argonaut
New Board Newbie
Australia 

The guitar fiend.

« Reply #8 on: May 6th, 2008, 11:46pm »

I agree with BMonee - the rising fuel prices should be a push for alternative [and cleaner] energy sources, rather than tapping into more oil reserves. It is also a call to explore other methods of transportation and change our perspectives on energy usage.  

Oil is a finite resource, and the longer we are dependent on it, the harder we will be hit when it is depleted.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2008, 11:46pm by Argonaut » IP Logged

Hic sunt dracones.

"A poet is not an apostle; he drives out devils only by the power of the devil."
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: May 7th, 2008, 12:11am »

on May 6th, 2008, 10:40pm, pattik wrote:
You know, that foul language you quoted in your post is actually more reminiscent of some of the language I sometimes read right here on good ol' CH.com, but I suppose we don't have a corner on looking ignorant from how we use language.

bigtiny finger Kiss
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #10 on: May 7th, 2008, 1:41am »

on May 6th, 2008, 10:15pm, Brew wrote:
Anything's better than turning corn into pseudo-gasoline.

I'm going to send my next carburator repair bill to the EPA. If they don't pay it, I'm sending it to the Wisconsin state legislature.

Works for me. Ethanol ain't gonna work the way it's promoted. Brazil does it better with sugar. I'm not sure we can go there either.  The bright spot may be that just maybe along the way something else will pop up from all the research.  It costs way too much to produce.  

It's time for big oil and wherever cars are made to let loose with research that they don't really want to use.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: May 7th, 2008, 5:26am »

And oil companies are still posting record profits.. and governments are still putting shocking sales tax on it and it seems everyone is laughing all the way to the bank except those who have to choose.. Do I buy food to eat or do I put petrol in the car to go shopping?
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #12 on: May 7th, 2008, 7:30am »

on May 6th, 2008, 11:46pm, Argonaut wrote:
Oil is a finite resource, and the longer we are dependent on it, the harder we will be hit when it is depleted.

No, we should use it up. We'll get to the time when your alternative energy source is needed much faster.

Drag out our use of it and it'll be much longer before alternative fuels are developed.
IP Logged

jimmers
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hello GOD! The gene pool needs some chlorine!

« Reply #13 on: May 7th, 2008, 8:38am »

on May 7th, 2008, 7:30am, Brew wrote:

No, we should use it up. We'll get to the time when your alternative energy source is needed much faster.

Drag out our use of it and it'll be much longer before alternative fuels are developed.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!1
IP Logged

I don't suffer from INSANITY; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #14 on: May 7th, 2008, 9:31am »

Drilling in the ANWR?  

To get the oil that is extracted from point "A" to point "B", you need a pipeline.

Might be nice if an industry that's pig-wallowing in record profits could be bothered to maintain the pipeline upon which the whole thing depends:
  www.jpo.doi.gov/Publications/CMPs/CMP6/CMP_6.pdf  

(As the pdf above indicates, it's not a new problem.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/pipeline-crisis-could-ha lve-flow-of-oil-412898.html

Let's ask if they've bothered to patch up the pipe first, eh?

Best,

George

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Paul98
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What, it's all in my head?

« Reply #15 on: May 7th, 2008, 9:46am »

I agree with BMonee - the rising fuel prices should be a push for alternative [and cleaner] energy sources, rather than tapping into more oil reserves. It is also a call to explore other methods of transportation and change our perspectives on energy usage.  

What alternatives?  Hydro?  Solar? wind? biofuel?  nuclear?  each and every one has an environmental group lobying to prevent it!  Look at Fat Boy Ted...No windmills of his horizon.  Just what do you do?  EtOH is one of the biggest fools gold ploys fed to the public in the 21st century and it was the environmentalists, Sen. Tommy Dashel and clinton that started bulldozing that road.

Cannada, the Gulf of Mexico and the Bakken Formation in ND would make oil imports from the middle East look like a fart in a wind storm.  Until the politicians stand up to the environmental lobbys we are going to see ever increasing prices at the pump and the grocery store.  Perhaps when the pols cant afford a loaf of bread they will actually take meaningful steps to do something about it.

-P.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/pjl98
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #16 on: May 7th, 2008, 11:00am »

Along the lines of what Paul mentions, business factors aside, there's no shortage of fossil fuels within the Earth.  Whatever affect their continued use has upon our lifestyles and environment will be compounded increasingly long before they run out.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2008, 1:24pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #17 on: May 7th, 2008, 11:30am »

We probably should start looking at drilling in Anwar. But it is not going to preserve our current way of life.  If we could get it all at once, it would last about three months. But we cant, it will be a small amount of oil each day spread out over 30 or 50 years.  We will still pay whatever price for that oil that the world market dictates - Anwar won't lower the market price noticeably.  Anwar is the last big known oil deposit on US soil that isn't tapped - maybe offshore will yield more, but the easy pickins have mostly been picked.  

The oil people like to point out how little impact drilling has today with modern methods.  But a few decades ago, that was not the case. I have been on farms with oil wells, and the salts released from pumping scorched the land.  So waiting this long has been good.  The oil is also worth alot more today than it was when it was discovered.  

Also, there is a $4 billion expansion gearing up at a St. Louis refinery that will make it one of the largest refineries in the world, I think they start construction in a month or two.  They will mostly be processing oil from Canada.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2008, 11:43am by monty » IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #18 on: May 7th, 2008, 11:47am »

How about we drill omar instead?
We should raise the price of the food we send them the same as they raise the price of oil. Like them keep our cost down and raise theirs. Saudi citizens pay approx .49 cents a gallon. lets charge the 150.00 for a bushell of corn, potatos, beans, wheat,ect...
fair is fair! no more free money to the other countries either, they all need to pay back now.

Mike

Goat Attack!
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #19 on: May 7th, 2008, 1:47pm »

the only thing pissing me of more than gas prices are clusterheadaches.  But any way, this country is falling apart.  There is less disposable income in a 2 income house hold today then there was in a single income house hold 30 years ago.  ALL companies and industries took advantage of women going into the work place, in my opinion.  And no Ladies, I am not blaming you for high gas prices!!!  But I do blame my wiife for high cell phone bills.  That thing is going down the garbage disposal one of these days.  Man, I just completely wandered off the topic.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #20 on: May 7th, 2008, 2:02pm »

on May 7th, 2008, 1:47pm, kevmd wrote:
Man, I just completely wandered off the topic.

In spades, dude. In spades. Grin
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #21 on: May 7th, 2008, 2:18pm »

okay, I'm going to say something positive here.................................................................... ... 4 day work week.
Very nice opportunity to cut back on fuel use in our country.

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #22 on: May 7th, 2008, 2:18pm »

on May 7th, 2008, 7:30am, Brew wrote:

In a way, I agree with Brew here.  It's not just the US, but the entire world is dependent on a finite source.  Drilling for more oil, anywhere, will not solve the ultimate problem.  This world will run out of oil.  Once the world realizes that, alternatives will be found, and will be found very quickly.

We, the US, as well as every other country in the world need to start focusing on finding alternative fuel sources (ethanol not being one of them, right Brew  Roll Eyes

As to Jonny's original post of comments from Russia...
In all honesty, that Russian is somewhat right.  The US citizens are bloated in our use of finite fuel sources.  

How many other countries in the world has as many SUVs on their roads as we do?    Don't get me wrong, I own one, but I've realized that my comfort and enjoyment of having an SUV is costing me greatly in gas consumption, and is contributing to the US, and the world's depletion of a finite fuel source.  Do I want to keep my SUV?  Nope.

Right now finding new fuel sources, mandating cars with better mileage and less pollution is a worldwide priority, and the US has to step up to the plate. Mandate manufacturing factories find new sources of fuel that don't have provide and cleaner fuel sources.

We have been spoiled.  It's time for us to wake up and grow up and start now!

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #23 on: May 7th, 2008, 2:23pm »

on May 7th, 2008, 2:18pm, Sandy_C wrote:
(ethanol not being one of them, right Brew  Roll Eyes

You said a mouthful, birthday girl!
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #24 on: May 7th, 2008, 6:51pm »

How much oil is in Anwr anyway?  

No matter what we do about oil and all the fun stuff that goes with it, it's time to get serious about stuff like electric cars.........no not those but the ones that GM leased but wouldn't sell to all the Hollywood types that tried them. GM refused millions in offers for them. Nope. They spent months recovering them and tried to secretly crush them. They did crush them of course. They did a bang up job of keeping its very existence low key. It was way too successful. Such sweet guys.

Charlie
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2008, 6:52pm by Charlie » IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  5 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss