Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 1:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Kudzu Survey - First Week »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Kudzu Survey - First Week
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kudzu Survey - First Week  (Read 22813 times)
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

Re: Kudzu Survey - First Week
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ok here it goes....

1) Your Age 33

2) Your Gender Female

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Chronic, I guess. 21 months no remission. Longest was 9 Days in a row.  

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 21 months

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? n/a

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? n/a

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? 21 months

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? Natures Way Kudzu Root 613 mg tablets

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? one 613 mg tab 2 times a day

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Yes after 4 days, but after I uped the dose to one 613 tab 4 times a day on day 2. At the recomendation of another Clusterhead.    

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 5- still playing with the dose, so find what is most effective.  Still getting at least one really bad HA at night.  Usually end up taking a trex shot still, but only 1 a day for the most part.

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.    
Trex shots (take 1/3 to 1/2 shot when needed)
Melatonin - 6mg at night
Biaxin (for upper respitory infection - 1 week treatement off it now)
Mucinex DM (for upper respitory infection - 1 week treatement off it now)
Lortab - 5 mg 4 times a day - as needed for Back
Soma - 350 mg 2 times a day - as needed for back

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  If I take 2 tabs at the same time I got light headed.  I doubled up a dose when I forgot to take it and did not like that side effect.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  2

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??    
The gal that I bought the Kudzu from said that there is a way for it to be more effective, if you can find it.  She said to take the tablets regularly as a preventative, but if you have the drops, then at the onset of a headache and put 4 drops under your tongue and let it absorb sublingualy (sorry if spelled wrong) that it will act as a abortive. I have not found the drops, but it might be something that people look into.

IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
sundancer
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #26 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 9:19pm »

1) Your Age
2) Your Gender
 Female
3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?
  Episodic
4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?
5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?
    one per year in July, 8 weeks
6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?
     3 weeks
7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?
     Solaray
9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?
 one in the a.m., one in the p.m.
10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?
   5 days
11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  
12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?
13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).
14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  
 neurontin, disalcid, magnesium, vit e, calcium,
  coQ10, melatonin, prevacid, allegra, astelin,
   fish oil, multi vitamin
15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  
    no
16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  
16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  
    Still keeping the O2 handy, just in case!
IP Logged
beasley
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #27 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 11:20am »

1) Your Age  
2) Your Gender  
 Male  
 Chronic
5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?  
    NA
     NA
Cool What brand of kudzu do you use?  
     Natures Way Kudzu Root
    2 613 mg tablets 3x day
10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  
   No  
11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).    
12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  
13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  
Verapamil 240mg 2x Day
Lithuim
No
16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  
17) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??    
IP Logged
MarnyandMichael
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #28 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 11:17pm »

Am filling this our for my fiance who is a chronic sufferer...

2) Your Gender-41

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 17 years

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? N/A

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? N/A

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?  2 years

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? Nature's Way  

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?  3 doses of 613 mg

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  Yes - about 2 full days after starting

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  6 - Back to episodic...maybe twice a week compared to every day for weeks on end

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   9

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Imitrex, Melatonin. Tylenol Extra Strength

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  No side effects

IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Apr 3rd, 2005, 4:14pm »

on Feb 28th, 2005, 9:07pm, floridian wrote:

1) Your Age - 54

2) Your Gender - Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? - Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? - 34

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? - 1 cycle / 3 years; any time; 6 to 15 weeks

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? - 2 weeks

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? - Solaray

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? - 3 tabs / day; kudzu root-165mg/tab; kudzu extract-150mg/tab; 2%daidzin

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Yes; 1st day

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  8

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?7

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  0

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Multi-vitamin; B-complex; 250mg magnesium; 1/2 asprin; amitriptyline; verapamil; cafergot; O2

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  Fart city!

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  0

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  Not sure if this is just a strange (mild) cycle or the kudzu is working.  Too chicken to give up feeling ok to test if kudzu is working by stopping taking it.

IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 10:30am »

Well here it goes.  I am not sure, I started out taking to much to fast so then decreased to 1 twice a day then 2 at night since that is when I get hit.  The last two days I am taking two each time.  At my usual hours I get hit with a kip 3-4 lasting 15-30 min. but no O2 or Imitrex needed.  If it stays this way or improves I can deal with it.  

Will keep you all posted.
Kim Smiley
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 12:01am »

1) Your Age 29

2) Your Gender F

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 1

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? April to Aug 04, Nov.-now

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? 4 1/2 months

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? NA

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? Kudzu recovery

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 2200

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Less small shadows more kip 3-4 till tonight at a kip 8

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 8  

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 7

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   Imitrex, melatonin and Kudzu

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  Lightheaded at first but had also tried Indocine at the same time.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).9  

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??I just think I need to give it more time.
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
LadyLuv
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #32 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 5:26pm »

Your Age  57

2) Your Gender  Female

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  Chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 31

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? approximately  10 years

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use?  Nature's Way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 300mg 3xper day

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?   I have notice a change - I've been taking Kudzu for approximately 2 weeks and during that time I have shadows several times but not peak since the first three days of starting the kudzu regiment.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   9

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  7.5

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   9

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Verapermil (spelling ?)

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  I have become very gassie...

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  5

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  I just came off a month regiment of prenisone  (I was in the hospital with pneumonia), so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my lack headaches or not.

IP Logged

http://i5.tinypic.com/20s7l1l.jpg [/img ]
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #33 on: Apr 21st, 2005, 5:46pm »

1) Your Age  

2) Your Gender  

Female

Chronic

1 yr, 5 mos

N/A

N/A

1 yr, 5 mos

Nature's Way Kudzu Root 613mg per capsule

one capsule the first day, then two the next day

Yes...by the 4th day

daily: One a day women's multivitamin, verapamil, nexium, concerta, klonopin, and i was taking levaquin
prn: O2 for cluster; amerge and ultracet on occasion for daily migraine

Yup....massive hemorrhagic nosebleed that required surgery

After being in the hospital and having the surgery to stop the bleeding, several docs, nurses, and pharmacists were trying to gather info about why I would have bled like that.  They felt it was related to the vasodilator properties of Kudzu.  Perhaps this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't already been on verapamil (was only taking 240 mg a day at the time though...very low dose)...but I couldn't say.
IP Logged

Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #34 on: Apr 25th, 2005, 6:40pm »

1) Your Age - 51 Yrs

2) Your Gender - Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? - Chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? - 8 years

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? - N/A

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?  N/A

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? - 8 Years

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? - Solaray

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? - (3) x 150mg  

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  - No

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).    - 10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  - 0

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  - 10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   - 540mg Verapamil, 750mg Magnesium, Amerge as required

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  - No

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).   - 0

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??   I ramped up to (15) capsules with no result of any kind.  
-  No benefit, no side effects, no imapct of any kind.

IP Logged
dwaters118
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #35 on: Apr 29th, 2005, 9:40pm »

1) Your Age   37

2) Your Gender   37

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?   Episodic (please God -- I just started having CH in March)

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?   This is my first cycle

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?   see #4

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?   5 weeks

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?   NA (I hope)

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?   First purchase was: NATURES HERBS POWER HERBS KUDZU POWER, but now I have NATURE'S WAY Kudzu Root Extract.

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?   2 tablets/ 3 times a day - 2mg daidzin/dose

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?   yes -- about 36 housr after first dose, HAs began getting milder and feeling muffled, like noise through a pillow

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).    10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?   10

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   8

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.    Verapamil, Topamax, Imitrex, multi-vitamin, Prilosec (acid reflux)

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?   mild tingling in feet (I think that is from change in Topamax dose though)

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).   1

IP Logged
wetdogtwo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #36 on: May 25th, 2005, 10:44am »

1) Your Age 36

2) Your Gender M

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? E

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 15

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? 1 cycle per 18 months or so, spring and fall, 4-6 weeks.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? 1

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? n/a

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? Nature's Herbs Kudzu-Power  

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 3x550 mg capsules (each contains 100 mg kudzu root extract concentrated for a minimum of 1 mg Daidzin)

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Yes, by second day.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 7

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 8

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  None now.  But did psilocybin treatment a few days prior, as well as melatonin and pepper spray.  Stopped all treatments when kudzu proved to be effective.  Did one Imitrex shot last week.  

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  When I get a headache, I get a little sleepy.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  2

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add?  So far has not stopped the cycle, but no huge flare-ups.  I have been able to sleep through the night finally.  I still get shadows.  A couple alcoholic drinks have induced extremely manageable 4k headaches.  Gone is the dread of the monster.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2005, 10:44am by wetdogtwo » IP Logged
lochwren
New Board Newbie
USA 

It's a free concert from now on!

« Reply #37 on: Jul 3rd, 2005, 12:40am »

1st time poster; long time sufferer.  I've waited two weeks to see the results of taking Kudzu.  Extract follows:
  Cyclic CH's.  Springtime, this year going on 3 months.
4 to 6 a day; K7 thru K9s in the evening and waking up at 2am.  3, 4, or 5s during the day.  Use Imitrex, but at $20/tab, use it sparingly.  1/2 tabs whenever possible; make nasal spray to extend the prescription.  2 weeks ago today took first of the Kudzu capsules.  !!!!  Within one hour it was just a shadow, then a 'shadow of a shadow', if that makes any sense.  It has been going on like that for a solid two weeks now and I am overwhelmed with joy.  K2 is the worst I've been hit since I started, no 2am wakeups, no pacing, no yelling,   [color=Red][/color]no pain.  Below is info for survey:
1) Your Age  
2) Your Gender  
    Male
    Episodic
    18+
    1 cycle/yr; spring; 2 - 3 months
 n/a
 Solaray
 2 caps in am; 2 caps in pm
 Yes; 1 hour
  Imitrex
  None
 n/a

Seems to be as effective as 'trex, but acts as a preventive rather than a abortive.
IP Logged

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." Napoleon
Leggs
New Board Veteran
USA 

Live to learn, die & forget it all - Milo Puckett

« Reply #38 on: Jul 7th, 2005, 8:12pm »

1) Your Age - 42

2) Your Gender - F

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? - Episodic

2 per year
February
July
2 weeks at the most true clusters, then shadows

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? 2nd day

N/A
8) What brand of kudzu do you use?
Solaray
150mg root extract/165
1 at bedtime, one in the morning

Withing 30 minutes

10-I actually had a tingling feeling in my head instead of pain 

Day before went cold turkey from excedring & advil
multivitamin
flaxseed oil
glucosamine-chondroitin
garlic oil
grapeseed extract
calcium
spirulena soy protein shake in morning 

Gasey the first few days, but odorless  (Lucky for my family)

The morning/middle of the night after taking, I had a terrible headache, and the next day, I had one of the top three kip 10 screaming drooling headaches I have ever had, but I STILL took the kudzu, I wanted to stick it out a week.  I added a dose that morning when I woke up at 3am, and then did the twice a day since.  I don't think that had anything to do with kudzu, I think it was rebounding from going cold turkey on excedrin and advil. If I had not stuck it out through that hard time and said "This $hit is not working," I wouldn't be experiencing this pain free week.  This is the first pain free July I have had in years.  

Give it a try, but stick it out the week if there's no immediate result!
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:07pm by Leggs » IP Logged

Some people have one of those days,
I Have One Of Those Lives, And I Love It
ihootlaili
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #39 on: Jul 8th, 2005, 9:19am »

on Jul 7th, 2005, 8:12pm, Leggs wrote:

I'm sort of hoping you didn't mean that...
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
JohnWF
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #40 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 9:53pm »

1) Your Age  48

2) Your Gender:  Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?  28

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? 1, anytime, 6 months

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?  2 weeks

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? N/A

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? Planetary Formulas

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?  1500 mg 3 times each day

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Yes, within 2 hours.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  8

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  7

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Currently, Ergotomine, Cafergot, 9 mg. Melatonin, Multi B Vit., B-12 and B-2 Supplements, 1000 mg. Vit. C, 250 mg. Magnesium, and one regular aspirin each day.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? Sometimes, a bit of an upset stomach-- depending on how time conscious I am taking pills.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  1

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  I started taking the Ergotomine after the Kudzu was not giving me the relief I needed.  At about the 4 week point.  I continue to take the Kudzu because I think it offers some help; but I am not as sure as I was earlier in my cycle.  It could be that the Kudzu, for me, worked better when my cycle was not as intense as it is now.  Possibly, as the cycle winds down, I can rely on just the Kudzu-- as I did in the beginning.

I appreciate this support group-- thank you!

IP Logged
K-MAN
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #41 on: Jul 15th, 2005, 11:58pm »

1) Your Age  

2) Your Gender  
Male  

Episodic  

20 years

2 cycles/year, 6 weeks each  

started kudzu 2nd week  

Bought dried kudzu root from a Chinese acupuncturist  

It comes in 1-inch squares of dried root.  Boiled 6 squares at a time, made tea and drank it.  According to the oriental doctor, one pound of dried root should last 12 days.  

Noticed an improvement on the 2nd day.

Taking 1000mg of L-Glutamine and 500mg of L-Tyrosine twice a day.  

I feel a little lightheaded for a few minutes, but nothing really to speak of.  If I don't eat something when I take it, my stomach will be upset.  Otherwise, no problem.

This treatment is a godsend!  It's cheap ($8/pound for dried root), it's easy, and it's plentiful in Texas.  I've been taking the kudzu for 4 weeks now, and this is the easiest cluster cycle I've ever had.  I get hit with an occasional attack, but the severity has been a 3-4 rather than the mind-blowing 9 or 10.  Three weeks into my cycle, and I'm usually getting hit 3 times a day.  This time I've had only six minor attacks in a whole month.  Not ideal, but VERY manageable.

I've noticed that I'm less prone to have the attacks when I take the amino acids L-Glutamine and L-Tyrosine right before bedtime.  I read about these amino acids in a phytotherapy book.  Also, I've discovered after 20 years of clusters that boosting my blood sugar very rapidly seems to minimize an attack when I get one.  5 tablespoons of honey and 2 Cokes put a major dent in it, if not shut it down completely.  

Good luck with the kudzu.  I'm a believer.

IP Logged
Linda416
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #42 on: Jul 24th, 2005, 10:02pm »

1) Your Age - 38

2) Your Gender - Female

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?  25

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?  Normally once a year during the spring for 6-8 wks.  The last 3 years Fall for 6-8wks and this year summer so far 7 wks

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? 5wks

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? Nature's Way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?  6 - 613mg tabs  2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, 2 at night

Yes, the same day I started taking it.

None

Since I've been taking Kudzu my day hits have stopped completely, I get a feeling like a hit is coming once in a while, but it doesn't come.  I still get night hits, but they are between a KIP 2-6 and much more managable than they used to be.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2005, 10:08pm by Linda416 » IP Logged
ckelly181
New Board Old Timer
USA 

To err is human; To forgive, canine.

Email

« Reply #43 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 8:15am »

1) Your Age 42

2) Your Gender Female

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 26

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? Usually get a cycle every 1.5 - 2 years. Spring or late summer/early fall. Cycles last about 2 months.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? Right away at first sign of new cycle.

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? Nature's Way Kudzu Root

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? Took 2 613 mg. pills and had heavy shadows the first night. Now I take 3 pills a day - each with a meal. Am considering adding a 4th right before bed.

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? It seemed to have an effect the second day - I only took 2 pills the first day and had heavy shadows that night, but no break through.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  7

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 9

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 9

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Just 02 - have imitrex, but have not used it yet.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? First 2 days, had some constipation.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). 1

Started kudzu at the first sign of my cycle and have not had any breakthrough headaches as yet - usually have shadows at all times during my cycle, and have had virtually no shadows at all.

IP Logged

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
epic2002
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #44 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 11:41am »

1) Your Age   42

2) Your Gender     M

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?   Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?  17

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?  2X per yr, (fall/winter, spring) some yrs no cycle.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? four

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?  n/a

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 613mg x 2, three times a day

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  yes

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  10

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  8

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   multi-vit, vit 'C', aspirin, ibuprofen

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? light-headed after very first two-pill dose.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). 1

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  CH stopped within 24 hrs of taking zu. in days immediately prior, CH's had dropped off from 2-3 hits a day to once per day,  so there is a chance cycle was already ending on its own. after starting zu, zero headaches, light shadows for a week, then PF. tapered off zu after two pain free, shadow free weeks.

[/quote]
IP Logged
Jeremy365
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #45 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 1:17am »

1) Your Age   33

2) Your Gender     M

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?   Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?  12

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?  1 per yr, fall or spring, 3-4 weeks in length.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? 1.5

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?  n/a

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 613mg x 2, 3 x a day

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Yes, one 15 minute long minor headache approx 24 hrs after upping my dosage, none since.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  10

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  7

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   5-HTP, Melatonin, Exedrin, B-12.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  None.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). 0

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  I started out at 1 613mg 2x a day, but wasn't effective after 1 week.  Switched to 2 613mg, 3x a day, PF in 48 hrs.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2005, 8:46pm by Jeremy365 » IP Logged
Jeremy365
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #46 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 1:41pm »

Thanks Frank I will give it a shot.

Now that I think about it, I have noticed less shadowing than when I wasn't taking the Kudzu.  
Usually when "in cycle" I know they're with me the whole time, I can feel them lurking, but since starting the Kudzu I don't feel the shadow effect throughout the day.  The headaches just pop out and sink in at their appropriate times.

Another thing I've noticed is that occasionally the headache has shifted places.  Usually it's the typical ice-pick behind my right eye socket, since starting the Kudzu I've had several right on my left temple.  The eye tearing and runny nose has moved to the side with the pain.  Not sure what's up with that, just another change I've picked up on.

Thanks for the idea Frank-   Smiley
IP Logged
larry_b
New Board Newbie
USA 

i'm a jarhead/cluster head

« Reply #47 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 8:32am »

1) Your Age 63

2) Your Gender Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Eposodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 16years

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? It used to be in the spring but now, it seems to be any time of year.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? 4

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? Natures Way Kudzu Root, 613 mg.

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 2 capsules three times a day.

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Yes, I didn't get them during the day, and the hit at night was less painful.

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  8

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Oxygen and Maxalt as an abortive.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? no side effects.

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  I definetly think the Kudzu has helped me.

Larry B
IP Logged

larry b
phydeaux
New Board Newbie
USA 

And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice.

268836339 268836339   nttechie   chaos+afu
Email

« Reply #48 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 4:04pm »

1) Your Age     40

2) Your Gender  M

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?      Chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?      4

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?  N/A

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?  N/A

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?  4 years

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use?  Nature's Way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?  Two 613mg capsules twice a day

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  No change noted yet

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).    7

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  2

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  8

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   Lithium, Migergot (ergotamine&caffeine) and Actiq  

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?   None noted at this time

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).   0

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??   The kudzu has seemed to have little or no effect at this time, but I'll keep taking and hoping...
IP Logged

Necrophelia means never having to say... well, anything!
cherylc
New Board Newbie
Canada 

4 baby girls

« Reply #49 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 8:57am »

1) Your Age

2) Your Gender
Female

Episodic

24 years!
2 to 3 cycles/year, always in the fall lasting 3 weeks

3 days

SOLARAY 150 MG...2% DAIDZIN

2 TABLETS FIRST PM AND THEN 2 PER DAY

IMMEDIATE...NO H/A'S THAT FIRST NIGHT

Also taking 6 mg MELATONIN (with B6)at night
     and 2-Calcium and Magnesium supplements

slight stomach upset for the first few days

Couldn't believe that it worked immediately...I kept waiting for one to hit...had my 02 take ready.  After one week I attended a wedding and ended up staying up late, didn't take Kudzu at the right time and forgot to take Melatonin, was hit with 2 Kip 10's over 24 hours.  Once I returned home and  back to my routine no more h/a's.  

[font=Verdana][/font][color=Orange][/color][/b][b]
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss