Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 1:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Kudzu Survey - First Week »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Kudzu Survey - First Week
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Kudzu Survey - First Week  (Read 22810 times)
jdcanada
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Supporting my Man.

Re: Kudzu Survey - First Week
« Reply #50 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 7:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This was filled out by my partner Graham.  We are located in Ontario Canada.    We are SO HAPPY we found Kudzu -- thanks to this site & this survey.  

1) Your Age 41  

2) Your Gender  Male  

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  Episodic  

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?  
   Eight years  

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?  
   One cycle every TWO years: 2-3 months duration  

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?  
    3rd or fourth week

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?  
   ---- n/a ----

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use?  
    Nature's Way  

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?  
    2 capsules 3 times/day  

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  
    Noticeable, or measurable after seven days  

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  
     None    

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?    
     No side effects  

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  
     -------------------------------------  

17) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  
     Down to just ONE attack.  Starts 1 to 1-1/2 hours after falling asleep, KIP level 4-5.  

IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #51 on: Sep 20th, 2005, 9:13am »

Hi JD, glad to see the kudzu is helping your partner.  Just so you know, we have a Canadian cluster site as well and quite a few sufferers and supporters in your area.  Please feel free to check us out!

http://www.clusterheadaches.ca - we have a message board as well, and there's a link to it at the bottom right side of our homepage.  

There's a gal right in the TO area who's hubby is also on kudzu and getting pretty similar results.  Her screenname is Major (she also posts here), real name Lisa.

Hope to see you over there!

« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2005, 9:13am by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Pascal
New Board Newbie
France 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #52 on: Oct 1st, 2005, 4:27am »

on Feb 28th, 2005, 9:07pm, floridian wrote:

1) Your Age  58

2) Your Gender  F

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 5  

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?
2 X Year/ spring and fall : 9 to 11 weeks each time.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?  5th. day of 1st. week

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? N/A

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?  (fresh)?  diced kudzu roots from a herborist.

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?  15grms boiled in 1 liter of water for 50 mins, and  divided into 4 teas with the biggest dose at bed-time.

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?   YES: First day; (slept through first night from Midnight to 11 A.M. instead of being waken up  with CH at 3.A.M or 8 A.M. as usual every day.)  

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  
9  (could be a coincidence = an eventual change in the cycle for example.) ??

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?
9  "extremely effective", but can't say complete remission as still have the signs of "things going on in there "  (i.e. knotted muscles on right side of the neck, light burning behind right eye, light "toothache feelings etc.) It's as if all the painful symptoms of the the CH'S are still there but are masked and muted, trying to break through in permanance, but can't. Hard to explain actually.

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 9

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.
None except if I count Cafeine (in the form 1,5 liters of strong coffée a day.  In a normal cycle at this stage  take Imigran 2 X day as an abortive, have it on hand but have not had recours to it so far.  

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  YES;  Tired  and sleepy + sometimes a bit dizzy soon after a dose, but nothing alarming or scary.
N.B. Have the same symptoms during a usual cycle using imigran so it's not sure its because of the Kudzu.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  1

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  

On the 8th. day, was busy (and inconsient) and forget to take mid-morning and afternoon doses: result in the  end of the P.M. was  a small CH Kip 3/4 of short duration and well aborted by ice pack. Back to the usual dose and nothing since. For the other obs. and comments see reply to question 12.

IP Logged
tex_leger
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #53 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 3:20pm »

1) Your Age63

2) Your Gender male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 20

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? 2 spring fall

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? I didn't get out of cycle this year started kudzu after 4 months

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? nature's way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 6 pills 613mg

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?24 hr's

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?10

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc. prednisone,lithium,liptor 

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? low blood pressure

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). 2

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  
kudzu stopped cold after 7 days i felt like crying the headache are back but I'm still taking kudzu and hoping Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged
cmoore
New Board Newbie
USA 

clusterbuster

chrismo5555
WWW Email

« Reply #54 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 10:04pm »

1) Your Age

2) Your Gender  
 male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  
episodic

four years

one severe cycle in the fall that lasts 4 - 6 weeks, and sometimes one in late spring

i am currently in cycle. this is the second time I have used kudzu to treat my CH and both times I began using kudzu  at the first notice of symptoms.

n/a
Nature's Way  

2, 613mg capsules in the morning, 1 capsule in the afternoon, and one in the evening.

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? I immdeiately began noticing that the headaches were either gone or stayed at low kip levels. Most of the time never turning into anything above a kip 1 or 2, but sometimes escalating into a kip 4 or 5.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). I am certain that I notice a very positive change in my CH pattern, but since I do not always take careful note on the exact nature of my CH patterns, I can not say that I am extremely certain about my evaluation. I would say "8"

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 8

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 9

-Inderal
-Magnesium
-Trace Minerals
-Kudzu

definately increased gas  laugh
occasional indigestion, but can not attribute that solely to kudzu.  

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  0. This time with the kudzu I am not experiencing any unpleasant side effects. The first time I used it I experienced sever indigestion, but like I said before, am not sure if I can attribute that directly to the Kudzu.

This cycle has not been the easiest time for me. I am taking the Kudzu as directed, and am still getting hit here and there. While I am greatful for the PF time I am enjoying, it is still frustrating when you think you have found something that will work great for you, yet CH still negatively affects your life. I am a college student, and it never ceases to amaze me how my cycle will always start a week or two before finals. Regardless, kudzu is still the most affective treatment, besides shrooms, I have used.

IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #55 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 1:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

1) Your Age 31

2) Your Gender female

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 15

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? 1 cycle every other year, usually in September for 37 days.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? first week

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? n/a

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? NSI (Neutraceutical Sciences Institute from vitacost.com)

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 1300mg

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Yes.  3 days.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   9

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 8

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   Cymbalta, Xanax, Multivitamin, Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Excedrin Migraine

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  yes, just loose bowels that I correct with acidophilis

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  1

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??   Yes, that I have found it very important not to tamper with the dosage until at least a week has gone by, and also to take it at the same time each day.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005, 1:16pm by Melissa » IP Logged
cmoore
New Board Newbie
USA 

clusterbuster

chrismo5555
WWW Email

« Reply #56 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 7:22pm »

This post is an addendum to my survey.

Kudzu basically quit working for me approximately 2-3 weeks into my last cycle. I have since began experimenting with RC Seed dosing. But for Kudzu, it significantly lost its effectiveness.
IP Logged
Cinder
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #57 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 9:50pm »

1) Your Age  47

2) Your Gender  F

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?  Chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?  5

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? diagnosed 3 years ago

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?  Natures Way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?  2 X Aday

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  I started Kudzu and I have not yet had another cluster so imediatly, but have had a few major migrains

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10  

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  10

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Inderal, Celebrex, Multi Vitamine, Kudzu.  

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  No  

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  O  

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  I have not had a night-time cluster since I started Kudzu, but when I wake in the morning my right eye is slightly bloodshot and droopy.  

IP Logged
gobby
New Board Junior
USA 

I wish I had Migrains instead!

« Reply #58 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 12:36am »

1) Your Age - 37

2) Your Gender - Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? - Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? - 4  

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? - One per year, Fall/Winter

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?- 4

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? -NA

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? - Vitamin World (1000mg)

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? - 2000mg

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? - Yes (3 Days)

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). - 7

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? - 6

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). - 7

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc. - Aspirin, Melatonin, Red Bull  

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? - None

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  - 0

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  -  I had just ramped up from 5 hits a day to 7 when I started, then 3 days later it fell to 3 or 4........which is what it is at now 8 days later, but the intensity seems to have gone down a bit also.  I may be comming to the end of my cycle now, but it never dropped off so rapidly before.

« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2005, 12:37am by gobby » IP Logged

Things that don't kill us only make us wish we were dead.
r_headache
New Board Junior
Germany 

Air Force Rocks!!

« Reply #59 on: Dec 29th, 2005, 10:44am »

1) Your Age 35

2) Your Gender Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 12 years

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? this is a hard one...it varies from cycle to cycle.  recently I went 2 years.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? one week into my cycle

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? I got it from a german pharmacy so I have no idea of the brand

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? I followed the bottle instructions, 600 mg two times per day....later increased to 900 mg two times per day.

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? I did have a change in my pattern but it was great for two days then I got hit really bad for a couple of days then I have been ok since.  I think it took about a week for it to start to really take hold.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   5

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? first week???3..... second week 10.

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   verap 240 mg per day, thats all.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  none

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  0

IP Logged
teajay5779
New Board Newbie
USA 

make them STOP, please!

« Reply #60 on: Jan 10th, 2006, 9:14am »

1) Your Age [i][/i]26

2) Your Gender   M

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?   Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 5

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long?   about  2 a year at anytime

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu?   4 weeks

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use?  nature something

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu?  2 pills 3 times a day

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?   started to die down after a few days but still got them, just not as intence

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   5 b\c the cycle was old anyway

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)?  4 or 5

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   meletonin, zomig, O2

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  no

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??no
IP Logged

What people expect to happen is always different from what actually happens. From this comes great disappointment; this is the way the world works
Kelv
New Board Newbie
Canada 

"..."

« Reply #61 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 9:46pm »

1) Your Age 36

2) Your Gender Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 15

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? Once a year.  Used to be early summer, has moved to mid-winter.  Cycles last three weeks.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? One week in.

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? Nature's Way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? Two 613mg Capsules x three times (3678mg).  

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Yes, I took the first dose in the late afternoon and didn't get my usual dinner/evening headaches afterwords.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Nothing except getting a little caffeine from Coke for shadows.  I don't drink coffee, cola or tea normally.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? Occasional dizziness.  My insomnia has been worse than normal this cycle, but it was bad before the kudzu so it's difficult to say how much it's responsible for.  

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). 1

17) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add? Not currently.
IP Logged
jBryan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #62 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 9:35pm »

1) Your Age  

2) Your Gender
m

Episodic

once/yr, winter, 3 months

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?
Solary

150 mg 4Xs / day

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? 4 days

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 5

Lecithin
Magnesium
Immatrex
Omega 3
c
multi

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? dizziness

Kudzu became very effective after 2 + weeks; now I would rate its effecacy a 9.

[/quote]
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #63 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 11:00pm »

Can you tell me about this "CHATS", please?
After reading all I have been on Kudzu, I bought some today and taking it. Since I take no meds at all, I should be a good test subject.
Thanks
IP Logged

Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #64 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 10:35am »

1) Your Age 42

2) Your Gender male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? chronic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 40+ years

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? n/a

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? n/a

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic? As long as I can remember

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? Solray

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 150mg X 2

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?  Yes, within the first hour, as I took it while in pain. It cut the episode in 1/2 from it's normal course

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   10. my episodes are always 3+ hours, always, and this one quit within 1 1/2 hours

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? I would call it an 8

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 10. I have had several episodes since starting and the duration is less, just over an hour in length, and not nearly as painful. I can tell when a big one is on the way, and so far the worst I have had was a kip 7. the warnings said it should have been around a kip 9.  

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   none

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  I have to eat first before taking, otherwise it bothers my stomach

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  3. annoying, but not real major

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??   not at this time
IP Logged

jdd
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #65 on: Mar 18th, 2006, 1:12pm »

1) Your Age

2) Your Gender
Male

Episodic

20 years

Used to be summers, but now it can be any time of the year lasting about 2-3 months (1 cycle per year usually)

First week.

n/a

Nature's Way

Just one before I went to sleep (as I wasn't getting a hit during the day yet).  During the beginning of the last cycle, I got hit maybe 2-4 times in the first week and they wern't very intense.  As I got further into cycle, the hits become more intense and frequent.

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur?
Yes on the first night, but I got hit the next day for several hours (kip 3).  I increased my dosage to 3 per day (one at lunch, one at dinner, and one before I go to sleep).  After the increased dosage, I have had very minor hits (kip 1), so I have had no problems.  I have been pain free during night, but there was one night when I woke up due to a phantom hit.  I could tell that the CH was there, but I did not feel any pain.

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).

Multivitamin, vitamin C, and I have Imitrex nasal spray to abort but have not used any this cycle.

Yes.  The first couple of days I felt very tired and sleepy after taking kudzu.  

I've been very lucky with kudzu, as I have been relatively pain free.  Only infrequent minor kip 1 hits that really have no impact in my daily living.  

The only caution I'll add is that I am not certain that I am in cycle.  It sure felt like it was coming, but I cannot be 100% sure.  If I am, the kudzu is doing wonders.  If I am not, I don't believe the kudzu has any negative effects.  My feeling however, is that I am in cycle and kudzu is working.  

Where was kudzu 20 years ago??

IP Logged
frisbee
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #66 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 1:04pm »

1) Your Age

2) Your Gender
Male

Episodic

One cycle every one or two years. Time of year varies. 8-11 weeks.

1st week

Planetary Kudzu Recovery (found locally), switched to NSI Kudzu Root (cheaper online)

2 tablets 3x/day, now 4x/day

It was the beginning of a new cycle (3 weeks in), so it's hard to say. But I would usually get 2-4 HA/day and night, am only getting 1-2 and they are of lessened severity, easily averted with O2 and/or vigorous exercise. None at night so far which is great. I am a teacher, so getting a HA during class is a hassle. I have O2 at home and have got a portable set up in the past for school. This cycle it doesn't seem that I will need the portable. Previously I would have to do push-ups and situps to exhaustion (rotating for 10-15 minutes) at school. With Kudzu, it takes merely a couple dozen of each to chase the HA off (a couple minutes only). We'll see if that continues through the cycle since historically the HA become more intense a few weeks into a cycle, but I am starting my 3rd week and there seems to be no increase in severity. The edge is _certainly_ lessened. The cycle continues, but at roughly half the severity.

O2, vigorous exercise, or both simultaneously.

No interest in drinking alchohol. Reduced appetite. Relaxed. All positive. I'll likely continue a lessor Kudzu dose after the cycle ends.

Just that Kudzu appears to take the edge off the HA intensity/frequency. Much easier to abort with O2 and exercise. Fewer HA. To be "scientific" I should go off the Kudzu in a couple weeks to see if the severity explodes, but I probably won't since I'm so happy with the lessened edge...which is another way of saying I'll be chicken to. Wink

IP Logged
frisbee
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #67 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 1:09pm »

1) Your Age

2) Your Gender
Male

Episodic

One cycle every one or two years. Time of year varies. 8-11 weeks.

1st week

Planetary Kudzu Recovery (found locally), switched to NSI Kudzu Root (cheaper online)

2 tablets 3x/day, now 4x/day

It was the beginning of a new cycle (3 weeks in), so it's hard to say. But I would usually get 2-4 HA/day and night, am only getting 1-2 and they are of lessened severity, easily averted with O2 and/or vigorous exercise. None at night so far which is great. I am a teacher, so getting a HA during class is a hassle. I have O2 at home and have got a portable set up in the past for school. This cycle it doesn't seem that I will need the portable. Previously I would have to do push-ups and situps to exhaustion (rotating for 10-15 minutes) at school. With Kudzu, it takes merely a couple dozen of each to chase the HA off (a couple minutes only). We'll see if that continues through the cycle since historically the HA become more intense a few weeks into a cycle, but I am starting my 3rd week and there seems to be no increase in severity. The edge is _certainly_ lessened. The cycle continues, but at roughly half the severity.

O2, vigorous exercise, or both simultaneously.

No interest in drinking alchohol. Reduced appetite. Relaxed. All positive. I'll likely continue a lessor Kudzu dose after the cycle ends.

Just that Kudzu appears to take the edge off the HA intensity/frequency. Much easier to abort with O2 and exercise. Fewer HA. To be "scientific" I should go off the Kudzu in a couple weeks to see if the severity explodes, but I probably won't since I'm so happy with the lessened edge...which is another way of saying I'll be chicken to. Wink

IP Logged
IpityU
New Board Newbie
USA 

Matt. 26:39

Email

« Reply #68 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 1:24pm »

Information for my husband, Jim.

1) Your Age ~48

2) Your Gender~Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?~episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?~First time, currently in week6

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? ~Uncertain at this time

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? ~Week 5

8) What brand of kudzu do you use?~ Solar Way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? ~4 x 150mg

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? ~Immediately, with in two hours missed my usual hit.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). 10  

~Only vitamins on daily basis:
B-12 250 mcg
B-6 100 mg
Vit. C  500mg
Calcium,magnesium with Zinc
333mg Calcium, 133 mg Magnesium, 5mg Zinc  

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they? none

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). 0

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add?? Only experience shadows most of the time. Occasional Kip 5- 6 but much shorter duration.   

IP Logged
I Cant Dance
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

Kicking "Fat Bastard" to the curb!

« Reply #69 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 4:30am »

1) Your Age  

2) Your Gender  

M

Episodic...so far

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time
 of year, and how long?

1-2, Sept/October and March/April, usually 4-5 weeks, this time I think I am now in week 7

Planetary formulas kudzu recovery

5 x 750mg split over 3 times

NO

o2, melatonin

upset GI

1-2

no
IP Logged

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met."
-Steve Prefontaine, "Without Limits"----Yeah Right! "I got yer pain right hiya."
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #70 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 10:48am »

1) Your Age   43

2) Your Gender    M

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic?   Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches?  At least 7

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? Unknown

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? 4 weeks

7) If chronic, how long have you been chronic?  Not applicable

8) What brand of kudzu do you use? Planetary Formulas "Kudzu Recovery"

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? Four pills (750mg each); 1 late morning, 1 mid-afternoon, 2 in evening

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Day 2 experienced fewer attacks of less intensity

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 6

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.  Melatonin, calcium, magnesium, and Taurine.  Tramadol (Ultram) only when must push headaches back due to work requirements

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  Diarrhea until body adjusted

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant). 3  

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  Kudzu has reduced (on average) number of attacks/day from 8 - 10 to 2 - 5.  Intensity (on average) has been reduced from K8/K9 attacks to K5 - K7 with the occassional K8 or K9.  Length of attacks has (on average) been reduced from 1 - 1 1/2 hours to 15 minutes - 45 minutes.   Hubby describes it as having changed the nature of his CH from lots of long, intense and "sharp" attacks to an all day "fuzz" with constant shadows that spike into shorter attacks.  All-in-all CH is more "bearable" for him with the use of Kudzu.

IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #71 on: May 15th, 2006, 3:50pm »

1) Your Age

2) Your Gender  
--F

--Chronic

--All of my adult life, possibly longer

--N/A

--N/A

--Since 2002, this round.

--Nature's Apothacary - liquid extract

--2 ml, then 1 ml, then 1/2 ml four times on 2nd day but within the 1st 24 hours.  ( 1 ml has 100 mg Pureraria lobata).

--My headache patterns varry. On the day I started kudzu, I was getting hit every hour.  The 2nd through 4th days, I was hit every 1 1/2 hours.  The lengthening time may or may not have been related to the kudzu.

--10 - unknown whether kudzu affected the pattern

--Related to remission - 0.  
--Related to pain management - 5.  

--5 mg Paxil daily.
--Maxalt mlt in 2.5mg increments as needed.  
--Currently no vitamins or supplements.

--On the 2nd day, I had gas, but not after that.  
--Over half the week, I used no maxalt mlt.
--On day 6, I had several hours mid morning of back to back hits with 5 to 7 minutes in between.

--I had hoped it might work in liquid form as an abortive.  On the 2nd day, I tried .5 ml per hit, but it did not work as an abortive, so I switched to 2 ml, three times a day.
--Since I started taking it during a very bad day, I can not say what per centage of change it made.
--I emailed the info from Floridian's article to my dr, who wasn't sure I should take kudzu as I use Maxalt mlt, a triptin.  I did use a total of 5mg maxalt mlt on two days with no adverse reaction.
--This week is better, but I can not say whether it is due to kudzu or to the nature of cronic ch.

6-9-06: Still doing OK.  
     per neurologist on 8-4-06, my ha has elements of but is not ch or cph.  So, my info may not be valid for ch, but it is valid for me and the kudzu is still helping, 3 months later.
     on follow-up, on 10-5-06,  the neuro now says it is ch or sunct, and wants me to stop kudzu & start verapamil.  Still thinking about that one.

Charlotte

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2006, 11:37am by Charlotte » IP Logged
vze2n4nj
New Board Newbie
USA 

Here's to pain free minutes!

realisminlife  
WWW Email

« Reply #72 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 11:39pm »

1) Your Age -25

2) Your Gender -Male

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? -Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? - 5yrs

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? -2 cycles per year, 1 month each

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? -1.5weeks

Cool What brand of kudzu do you use? -Started with Nature's herbs, now use nature's way

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? -3 capsules, about 1500mg

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? -I got a kip 7 1 day later on schedule, that I aborted with imitrex tablet. For the next week, I only got one more kip 6-7, and the 2nd week I got only one kip 6. Usually my cycle escalates to several kip 7's and 8's in a 3 week stretch, and it has not. That is abnormal.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   -10. I kept a log. I needed to, as I ran out of those damn expensive imitex tablets and do not have an o2 tank

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? -8. I still got shadows and 2 kip 6's.

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain). -10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc.   -only imitrex 100mg tablets.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?  -Hard to say. I moved my bowels more often, but I usually do when I have clusters.

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).  -0. ANYTHING to prevent a cluster!

16) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??  -I am a researcher, so I know all about searching for cause and effect. I tried my best to stick to 5 or 6 capsules of Kudzu daily, but I did not of course. The only few times I did not take Kudzu, I got those kip 6's, no joking. For example, 2 nights ago, I took 1 capsule before bed instead of 2, because I took one only a few hours earlier. At 3 in the morning, I was up  with the devil. The only way to know if Kudzu works is if it helps when taking it, and you relapse if you stop taking it. I am convinced that was the case for me. I now worship the Kudzu plant, ask my girlfriend! I would also like to thank OUCH for providing this outlet so I could have found out about Kudzu. God Bless You!!!!! Pain free days are here, naturally!!
IP Logged
Sovenite
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #73 on: Jul 28th, 2006, 4:48pm »

1) Your Age  

2) Your Gender  
   Male

Ummm... dont know yet.  I HOPE eposodic.

This was my first episode.

Again, dont know yet.

8????  

9 weeks (IF cronic)

Solaray

2x250mg 2 times daily  (upped to 4 times daily after 3rd day)

HUGE YES!!! They STOPPED immediately for 2 days.  some shadows but nothing i couldnt tolerate after four hits at kip 8 or worse, each day, for almost 2 months.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question  
10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).    

7  ((after 2nd day, headaches came back, average one a day with drastically decreased severity (usually) and duration. (almost always except one night when i drank few (Cool beers.))

exedrine sinus headache if i feel like a hit is coming on.. can usually tell several hours in advance because of pressure in sinus cavity or pain above teeth on right side.  doesnt do crap for the headache itself if it comes but helps a lot with residual sinus pressure and tense muscles after the main hit is over.
   caffine... it seems if i drink a cup of coffee before bed i dont get a night time hit... if i dont have the coffee, i get a mild hit.  also a mountain dew during the day seems to get rid of most upcoming headaches.
    vicks sinus nasal stuff... label is rubbed off from having it pocket all the time so not sure of exact name, but found that if i take it AFTER pain behind eye stops, it speeds recovery of sinus pressure on rare occasions that excedrine sinus doesnt cut it.  I DONT RECOMEND IT WHILE A HEADACHE IS ACTIVE!!!!!

more relaxed on average during the day.  even with increased intake of caffine, im generally more at ease since taking kudzu ((when im not having a headache))
     dont want to drink as much.. could be kudzu, could be knowing what happens if i drink   (but seems only beer is trigger for me... before kudzu, getting drunk on whiskey actually kept me from getting major headaches the next day... only ever got a normal hang over type headache that way,which hurts way less)
  -1.   the side efects are good in my book.

Yes,, i spread them all through the survey in responce to appropriate questions.. and there is one other comment... THANK GOD FOR KUDZU AND THANK THE PEOPLE WHO RUN THIS SITE FOR HAVING THE INFO THAT LED ME TO DISCOVER IT!....     i didnt even know what a cluster headache whas untill i did a search on cronic headaches and found one line in an artical about migraines that refered to clusters.. which led to another search, which led to this site... really.. thanks so much for hosting this site and thanks to everyone who contributes...  you all probably saved me years of agony!
 [color=Purple][/color]
IP Logged
serendipity
New Board Junior
USA 

huckleberryalice
Email

« Reply #74 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 8:48am »

1) Your Age 37

2) Your Gender Female

3) Are you Episodic or Chronic? Episodic

4) How many years have you had cluster headaches? 17-18

5) If episodic, how many cycles in a typical year, what time of year, and how long? Usually one cycle per year, time of year varies, each cycle lasts approx. 8 weeks.

6) If episodic, how many weeks into a cycle did you start on kudzu? 1.5

Vitamin World

9) What dose did you take during the first 24 hours that you started on kudzu? 2,000 mg. at bedtime

10) Did a change in your cluster headache pattern occur after taking kudzu?  If so, how soon after you started did it occur? Yes, immediately.  Had the first completely pain-free night of sleep this cycle the night I took my first dose.

11) How certain are you about the answer to question 10 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).   10

12) At the end of the first week on kudzu, how effective would you rate kudzu (0-10, where zero is not at all effective, 10 is complete remission)? 7

13) How certain are you about the answer to question 12 (scale of 0-10, where 0 is not at all certain, 10 is completely certain).  10

14) What other medicines are you taking?  Include preventive and abortive medicines for CH, non-CH medicines, vitamins, etc. O2 and Frova (Frova only when CH comes back after two O2 treatments - maybe two doses per week).  9 mg of Melatonin at bedtime.

15) Have you noticed any side effects?  If so, what are they?   Leg/arm cramps

16) On a scale of 0-10, how intolerable are the side effects? (0-no side effects, perfectly tolerable; 10 - extremely unpleasant).    2

17) Are there other observations, comments or questions that you would like to add??    The frequency of my heachaches seems to have decreased a little, but the most noticeable change is in the intensity of them.  Nothing over a kip 5 since I started taking the kudzu (which is unheard of at this point in the cycle for me), and twice I have been able to ride a CH out without any medication or O2 whatsoever.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2006, 8:56am by serendipity » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss