Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 5:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « adapting o2 o2 »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   adapting o2 o2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: adapting o2 o2  (Read 1391 times)
outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

damn......no place to park

adapting o2 o2
« on: Jan 13th, 2008, 6:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i don't have a precription for o2 and i get it from a friend of mine. i have found this to be most effective in aborting a ch. where can i get a regulator for the larger welding tanks and do i need some kind of script. also is it possable to fill up a small bottle with a large one. i use alot of this so i need to make it more efficiant. can't always drag around a big ass bottle with me.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2008, 6:54pm by outofcommission » IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: adapting o2 o2
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 7:05pm »

You'll blow yourself to the next county trying to fill one bottle from another. We're talking 2,000 psi here. Your best bet is to get a prescription for the O2 from your doc and have the durable medical goods provider fill your needs in smaller bottles. If you want to save some $, keep a welding bottle at home for use when you get hit there.

Others will have to help you with ideas about a regulator.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 7:10pm »

I wouldn't do it but something mentioned about that in this recent thread.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=chspecific;a ction=display;num=1199222142;start=0#0

IP Logged
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 6:40am »

Just got a tank myself - finding that it won't abort a full-blown kip 7/8, but if I catch it early, I can stave th HA off for a few hours.

I must admit, tho, that I hate the non-rebreather mask and would probably prefer to use a scuba mouthpiece, so if anyone has any ideas about attaching a regulator to a normal tank ----- I have a larger MM tank, with a normal, threaded, coupler - not the smaller E tank that is so common with portable set-ups.

Thanks for any help. I'm sure this info would be of general use to many.

Lenny
IP Logged
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 5:05pm »

I posted some advice about oxygen use here:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=chspecific;a ction=display;num=1200094197

Someone else mentioned a company, Apria, which is nationwide.

Oxygen is great but use it knowledgeably!
IP Logged
kingsiren
New Board Junior

Good Luck and God Bless!!!!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 9:18pm »

If you have no insurance or an uncooperative doctor then You can buy a regulator on ebay pretty cheap, as long as it is a cga 540 that operates up to 15lpm. Then you can rent a large "HK" oxygen tank from any welding supply the 02 for welding & medical use is exactly the same thing from the same source, the only difference is the handling of the tanks and labeling. I had to get my non rebreathing mask from a kind emt i saw at 7-11. It costs about $150 deposit 4 the tank, $50 annual rental & $20 every time you use it. You can also get what they call an oxygen refill yoke (it will say something like cga540-cga870) on ebay or from an aviation supplier online, just make sure to get one with guages built in. It is very safe if done according to directions, I will gladly email you a link to a pdf instruction from one of the manufacturers. I have never gotten a non rebreathing mask from a medical supplier, they always do something to screw up my order and my insurance wont pay 4 me to keep a tank year round so I went out and got my own. If you can read numbers and operate an adjustable crescent wrench you can do it all on your own for 25% or less than what a medical supply will charge you. Anyone with questions please feel free to im me
IP Logged

I have an ice pick being repeatedly stabbed through my eye, into my brain while 4160 Volts run through it as someone squeezes my eyeball. You get headaches buddy, I get the Beelzebub on Crystal Meth.
outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 1:55am »

on Jan 14th, 2008, 9:18pm, kingsiren wrote:
If you have no insurance or an uncooperative doctor then You can buy a regulator on ebay pretty cheap, as long as it is a cga 540 that operates up to 15lpm. Then you can rent a large "HK" oxygen tank from any welding supply the 02 for welding & medical use is exactly the same thing from the same source, the only difference is the handling of the tanks and labeling. I had to get my non rebreathing mask from a kind emt i saw at 7-11. It costs about $150 deposit 4 the tank, $50 annual rental & $20 every time you use it. You can also get what they call an oxygen refill yoke (it will say something like cga540-cga870) on ebay or from an aviation supplier online, just make sure to get one with guages built in. It is very safe if done according to directions, I will gladly email you a link to a pdf instruction from one of the manufacturers. I have never gotten a non rebreathing mask from a medical supplier, they always do something to screw up my order and my insurance wont pay 4 me to keep a tank year round so I went out and got my own. If you can read numbers and operate an adjustable crescent wrench you can do it all on your own for 25% or less than what a medical supply will charge you. Anyone with questions please feel free to im me

ebay was a great idea thanks.
IP Logged

that which does not kill you will only make you crazy, obsessive, and sleep deprived
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 10:51am »

Quote:
you can rent a large "HK" oxygen tank from any welding supply the 02 for welding & medical use is exactly the same thing from the same source, the only difference is the handling of the tanks  

sorry but thats not true, the difference is that welding 02 has more impurities in the tank its not as clean as a medical grade tank, yes 02 is 02 but if you breathe it with unsafe impurities then that can cause you to have an even worse headache, med grade bottles are super clean on the inside, hence why they are "med-grade"

okay here a cheaper way to get 02, buy an 02 clean scuba reg, buy a 40 litre aluminum scuba tank, you can have this 02 cleaned (very important) go to your nearest dive shop or even the fire station might help you out and ask them to fill your 40 litre tank, it is possible i do it every day, at my dive shop with an 02 whip, a tube with one end that fits on the big green 02 tank and the other end is just an adapter for filling scuba tanks,
all of the above can be purchased on ebay,
any scuba reg will work, when i say 02 clean, it just means that all the lubricant and o rings are made for 02 (vitan o-rings) and it will not catch on fire
i find that the scuba reg is great you dont waste any 02 and you can chug in a huge lungfull of 02 at a time i even know in a few mins if the 02 is gonna abort or not,
my weird thing is one night it will abort all attacks and then the next night nothing, hope you get a supply soon
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 11:28am »

on Jan 17th, 2008, 10:51am, hotprestwich wrote:

you can rent a large "HK" oxygen tank from any welding supply the 02 for welding & medical use is exactly the same thing from the same source, the only difference is the handling of the tanks  

sorry but thats not true, the difference is that welding 02 has more impurities in the tank its not as clean as a medical grade tank, yes 02 is 02 but if you breathe it with unsafe impurities then that can cause you to have an even worse headache, med grade bottles are super clean on the inside, hence why they are "med-grade"

Yer as full of shit as a grass fed goose.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 12:35pm »

on Jan 17th, 2008, 11:49am, hotprestwich wrote:
Potter man your an not a very nice person,
you are very narrow minded, and got nothing possitive to offer, i work with 02 on a profesional basis, i even have gas blending qualifications and not the weilding type, if it works for you great , but  im sure no one would suggest breathing contaminated 02, what a thingy you are,
are you the fish in the picture?????
dont waste time with negative posts,

Yep welders don't mind a little contamination in their welds just ask jonny.  He's as good as it gets.

Potter

IP Logged

outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 1:35pm »

uhhhhh well...... i have oxygen welding tanks out in the garage. the bottles are paid for. tractors supply will trade out a large for about 28 bucks. any info you guys give me is greatly appreciated. my neighbor is a scuba diver and emt. maybe i can pick his brain on the matter.   thanks for the help guys. hope you 2 can iron out your differences.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2008, 1:40pm by outofcommission » IP Logged

vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 1:40pm »

on Jan 17th, 2008, 1:35pm, outofcommission wrote:
uhhhhh well...... i have oxygen welding tanks out in the garage. the bottles are paid for. tractors supply will trade out a large for about 28 bucks. thanks for the help guys. hope you 2 can iron out your differences.

Good on ya.  Keep on huffin.
    I just don't like bad advice it might keep one person from using oxygen as an abortive.  One is too many.

Potter
IP Logged

outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 1:43pm »

well i am not getting much sleep and i am spending alot of time on this board soaking up info. i am sure with help from everyone i will overcome these damn headaches. i just have to keep on it. thanks again man.
IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #13 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 2:18pm »

Even if you don't "overcome" them, you will learn how to deal with them both medically and mentally and that is priceless.

As to O2 - I've been using welder's oxygen for a while now.  No complications, no problems - nothing but relief.  I pay less for welder's O2 than than I did for medical O2 with insurance.   $22.50 at the local steel supply house fills a honkin' big welder's K tank.  

Good luck!

IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 3:17pm »

on Jan 17th, 2008, 2:18pm, Gator wrote:
Even if you don't "overcome" them, you will learn how to deal with them both medically and mentally and that is priceless.

As to O2 - I've been using welder's oxygen for a while now.  No complications, no problems - nothing but relief.  I pay less for welder's O2 than than I did for medical O2 with insurance.   $22.50 at the local steel supply house fills a honkin' big welder's K tank.  

Good luck!

Yep what he said is right on esp. the mental part. Knowing you have a weapon is the best part.

Potter
IP Logged

kingsiren
New Board Junior

Good Luck and God Bless!!!!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 12:35am »

on Jan 17th, 2008, 10:51am, hotprestwich wrote:

okay here a cheaper way to get 02, buy an 02 clean scuba reg, buy a 40 litre aluminum scuba tank, you can have this 02 cleaned (very important) go to your nearest dive shop or even the fire station might help you out and ask them to fill your 40 litre tank, it is possible i do it every day, at my dive shop with an 02 whip, a tube with one end that fits on the big green 02 tank and the other end is just an adapter for filling scuba tanks,
all of the above can be purchased on ebay,
any scuba reg will work, when i say 02 clean, it just means that all the lubricant and o rings are made for 02 (vitan o-rings) and it will not catch on fire
i find that the scuba reg is great you dont waste any 02 and you can chug in a huge lungfull of 02 at a time i even know in a few mins if the 02 is gonna abort or not,
my weird thing is one night it will abort all attacks and then the next night nothing, hope you get a supply soon

You are absolutely wrong. I spoke to the guy who fills the tanks, the large welding tanks & the large medical tanks are exactly the same, inside & out. Its a sealed tank genius, 02 flows out nothing flows in how could the inside of the tank get dirty? The outside are cleaned differently, they are stored in seperate locations but what comes out is eactly the same. Different labels, thats about it.  You shouldn't come here and post false information, people are suffering and if you are gonna make stuff up that discourages them from helping themselves you are doing a great disservice.
IP Logged

I have an ice pick being repeatedly stabbed through my eye, into my brain while 4160 Volts run through it as someone squeezes my eyeball. You get headaches buddy, I get the Beelzebub on Crystal Meth.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #16 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 1:28am »

My office is in a complex that houses a medical gas place. The owner and I were talking and I asked him about refilling my welder's tank. I told him I used it for clusters, and I was sure he would try to convince me that a welder's tank was an unsafe route to go.
He told me they fill medical and welding tanks out of the same tank... so I was fine to use a welder's tank. He also said he'd get it filled for me whenever I need it.  
Helluva nice guy.  Smiley
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 4:44pm »

okay wires are getting crossed and i didnt in no way mean that you shouldnt use it.  
on a proffesional level i would never be allowed to fill someones tank for diving with welders 02 i know what the inside of the tanks can look like after years of filling,
you should see the state of some of them here in Mexico
(different standards in the U.S)  
i would get sued if somthing went wrong, but i guess on land at 1atm of pressure its fine, well you guys are the living proof,
this is a big sorry for any wrong info, i no way meant to discourage anyone from using 02, as it is a blessing, and anyone with clusters should try it
please try and understand that i was writing that from a divers perspective, wich is anal when it comes to mixing gases.
and anyway i was just trying to help outofcommision get some 02, that was what most of my post was about and for some reason evryone picked up on my anal comment, Sorry for that ,if i could take it back i would,
pain free wishes
IP Logged

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 9:26pm »

The only difference between med and welding tanks are the state inspection paper work .

Welding tanks are also inspected every year or they would blow up in your face.

Impurities?......ever see a cutting torch work with impurities?.....I havent and my family has been in the welding trade for over 90 years.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 12:16pm »

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lpt/oxlabel.htm

okay here is a list of impurites...they do exist, just click on the link
but your right sounds like theres not much difference in the two grades,
sorry i was wrong
IP Logged

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 1:14am »

on Jan 19th, 2008, 12:16pm, hotprestwich wrote:
sorry i was wrong

You and I both......I was wrong when I said welding tanks were inspected every year.....its every five years according to my gas guy.

Your the cave diving dude right?.....I did some diving in lakes and the ocean, but you will never catch my ass in no cave.....LOL Grin

That scares the fuck out of me!

IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 9:59am »

i am the cave diving dude,
and i love it, what scares the fuck outta me is getting an attack way back in the cave, i have to dive with an extra bottle of 02 just incase, the caves here are really shallow (safe to breathe the 02 @15 feet or less) so its like doing some crude hyperbaric treatment, may be working i got my first full nights sleep last night since christmas, only woke up with shadows , that quickly went away with a cup of strong coffee,
pain free wishes to ya man,
Dave
IP Logged

outofcommission
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #22 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:44am »

on Jan 17th, 2008, 2:18pm, Gator wrote:

Good luck!

well since i have been using o2 i do have a fighting chance. last cycles i didn't have this board to bounce things off of. because off the o2 i can ride out out a kip2 or kip3 for 5 minutes and keep driving. this keeps the wheels rolling, my  family fed and keeps the lights on at home. i am going to need to get a larger capacity for the truck though. i use the more popular size (don't know sizes yet) and go through about one a day at 15 lpm. i am scared to take those long hauls but i am sure i will figure something out. i am a surviver  i am 100 times better off this time around than i ever was growing up and in my 20s. hell i am better off now than i was 2 weeks ago. thanks gator.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:51am by outofcommission » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss