Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Does cigarette smoking trigger or affect your CH's »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Does cigarette smoking trigger or affect your CH's
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Does cigarette smoking trigger or affect your CH's  (Read 1209 times)
b.bop
New Board Newbie

*blergle*

Email

Does cigarette smoking trigger or affect your CH's
« on: Jan 15th, 2003, 7:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sometimes I find a headache starting or becoming more intense whilest smoking a cigarette, other times it won't have any effect so I can't be sure if it's related. Has anyone found that smoking triggers or worsens their cluster headaches?  

IP Logged
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

Re: Does cigarette smoking trigger or affect your
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 10:49pm »

smoking is the great sedater for me. Never a trigger.
IP Logged
dcg
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 2:04am »

Never. And sometimes I go smoke a cigarette while in pain just to keep myself bussy. ;D
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 3:57am »

Cigarettes is THE best nervemediacton since the mankind manage to develop the word medication.  
Nothing over or beside.Its just the best  

1 heartattack and still smoking.  
Taking my ciggs away=to take the trex away as i see this  

Svenn      Grin ;D ;D ;D ;D
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
ave

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 5:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When I smoked I got clusters. When I stopped smoking I stillgot them. No change.
IP Logged
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 10:58am »

Check yesterday's thread "Cigarettes..." under "General Posts".

(great minds think alike?)

Grant
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 11:39am »

I smoked prior to ever getting ch's.....then quit back in 1989 - unfortunately the beast is still here.....i found NO change in either smoking or not.......

Mia
IP Logged
b.bop
New Board Newbie

*blergle*

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 3:28pm »

Thanks everyone for your feed back. It's greatly appreciated
IP Logged
cluster0557
New Board Veteran

Migraines are bad. Clusters are Hell, I have both

bedazzled1051
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 4:38pm »

On Feb 21,2002 I quit smoking based on reccomendation of my Neurologist that not smoking would help reduce the clusters.

So like an idiot I took another Dr Idiots advice and quit.

Now almost a year later not only due I have the clusters,  I now have Hemicrania continua topped off by d__n migraines.

It seemed like once my stress reliever cigarette was gone new stress and symptoms started and Head got worse.

In ways I am tempted to smoke again to see if my headaches clear up but after going cold turkey and not touching one for 11 months I don't know because when I don't have headache I feel great and can actually run again.

The good news is I fired that Neuro ;D.
IP Logged

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional

Life is too short so push thru the _amn pain.

Jim
ComputerGeek

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 5:35pm »

Hi B.Bop

My story is ditto to everyone else's.  I quit smoking on the advice of my doctor and NO change in the CHs.  My wife is real happy I quit, I on the other hand have told her that if make it to age 85 I am going back to smoking and if I am in a hospital bed when I turn 85 then she is to put a cigarette in my mouth, light it, and jump up and down on my chest until I have inhaled the entire thing.  I MISS SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat
IP Logged
Starfire3
New Board Newbie

Get Thee Gone Destroyer of Dreams

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 2:38pm »

I have seen a connection to cigarette smoke and HA.

Not that my CH improved when I quit, as others have said, no change.

However, I have found that being around smoke *can* be a trigger. Then again, they say that nobody is worse about second hand smoke than a reformed smoker. Smiley
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 3:45pm »

Clinically speaking, smoking may be your best friend in controlling expansion of blood vessels:

Multiple methods to reverse smoker's endothelial dysfunction revealed

1/7/2003

The amino acid taurine, commonly found in fish, vitamin C, and the gout drug allopurinol may each help to reverse endothelial dysfunction in the blood vessels caused by smoking, two reports in the journal Circulation indicate.

The studies suggest that both suppression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (NOS) expression and xanthine oxidase play a part in endothelial dysfunction.

In the first study, David Bouchier-Hayes and colleagues from Beaumont Hospital in Dublin, Ireland, tested the hypothesis that taurine and vitamin C would restore endothelial function in young smokers by modifying monocyte-endothelial interactions.

Previous studies have shown that taurine and vitamin C can protect endothelial function after exposure to inflammatory cells, their mediators, and other chemicals.

Bouchier-Hayes and colleagues recruited 15 healthy smokers, aged 20 to 37 years old, and 15 non-smokers into their study. For 5 days, the smokers were given 2 g per day vitamin C or 1.5 g per day taurine, the latter equivalent to a single serving of fish. Following a 2-week washout period, smokers were switched to the alternative treatment for a further 5 days.

At baseline and after treatment, flow-mediated dilatation (FMD) was measured using duplex ultrasonography to gauge endothelial-dependent vasodilatation.

The researchers found that, before treatment, FMD significantly increased blood vessel diameter from 3.39 mm to 3.7 mm, while the diameter of smokers' vessels remained virtually unchanged, increasing marginally from 3.33 mm to 3.36 mm.

However, after taking vitamin C, the diameter of smokers' vessels increased to 3.45 mm after FMD and after they were given taurine, smokers experienced the same response as nonsmokers, at 3.7 mm after FMD.

"These studies suggest that taurine supplementation has a beneficial impact on macrovascular endothelial function and that this is mediated, at least in part, by restoration of endothelial nitric oxide synthase protein expression," the researchers conclude.

A further study, by researchers at the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine in the USA, examined whether allopurinol could benefit vessel function in smokers by inhibiting xanthine oxidase, a contributor to endothelial dysfunction.

Fourteen smokers and 14 age- and sex- matched healthy nonsmokers were randomized to a single 600 mg oral dose of allopurinol or no drug in a single-blind, randomized, two-phase crossover study.

The team found that endothelium-dependent vasodilation with acetylcholine was significantly less in smokers than nonsmokers, at 254% versus 390%. However, after taking allopurinol, the smokers' blood vessels response improved to 463%, while the nonsmokers' response remained relatively unchanged, at 401%.

Bradykinin in smokers' responses also significantly improved nonsignificantly with allopurinol, however the drug did not alter endothelium-independent vasodilation or basal nitric oxide levels in either groups.

The researchers, led by William Haynes, conclude: "Allopurinol rapidly reverses endothelial dysfunction in cigarette smokers, which suggests that xanthine oxidase plays a role in endothelial dysfunction."

Source:Circulation 2003; Rapid access publication

http://circ.ahajournals.org/rapidaccess.shtml

Token "Tokin",
RJ

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2003, 3:47pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
cluster0557
New Board Veteran

bedazzled1051
Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 4:11pm »

But what does all  that mean to me.

Should I gulp vitamin C in quantity  or eat tons of fish  ???
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2003, 4:12pm by cluster0557 » IP Logged

Jim
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 4:35pm »

Quote:
Should I gulp vitamin C in quantity  or eat tons of fish

Heck No! That "endothelial dysfunction" stuff is kind of like hardening up the old blood vessels. When the vessels expand, you get slammed.........`rets, O2 and things that end in "triptan" help restrict flow, our desired end result.

Best bet? Avoid fish, vitamins and a healthy diet. When the turkey hits the table, be the first one to eat _ALL_ the fat-laden skin, then top it off with a glass of heavy cream (smoke at the table, too).  As long as you're not in cycle, you might as well polish off a bottle of wine, too.

More Snickers,
RJ

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2003, 4:38pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 7:00pm »

Cigarettes are a stimulant.  If you smoke more butts at the bar ya won't get as dumb-fuck ripped ??? ;D

Okay.  I don't think they are a player in the headache game we play.  Smokers smoke to deal with the situation.  Non smokers don't even remotely consider it.............. ;D

Will it worsen the headache?  I don't think so.
Will it shorten the duration of an attack?  Doubt it.

Do I smoke during an  attack? You betcha. ???

What does this mean?

Beats the shit outa me ;D
IP Logged
dulus
New Board Newbie

Sleep is all i seek

dulus1   Dulus
Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 8:56pm »

I have actually found that (and this may be my imagination) smoking during an attack sometimes helps... often if the beast is on his way out the door, having a smoke will give him a little push. But this may be just my imagination, or just me, or a smoke just gives me something to do with my hands during an attack to keep me from clawing my scalp off of my head.  

Dustin
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28th, 2003, 8:36am »

I gave up smoking 20 years ago and it didn't affect my headaches in any way.  

Having said that I think smoking is stoopid! As starfire says - us reformed smokers are the worst Smiley.  

If I go out to a place filled with smokers I do get a headache and feel lousy afterwards. Thank god for the legislation banning smoking at work and in public places! Kiss

But feel free to kill yourselves by a slow death. Smoking is good for you - just ask Philip Morris Undecided

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Tony_M
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 28th, 2003, 12:14pm »

I have had increasing cycles for 30 years but have turned chronic in 1996. Right now I am doing ok on Depakote but need to take 1500mg per day. 2000mg makes me nauseas. (sp?)

Anyway, I am new and figured I would throw that in. My question to this thread is, has anybody noticed any affects with less than legal smokables?
IP Logged
cluster0557
New Board Veteran

bedazzled1051
Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 28th, 2003, 10:25pm »

JM

You are right there is nothing worse than an ex smoker and you proved it.

I am also an ex smoker but if someone desires to smoke it is their business and right. If you can't take the smell then avoid the smoking lounge and bar.

Geez  aren't you JM Mr detox ?

What the heck are you doing around smoke ???
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2003, 10:40pm by cluster0557 » IP Logged

Jim
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #19 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 1:09am »

Yep Jim that's me.

I do avoid smoke filled places, but thankfully the law here has changed that for me and makes all the smoke junkies smoke on the street or in glass cages seperate from the rest of humanity. Shame.

I do agree that everyone should have the right and choice to smoke, but I have the right to breath clean air.

Tony - I smoked my share of weed in the past to see if it had a positive effect on the CH but I reckon it just made it worse. It never brought me the relief I was hoping for. Might help you with the nausea from the meds though? Again I believe you have the right to choose and it should be decriminalised. Just don't do it in a public place to avoid annoying non-smokersWink

As for the detox - well I am only trying to keep these fuckin headaches away. So far it is working for me thanks. If you don't like what I preach, then don't listen Angry
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
cluster0557
New Board Veteran

bedazzled1051
Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 8:47pm »

JM

Don't be so touchy. We all want are CH crap to go away. Just don't preach to the choir as they say.

All for now.
IP Logged

Jim
Ueli

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 11:29pm »

I sustain cluster0557   Cheesy

Clean air to breeze, would be nice, but ...

What about the stinking coal fired power plants? (But any decent tree hugger is of course against "atomic" energy.)

What about  the chemical warfare with artificial pheromones (aka perfumes, deodorants, all sorts of body lotions and detergent additives)? It are these that make people prone to all sorts of allergies.

What about the addicts of chewing gum, who's sight reminds of ruminants, that poison the surrounding with the stench of peppermint?  

I can cope with the ramblings of Charlie, but we sure can do without any disciples of him.  

I don't believe that the tobacco planters should go on welfare.    Grin

Ueli
IP Logged
cluster0557
New Board Veteran

bedazzled1051
Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 1st, 2003, 10:25pm »

Ueli,

Thanks for the support. There are few things in life that drive me nuts but JM got my buttons hot twice.

I can't handle anyone Preaching to me.

I hate any exsmokers who now want everything pure as the driven snow and preaches to the choir of ex and current smokers.

I grew up in a period of time where smokers sat in the back. This was trains,planes, and also movie theaters.

When I did not smoke I sat in front , When I smoked in back it was the place to be.

Now do gooders want all smokers to quit. If a smoker wants to gamble on their health they should be allowed to do it. Let them smoke in back or outside in peace.  

Ex smokers never say Im sorry I offended your air in the past .  

Enough venting.  

Smoking helped tame the beast for me. But thanks to the beast I no longer smoke. I was a smoker and could land up smoking at any time so unlike the preacher I stay away from it all together. I quit because with all the meds I wa in I could not taste a smoke. They no longer were something I liked so bye to them after 28 years. Goddamn Marine Corps got me started.

When I had bad cluster I would go outside and light up.  
After one or more cigaretes  i would feel a little calmer and that helped ease the pain.

The paradox is that I stopped smoling almost a year ago. On 02/23/02 I stopped smoking. Since then The beast must be confused since he wants to come out and play but their is no tobacco smell to urge him on.

The cluster pain became less severe once I stopped. It took about 45 days to feel the difference.  It was hard to not light one up. Still is....

So who knows whether smoking helps or hurts clusters.
Me I think it is all FM (FriggingMagic).

PFD to all. even snake oil peddlers.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2003, 7:49pm by cluster0557 » IP Logged

Jim
Tony_M
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 1st, 2003, 10:50pm »

An instant trigger for me is the sweet, cheap perfumy smell of a Macy's charge card bill. A great incentive to pay it off fast. It permeates throughout the house with it's sweet, pungunt vulgarity.
 Cool
IP Logged
b.bop
New Board Newbie

*blergle*

Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 2nd, 2003, 4:45pm »

Thanks for all your feedback and experiences, guys. As well as being helpful you've given me a few laughs along the way which is always appreciated. Cheers  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss