Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 7:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax users...what side effects did you have? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax users...what side effects did you have?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax users...what side effects did you have?  (Read 1947 times)
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

Topamax users...what side effects did you have?
« on: Aug 31st, 2004, 1:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am on the way to the Neuro today with some rough side effects..had to cut back and getting hit again...doing so messed up my 2 year pf combo....Seems like all of a sudden I am having some of the serious side effects from the stuff...I started out with a small dose but had moved up to a larger one as I was having some breakthrus....Then, I started having anxiety, muscle rigidity, and now periorbital pain....Anyone else experience any of these side effects?  Smileynancyc
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Topamax users...what side effects did you have
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 6:57pm »

My general Topa side effects:

A bit harder than usual to concentrate
A bit lethargic
Big on taking naps
Overall feeling of mental slowing
My head stopped hurting

Was taking 50mg in the AM & 50mg in the PM.

Found that 100mg in the late PM worked just as well, and I had fewer noticeable side effects in the waking hours.  
But I did really stupid things in my dreams.  Wink
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 8:00pm »

KIDNEY STONES    TWICE    THE FIRST TIME REQUIRING SURGERY !!

11 Months of TOPO got me nuthin but PAIN !!

Unsolved

Hope you do better.  
You'd better be drinking alot of water !!

Topamax & Kidney stones
About 1 in 50 adults taking Topamax have developed kidney stones. They are more common in men and in those who have had them before. They also may be more likely to occur if Diamox (acetazolamide) or Zonegran (zonisamide) is also taken or if the ketogenic diet (a special diet sometimes used to control seizures in children) is followed. Topamax therefore should be used cautiously in people taking Diamox or Zonegran or using the ketogenic diet.  
To help prevent kidney stones, drink plenty of water, juice, or other fluids (8 glasses every day for adults). Sharp pains in your side or lower back may signal the onset of a kidney stone. Consult a doctor immediately or go to the emergency room.
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 8:41pm »

I made it to forget my own name stage and quit.

John
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 9:01pm »

Hi Nancy,

What did the doc say about the side effects?  Eye pain with topamax can be scary...  The visual side effects don't happen very often, but if they do, they have to be addressed right away.

I took topamax on two separate occasions.  The first time, I stopped it after only a few weeks.  I was just on 25 mg and then because of numbness and tingling in my feet, I went off it.  I then was put on it again several months later and stayed on it for over 2 years.  I went up to 375mg.  My neuro told me to increase my potassium intake (through diet), and the numbness and tingling went away.  I had some weight loss with it.  The most significant side effect for me was memory/concentration loss.  I was put on Concerta to help combat this, and it really helped me a lot.  Unfortunately, topamax did not help me..at all.  So I went off it after over 2 years of staying on it..for no apparent reason!  hehe

Good luck!
Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 10:01pm »

He does not feel it is the topamax....He wants me in the hospital...started to admit me tonite as i did not get out of his office until after 6pm...but I begged him to wait until the morning as I had to get Toby to my son's house.  I got hit 7 times in the last 24 hours and took 1/2 imitrex each time...My Doc and I both are alittle worried about that one...but he knows I cant stand the pain...he has witnessed one of my attacks before. Please say a prayer that tonite will be better for me..If not, and if you dont hear from me tomorrow, then you will know I am in the Baptist Hospital in Columbia, SC...love you guys, smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31st, 2004, 10:09pm »

Hmmm... note that Topa has a therapeutic window.  Some have a worsening of attacks above a certain limit.

Lizzie reminded me of a side effect:
Loss of appetite
Food taste different... usually for the worse
And...
All carbonated beverages taste like ass
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
UN_SOLVED
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I need a fully-automatic Imitrex injector !!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 8:49am »

LOL Rock ! I remember that year now. I was confused all the time, forgetful and clumsy. I'd eat anything since all food and beverage tasted like 'ass'. I still had massive headaches everyday and night.

Then came the fun part  ~ The STONES !!

Unsolved
IP Logged

I'm STILL alive ?
clavers
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 8:57am »

I was insane for about three days (literally), then I lost my sense of taste and felt awful.  I continued to take the crap for about three months, it never did a thing to ease the CH's.
IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 9:47am »

Tried Topamax per witch doctors orders.After third day on medication,I got lost at a place that I've worked at for 32 years.Totally confused,didn't know my name...took about 48 hours to get it out of my system.Witch doctor gave it to me as a sample and did not give me any warning of what possible side effects to expect.I would be very cautious with this stuff.I've heard it is gocrazy the new wonder drug for migraines.But a tab of LSD would be safer.
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #10 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 10:33am »

It made just about everything taste like ASS
I had slurred speech and physical hallucinations.
Drowsy

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Jonny

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 11:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Sep 1st, 2004, 10:33am, mynm156 wrote:
It made just about everything taste like ASS

ROTFF!! Grin

.....................jonny
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 1st, 2004, 4:23pm »

Controlled seizures that were being caused by another medicine I was on.  Controlled my mood and stabalized that and helped with depression.  Made me dumb as a doorknob around 200mg and I went up to 600mg at one time and 200mg at another time.  Both times they made me stupid.  They can cause kidney stones?  Some kind of stones, anyway.  You need to drink lots of water while on it.  Good luck!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Sep 20th, 2004, 1:26am »

I'm new at this, but the main reason I joined in was to see what anyone had to say about Topamax. I'm on my 3rd week of 100mg and doing ok---just a couple break thrus. But I don't feel right---and very concerned about side effects in the long run. Should be happy--but feel down and have a dull constant regular headache. I'm due to see the Dr. next week----and would like some education before hand. I am not chronic. I'm in the 4th month of this episode---so it's time for it to go away.
Would you stay on this drug all year----it makes you feel like a vegtable? or should I be grateful for the relief and follow Dr.s advice??? Huh
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?

Cluster Buster
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #14 on: Sep 20th, 2004, 1:39am »

Be well, Nancy.  hug hug
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 20th, 2004, 9:49pm »

I took it for my epilepsy. It worked wonders. Unfortunately, it made me forgetful and a teensy paranoid. I'm not one to worry much but this drug made me nervous. It also caused a ringing in my ears that was like Westminster chimes. LOUD. I had to quit.

On the other hand, it's a hell of a diet pill and some people have no serious side-effects. I'm hoping you're one of them.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
JennyWV
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Sep 22nd, 2004, 1:18pm »

Hi all....

I've been on Topamax for a month now.  Started at 50 mg/day, am currently on 100 mg/day, moving up to 150 mg/day tomorrow (I think).  Always thirsty, have lost some weight (no clue how much because I'm too tired to even stand on a scale).  Holy cow, is narcolepsy a side effect?  I have never been so constantly tired in my entire life.  I have no energy at all.  Haven't had any headaches, but that could be because all I do is sleep.  

sleep
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #17 on: Sep 22nd, 2004, 7:40pm »

OK _ I have a question.  Huh Have those of you who think stuff tastes like as ever actually tasted assor is this just a guess? laugh
IP Logged

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 8:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Sep 22nd, 2004, 7:40pm, nani wrote:
OK _ I have a question.  Huh Have those of you who think stuff tastes like as ever actually tasted assor is this just a guess? laugh

Taste like your ass    laugh

unsolved
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #19 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 8:51am »

Oh I don't know. I'm guessing mine would be very sweet...just like me laugh
IP Logged

nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Sep 25th, 2004, 9:31am »

Grin Shocked
IP Logged
reptile
New Board Newbie

life is the school; love is the lesson

Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 12:29am »

Topomax at 150 mg/day was the fucking scariest med I have ever taken.  Knocked the CH's out, but made me SO stupid, SO depressed and SO emotionally uneasy that I was  actually happy to go off of it, even if it meant going back to daily battles with the beast.  God it was wretched.  HOWEVER, I am now taking 12.5 mg one day and 25 mg the next, along with 9 mg of Melatonin before bed and for several days now have been mostly pain free.  I still get weird mood flashes that I know are the topo,  and I feel a little disoriented and slow/stupid several times a day--but those side effects SEEM to be be getting better.  FYI, I am also taking verpamil and indicin as preventatives.  I feel for all you guys and include everyone in my daily healng meditations.
IP Logged

thee werido still known by some as thee reptile
WuWei
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 9:32pm »

According to the manufacturer, patients are supposed to start at 25 to 50 mg of topamax a day, then add 25 to 50 more per week. Unfortunately doctors sometimes start patients at 100 mg because that's one tablet size, and lots of people have problems with that.

Some people get relief from as little as 25 or 50 mg. If someone is totally devastated by strong CHs, then maybe they want the higher dose and don't care about the side-effects. But other people who need to function at work and have milder or less frequent headaches might ask for a smaller dose if they have problems.

I took it during my last cluster which was #10 clusters sometimes six a day. Topamax broke the cluster within 48 hours. There were a few headaches in the next week but it was over.

I am chronic and used topamax at another time for milder clusters. It wasn't very helpful and I did have symptoms like others have reported here of anxiety and forgetfulness. The food taste was the most amazing one. Most things were just tasteless or tasted slightly bad, it it tough to describe. But carbonated soda pop was absolutely awful. Drinking liquid chalk would be the closest way to describe it.

IP Logged
markg111
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #23 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 1:34pm »

my SE's included:
tingling in the feet and hands
loss of appetite
food tasted like crap
vision seemed to be staggered

.... no longer on it.... I didn't notice any improvements...was taking 150mg a day
IP Logged
allan_r
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #24 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 9:27pm »

I started a month ago having lost the effectiveness of verapamil -- the headaches switched to chronic nine months ago.  

So far, the topamax gave a week or so of what is best described as mental slowness- i felt a second behind the world for the first week on the medication.

The tingling in the lips and extremities was intermittent and went away after the first few weeks.  

I am currently raising the dose 25 mg per week to 200 per day 100 at night. 100 am.    

It has seemed to tamed the CH -- no full blown headaches, which have come nightly--- mostly 7-9 pm and have either been mildly annoying or, like now, have been very symptomatic with eye watering and short bursts of intense pain (akin to contractions ?) every few minutes).  This lasts up to one to two hours.  No analgesic seems to help.  

No pacing or emergency room required and my wife and child can stand me at least.  
Oh for the bygone days of the twice annual visits.  At least they went away.

Then only lasting side effect has been the taste issue.  I believe this is caused because the drug actually alters the ph balance of your body, making it slightly more acidic.  I may be wrong, but that is what the neurologist told me.  

Hope that you are having luck with the med Nancyc.  I know this reply is months after the original post.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss