Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 10:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Chinese Medicine »


   Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Chinese Medicine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chinese Medicine  (Read 1931 times)
Ueli
Guest

Email

Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #25 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 1:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Foreword for Nani: Do not read this post. It contains some long winded arguments, and therefore, it's not suitable for folks with such an open mind that most of the brains fell out. Keep your picking on me to the general board, and leave this board to people who can develop trains of thought that are longer than what can be written on a lapel button.
 
 
Floridian, I don't agree with your argumentation on evolution:
Quote:
Evolution can lead to intricately beautiful mechanisms, but it is blind. Of what evolutionary significance is the appendix, or vestigal toes?
Evolution is branching out and adapting to needs of a new niche in the environment. Quite a bit of evolutional history is repeated during development a foetus. As an example, in the early stages the human foetus has 5 slits on each side of the head, reminiscent of the gills of fishes. The first vertebrate animals had 5 digits on each extremity, for this reason or that, probably by pure chance. This number of fingers/toes has been retained by all vertebrate up to now. For some animals, like the horse, it was advantageous to walk/run on a single toe, so this one increased in size while the other 4 shriveled to insignificance. On one time during evolution the precursor of our appendix had some useful function too, the same as the coccyx. So, vestigal toes, appendix and coccyx are not a dead-end of evolution taking a wrong turn, but the remains of features no longer useful. It hurts like hell if you slip on ice and knock you coccyx. But the evolutionary pressure is not strong enough to eliminate this useless appendage completely (especially as there is hardly any ice in the African savanna). Same for vestigal toes and appendix, not enough evolutionary pressure.
 
Our nerve system is such a complex contraption that it can not be modelled by all the computers in the world together. Therefore, it's not surprising that it is not debugged completely. As an example, it can only identify one source of pain at a time, the nearest one to the brain (hence the advice 'to clench one's teeth' and not be a wimp). Our visual system, that serves us well for every day situations, can be fooled by craftily designed optical illusions. I put the Bubba effect in the same corner as optical illusions, something with just not enough pressure to warrant a special evolutionary effort.
 
Now, the system of meridians and chi is comparable to the complexity of our blood circulation system. And yet, there was no benefit from it until someone, after millions of years of development, discovered chi and found a way of its manipulation. The very nature of chi escapes me. It's akin to the 'soul', either you believe in it, if indoctrination could get a foothold, or you relegate it to the realm of the unenlightened dark ages.
 
Quote:
Does it disturb you that CH is treated with migraine medicines, blood pressure medicines, nerve blocks and ablations, anti-epilepsy medicines, atypical antipsychotic medicines and plain oxygen?
No. As we can't treat (yet) the cause of CH, we must rely on fighting the symptoms. We can try to break the feedback loop by constricting the vessels with Imitrex or oxygen; we prevent the vessels from expanding with verapamil. Anti-epilepsy and antipsychotic medicines try to limit the rapid fluctuations of the many neurotransmitters that get active during a cluster attack. But the different schools of acupuncture are more like the differences between Roman Catholics and Calvinists.  
 
But that said, I don't want to deter anybody from trying acupuncture. I merely give a warning that they might waste time with an unproven method, suffering needless pain while delaying proven remedies.
 
 
PFNADs, Ueli                 smokin
 
 
(Nani, STFU, you're playing in a much inferior league)
   
IP Logged
don
Guest

Email

Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #26 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 7:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For Ueli.
 
Then start a new thread. The author of this one in 15 for Christs sake.
 
Your highly intellectual dialogue with Floridian probably wont help him much.
IP Logged
cray
New Board Newbie
Australia 
*



I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

   
Email

Gender: male
Posts: 40
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #27 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 7:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well said Don. If i were michael,s family reading those stats ireckon i,d go east also.
IP Logged
Ueli
Guest

Email

Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #28 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 11:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For Don.
 
Thanks, good advice from the master of hijacking.  Shocked
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****




Got kudzu?

   
WWW

Gender: female
Posts: 7953
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #29 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 11:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hmmm...didn't we get this thread back on track once before by pointing out the age of the poster? I think it's our job to write to the reader...and actually answer the questions posed. A simple..."I would" or "I wouldn't" with a brief explanation would suffice.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
don
Guest

Email

Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #30 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 11:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Thanks, good advice from the master of hijacking

 
Yeah I'm pretty good at that but not from a 15 year old kid looking for help.
IP Logged
Ueli
Guest

Email

Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #31 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 9:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

STFU Nani and Don, you canting hypocrites!
 
But before you do, Don, teach me how look into the future, how to know that a poster is going to reveal his age a day later and what it will be.
 
All I did was to point out some inconsistencies in the original post and issue a warning against jumping on the "alternative" bandwagon.  
 
Then came Nani who gave the thread a vicious twist. As she is obviously not able to follow an argument longer than two sentences, she resorted to insulting me, blaming me of corruption.
 
About 20 posts later, when the thread had long ago gone astray, I answered some of Floridian's question, something some dumbasses apparently couldn't follow.
 
Duh...
IP Logged
don
Guest

Email

Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #32 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 9:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Your a real happy old fella arent you?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****




Got kudzu?

   
WWW

Gender: female
Posts: 7953
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #33 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 10:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sending vibes and positive energy....
I think I'll light a candle and swing a crystal over it chanting for inner peace for you...
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****



withered branches grow green again.

   


Gender: male
Posts: 6184
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #34 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 11:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 30th, 2004, 11:59am, MichaelEaston wrote:
and now Verapamil, except at a higher dose than before (I now take 480mg a day..the first time it was much lower) I believe this treatment has helped the most although it has barely helped at all.

 
Michael,
 
I've been through similar preventatives with the same result as you, none.  Then... the verapil, 360mg then to 480mg, no significant difference.  Ok, nothing to lose, 600mg verapamil.  BINGO.  Big difference, for the first time.  
  The last eight episodes of "other experiments" in eight years, with the O2 and trex always ready and used many multiple times daily each; I thought that is how it is always been and going to be
   It could happen, there's that possibility out there.  Last episode, I was ready to say verapamil didn't work for me when the nine month cycle ended on it's own, the whole time unrelenting.  This cycle, it's different now, for the first time.  This is just an example.
 
 
 
Kevin M
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2005, 11:35pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****




If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Gender: male
Posts: 2217
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #35 on: Jan 4th, 2005, 11:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Asian Medicine, not Chinese Medicine, Asian Medicine. Get with the politically correct program, folks.
 
Nay vote here on accupuncture. Was referred to a "teacher" of the art. Three months, and $800 later, I was no better, even tho it was only supposed to take 4 weeks and $100.  
My "Chi" problem was supposed to be located at C1-C2. The neurosurgeon whittled some bone out of the way on C4-C5, and did a nerve decompression on the elbow. Good to go.
Not to hard deciding who was right.
 
Costly lesson. Ain't discussing filthy chiro's,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
calebgg
New Board Newbie
Hong_Kong 
*



Searching for the true cluster buster

   
Email

Gender: male
Posts: 8
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #36 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 8:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I tried accupuncture in 1999 - it was for my second bout of CH. At that point, the doctor I was going to had never heard of CH. So, I thought "How about accupuncture" since he couldn't come up with any meds. I went. Since I had to schedule appointments, it obviously could not be of use during an attack. However, I do feel like the once weekly experiment was relaxing, and helped relieve stress. The headaches stopped coming everyday, and eventually ended. I do not know (or feel) that there was a direct connection. I feel like I simply happened to start the accupuncture at the time that my episode was winding down. That said, it was relaxing and I did enjoy it.
--calebgg
IP Logged

Searcing for the true cluster buster
iJun G4
New Board Junior

**





   


Gender: male
Posts: 58
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #37 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 11:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I spend less time here by virtue of Chinese Medicine (acupuncture & Chinese herbs) compared to many of the guys who hang around this site on a permanent basis.  
 
It's the same for anyone who has success Chinese Medicine; there's not much reason to have to come back here to voice their opinion.  
 
I always find it odd that acupuncture in particular is rejected--even by those who are influential in the CH community--despite the undeniable fact that it does work for at least some people.  
 
Most people who try acupuncture and don't see total improvement within 24 hrs assume acupuncture doesn't work.  Since when are Western doctors and treatments 100% effective?  If we used *that* standard, there are certainly all sorts of doctors (both GP and the so-called HA specialists) who misdiagnose CH as wrong types of HA, and even with a correct CH diagnosis, they prescribe drugs that are either mostly or totally ineffective.  Are all docs quacks because of this?  Are all medications useless just because some don't work?  
 
Can you say "over-generalization error"?
 
I use both Western and Chinese Medicine, btw.  Imitrex and oxygen are fine for aborting.  But it's clearly only the Chinese Medicine which manages to reduce the frequency and severity of the attacks within a cycle, and also manages to prolong the HA-free period between cycles.  That's a fundamental improvement.
 
If Western medical knowledge is so great that the understanding of CH is superior to Chinese Medicine, then why the heck hasn't any drug company found a perfect, synthesized cure for CH already?  
 
What about shroom therapy, which seems much more effective compared to synthesized drugs for preventative.  Besides the fact that they happen to be illegal now, shroom therapy seems awfully similar to Chinese herbal medicine in methodology.  Come to think of it, why are natural remedies so marginalized and kept illegal?  Could it be because drug companies only want to sell what's made in the lab, and nothing natural could possibly be superior to a man-made drug with all of its ill side-effects?
 
Even the effectiveness of many Western drugs and treatments are only empirical test data of things that happened to work, and researchers can then make a best-guess at what the underlying mechanism could be.  
 
Being an ancient form of medicine, Chinese Medicine doesn't pretend it can explain its effectiveness in modern scientific terms.  But at least it is surprisingly consistent within its own terminology at a level which far surpasses the constant guessing game found in Western medicine.  In the end--who cares, as long as it works!
 
Those of you out there who reject Chinese Medicine without really trying it or just happened to find an acupuncturist with insufficient knowledge or technique (never happens with docs, neuros, and pharmacists, right?) do not have the right to say universally that Chinese Medicine does not work for CH, because there are clearly people out there like me who have found this to be highly effective.  You have to do your homework and find a good acupuncturist, just like finding a good neuro.  You have to find the right words to communicate so the acunpuncturist can lead you to an effective treatment, just like with any doctor.  But the simplistic and closed-minded blanket negative statements about Chinese Medicine does a huge, huge disservice to the community of CH sufferers who might otherwise likely find a highly effective treatment for themselves.  
 
Anyway, I'm logging out after this; my cycles are cake compared to what they were before I started acupuncture.  I don't have much need to hang around here any more.  Seems obvious to me that acupuncture and shrooms are just about the only ways to fundamentally improve the CH condition, to the point where the word "cure" might even be applicable in the long-run.  Acupuncture is no magic mushroom, but it is legal.  You owe it to yourself to find a way to make acupuncture work for you.  It's no harder than finding a good neuro.
 
IP Logged

=====
Clusterheads are warriors who fight unbearable pain every day to stay alive.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****





   


Gender: male
Posts: 5747
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #38 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 1:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 7th, 2005, 11:27pm, iJun G4 wrote:
I spend less time here by virtue of Chinese Medicine (acupuncture & Chinese herbs) compared to many of the guys who hang around this site on a permanent basis.  
Hang around? What the fuck do you mean by that? It sounds as if you inferring that the "guys" are just a bunch of losers with nothing better to do. The ones that are here regularly are here for a reason. A big reason. To help others that are suffering. They are not here to spout off about some fuckin’ Chinaman sticking needles in them and then claiming it will cure clusters.
 
It's the same for anyone who has success Chinese Medicine; there's not much reason to have to come back here to voice their opinion.  
If there is no reason to come here and voice an opinion then why the fuck are you here running your big mouth?
 
If Western medical knowledge is so great that the understanding of CH is superior to Chinese Medicine, then why the heck hasn't any drug company found a perfect, synthesized cure for CH already?  One word, money.  
It's the way the capitalist system works, dumb ass. Do the Chinese miracle workers give away their services for free?

 
Anyway, I'm logging out after this; I don't have much need to hang around here any more.  

And we don't have any need for you to hang around here any more.
Now please do as you said you would.........and LOG OUT! as$hole.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2005, 1:23am by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
don
Guest

Email

Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #39 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 9:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Anyway, I'm logging out after this; my cycles are cake compared to what they were before I started acupuncture.

 
Didn't know sinus headaches came in cyles. HMMM.
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****



withered branches grow green again.

   


Gender: male
Posts: 6184
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #40 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 10:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 7th, 2005, 11:27pm, iJun G4 wrote:
It's the same for anyone who has success Chinese Medicine;  
I always find it odd that acupuncture in particular is rejected--
--despite the undeniable fact that it does work for at least some people.
I was looking for some facts with statistics in your post concerning this, but they seem to be not here.  So far, its seems to be just the same two or three people making testaments, or perhaps simply plying their practice.
 
Quote:
even with a correct CH diagnosis, they prescribe drugs that are either mostly or totally ineffective.
 Let me explain this gem with your own words
Quote:
Can you say "over-generalization error"?

 
Quote:
I use both Western and Chinese Medicine, btw.  Imitrex and oxygen are fine for aborting.
 I see.  So picking and choosing what works from Western medicine is ok when the going gets rough.  And I'm sure it was your acupunturist who introduced you to oxygen too, huh?
 
 
 
Quote:
Being an ancient form of medicine, Chinese Medicine doesn't pretend it can explain its effectiveness in modern scientific terms.  But at least it is surprisingly consistent within its own terminology at a level which far surpasses the constant guessing game found in Western medicine.
I guess this explains the Imitrex use? 
 
 
Quote:
the simplistic and closed-minded blanket negative statements about Chinese Medicine...

I see a close-minded blanket of negative statements about Western medicine.  
 
 
Quote:
anyway, I'm logging out after this;

I see this statement is as true as the rest of your post.  Still here.   Grin
 
 
 
Kevin M
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2005, 8:49am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Ueli
Guest

Email

Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #41 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 1:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This iJun guy is so eloquent in defending this ancient "art", that he surely could explain (with the same good "reasons" and "evidence" ) why we still should stick to a flat earth view (at least 10000 years old) and discard modern devices, from the astrolabe to satellite navigation, because they rely on erroneous foundations.  
 
Here's an old outpouring of the same guy, from a time when he hadn't yet tried acupuncture:
on Jun 17th, 2003, 10:49am, ijunG4 wrote:
...First of all, acupuncture depends heavily on the correct knowledge of which "points" to use for a particular ailment.  If the acupuncturist has the wrong knowledge or assumptions about treating CH, this will not work.  
 
Second of all, even if the correct points are known to the acupuncturist, it does not mean that the needles will be successfully applied to the exact location needed.  It's not like these points are marked with a big "X" on our bodies, and the points will vary from individual to individual.  So the execution of the knowledge is important also.
...
If you try acupuncture and it does not work the first time, don't write off acupuncture itself; perhaps let the acupuncturist know, or try a different acupuncturist. ...
In a nutshell: Acupuncture is a cut and try method. If you don't get the desired results within a few weeks try another needle artist, until one trial of the favored treatment coincides with the natural end of a CH cycle, then shout SUCCESS!  
Sorry, but I rather rely in proven, western treatments. Otherwise I would be trying the 70th acupuncturist, and would have suffered in the 6 years I'm chronic about 6570 Kip#10's. Thanks to western medications the number of #10's in 6 years was ... drum roll ... zero.
 
BTW, did you notice that iJun's post is in the true spirit of a snake oil pedlar: Lots of hints and hidden accusations towards the opposition, without any proofs, as usual. Lots of unsubstantiated claims for his side, and of course making out of one (fortuitous) result a statistic of 100% success. Roll Eyes
 
 
BTW2, iJun, on 07/01/03, you wrote an equally frenetic praise on cranio sacral therapy. Did this give you the same good results as acupuncture?
Ueli                 smokin
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****




CHit Happens

    alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Gender: male
Posts: 4401
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 11:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

pretty good detective work there Ueli.
danke
IP Logged


never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
CC2004
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
New_Zealand 
**





   


Gender: female
Posts: 91
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 4:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

what about poor young Michael - does anyone know???
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****



withered branches grow green again.

   


Gender: male
Posts: 6184
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 7:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

[quote author=iJun G4 link=board=meds;num=1104271237;start=25#37 date=01/07/05 at 23:27:25]
 
 
deleted, misdirected
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2005, 11:44pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****




Got kudzu?

   
WWW

Gender: female
Posts: 7953
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 7:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No...Michael is the 15 year old who asked the original question. I have a feeling he won't be back.  Cry
 
Would you come back if this was the response to your first question?
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
don
Guest

Email

Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 8:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You dont suppose the egocentric intellectual jousting scared him off do you?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****




Got kudzu?

   
WWW

Gender: female
Posts: 7953
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 8:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You think?
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****



withered branches grow green again.

   


Gender: male
Posts: 6184
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 11:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 10th, 2005, 7:54pm, nani wrote:
No...Michael is the 15 year old who asked the original question. I have a feeling he won't be back.  Cry
 
Would you come back if this was the response to your first question?

 
 
thank you Nani, Don.        
 
deleted misdirected post.
 
 
Kevin M
 
 
 
 
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2005, 12:08am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 
*****




Got kudzu?

   
WWW

Gender: female
Posts: 7953
Re: Chinese Medicine
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 11:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks, kevin...but your post was not the problem with this thread.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »


Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.


©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss