Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Sex as a trigger? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Supporter's Corner
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   Sex as a trigger?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sex as a trigger?  (Read 1824 times)
Dianne too
New Board Newbie
USA 

Support and love

Sex as a trigger?
« on: May 9th, 2005, 9:19am »

Hi! I don't know if this is an odd topic or not, but . . .
has anyone noticed that a headache often (usually) follows an orgasm? I know there are no triggers per se, but this seems to happen pretty regularly!
Dianne
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Sex as a trigger?
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2005, 9:38am »

You'll have to provide more information about your orgasms. You know....how do you acheve it, alone or with whom, how many, etc. Pictures would give us a better insight into your "trigger".

I'm just kidding  Grin

You're not the first to say a orgasm triggers a cluster. And some say sex will stop a cluster but I believe that if someone is having sex during headache attack then they don't have clusters.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2005, 3:55pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Dianne too
New Board Newbie
USA 

Support and love

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2005, 10:28am »

Very funny! I wish sex stopped an attack! But it's actually that there is no   sign of a headache until right after or shortly after an orgasm.
Trying to have sex during a cycle is, at least on our part, one small way of trying to maintain a semblance of a normal life.
I can't imagine trying to have sex during an attack.
Dianne
p.s. sorry . . . I'm camera shy.
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 9th, 2005, 10:39am »

I just read an article about orgasm-induced-headaches . . .tonight, when I get home, I'll try to locate it and post it here.  
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #4 on: May 9th, 2005, 1:43pm »

I know of one sufferer that sex is a definate trigger for, perhaps he will come along and share his insight with you.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 9th, 2005, 2:51pm »

absolutely - cluster pain is escalated when blood pressure raises (thus a huge reason to teach yourself to stay calm during attack if at all possible), so guess what else goes up during sex?  Yep, blood pressure. Wink
Adds a whole new angle to supporter guilt.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #6 on: May 9th, 2005, 2:59pm »

on May 9th, 2005, 2:51pm, Margi wrote:
so guess what else goes up during sex?   

You had me hanging on the answer to that question Margi! I thought you were going to post an x-rated one there ya' dirty ole gal you!
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Dianne too
New Board Newbie
USA 

Support and love

« Reply #7 on: May 9th, 2005, 10:27pm »

All this news is not good. Beyond not good. So you are all saying that for the six or so weeks of a cycle, my beloved and I should abstain?
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #8 on: May 10th, 2005, 9:01am »

on May 9th, 2005, 10:27pm, Dianne too wrote:
All this news is not good. Beyond not good. So you are all saying that for the six or so weeks of a cycle, my beloved and I should abstain?

No, not saying that at all.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 10th, 2005, 9:39am »

Nope, Dianne - just let him lead.

And, just so you know - the word "trigger" is a real dicey one.  There IS only one known trigger for cluster and that is nitro-glycerine.  It will trigger an attack for a clusterhead even OUT of cycle.  To our knowledge there is nothing else that will do that.

Now, having said all that - there are numerous things that a clusterhead is sensitive to while in cycle - sleep, alcohol, MSG, yeast, sugar, dairy - it's a long list and different for a lot of people.  Sleep, Alcohol and MSG are probably the top three though.  But you know what?  Your clusterhead is going to get attacks no matter what he does.  He can abstain from anything he recognizes that makes him more vulnerable to attack but ... sadly, he's still going to get hit.  It's just a fact of cluster life - when a clusterhead is in cycle, there's not much we've found yet that will let him have that cycle completely pain free.

What treatment program is he using?  That's your best defense, is to find something that helps him get through it all.  Here's some effective routes - different results for different people but quite high success rates for the norm.

1.  Abortives:  Oxygen, Imitrex (or other triptans).
2.  Preventatives:  Verapamil, Lithium, Sansert (only in Canada though anymore I believe).
3.  Preventative Alternatives:  Kudzu, Psilocybin Mushrooms.  

It does take a while to find his magic bullet - for my husband it's been lithium pulsing this cycle.  Next cycle, it might be something different.
IP Logged

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

yikes-another-one
New Board Old Timer
USA 

dancenshout2002   joyflheart2004
Email

« Reply #10 on: May 15th, 2005, 5:07pm »

I think I am lucky I am the one to get the clusters.
Even though my hubby claims nothing will stop him form having sex....and he proved to me, when he had back surgery...and within a week or two was back in the saddle....

I have been extremely lucky ot only get one or two
terrible hits just after sex....and if you live lifeas if it is your last day on earth....sex with a headache is better than no sex at all..... Wink

Like Margi said, you get hit no matter what.
so enjoy your life as best you can....
guilt free and with lots of whipped cream....(just kidding)
IP Logged

Psalm 23 - Goodness and mercy shall follow US all the days of our lives and WE will dwell in the house of LOVE forever.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #11 on: May 18th, 2005, 2:18pm »

As if the normal attacks weren't bad enough, headaches during/after sex really further screw up what quality of life you are able to maintain.  As has been stated there is a thing called a "sex headache" (among other names).

Google is a great search engine for finding information.  Here are a few links to this type of headache.

http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/?article=difficulty&refid=009

http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-1077-1714,1228 5.asp

http://www.embarrassingproblems.com/headachesex.htm

IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 18th, 2005, 3:50pm »

on May 18th, 2005, 2:18pm, Gator wrote:
http://www.embarrassingproblems.com/

geez, Gator, what ever made you find THAT website? I couldn't help myself, I had to go look.  I'm really sorry if you have a reason to frequent that website.  That's quite the list of maladies, Mike!  If you've got ANYthing on that list, man oh man, it really sucks to be you, buddy!  Wink  

IP Logged

source unknown

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #13 on: May 18th, 2005, 4:07pm »

yeah Margi, now that site is in your browser "history".  one of the family will get a kick out of checking that and wondering what's up? laugh laugh laugh
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Zephrah
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Unto everything, there is a season"

redlyiness  
Email

« Reply #14 on: May 18th, 2005, 4:48pm »

Embarassed my sufferer told me that he knew sex would make his CH's worse.  he was exhausted most of the time when his cycle peaked anyway.  Sad  This didn't sit well with me at first, we've only been together a few months.  He made an effort to do and say other things to make me feel loved.   Smiley
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #15 on: May 19th, 2005, 9:29am »

on May 18th, 2005, 4:07pm, seasonalboomer wrote:
yeah Margi, now that site is in your browser "history".  one of the family will get a kick out of checking that and wondering what's up? laugh laugh laugh

nope, checked it from work.  Even BETTER!  Keep 'em wondering...LOL
IP Logged

source unknown

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: May 19th, 2005, 1:31pm »

And if all of the above discussion isn't bad enough... there was a theory brought up  at the convention in Vancouver a few yrs. ago that clusterheads have an unusually high libido too.   Shocked

Remember that Margi?   Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #17 on: May 19th, 2005, 3:21pm »

absolutely, Luinda, it nearly brought the house down when our Italian brother, Davide, asked Doc Robinson if it's true that clusterheads are oversexed.  I think we reached unanimous agreement on that point and gave the good doctor a hearty laugh!  Wink

IP Logged

source unknown

Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: May 21st, 2005, 3:45pm »

Cluster Headaches and the preventatives there of have ruined my sex life........ bummer.......!!!  

and if you tell Dave I told you this I will deny deny deny...

ree admitting that life sux......
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #19 on: May 23rd, 2005, 10:27am »

on May 18th, 2005, 3:50pm, Margi wrote:

geez, Gator, what ever made you find THAT website? I couldn't help myself, I had to go look.  I'm really sorry if you have a reason to frequent that website.  That's quite the list of maladies, Mike!  If you've got ANYthing on that list, man oh man, it really sucks to be you, buddy!  Wink  

No "Sex Headaches" here, Margi.  You have to have sex to get them, right?  LMAO  I just Googled "Sex Headache" and those are a few of the links that came up.  

I've always thought the notion of clusterheads being oversexed was strange.  Between 5 attacks per day and the cluster meds - 99% of which have some sexual side effects - there's not been a lot of excitement in the bedroom over the last 18 months.  A good day can lead to a really good night now and then Grin  but those have been fewer and farther between than either of us would like.  I suspect the story is the same in a lot more cluster households than anyone would admit.  It's not "manly" to admit anything could interfere with one's ability to have or enjoy sex.  I am somewhat embarassed to admit it myself, but to me the truth is more important than what someone might think of me.

Dianne, hang in there.  From your posts, it sounds like it only happens when he is in cycle.  It will get better - at least for y'all, the cycle will end and you'll be able to make up for lost time.  Doesn't THAT sound fun?  In the meantime, like Margi said, let him lead and keep in mind that you are not doing this to him.  It's not your fault.  It's not his either.  What meds is he taking?  Maybe he could change his dosing times so that he has the maximum amount of meds in his system during the time when the two of you are likely to have sex.  There are also other things you can do to reduce the tension.  Have you met BOB, yet?  BOB can help get you through the rough patches while your man is in cycle and add another dimension to your sexual play when he's out of cycle.  You and he need to have some heart to heart discussions about what is going on, how you both feel about the situation and what steps the two of you can take to help y'all get through this.

IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jun 22nd, 2005, 9:15pm »

Well. This all explains why I've been pain free for a while now.

I'd like to research this a little futher though.

Researcher seeking researchee's
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2005, 9:20pm by don » IP Logged
Belka
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Jun 23rd, 2005, 2:00pm »

My husband and I have just figured out that he is not crazy, but gets cluster headaches. Before we figured out what kind of headaches he was getting, we were trying to figure out any "trigger" that might be causing them. He is currently clustering, and we did notice he would get worse headaches after we had sex. We started joking, "Not tonight, Dear, I'll get a headache!" Of course, I think a lot of it is the fact that the only time we can have sex is before we go to bed when our 2 1/2 year old is asleep, and he has a tendency to almost always get a headache about 1 hour after going to bed. With us, it seems like sex intensifies the attack, but doesn't bring it on. We keep trying anyway, just to see if our theory is right!   Grin
IP Logged
Happeh
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 1:02am »

on Jun 23rd, 2005, 2:00pm, Belka wrote:
My husband and I have just figured out that he is not crazy, but gets cluster headaches. Before we figured out what kind of headaches he was getting, we were trying to figure out any "trigger" that might be causing them. He is currently clustering, and we did notice he would get worse headaches after we had sex. We started joking, "Not tonight, Dear, I'll get a headache!"

With us, it seems like sex intensifies the attack, but doesn't bring it on. We keep trying anyway, just to see if our theory is right!   Grin

All of you are correct. I do not know why you do not have the self confidence to trust your own discoveries. Doctors do not know everything. As adults you must trust yourself even if your decision contradicts common advice.

It is my personal belief that doctors and hospitals are in business to make money. It is also my personal belief that western medicine doctors do not have a correct body view to diagnose health problems such as these.

IMHO, yes it is sex that is causing the headaches. The most simple way to describe is like this.

Inside your belly is an air tank. This air tank needs a certain amount of pressure for your body to work properly just like a tire needs a certain amount of pressure to work properly. This air tank feed air pressure to the rest of the body. The arms, legs, head and genitals.

In a healthy person, this airtank is full and the body is always producing enough "air" to keep it full. An unhealthy person either does not have enough air pressure or their body does not replenish it fast enough.

What happens when you get a headache is simple. Your brain has lost air pressure. For whatever reason, ill health or some other factor, your brain or perhaps the main air pressure in your belly "tank" has gone down. This is where sex enters the picture.

The sex organs are a pressure relief valve for the air tank in your belly. In a healthy person, with the air being replenished all of the time, the persons body is full of energy. If they have to much energy, they can bleed off the excess thru sex. It is just like a pressure cooker bleeding off excess steam with the valve on top.

In a person with low air pressure, if they have sex, their air tank goes "empty". Their air pressure is so low that there is not enough to inflate the brain. The brain responds by getting very bad headaches.

It is not air pressure in your body. It is energy. There are a couple of different permutations of this example that all cause headaches. A person who is tight, with lots of "air pressure" inside of them will get headaches. The pressure is too much for the brain to handle. There is the low air pressure person example above.

Another example that people must be honest about is the amount of sex. A person engaging in excessive sex is more prone to have problems. This is because their "air tank" becomes malformed from the excessive sex. Instead of the air tank being a round cylinder like a propane tank, the "air tank" in the belly might get dents or bumps or change shape totally. This odd shaped "air tank" causes pressure buildups within the body in abnormal places. Places not designed for high pressure. This places can cause pain under that too high pressure.

I would be interested in talking about this subject with people. I would like to hear some specifics about areas of the head that the headaches strike, type of work and play you engage in,(are you hard work hard exercise, or desk work watch TV person), body type(Thin and bony or heavy and meaty) and, if it is not too personal, sexual activity frequency.

IMHO, people should notice an increase in headache severity or frequency if they participate in frequent sex. Sex in this usage includes masturbation.

I had incredible headaches for years the doctor could not fix. I finally had to cure them myself. The doctor threw her hands in the air and said there was nothing she could do. She was a good doctor. It was not because she was a bad doctor. She tried everything and nothing worked.

I had to figure it out myself if I wanted relief. That is why I say you are adults. You must trust what your own decisions tell you, even if it goes against common wisdom. Many people do not accept my explanations. All I know is that I get headaches maybe once every 6 months where I used to eat Ibuprofen, Advil and pain medication for snacks.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2005, 1:03am by Happeh » IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 8:14am »

on Aug 2nd, 2005, 1:02am, Happeh wrote:
What happens when you get a headache is simple. Your brain has lost air pressure. For whatever reason, ill health or some other factor, your brain or perhaps the main air pressure in your belly "tank" has gone down. This is where sex enters the picture.

wrong...

The sex organs are a pressure relief valve for the air tank in your belly. In a healthy person, with the air being replenished all of the time, the persons body is full of energy. If they have to much energy, they can bleed off the excess thru sex. It is just like a pressure cooker bleeding off excess steam with the valve on top.

bzzzzzzzzzzt.... wrong again.

In a person with low air pressure, if they have sex, their air tank goes "empty". Their air pressure is so low that there is not enough to inflate the brain. The brain responds by getting very bad headaches.

lay off the glue

It is not air pressure in your body. It is energy. There are a couple of different permutations of this example that all cause headaches. A person who is tight, with lots of "air pressure" inside of them will get headaches. The pressure is too much for the brain to handle. There is the low air pressure person example above.

Another example that people must be honest about is the amount of sex. A person engaging in excessive sex is more prone to have problems. This is because their "air tank" becomes malformed from the excessive sex. Instead of the air tank being a round cylinder like a propane tank, the "air tank" in the belly might get dents or bumps or change shape totally. This odd shaped "air tank" causes pressure buildups within the body in abnormal places. Places not designed for high pressure. This places can cause pain under that too high pressure.

IMHO, people should notice an increase in headache severity or frequency if they participate in frequent sex. Sex in this usage includes masturbation.

I had to figure it out myself if I wanted relief. That is why I say you are adults. You must trust what your own decisions tell you, even if it goes against common wisdom. Many people do not accept my explanations. All I know is that I get headaches maybe once every 6 months where I used to eat Ibuprofen, Advil and pain medication for snacks.

Me neither bloke.
what a 'pile' of misinformation.... and where did you find it?  got a source? or did you make it up?
Whether you're one of the few unlucky ones that get hit related to sex, and it's not everybody... this bs is NOT the reason.
Open a book and read CHumley.
and put a leaCH on your forehead for good measure.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2005, 8:17am by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 8:47am »

I had incredible headaches for years the doctor could not fix. I finally had to cure them myself.

Well, I'm really happy to hear that.  Guess you don't have much use for this support board.  Off you go, then.
 Angry

IP Logged

source unknown

Pages: 1 2  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss