Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Who is who here to the newcommers (Read 107203 times)
tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: Who is who here to the newcommers
Reply #700 - May 1st, 2012 at 4:10pm

Hello Everyone, I have had CH for about 19 years now but only diagnosts within the last 2 years.  When this started I was 19 years old and it ran in 2 cycles lasting 2 weeks a piece.  Now years later I typically have 1 to 2 a day for a month.

This cycle started the 1st week of April my doctor started me on prednisone and verpamil, as soon as i cut back to 1 pill of the prednisone the ch's are back.  Now my doctor took me of both and started Indocin which seems to be making things worse.  He thinks because I am a female that I have CPH a form of CH but my frequency of the headaches are only 2 times a day with a duration of 45 to hour each headache.  He also gave me a prescription for O2 put I am unable to find  a medical supply in my area that carries it.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #701 - May 1st, 2012 at 8:13pm

Sigh, girls get CH. Doc's still don't believe it, but spend any time here and you'll see a LOT of girls get CH. What area are you in, let us know where you live, we'll figure out a good 02 supply house. The fact the headaches responded to the Pred, and not the Indo, sure makes it sound like CH to me.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #702 - May 3rd, 2012 at 12:20pm

I am in Central New Jersey Freehold area.  My doctor believed it to be CH but I have not responded to Topamax, which they tried last cycle or verpamil they tried this cycle in conjunction to prednisone.  It seems when they ween me down to 20 mg of prednisone the headaches return and he does not want me staying on the high does for more then 2 weeks he allows 60 mg for 7 days 40 mg for 7 days then the next week they return when i cut back on a the dose.  Verpamil has not stopped them yet.  Now with the indocin the headaches have reduced from 45 minutes to 20 minutes with taking imitrix as well,  but I have a sitting headaches after which  reminds me of the rebound headaches I used to have years ago when they had me on Feurecet. ,  but I am getting them daily still and I am so physically exhausted at this point. Sad

IP Logged

kasmith
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #703 - May 3rd, 2012 at 1:04pm

I am female and definately have CH according to my neurologist (all along I thought they were migraines).  Try Apria healthcare for the O2.  It wasn't until yesterday that I got my O2 tank (though the doctor made calls last week).  I had to call my insurance company to get in-network carriers and many of them stopped carrying O2, but apria is not one of them.  Within hours of getting the fax from my doctor they were calling me to set up a delivery time.  Very seamless.  So let the O2 therapy begin.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #704 - May 3rd, 2012 at 2:33pm

Tammy, your doc is spot on with the prednisone tapers. Many of us can get 100% relief by taking prednisone, but long term it will tear you up, we call it a transitional med. What dose of verapamil were you on? We go MUCH higher then most docs are comfy with, some going 960 mg a day to get relief. Some have to combine verapamil with lithium to see any reduction in hits. Print this out and take it to your doc, he should appreciate the source:

Headache. 2004 Nov;44(10):1013-8.   

Individualizing treatment with verapamil for cluster headache patients.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Background.-Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses-720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved. Objective.-To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly. Methods.-Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication. Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose for a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction. Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary. Results.-Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy-lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn. Conclusions.-Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary. (Headache 2004;44:1013-1018).

=======================================
SLOW-RELEASE VERAPAMIL

Dr. Sheftell applauded the protocol for verapamil used by Dr. Goadsby and colleagues, which entailed use of short-acting verapamil in increments of 80 mg. “This method was suggested by Lee Kudrow, MD, 20 years ago as an alternative to slow-release verapamil,” Dr. Sheftell noted.

“I would agree with using short-acting verapamil, rather than the sustained-release formulation, in cluster headache,” he said. “I prefer the short-acting formulation with regard to ability to titrate more accurately and safely. My clinical experience anecdotally demonstrates improved responses when patients are switched from sustained-release verapamil to short-acting verapamil.”

Dr. Goadsby agreed that his clinical experience was similar. “There are no well-controlled, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studies to direct treatment. This is one of those areas where clinicians who treat cluster headache have to combine what modicum of evidence is available with their own clinical experience,” Dr. Sheftell commented.

Then check out oxygen, no side effects, cheap, fast, not much to dislike:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Joe

IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #705 - May 3rd, 2012 at 3:55pm

Thank you I just printed out the information, they had me on 80 mg verpamil 3 times a day along side with the prednisone tapper.  I am a wreck I have my brothers wedding this Saturday and to be honest it is the last thing I feel upto right now as horrible as that sounds.  They have never seen me go through one of these headaches I think my mom has only seen 1 years ago.  My head is so soar from the last 3 weeks the thought of being in a room with loud music is just so appealing to me Smiley especially inbetween switching medicine.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #706 - May 3rd, 2012 at 11:56pm

Hi tammygue

240mg a day of verapamil is a fairly low dose, with most people needing 360-480mg a day and some needing 1000mg a day to be effective.

I totally understand how CH and a wedding reception are not a great mix potentially, however have you got any abortives, like oxygen or imitrex? Using oxygen I can kill off my CHs in about 5 minutes, which is totally the difference between having to avoid activities like this and being able to enjoy them (between migraines for me, but even they can be aborted).

Life with CH is about making the most of time between the hits, preventing as many of them as possible and killing of those that get through as quickly as possible.

I really hope you get to enjoy the wedding this weekend.

IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #707 - May 4th, 2012 at 10:08am

Yes I have Imitrex and the doctor just gave me a new needless shot that is supposed to work within 5 minutes, and trying to get oxygen, hopefully I will have that soon.

IP Logged

Thatsgr8
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #708 - May 7th, 2012 at 7:48pm

Hello all,

I just found this site yesterday after my horrifing CL.  I have been getting the CL's for about 12 years now.  The last 4 years it really intensified.  I usually (fingers crossed) get them for about two weeks in the spring and then in the fall.  This current episode is already past the two weeks.  I had 5 yesterday and already 2 today.  The day is still young and light out  Sad.  Most of mine are at night of course.  The last one I had at 3:30 this morning has lingered ALL DAY long.  I feel it just festering, growing and waiting to pounce once sundown.  I look forward to getting to know all of you and hear how you are controlling your CL's.  Thanks for being there.

IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #709 - May 8th, 2012 at 12:19pm

I feel for you when mine first started years ago I had them 2 times a year as well for a 2 week span but mine were only 1 everyother day.  Now I've graduated they have decided to join me for 1 time a year typically for a month.  I am currently in my 5th week and hoping they decide there time has come to go away. 

Just to update I spoke to my Doctor yesterday and he put me back on the verpamil 3xs a day and kept me on the indocin 1 time a day (personally i think that makes it worse).  I also found  a company who will be delivering me Oxygen tomorrow.

IP Logged

RobertLHalderman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #710 - May 8th, 2012 at 1:00pm

Ok I am brand new here and it took me a week to between howling at the moon ( what I call the headaches ) and trying to figure out how to even anything here. I have always had them but no one ever believed me until they thought my kidneys where failing. My kidney dr noticed vascular damage in most of my organs in a MRI and than decided to sent me for a MRI of my brain and there it was damage there to. so now I am very limited because of the kidney damage to the meds I can take. they are making arrangement to do the botox injection coming up. I have been a ton of the other meds already but I am a fighter.
I used to teach classes on suicide prevention and I was a preacher for 15 years so I don't give up so easy. yes I have laid in the floor and screamed while my girlfriend is at work right now because I can't do anything else. the biggest thing is trying to reach out and find people in my area who have the same condition, to be a part of a support group.  I am trying to reach out in the only way I know how. robertlhalderman@msn.com

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #711 - May 8th, 2012 at 3:40pm

Glad you found us, two suggestions, one, try oxygen. Won't be a problem with your other medical contitons, fast, I average 6-8 minute aborts, safe, no side effects, cheap, worth a look:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Check out the above link for details.

Then go to the meds section of this board and check out the post 123 pain free days and I think I know why A daily Vitamin D and anti inflammatory regimen that's been helping many on the board.

Joe

IP Logged

Saladin27
CH.com Newbie

Montreal, Canada
Reply #712 - May 16th, 2012 at 3:36am

WOW!!! thats all I have to say. I'm a 26 year old male and I'm crying. I just found out today (from reading CH websites for the past 5 hours) that I dont have migraines. I thought for the past 10 years that I had some sort of super severe migraines. I never thought anyone would ever understand what I have, let alone find many people who have the same thing.
Well, mine are episodic. I'm kind of horrified at the fact that they  may become chronic later in my life. I've been awake for 36 hours (afraid to sleep). I dont have any meds or oxygen. I've "toughed through" my headaches since I was 16. I'm going to see a doctor tommorow to try to get a referall to a doctor who knows what CHs are. I CANT WAIT to try O2.

I'm getting choked up reading things like the "why me syndrome", "rocking head back and forth", I've even experienced suicidal thoughts during several attacks since the age of 16. I'm 900% sure that I have CH now (I'm pretty much a "textbook case" of episodic CH.

Finally, someone who wont tell me to take 2 advils and sleep it off.

God Bless you all for making this site.

« Last Edit: May 20th, 2012 at 12:58am by Saladin27 »  

Patience and fortitude conquer all things

IP Logged

Saladin27
CH.com Newbie

Montreal, Canada
Reply #713 - May 16th, 2012 at 3:39am

WTFFFFFFFF!!! I still cant beleive this!!! I can get rid of these headaches?????? YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #714 - May 16th, 2012 at 9:20am

So glad you found us. I don't know much about the medical system in Canada but have PM'd some people from up your way to respond to this post. Hang in there.

Joe

IP Logged

Saladin27
CH.com Newbie

Montreal, Canada
Reply #715 - May 16th, 2012 at 1:21pm

Thanks!!

This post is more of a slightly embarrassing emotional outburst from the effects of finding out what I have, that others have it and that I can get rid of my next headache.
For a more comprehensive explanation of what I have, and my question, its better to read my other post in the thread entitled "Newbies help us.....help you!"

I would put a link but I'm not allowed as I dont have 10 posts yet.

IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #716 - May 16th, 2012 at 3:24pm

Is there a end to this cycle?  I started to do the vitamin regiment about a week ago, tried the redbull trick (it seems to work on shadows for me).  I have to say that I am not as bad as before the ch has downgraded from a constant 8-10 down to a 4 or 5 and shorter in duration but now it is the most inconvient times.  I used to have my 1:00 am wakeup call which now is 7:00am right when I am getting the kids on the bus, then when I get home from work the beast revisits around 6:30pm.  Ok if I have to endore this at least let it come when it only affects me Sad.   Still have not gotten my oxygen my Dr. is working on that with my insurance co. still.  (sorry needed to vent)  I thought this was going to end 2 weeks ago..

IP Logged

-dvb-
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

New Jersey
Reply #717 - May 16th, 2012 at 3:44pm

Hang in there Tammy. Maybe ask Batch about upping the D3 in the 123 Days PF thread....I know my cycle went a bit haywire the first few days with D3 (more frequent, less severe, shorter duration)...

And I hope the doc and ins. will come through on the O2 for you soon.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2012 at 3:45pm by -dvb- »  

IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #718 - May 22nd, 2012 at 4:32pm

I need help...  Ok so I am going back to the Dr. on Thursday and really want to be ready.  I am now almost at 2 months on this cycle the longest I have ever had.  I am taking Verpamil (only 80mg 3xs a day) and 1 indocine 50mg a day.  I have had 1 day where I went pain free after stopping my pred taper a while back.  What is the Verpamil supposed  to be doing shouldnt I have 1 day at least a week pain free?  Do I ask the Dr to up the dosage or try something else?  Also Every morning my Ch starts at 6:50 7:00 now I have tried taking Imitrex but today it seemed to make it worse.  I have taken imitrex everyday I am sure this is not good for me and I am still fighting with insurance for the oxygen.

Any help or suggestions please let me know Sad

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #719 - May 23rd, 2012 at 12:28am

Tammy,

If you're still taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with at least 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3, you're taking the best preventative I know of for CH.   

So far 105 out of 140 CH'ers who have started this regimen here at CH.com have found relief with either a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of their CH attacks... or they've gone pain free.  That's a raw efficacy of 75%. That's also lot more effective than verapamil and there are no side effects...

When you go in for the appointment be sure to ask for the lab test for 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3, a.k.a. 25(OH)D, the serum level metabolite of vitamin D3... and don't take "No" for an answer...

As far as your insurance company goes...  Tell them you'll gladly have them cover your prescriptions for verapamil and sumatriptan succinate (imitrex) injections...  They'll come to a total of over $2,000 a month... where your oxygen therapy will cost less than $300 a month if you get the M-size oxygen cylinders...

Most medical insurance companies assume you're a COPD sufferer and will not cover the Rx for oxygen therapy unless it's accompanied with documentation that your oxygen levels are low... 

Tell them you're a cluster headache sufferer and you need oxygen therapy at 15 liters/minute with a non-rebreathing oxygen mask as an abortive to stop the pain of your attacks and that your normal oxygen levels are just fine.

Hang in there and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #720 - May 23rd, 2012 at 12:18pm

Batch,

Yes I am still on the regiment, my D test came back as 22.2 on April 16th.  I have upped my D to 20,000 a day I switched from the pill form and have purchased it in a liquid form yesterday I heard it takes affect quicker.   I also purchased Botanical Treasures by Natura which is a Inflammatory and normalizes Cell vitamin, a Osteo vitamin and have also added Blue Ice Permented Cold Liver Oil. I also have tried following the diet you suggested, love the bean salad Smiley.    Today I did wake up PF (finally) dont want to jinx myself being the day is still young.  Maybe these horrible tasting things worked.  I was taking all pill forms and someone suggested these (very pricy and awful tasting) liquid forms of vitamins.

Thanks for everything it is so incredible to have people who know what you are going through after all these years.
Tammy

IP Logged

tammygue
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #721 - May 28th, 2012 at 9:47am

Hello all.. I need help one more time.  I finally got my oxygen, it only goes up to 15 and I only have a mask w/out bag.  How can I make this work, until I can get a non-rebreather? On a update side I went back to the neuro. and they took me off the Indocin and upped me to 320 verpamil now I am back to a 1:00 am visit from the beast which is alot better for me then 7:00am.  He also referred me to a new neuro in NY, Larry Newman who of course cant see me for 2 months almost. 

Tammy

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #722 - May 28th, 2012 at 10:11am

You McGiver it! All you need is 100% oxygen to your lungs. So take a kitchen size trash bag. Cut a little hole in the bottom, take the tube that runs off your regulator, and run it into the hole, taping it up airtight. Now close the top of the bag by bunching it up with your hand. You're now the proud owner of a non re breather mask.

Crank up the regulator as high as it will go. The bag starts to fill with oxygen. Take a deep breath out of the bag, pull your face away, close the bag up with your hand. Exhale away from the bag, repeat.

As to the referral to the neuro, call his office every morning looking for cancellations. It will let them know you're serious, they might get you a sooner appointment just so you stop bugging them, and cancellations do happen.

Joe

IP Logged

droSP
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #723 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 5:41pm

Hi All, hope you are all feeling great and pain free today.

Heres my story:
I first suffered from cluster headaches when i was 19 and a sophmore in college. i went 5 years without them but for the past 2 weeks they are back and no i did not miss them.  I am lucky enough that they do not occur everyday, yet am confined to bed for at least 2 hrs when they do.  i am hoping they disappear altogether this time and soon. In the meantime, ill be drinking plenty of water and trying out some of the home remedies ive seen posted here.  A big thank you to the moderators and creators of this site. Take Care.

Drew

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #724 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 6:08pm

Welcome to the board, if you haven't tried oxygen do yourself a favor and get hooked up. Instead of 2 hours of rocking in bed, you get 5-8 minutes of huffing pure oxygen....and then you are pain free. It's honestly that fast and effective.

Please give it a look so and do not be intimidated by it. It's a real life changer.

Joe

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 34
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!