Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Who is who here to the newcommers (Read 107198 times)
Polarhug
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Alaska
Re: Who is who here to the newcommers
Reply #725 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 7:04pm

My husband of 14 years and our beautiful kids. He was just recently correctly diagnosed with cluster headaches. He has had them for about 9 years

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #726 - Nov 17th, 2012 at 7:24pm

That's a fine looking family!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Polarhug
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Alaska
Reply #727 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 12:26am

Thanks! Feel like i've found a haven of knowledge. Glad to be here

IP Logged

pancho
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #728 - Nov 23rd, 2012 at 10:54pm

Hi  clusters my name is luis. I've suffered from ch ever since i can remember. My first memory of an attack was when i was like 6 or 7. My mother says ive had attacks when i was younger though. My dad has full blown migraine headaches so i guess i got off easy....i think. I am 23 am a full time college student and i have a part time job so you guys can imagen that my attacks get in the way of everything am doing. My cycle is the fall. For some reason my headache start blowing up when the weather changes here in Houston.  I get headaches daily or twice or even 3 times a day sometimes for about a month or so. I cant never remember the exact "season" of my attacks i just know that i get them every fall. I hope to meet some people here that can help me take control of my attacks  Smiley

IP Logged

Paul75
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Washington State
Reply #729 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 11:14am

Hello everyone,

My name is Paul.  I am 37 years old and new to this forum.  I remember when I was 15 years old, and I got my first Cluster Headache in Sophomore History Class...a vivid and not so fun memory!  Since then, I have suffered from episodic cluster headaches off and on throughout the years.  I was finally diagnosed when I was 28 years old with Cluster Headaches.  I'm on the forum now because "the beast" is back...or was back.  I'm going to post on Batch's link concerning his treatment.  I've had great success with it after two days!  Grin

Like all of you, I'm always trying to figure out what cause my episodes to start.  I've narrowed it down to a combination of the following:

1.  Disruption of Sleep Pattern
2.  Stress
3.  Time change/jetlag
4.  Throw in some beer/wine
5.   Disruption of normal eating pattern

My headaches have ranged from KIP 1, all the way to KIP 9.  Fortunately, I haven't had to go to the hospital!  For me, the pain starts behind my right eye and radiates out and up...I fell it in my teeth (especially my upper right wisdom tooth) and throughout my skull on the right side. My nostril on my right side will start running horribly when I have a bad one and so will my right eye.  Also, my stomach will feel like it is empty when I'm having my attack...anyone else get this?

For the most part, I have just used Imitrex to treat the headaches when they are way up on the KIP scale.  I had one very bad episode when I was 28 where I was put on verapamil (only because I educated my doctor, as a GP, he was clueless about CHs) and it worked really well for me.  After 7 days on it, I was CH free!

About a week ago, I got hit again....pretty sure it had to do with all of the factors I listed above.  I had been CH free for about 3 years and 3 months up to that point!  Damn beast came back.  My welcome back to the fun of CHs was a KIP 8, it was horrible.  Since then they haven't been that bad, but have been more frequent.  Also, up to this point, I never had CHs during the night, they were always in the morning...these nighttime ones suck!  I started getting 3-4 CHs at night that would wake me up and make it very difficult to get back to sleep. Also, once I'm up, I've been having a KIP 5-6

So I did some reading here and came across Batch’s concoction....THANK YOU BATCH!  Yesterday was my first full day on the treatment, and I went from 3-4 KIP 5-6 CHs during the night to 2 KIP 1s last night.  Just woke to a little pressure, and was able to easily fall back to sleep.  This morning, I woke and started to get about a KIP 2-3, BUT after taking the fish oil and Vitamin D, gone, all gone!

I'm taking 8000 IU of Vitamin D3 (4,000 in the am and 4,000 in the pm) and 4,800 mg of Fish Oil every am.  So far so good.  Thanks again Batch! Grin

Hopefully this pattern will continue!  Thanks to everyone  here on the board for posting your experiences, they really have been helpful for me to understand/combat my cluster headaches!

IP Logged

Renee E
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #730 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 9:05pm

i am female, age 50, started with clusters at age 21. diagnosed myself about 15 years ago. never tried any meds, terrified of side affects, just suffer thru. i'm cyclic, usually every 2 years. 2-3 month cycles. i'm near the end of a cycle now i hope. it's just about 2 months since shadows started but they were only 1 or 2 times a week for the first 3 or 4 weeks so i was hoping my cycle would not come full force. it's getting worse, 4 hours last night. ice, coffee and hot sauce did not work. i have had some success aborting with those methods but not last night. it was only a 7 on the kip scale but the duration wore me out, sooo tired. i started running in place and my headache subsided i finally got sleep. low grade headache all day today. must be the aftermath? i want to try verapamil but i am usually told at checkups i have low blood pressure. not sure what the numbers are. maybe the oxygen? i'm worried i can't get an appointment to see a dr. before the cycle escalates. i'm not even sure if i need a referral or my primary care can prescribe oxygen. i know i waited long but i keep being an optimist thinking they will be gone by now. i hate to ruin everyones christmas since i'm the main christmas person here. it's lonely because ppl don't grasp these headaches. they don't understand.

IP Logged

Renee E
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #731 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 9:08pm

i more question, does taurine, magnesium or vitamin d work quickly?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #732 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 9:26pm

Welcome to the board Renee, glad you found us. The D-3 regimen works REALLY FAST  for some, not so fast for others. I'd go on it tomorrow if I were you, tonight if you can get to Costco! It just helps too many people, has no side effects, is good for you even without CH.

With your low blood pressure you might want to consider using lithium as a prevent med. Been using it for a bout 25 years, episodic like, you, about nil on side effects.

Joe

IP Logged

Renee E
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #733 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 9:43pm

how many mg. of the vitamin d? do i separate the dose or take all at once? my husband is at the store now getting me red bull, vitamin d-3 and magnesium.

IP Logged

Renee E
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #734 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 9:44pm

also, thanks for advice on lithium.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #735 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 10:05pm

This is it in a nut shell. For  more detailed....and i mean DETAILED analysis.....go to the meds section and read the post "Anti inflammatory regimen and survey"

Most of these supplements are available at pharmacies, major supermarkets, health food stores, and over the Internet.  Citracal Plus has a similar formulation to the Kirkland brand of calcium citrate.

Omega 3 Fish Oil - 2000 to 2400 mg/day (EPA 360
                            mg/day, DHA 240 mg/day)
Vitamin D3 *        - 10,000 IU/day
Calcium **           - 500 mg/day (calcium citrate preferred)
Magnesium           - 400 mg/day (magnesium citrate
                                    or magnesium gluconate)
Vitamin K2 ***     - 120 mcg/day
Vitamin A ****     - 900 mcg (3,000 IU) for men and
                           - 700 mcg (2,333 IU) for women
Zinc                     - 10 mg/day
Boron                   -   1 mg/day

Joe

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #736 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 10:06pm

Please read the following thread:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It takes more than D3, magnesium and red bull.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

brain_cramps
CH.com Hall of Famer

close to SANTA!
Reply #737 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 4:49am

No Pictures here (learned that in the past) so you choose!

Smiley

or

Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2012 at 4:53am by brain_cramps »  

Ma, take this badge off of me...

IP Logged

Bazurko
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bethesda, MD
Reply #738 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 4:03pm

Hi all. My name is Andrew, I am 24 years old and started having clusters in March 2011. I am newly diagnosed as of 12/6/12, living right outside Washington DC. I was put on 60mg of prednisone for 3 days which stopped the cluster those nights, but then tapered to 40mg and got a cluster at 1:15am that night :/. Saw the neurologist the next day, went back up to 60mg and got an occipital nerve block (didn't do anything). I'm now tapering down 10mg every 5 days (on day 2 of 50mg) and already feel like "they" are coming back...

I'm new to the cluster world but glad I found a place to learn more and communicate with people who truly understand!! Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, or help!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #739 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 4:44pm

Hi Andrew and welcome

Prednisione is only a short term preventive so it is no surprise that they are coming back as the dose tapers off. It is normally used for the short term whilst you start on a longer term preventive like verapamil, lithium or topomax which all take a while to build up to an effective dose.

Keep reading the forums like crazy and you'll soon be a CH expert. Ask away with all the questions you have and people will try to answer them.

IP Logged

Bazurko
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bethesda, MD
Reply #740 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 5:43pm

Thank so much Mike. I'm going to start verapamil today, per your advice and everything I've read here. I love the site and am SO grateful to have a place to learn and share experiences. One question before I venture off, are there any local support groups or threads that you know of? Clusters are rare but since I do live in a big city, there are certainly other sufferers! Thanks in advance. It's like we're all part of an extended family Smiley.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #741 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 5:50pm

Bazurko wrote on Dec 21st, 2012 at 5:43pm:
Thank so much Mike. I'm going to start verapamil today, per your advice and everything I've read here. I love the site and am SO grateful to have a place to learn and share experiences. One question before I venture off, are there any local support groups or threads that you know of? Clusters are rare but since I do live in a big city, there are certainly other sufferers! Thanks in advance. It's like we're all part of an extended family Smiley.

There are people here from all over the world, so if you post where you're from people can see if you're local. If you can meet someone else with CH it's quite an experience as they just know what you go through.

Have a look at the other areas of the forum, like the meetings and general areas too.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

kenyaju
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #742 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 3:15pm

Hi.  I'm Dave.  I've suffered from clusters for about ten years now.  I feel like crying after reading some of the posts people have left on this site.  Possibly the worst thing (besides the obvious) about ch is the loneliness.  You know what it's like to try to find someone who understands and have them say something [i]sympathetic[i], that guy or girl who says, "Yeah, I have migraines, too." 

I live in Arlington, TX where I'm finishing up my doctorate in English--hopefully only a few months left.  I am divorced and live with my son, who is eight. 

I just started my most recent cluster a little over a week ago.  It started suddenly, as usual, and the headaches have intensified and gotten longer more quickly that usual.  My cycles usually last about three or four months.  If this is only the beginning...

I'm scared.

IP Logged

Joe S.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #743 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 3:20pm

Hi Dave:  I am 62 and have been suffering from CH on and off since HS.  You probably know about Oxygen to abort attacks and Verapamil to control them more long term.  I currently too am 5 weeks into a cycle.  If you have not tried the above, investigate them. Hope that helps.  Good luck.

IP Logged

kenyaju
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #744 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 3:33pm

Thanks, Joe.  I'm currently using sumatriptan and it seems to work.  Unfortunately, I can't afford anything but the pill, so sometimes, especially at night, I don't take it in time.  I may have to talk to my doctor about Verapamil.

IP Logged

Joe S.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #745 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 3:41pm

You're welcome.  If you want immediate relief from an attack I strongly recommend trying oxygen.  The tablets you are currently taking probably are not doing you much good.  Hope you can get a hold of some oxygen.  It has really helped me to abort attacks.

IP Logged

kenyaju
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #746 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 4:04pm

I thought I might add some more about my headaches.  I usually get three or four (between 4-6 KIP) during the day, which I can usually abort with Imitrex.  I also get a headache, usually a 6-8 KIP, after I've been asleep for about an hour and a half. I usually get really, really sleepy before a headache, and so when I'm already asleep, I normally don't wake up in time to stop it.  My cycles are episodic and usually last for three or four months and usually start when the weather changes in the fall.  Also, I have a  number of triggers:  nitrates (preservatives and processed meats), MSG, alcohol, tannins, and, well, sleep, apparently. 

I've tried different things to stop them--or at least to mitigate the pain.  During my cycle, I barely eat anything but tuna, organic bread, fresh vegetables and non-enriched rice.  I don't drink at all during my cycle.  After exploring different sites, forums, and chat rooms, I decided to try psychedelic mushrooms as I've read in several places that psilocybin can not only abort an attack, but end a cycle altogether.  I took the smallest possible effective dose last night and it triggered the worst headache I've had in about six years--easily a 9-10 KIP that left me in tears, drooling, and completely and utterly exhausted (and which lasted over an hour).  I'm still recovering from it today.  So, needless to say, I won't be trying that again.

IP Logged

Joe S.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #747 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 4:10pm

Sounds like mine.  That is the cycle I am currently in.  Have you tried oxygen?  I don't see that you have.  That has really helped me abort headaches.  Best if you catch them at the beginning of the headache but helps me regardless.  I can't believe how well oxygen stops headaches for me.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #748 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 10:04pm

kenyaju wrote on Dec 23rd, 2012 at 3:15pm:
You know what it's like to try to find someone who understands and have them say something [i]sympathetic[i], that guy or girl who says, "Yeah, I have migraines, too."

Dave - you've found somewhere where people can say:
Quote:
"Yeah, I have CH, too."

So yes, we get it as we know just what it's like. Plus we've the collective experience of many, many years of CH and countless medical appointments to draw on.

You said "I'm scared". What are you scared about? Tell us more and we can help you more.

From your other posts you seem to just have sumitriptan pills and no preventitive. This is not the ideal way to treat CH. Do talk to your doctor about using a preventive like verapamil / lithium / topomax and oxygen as an abortive.

Do also also look at the sucess people have been having using vitamin D3 - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - for many it has made a huge impact on their CHs, going pain free.

Keep reading and asking questions...

IP Logged

astoria
CH.com Newbie

Sweden
Reply #749 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 9:02pm

Hello! I am 18 years old and I have been suffering from CH since I was 13. Like so many others of you, I didn't get my diagnosis until later on; I was 16. That was when I went from my family doctor to an actual neurologist. And even though I'm female and quite young, there was no doubt about my diagnosis. It was such a relief! My family doctor hadn't been able to figure out what in the world was wrong with me, finally someone understood! My neurologist suggested a daily dose of Verapamil and Imigran injections when I get an attack (since I live in Sweden they're not that expensive). A few months later she also suggested I try oxygen, and it is now the best thing in my life. It's unfortunate I can't carry it around, really.

I realize now that this kind of sounds like a sunshine story, which it is not. Currently I'm in Florida and I have had attacks 2-3 times a day since I got here. I believe my body thinks it is spring. We have snow back home, you see. I ran out of injections after one week and we had to visit a doctor here and get a prescription, and jeez, medicines are expensive over here! Anyway, I'm going home to my oxygen tanks in five days so I'll probably survive. And hi hi hello to you all!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 34
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!