Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Drill here, drill now, pay less... (Read 19741 times)
JuniorBrew
CH.com Junior

Who are you people?!

Near Milwaukee, WI, USA
Re: Drill here, drill now, pay less...
Reply #25 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 8:48pm

This whole oil crisis is making me think about just not getting my driver's license altogether...

Seriously, we need to be able to wean ourselves of the 'loving' bosom that is the OPEC countries, and we need to get on our own feet as a nation again.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security."
JuniorBrew roy_sktr TheLowEnd1206  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:09pm

JuniorBrew wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 8:48pm:
Seriously, we need to be able to wean ourselves of the 'loving' bosom that is the OPEC countries, and we need to get on our own feet as a nation again.

How do suggest we do that?

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #27 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:57pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Feel free anybody....

Seriously, my hope is to find more oil but at the same time, make it less and less important. It can be done. We're supposed to be good at this kind of thing.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Gator
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:32pm

Charlie wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 9:57pm:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Feel free anybody....

Seriously, my hope is to find more oil but at the same time, make it less and less important. It can be done. We're supposed to be good at this kind of thing.

Charlie

When it comes down to there being no other choice, either someone will create the technology or more likely - the technology that has existed for years but has been suppressed by the oil companies will be released.  Hopefully they don't wait until it is too late.

It's like the old quote by Winston Churchill you used to use said:

Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities.

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #29 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 1:00am

I can certainly see the reason why the oil industry doesn't want to drill their way to lower revenue......but I don't see why they don't purchase or research other fuel.  Whether its electrolosis or hydrogen or whatever, there's money to be made if you have the investment.

We all know they have the means to fund it. 

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #30 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:11am

Quote:
JuniorBrew wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 8:48pm:

How do suggest we do that?

It is going to take the kind of focus and commitment  that we had when we decided to put a man on the moon.  Apollo was the largest non-military program in the history of the country.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #31 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 1:43pm

monty wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:11am:
It is going to take the kind of focus and commitment  that we had when we decided to put a man on the moon.  Apollo was the largest non-military program in the history of the country.

Sputnik inadvertantly established the principle that satellite "overflight was not a violation of air space.  A rude awakening in the age of nuclear weapons.    

It took ten years.

Launching required ballistic missiles, the interservice agencies were heavily involved, JPL essentially an army missile lab operated by Caltech, the Navy had a research lab for their Vanguard, USAF built IRBMs based on the Atlas program.  Once in awhile a collaboration would be attempted -- the USAF/Army's Thor/Jupiter.  
 There was pre-NASA's ARPA (Advanced Research Project Agency - a holding company for military space programs), NACA (Nat'l Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) and ABMA (Army Ballistic Missile Agency)

NASA started operation 01 Aug 58, taking ABMA, JPL, NACA's three research labs, and was promised the Navy's Vanguard group, later named Goddard Space Center.  

Yes though, Ike stepped in to stop interservice rivalry, he and Johnson shared a primary motivation that the U.S. needed separate civilian and scientific space programs.  The army continued to run national security space projects and at the time most thought they'd dominate in the end.  Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo were all aimed at the moon, in steps.

most info from a von Braun bio.

Today it seems a defined posing threat is needed, climate change is not immediate enough perhaps or yet concerning enough, pricing a slow bleed.  Cold war factors influenced a space jump and the Manhatten Project was instilled as a race to beat the Germans, who were also thought to be ahead of us.  

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2008 at 1:51pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 1:48pm

The only problem with putting a man on the moon was you didn't pick the right one...

IP Logged

Paul98
CH.com Alumnus

What, it's all in my head?

Clyde, NY  USA
Reply #33 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 3:24pm

18 billion barrels in Anwr;  ~400 billion barrels in the Bakken Formation;  ~1500 billion recoverable barrels of oil shale;  estimated 1,000 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.  And this doesn’t count the huge reserve of Methane locked up in Methane Hydrate ~400,000 Trillion cubic feet of Methane.  (Methane Hydrate is a pure white crystalline lattice of water ice that has methane molecules trapped in it. Each methane molecule has six water molecules holding it in place. And, a single unit of methane hydrate, when heated and depressurized, releases 160 times its volume in natural gas.   By comparison the total amount of oil under Saudi Arabia is about 200 billion barrels.  And finally if you consider our coal reserves and the fact that at current prices it is highly economical to produce liquid fuels from coal, we probably have enough fossil reserves to supply US needs for at least a thousand years – much more if all our electrical needs are produced by nuclear plants.

Blame the Bunnymen.

-P.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register[img name=signat_img_resize]http://thumb15.web
Paul98 pjl98  
IP Logged

Gator
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:35pm

Paul98 wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 3:24pm:
Blame the Bunnymen.

-P.

That would be the environmentalists for those of you in Rio Linda.  Smiley 

You also have to add the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) social elite crowd on the coasts who want more oil, more gas and more power, but will not allow anything to be built in their areas.  They are more than willing to set up oil rigs in the Gulf and nuclear waste facilities in Nevada and wind turbine farms in the Midwest, but not on their coast lines or hillsides, etc.

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #35 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:54pm

I signed it, hope I don't get a bunch of damned spam.  

Edit to add, wishful thinking on my part...... Undecided
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2008 at 4:56pm by Agostino Leyre »  

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #36 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 5:02pm

Paul98 wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 3:24pm:
Blame the Bunnymen.

Or the economists.  America was pumping lots of oil in America, but the cheap easy-to-get-to stuff was either used up or being pumped as fast as possible.  Lots of marginal producers in the US then went bankrupt, even though oil was still under the ground. It just cost too much to bring it to the surface.

US production expanded in the 70s and early 80s with high prices, then shrunk when prices dropped.  Tar sands need high prices to be feasible - oil shale, even more so. Methane hydrate has potential, but the technology is not there - there is no commercial utilization of that at all yet.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2008 at 5:05pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #37 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:11pm

I have to agree with Monty.  Cool

Yesterday, a lot of New York State bigwigs were here in my little town giving us the okay to build a carbon-capturing coal-fired power plant to replace the one we have which is supposed to be one of the dirtiest in the country....you could fool me. I didn't know it was so and the thing is that we don't need our own plant because we get almost all our power from Niagara Falls. Still, it looks like we will spend a shitload of cash to replace the plant we don't use with this new idea. I think they have one of these under construction or in use in Norway. Everybody here knows that our rates will go through the roof. For now, Jamestown has incredibly cheap power. I paid $19 last month. I wonder how long this thing will take? It might be interesting though.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:58pm

Charlie wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 9:11pm:
I have to agree with Monty.  CoolJamestown has incredibly cheap power. I paid $19 last month.

$19 for electric?....If so, Christ, im paying way over a hundred!

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #39 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:16pm

19 bucks is it Jonny. Bear in mind that I live alone and use an oil fired computer.  Cool

Next month will be more than $25 with my central air conditioner. Normally, I pay a little more than $20. I can't complain.

Charlie

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #40 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:45pm

How in the hell can Jamestown have such cheap power?  Back when i wasnt even living here, the electric was like $75.

Look at your bill and see how many KW you used.  I am curious.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #41 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 3:27pm

I checked and 222 kwh is the consumption for May. We are spoiled in this town and we are really steamed that it's likely to go up more than usual in a few years. If you add in sewer, water and the like, the total is about $60. Gas runs about $143 a month on balanced billing.

The thing is that if you go just a few miles outside the city, the rates for Niagara are similar to yours.

Charlie

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #42 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 6:35pm

What are you, Amish or something?  You only used 222kwh?

I use about 1400 - 1800 kwh a month, with a gas furnace and gas water heater.  I also replaced most of the bulbs with CFLs, which made a noticable difference.

I sometimes use 222kwh in a weekend.

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #43 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:22pm

That's what it says: comsumption 222 kwh.

Shit. I fall asleep with the TV on all the time. It must be some kind of accounting thing. It's the only thing I can think of.

It does seem odd though.

Charlie

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:37pm

Psssst....Charlie, never complain about your bill to the electric company!.....LOL  Wink

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #45 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:50pm

hi folks, i am new to this site, but i have worked for one of the worlds largest oil companies for a long time. i am no CEO or white collar guy, just a grunt in the trenches, but i do still have half a brain and can read. ( and NO, i dont get free gas, or even a discount!). and one thing ALL of us in the refinery KNOW is this,,, THERE IS PLENTY OF OIL. there is NO shortage,!!! i repeat, there is NO shortage. if you want to blame the prices on someone, its easy to blame the big three, after all look at their profits, but ,, this is america, a company in this country has ONE MAIN OBJECTIVE,,,,, to make MONEY!!!!! PERIOD.  one thing i do know is this,, everytime a little grass-hut in the middle of south america with one little pump,( the size of your basement sump-pump) gets taken over by six guys with masks and AK47's, speculators on wall street " freak out" and drive the price of a barrel up $2.00. i dont have the answers folks, hell, i dont have any answers, just trying to sate a few facts.    Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 9:06pm

Someone is getting rich, and it aint us! Angry

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #47 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 9:34pm

Charlie wrote on Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:22pm:
comsumption 222 kwh.

A little evening street light through the windows

a favorite AM radio station, a box of Crackerjacks,  

and a cold one in the icebox.   Wink

« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2008 at 9:36pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 10:49pm

Remember the election in 2006?
Thought you might like to read the following:

A little over one year ago:

1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we have seen:

1) Consumer confidence plummet;
2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over  $4.10  a gallon;
3) Unemployment is up to  5 .5 %(a 10% increase);
4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate
(stock and mutual fund losses);
5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;
6) 1% +  of American homes are in foreclosure &nb sp;

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it!

IP Logged

artonio7
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 11:19pm

Quote:
Remember the election in 2006?
Thought you might like to read the following:

A little over one year ago:

1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we have seen:

1) Consumer confidence plummet;
2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over  $4.10  a gallon;
3) Unemployment is up to  5 .5 %(a 10% increase);
4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate
(stock and mutual fund losses);
5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;
6) 1% +  of American homes are in foreclosure &nb sp;

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it!

Here I thought all of that had to do with my new deodorant... it was about the same time I switched brands.

with warm regards,
Tony

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!