Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
To the newbies (Read 86408 times)
Jennifer
CH.com Alumnus

Supply, VA
Re: To the newbies
Reply #50 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 8:16pm

annakomda wrote on Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:36am:
OMG! I AM HOME!!!

Smiley   yes you are Smiley   Welcome.

WWW Jennifer Whitty Donald Yennyfur_D  
IP Logged

lyn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #51 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 7:59am

Hi All

Well im new to this so please be gentle...diagnosed with ch in June 07 and had my last attack in August 08 which involved been rushed to hospital at midnight. Im now on 75mg of amitriptyline a day and to be honest some days dont know if im on this planet or the next planet.

Im single and in yorkshire and im pleased to have found this site and know that im not alone. Smiley Would love to hear from other people as this is all new what else do i have to look forward to with having ch.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #52 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:21am

Hey Lynn welcome to the board. IThere's quite a few of us from your side of the pond, hopefully they'll be alonmg to chime in. The best approach to CH is a 2 pronged one.

1: a decent preventative med. This is  a med you take daily, while on cycle, to reduce the number and the intensity of your attacks. I use lithium at 1200 mg a day. Other popular preventatives are verapamil, at doses higher then it's normally used, and topomax. Many others to read about and discuss with your neuro.

2: a decent abortive. Oxygen should be your first line abortive. Read the 02 link on the left. For 02 to be effective, it MUST be used correctly. Your lungs must get ONLY pure 02, no outside air, no exhaled air. This is best accomplished using a non re breather mask and a high flow regulator, at least 15 LPM.

You will find most doctors are clueless about CH. No fault on their part, there are just very few of us and most docs will never encounter a patient with CH. It's incumbent on YOU to educate yourself, form a partnership with your doc and develop a long term plan to deal with it.

Glad you found us, you'll never be alone with this crap again!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jess
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #53 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 4:54pm

Thanks for being here for us... I was just diagnosed...  This is all pretty new for me.  It's really great knowing y'all are here.  I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.  Not to repeat myself, but it's hugely comforting having a place to turn where everyone understands this beast... Thank you.

Jess  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #54 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 6:30pm

Welcome to the board, you'll never be alone with this ailment again! You've got a ton of people who'll do anythng they can to help you. When you get a chance, please post what you're treatment plan is, maybe we can help tweak it a bit!

Welcome home.

Joe

IP Logged

kasmith
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #55 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 11:38am

I just discovered this site yesterday and it was like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.  It is so hard to suffer and not be able to explain what is really going on and how I really feel.  People give you "the look" like it can't be that bad but you know better.  I actually suffer with the ch along with migraine headaches so I feel like I have been cursed twice.  As I type this I am having an alright moment, but as well all know each good moment must be cherished because it can change in an instant.  I have suffering with this bought since the beginning of the year (what a way to start the new year).  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but I was.  It had been a year since I had an episodes so this threw me for a loop. 

It is so nice to have someone to talk to who know what I am going through.  I find it hard to explain to someone who says they care about you but runs in the opposite direction when the pain starts.  At least now someone can listen to me.

The fear of going to sleep for fear of waking up with pain is my reality.  Because of the migraine nature of my ch I now have been really dealing with the nausea.  I mean what does a 110 lb 5'2" woman need to throw up daily?  I really can't afford to lose any weight but when you can't keep anything down what do you do? 

Funny how I rock when the pain is at it height along with squeezing my head knowing that hasn't worked in the past and that no relief will come of it.  But I guess it makes me feel like I am doing something.  I think God has heard my voice so much lately he is tired of hearing it, but I can't stop asking "Why me?"

I am going to try the "water treatment" and see if that helps.  The bathroom has been my friend today Roll Eyes and will probably be my friend for days to come until this episode is over.

Thank you so much for this website.  I now have a family I can talk to and who will understand.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #56 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 10:11am

Welcome to the board...wow..one of the "lucky" dual diagnosis people, cluster AND migrains. Ouch. Undecided

What kind of meds have you been on? What has worked and what has not? Do you take anything daily as a preventative medication? Do you have oxygen or imitrex as an abortive? Let us know what your treatment regimen has been, maybe we can toss a suggestion or two to take back to your doc.

Hoping you catch a break soon.

Joe

IP Logged

larryjamison
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #57 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 1:13pm

People don't understand unless they have one.  They think you just want to be babied. My sister get's them too and still goes to work. I work too but fortunately not full time at the moment so I have some days off. 

It feels like the Grim Reaper is coming to get you.  My sister says its like a Pirates of the Carribean movie where you are a pirate with a knife in your eye looking around  Grin

We are both fighters, my sister and I.  I refuse using steriods or lithium as one doctor quickly wanted me on.  I use varying tricks of both health products and medication that often knock it away for me.  So far, we work through them.
Sometimes we feel like this  Shocked  and doing a lot of this  Cry   but I just refuse to let it stop me living life or to cater to it so that its the center of my life.

I think women have it harder though? My sisters seem to get them more with their cycles. 

Thanks for this site. Its good to be understood.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #58 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 3:15pm

Larry, don't be too hesitant to try lithium. I know it's got bad visuals from Hollywood, you'll be a drooling, mouth breathing moron incapable of not wetting yourself!

The doseage we take it at for CH is far below it's psyche uses. I can barely tell I'm on it and it blocks 70-80% of my attacks. Oxygen pretty much kills the rest.

And everyone knows women don't get CH, they just have mild migrains they exxagerate! Wink (Running and hiding from Linda!) Wink

Glad you found us, hope we can put you in a good direction.

Joe

IP Logged

gmann11
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bedford Texas
Reply #59 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 4:49pm

Be very very careful with new meds.  I had a script filled once and it said take 1-2 tablets at bedtime.  I took 2 and it almost killed me.  I have never been so affected by a medicine in my life... I should have gone to the ER.  I called the doctor and he said I had to get used to the medicine so only take 1 tablet.  It almost did the same thing. Finally I called the doctor and asked if he was sure 100 mg of amitriptalyne was not too much. He siad 100???? I prescribed 10mg. Turns out the pharmacy filled 100 mg by mistake. So be very careful.

Gary

IP Logged

Mallory
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #60 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 5:18pm

I am sitting here reading these post in tears.  I have found someone that understand this is not a migraine!!!!!!  I'm giong on 18 days in my 2nd cycle, the last was about 4 years ago.  I wasn't diagnosed until this time.  I'm really glad to be here.

Mallory loveharleyfatboy  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #61 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 11:32am

Tough call about which is the best part about this site.....the incredible wealth of info??? or NEVER having to explain what a CH is and that NO it's NOT a tension headache we CAN'T just relax and no it's NOT just a migrain! Welcome home. Wink

Joe

IP Logged

Antonia
CH.com Newbie

Make it stop!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #62 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 12:18am

Well hello fsister and brother headbangers.

I just signed on, via OUCH.

CHs every Jan-Feb  from 1975 (the very day I met my second husband) to 1990, just before we broke up. Go figure.  Wink

Then, NOTHING for 19 blessed years. I thought that was it.

Last month, mid-February, 4 a.m.,  I am dreaming about holding some very tough and frustrating negotiations and I start banging my head against the table. WHAM. I wake up and I know the beast is back.

19 years later.

I jam 3 extra strength Tylenols down my throat and start taking deep deep breaths saying this is not it, this is not it, this is not it.

But it is.

The next morning I check Dr. Google because I figure, after two decades, there are cures, explanations, treatments ... But no.

Now I run through an entire oxygen tank a night, at $30/each. Three headaches, at 2, 4, 6. I have nasal Imitrex which works great but they don't want me to use it more than twice a week because I am on prozac.

I started beta-blockers last week and had two headache free nights but I think it was just a coincidence. I am also on 750 mg. Epival every night.

I quit my wine, smoking, cheese, chocolate, beans, eggplant, onions, tomatoes -- all the potential triggers.

Today I had an MRI to rule out an aneurysm and a tumour and last week tests to rule out glaucoma.

Waste of time because we know what this is, don't we?

I just don't want to go to bed. Last night I had 5 headaches.

So here I am. Cry

WWW Antonia Zerbisias  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #63 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 12:58am

Ouch....I thought it was bad enough coming back after an 18 month remission......damn....19 year remission!!!!!..........have you ever tried melatonin? It's an otc supplement you can find at vitamin and health food stores. Many can avoid or reduce the night time terrors by taking 9-15 mg 30 minutes before bed time.

Glad you found us, start educating yourself and working with your doc. Glad you already have 02, 30 plus years it's still my first line abortive! Welcome home you devil you! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

Antonia
CH.com Newbie

Make it stop!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #64 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 2:18pm

Thanks, or should I say tante grazie?

I read about melatonin on Dr. Google and tried it (I had been taking it on and off over the years for jet lag, etc.) It just made things worse because it seemed to make my REM sleep more frequent.

One of the things I find fascinating about CHs is their connection to dreams, at least for me. My very very first attack, first headache, was unforgettable because of the dream from which I woke up. My ex and I were shopping in a supermarket and came around the end of the aisle where there was this huge display pyramid of giant quart-size bottles of a strong aspirin-codeine analgesic then-available OTC in Canada called 222. They were on special. I started grabbing bottles and throwing them into the shopping cart and told my husband, let's get a lot because I have a helluva headache! next thing I knew, i was sitting up in the dark, rocking back and forth, clutching the right side of my throbbing head.

You know the rest.

Anyway, melatonin makes me dream more. So I think I will pass.  Sad

WWW Antonia Zerbisias  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #65 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 5:42pm

I always incorpoarte my attacks into my dreams too! I dream an attack is starting, I dream I'm rigging up my 02...I dream the 02 isn't working!!!! By the time I really wake up I'm usually pretty deep into an attack!!!

Joe

IP Logged

Antonia
CH.com Newbie

Make it stop!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #66 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 8:01pm

Joe,

I bet most of us do.

I rarely remember my dreams under normal circumstances but when the beast has me, I dream in cast-of-thousands, 3-d, Imax, THX spectaculars.

I am a chocolate addict and I decided to forego all possible food triggers (the only one for sure is booze) just in case. Last night I dreamed I was eating chocolate covered almonds when I suddenly realized that this was the wrong thing to do. I started to spit them out into the sink  but it was too late. Pound pound pound wake up.

Maybe we should have a thread?

WWW Antonia Zerbisias  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #67 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 10:31am

There have been several dream threads in the past, they get hysterical after a while! Grin It is fairly common!

Joe

IP Logged

Tom Dee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #68 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 11:02am

hello i'm a newbie here but have suffered from episodic clusters for about 15 years.  and yeah i'm lucky enough to have MS too on top of it..  funny thing is i can deal with the MS..  these cluster cycles put that to shame.  i've mostly used prednisone to prevent them once the cluster cycle starts and recently my doc wants me to use more verapamil and i hate that stuff it doesn't seem to work that great.  maybe i'll get a cluster every other day as it seems to just reduce the frequency while prednisone totally prevents them. 

it's good to see a post of people who can understand this ferocious pain instead of normal headache and migraine sufferers telling me to try alleve or some special tylenol.  or they tell me how they understand bad headaches and that just annoys me more than anything. 

my cycles seem to happen once a year and last for about 8 weeks.  sux because i do love beer and spend so much time tasting different beers it's such a habit i love that i have to sideline when my clusters start.  many days i am rubbing my temples saying thanx god for givin me MS and cluster headaches i really appreciate that.  so this board makes me feel good cuz it's nice to see there are other people out there that know what it's like and yeah a little misery loves company right???  but hey i swear i'm normally in a good mood!  come see me in like 6 more weeks!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #69 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 11:05am

Welcome to the board! yeah prednisone will provide 100% relief for me too, but long term use can cause some nasty side effects. I use prednisone for the 2 weeks I'm waiting for my prevent, lithium, to kick in. Like you, I love my micro brew beers, but on cycle it's just not worth it! It's like a guaranteed hit if I try a beer.

You haven't mentioned oxygen. Still my first line and most effective abortive. Read the oxygen link on the left, used correctly it's been a very effective abortive for many!

Glad you found us, hoping you catch a short cycle and can get back to your beer tasting!

Joe

IP Logged

Idaho
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #70 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 1:40pm

found ch.com two years ago as I was trying to learn about ch. rediscovered this community yesterday and am happy to become part of this network of individuals. i am 58 years old and am experiencing my third cycle of ch. the past two cycles have lasted almost exactly six months, even though they started at different times, jan and march. this cycle started in jan and i hope it ends in june. i find that sumatriptan injections work the best and relieve the symptoms within a reasonable amount of time. i also use the sumatriptan 100mg pills when i feel a ch coming on. i just talked to my doc about O2 and are going to give it a try. in addition to having to deal with the horrific and fearful experience of ch is having to deal with the insurance companies that just don't get it, or they do get it and just don't give a damn.  thanks for letting me be a part of your community.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #71 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 2:50pm

Danged glad you've joined us! If you have not already done so, read the 02 link on the left. HOW you use it is critical to its success. The key is to get 100% 02 to the lungs, no exhaled air, no outside air. That's why we recommend the high flow regulator and the non re breather mask.

You haven't mentioned any preventative strategy. With cycles lasting as long as yours do, you may want to read up on the options on the med page and discuss with your doc. I use lithium at 1200 mg a day while on cycle. reduces 70-80% of my attacks, which really cuts down on the abortives, imitrex etc.

Glad you're here, hoping we can help you out!

Joe

IP Logged

Jennifer
CH.com Alumnus

Supply, VA
Reply #72 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 7:57pm

great response Joe.

How 'bout Verapamil too as a preventative.  Seems to work really well for a lot of sufferers with long-term cycles. 

And DEFINITELY look into the o2!!!  Kicks some serious beasty ass if used right!

You do not have to be afraid of what's coming after a long remission. Use that time in between cycles to school yerself - prepare for what could be coming and be ready. Being ready gives YOU more control.

Hugs,
Jen

WWW Jennifer Whitty Donald Yennyfur_D  
IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #73 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 6:28pm

Hi!  I am a new CH member/sufferer (6mos) & have been a migraneur for the last 5 years.  I have been on preventative Topamax 75mg/day for the last two years, Norvasc 5mg/day also for the last year (calcium channel blocker - supposed to be prophylactic for migraine not sure about CH) and have taken a bunch of the triptans to try to abort - Relpax, Imitrex, Maxalt MLT (worked best as it dissolved on tongue & worked fast when I was sick vomiting and couldn't take pills.)  In Oct I started getting the clusters in 3-week periods with migraines in between - thought I was going to die!  My GP prescribed Fioricet as a rescue drug and told me not to stop the Topamax when I tried telling her it Obviously wasn't working!  Shocked
So I decided to find another neurologist hoping he'd try another preventative.  He asked me if I was having clusters still, and when I told him not at the moment he seemed to wave them off.  They started a few days after I saw him.  Angry  here I am amidst my third cluster episode cycle and all he had to tell me was that Topamax was the best that there is for me - take 2 Aleve in the am, take all Topamax at night instead of splitting it up am & pm, and try Treximet (just 85 mgs of Imitrex with 500mg Naproxen - did Nothing for migraines or clusters!!) and Imitrex Injections to abort.  Wow - that 6-mg shot kicked my butt - but in about 30 mins, my eyeball wasn't going to fly out of the socket any more, and the sharp stabbing pain in it subsided.    
SO - I am going back to see this new neuro in a couple of weeks and was wanting to know if there are any people out there who have used good preventatives for migraines And CHs?  Thanks for any ideas.  
Val

val2651  
IP Logged

49years
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #74 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 1:53pm

As my screen name suggests I have had clusters for a long time.  I had them for 30 years and then had a remission for about 18 years.  I am in the middle of my first attack in a long time and am having a hard time dealing with the reality of their return.  I have had all of everything anyone has described; the pain, the pacing, the fear of going to sleep.  The problem I think we face is getting the medical and insurance worlds to recognize our affliction as something different from migraine.  My current doctor had a bout of clusters 25 years ago and he still treats mine like migraine.  One would think that of the tens of thousands of doctors in the country one would lock in on this problem and become the expert who could advise us on the best treatments and not leave us to find them on our own.  Blood vessels don't just swell.  Something makes it happen.  How can it be such a mystery?  Anyway, I am glad to find this site and find people who don't have to have the pain described to them.  I'm not sure why we use secret names on the internet.  My real name is Joe.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!