Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help - I may be slotted for a wrong procedure (Read 1746 times)
terra
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

bay area/CA
Help - I may be slotted for a wrong procedure
Jul 5th, 2008 at 1:11am

I am supposed to have an "opthalmic" nerve block done on Monday with the doctor I haven't met that my FP referred me to because my  regular pain doc is out of town. For this procedure is going to be done at a day surgery and they're going to use iv conscience sedation. I have had nerve blocks done before but always in the office and never with sedation. I'm afraid I'm going to show up and have something done I wasn't expecting or  needed. I also don't want to pay for a day surgery procedure if it is something that can be in the office. Has anyone else had a nerve block done this way? Any suggestions for how to get to talk to the doctor before I have to sign all the consent forms?

Thanks

Terra

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Re: Help - I may be slotted for a wrong procedure
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 1:48am

"Any suggestions for how to get to talk to the doctor before I have to sign all the consent forms? "

Simple-- dont sign any forms untill you talk to the Doctor.
Docs working for you, your hiring doc not the other way around.

There may be better alternatives!

MJ

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 7:38am

This is an issue of such importance that you should contact the doc long before the day scheduled for the procedure. You won't get a sympathetic ear by holding up the surgery schedule minutes before action is to begin.

Since this is not an emergency, both you and your FP need some planning/asking for alternatives, etc.

Passivity will work against your interests!

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

terra
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

bay area/CA
Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 3:45pm

Thank you for the replies. However I would like to clear up a couple of things. This does qualify as an emergency but I won't go into explanations 
here. I am by no means passive and because of the urgent nature, the doctor is squeezing me in and I have not been able to meet yet with the doctor. Again, appreciate the input but do feel a bit put down. I would love to hear from anyone who has had or has nerve blocks and if they have ever been sedated for the procedure.

Thanks

Terra

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 4:26pm

Hi Terra,
I had a nerve block on a couple occasions back in 2002 in a Kaiser ER.  I would have to check my records, but I believe they used narcaine and cortisone w/o sedation.  I do not recall the exact nerve they said they were blocking, but they did call it a nerve block.  It worked pretty damn good.  I did feel some stiffness in my neck afterward for the next day or so, but I was glad to trade it for the pain.   

Thomas

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 4:35pm

terra wrote on Jul 5th, 2008 at 3:45pm:
I would like to clear up a couple of things. This does qualify as an emergency but I won't go into explanations  
here. I am by no means passive and because of the urgent nature, the doctor is squeezing me in and I have not been able to meet yet with the doctor. Again, appreciate the input but do feel a bit put down.

Maybe you ought to make it more clear when you start a thread!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 5:13pm

MJ wrote on Jul 5th, 2008 at 1:48am:
"Any suggestions for how to get to talk to the doctor before I have to sign all the consent forms? "

Simple-- dont sign any forms untill you talk to the Doctor.
Docs working for you, your hiring doc not the other way around.

There may be better alternatives!

Terra, try to contact the doc first thing Monday morning, or even try to have him paged today, or maybe your regular doc. If you cannot have your questions answered, then canceling and rescheduling seems to be the only option. I would be very concerned if I wasn't sure about surgery about to be done to me, and had questions for the doc that I needed to have answered.

You definitely don't want to have something done that maybe you don't need, and are unsure of. Better to be safe...

Since this isn't from your regular doc, it could be this doc does it differently. But, please check. Don't feel you have to go through with it, just because it's scheduled. I hope you can get your answers.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!