Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Off Topamax (Read 2081 times)
TomM
CH.com Hall of Famer

Montgomery Village, MD, USA
Off Topamax
Jul 8th, 2008 at 11:52am

I taopered down and have stopped taking Topamax. I was on it for a year but no more HA's so i stopped. I did get accustomed to the side effects but mostly I liked the wieght loss.
Best news is no HA's and have not gained any weight back. I dropped amost 40# and my appetite is still marginal.
Question: it's been over a month but am I still feeling the effect of it?
Thanks.
TomM

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing." --Thoreau--
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: Off Topamax
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 12:25pm

I believe your feeling the effects of your brain chemistry returning to normal...for you.
Good job.....now get that weight back.
thebb

IP Logged

TomM
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 2:52pm

I don't need the weight and I like the idea that my appetite is still marginal.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2008 at 2:53pm by TomM »  

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 4:38pm

Those are good questions, Tom, and I'll be interested to hear of your progress as I've been on the Tope for a couple of months and am wondering what will happen when I go off it. Assuming I ever do, of course....

I found that my appetite began to return after about a month. It's still not quite what it was, and I lost about 15 pounds. I'm more or less holding off the weight but I think some of that is not drinking beer!

I'm delighted to hear your headaches are gone. Hope they stay gone!

Please keep us all posted.

David

IP Logged

TomM
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 9:18am

Balanchine wrote on Jul 8th, 2008 at 4:38pm:
Those are good questions, Tom, and I'll be interested to hear of your progress as I've been on the Tope for a couple of months and am wondering what will happen when I go off it. Assuming I ever do, of course....

I found that my appetite began to return after about a month. It's still not quite what it was, and I lost about 15 pounds. I'm more or less holding off the weight but I think some of that is not drinking beer!

I'm delighted to hear your headaches are gone. Hope they stay gone!

Please keep us all posted.

David

David- thank you for the kind words. My appetite never returned and I was on Topamax for about 1 year. Like I said, I still have a marginal appetite but I'm thinking it is a cognitive thing since I decided I was eating too much anyway. I used it as a life changing vehilce opposed to "dieting". My rule is to eat no more than HALF of what is served to me. I find that eating slower and doing that I still feel full but not stuffed. Also, I have decreased the amount of beer and gin; that helps....sometimes.  Wink
TomM

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 10:48am

Well Tom, considering that the pain has abated (which of course is Item #1 on all our lists) it sounds to me as though you've accrued some significant secondary benefits (it took me a few seconds to find the right words there as I was typing.... thank YOU, Mr. Topamax!) It's interesting how this business changes us in ways we could never have predicted. Clearly as a people - at least Americans, as I know that this is an international board and I wouldn't want to draw conclusions that are too sweeping - we eat and drink too much. One can hardly go a week without reading a statistic. So I'm sure your body is thanking you for the moderation.

I too was definitely drinking too much wine, or alternatively beer - not really all that much quantity-wise, just every night. The strange part is, I don't really miss it. Interesting to see, once I (if I!) get off the Tope whether or not I revert back to my old ways.

It certainly seems as though your brain as well as your body learned to do with less food. That can only be good for you in the long run. You'll live longer. And now that you're painfree, you'll want to.

Good luck!
D

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!