Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brain freeze treatment (Read 975 times)
rooster
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Brain freeze treatment
Jul 17th, 2008 at 4:25pm

Hello I am new to the board BUT not to ch's, been dealing with them for almost 30 years.
The one thing I do more than anything is cold water treatment.  You don't always have cold enough tap water to do the job but when it is turn the tap on and let it run over your temple, eye across the forehead.  Let it give you a brain freeze like taking to big a bite of Ice Cream, put up with the freeze as long as possible.  Get out of the water wipe it off with a towel, repeat the process until the headache lessens.  This treatment has several things going for it, the rythm of the water flow, the sound of the water and the cold water constricting the  blood vessel. The sooner you start the treatment when you feel the onset the better it works.  It is always hard to stop it when it has already ramped up to max.  If your water is not cold enough to give you a brain freeze then fill the sink with ice and water.  I have had to use the ice chest when out camping.  You might fine that alternating from cold to warm water works better for you, let the warm water make the freeze go away faster.  If I am awake when the ch hits me then I am able to get ahead of the ch easier than when it wakes me up.  I hope this helps some of you.  I have had as many as 9 ch's in one night and there is just not enough Imetrex in the cabinet for that!

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Re: Brain freeze treatment
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 4:32pm

I've done the alternating as well but not just to warm, but as hot as I can stand it.  The ice cold shower is better but only seems to work for me early in a cycle.  It workd 8 out of 10 times before it lost its effectiveness.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Re: Brain freeze treatment
Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 10:49pm

I  drink lots of ice water when i get hit. i've also noticed when i work out in the cold, even when i'm having those heavy hit days, i have hours of relief when i'm out working in the cold.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!