Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The doctor dance (Read 2172 times)
fiveofclubs
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

The doctor dance
Jul 18th, 2008 at 12:39pm

Well I returned from the neurologist with no O2 prescription.  He said,  "I'm sure it's not clusters.  Let's get an MRI done, here's some migraine medicine samples.  Have a nice day."

Now, I admit the one symptom that have not developed yet is the multiple full blown ch's day after day for a period of time.  But I am getting them more and more frequently, several within a 2 week period with shadows in between.  Also, my father didn't get full blown cycles until his ealry 40's (I'm 37) and got them progressively more and more through his 30's (like me).  O2 worked for my father where everything else they tried up to it failed.

Why not give me a prescription for O2 and see if it works?  I can't track down the doctor my father went to, which would be nice.  I'm all for getting checked out and making sure it's not something else, but if O2 will make the pain of one episode stop, I want it.

Mike&&FiveofClubs

IP Logged

fiveofclubs
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: The doctor dance
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 12:51pm

sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot...just checked Medications, treatments...and there are similar thread.

thanks everyone,
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2008 at 1:45pm by fiveofclubs »  

Mike&&FiveofClubs

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 12:52pm

Welders 02.
No prescription needed.
Get a regulator and a mask and your set.
There are many threads here on how.
Smiley
Edit:spelling Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2008 at 12:53pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 1:04pm

From the doc's perspective: we can take a med which aborts the headache and yet it may not be CH--could be a more threatening disorders which has CH symptoms. SO, I suspect he wants to establish the correct diagnosis before aggressively treating so that neither of you are mislead.

And that they have not fully developed into classic CH is not uncommon and so somewhat clouds the Dx picture.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

fiveofclubs
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 1:45pm

I agree, continuing to look to get a definitive diagnoses is a good thing.  I asked him if O2 was a good for treatment for anything other than clusters.  He said, no, but it could have a placebo effect. 

So, my fingers are crossed, but I'm guessing there are at least a few more attacks in my future.

thanks for the responses

Mike&&FiveofClubs

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 4:13am

Wishing you PF days & wise, wise CH-understanding docs,

Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 5:09am

Get a new doctor!  This one is an idiot!

It is good that he is getting the tests done, but that is where his helpfulness stops!

He will NOT give you oxygen, which is virtually side effect free, yet he DOSE give you migraine meds, that I am SURE have PLENTY of possible side effects?  EFFIN IDIOT!!!

Even if you do NOT have clusters, the oxygen will NOT have any bad side effects!  As a matter of fact, it might help in the proper diagnosis, as most other types of headaches do NOT respond to oxygen therapy!  So if you DO get quick results from the oxygen, there is another indicator that it IS clusters!

GAWD!!!  Some of these doctors really PISS ME OFF!!

(OK, Chuckiepoo, take a DEEP breath ... now let it out ... breath in ... breath out ... breath in ... breath out .... Now, aren't you feeling better now?  More calm and quiet?)

OK, I'm fine now ...

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 10:36am

I don't believe I"m doing this BUT I AGREE WITH CHUCK!!!! 

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 12:12pm

BarbaraD wrote on Jul 19th, 2008 at 10:36am:
I AGREE WITH CHUCK!!!!  

Hugs BD

Ummm...me
EFFIN TOO
!!!!!

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 11:33pm

Yeah, what Chuck said.  I was misdiagnosed and doped up on a bunch of migraines stuff for way too long.

He is right in taking all the steps to make sure what you do have and don't have.  Let the doc know that you need some relief URGENTLY!

also...
"I asked him if O2 was a good for treatment for anything other than clusters.  He said, no..."
Bullshit.  O2 is useful for some other headaches and hangovers.  So, remember that this is not necessarily a certain indication that these are CH.

Do the O2 thing right.  This site and ouch has details.  Too much can be a bad thing, but the 10-15 minute occasional thing is a long way from too much.

Good luck on finding a better doc!

Jon

Jon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!