Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maxalt Question (Read 1793 times)
kekahbah
CH.com Newbie

San Francisco, CA
Maxalt Question
Jul 18th, 2008 at 7:56pm

After almost 18 months PF the beast has returned with a vengeance.  This past week I have been getting hit hard.  The other night was so bad that I ended up in the ER because Maxalt and O2 were not giving me any relief after 3 hours.  So far Maxalt which has been a good abortive for the past several years has not been helping.  The ER doc told me that if I took more than 3 in a 24 hour period it would have no effect on the pain, but in the past I have not had a problem.  Has anyone else experienced Maxalt not working after 3 tabs?  Thanks for the help.

Chris

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Re: Maxalt Question
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 9:09pm

There have been some that have used triptans in pill form like Maxalt along with 02. The Maxalt takes too long to get in your bloodstream to be very effective after one starts. But some have felt that along with 02 to knock it, that Maxalt might keep the next one away for a few hours longer.

I am interested about your use of 02. How many lpm flow do you use and what type of mask? I will tell you that if you are not using at least 15lpm, the flow might not be high enough to knock it.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

kekahbah
CH.com Newbie

San Francisco, CA
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 9:24pm

Hi Jimi,

I almost always use at least 15lpm on the O2, anything less and you're right it just doesn't work at least not for me.  I should have clarified it more maybe, I use the Maxalt-MLT which my doc said get into the bloodstream fairly quickly.  I know in the past it has really worked compared to other drugs I've taken in pill form.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 10:12pm

kekahbah wrote on Jul 18th, 2008 at 9:24pm:
I use the Maxalt-MLT which my doc said get into the bloodstream fairly quickly.

This is the way it was explained to me by my neurologist.

Maxalt is absorbed in the gut, not in the membranes of the mouth. Therefore, the MLT form is somewhat liquified by the time it hits your stomach. The tablet form takes a few minutes to break down once it hits your stomach. The first is probably absorbed a few minutes sooner because of the delivery method.

The MLT form was developed so that it could be taken anywhere, without a glass of water, not so that it is absorbed faster (even though it is, by maybe five minutes). Neither one, however, starts taking effect for at least half an hour.

Imitrex injectable, Imitrex nasal spray, and Zomig nasal spray all start acting faster than Maxalt.

IP Logged

kekahbah
CH.com Newbie

San Francisco, CA
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 10:29pm

That's good to know, I wasn't aware that the Maxalt-Mlt took so long to to absorb since I've always had good luck with it in the past.  I've tried the Imitrex and Zomig nasal sprays but neither were able to cut it off.  I might see if my doc will give me the Imitrex injectible to try.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 8:54am

Over the years we have had plenty of messages, confirming the medical literature, about previously effective meds no long working.

There is no option except to start a search for something new which does work. Why this happens is unknown and it's frustrating, etc. but not anything which we can control.

Imitrex injectable has become the "gold standard" but also see button, left, about using half dosing. Discuss with your doc about a trial at both full and half dosing.

See also the possibility of Zyprexa as an abortive. Has some distinct advantages in terms of convenience, cost per dose, and decent speed of effect.

=======http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
====================

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ALL NEW!! HEADACHE 2008-2009
The new 72 page Headache 2008-2009 is hot off the press! Click here to download the PDF instantly! (free)

If you would like a bound copy, send $12 (includes shipping) to
Robbins Headache Clinic
1535 Lake Cook Rd.
Suite 506
Northbrook, Ill.60062

OR call 847-480-9399 to use Visa or Mastercard.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!