Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Started on O2,odd thing though... (Read 3838 times)
Jeff_M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Started on O2,odd thing though...
Jul 25th, 2008 at 9:20am

Ok, I got my O2 up and running and at 15lpm,it KILLS my CH's. However, I noticed that thru the day and night I was getting hit every 2 hours. It was like I was just "stalling" it. Like my CH was going to come no matter what.

I did notice that my depression kind of lifted yesterday. I mean I was able to kill em and had no side effects from meds and damn...That was good!

But alas,I had to do 1/3 shot of trex at 2:30am. Trust me...for me thats good!  A 1/3 shot for an entire 24 hour period is good...At least for me as I was very dependent on trex.

So I guess I would like to ask,has anyone had that happen? When you started your O2,did it seem like they(CH) were just going to come no matter what?

Also...If you were feeling depressed,did it boost your spirits? Because it sure as hell lifted mine! Just ask my wife..nudge nudge wink wink say no more say no more!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Started on O2,odd thing though...
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 12:49pm

We have some strong supporters of O2 here but your experience has been reported in the medical literature but tends to go unnoticed.

But that some treatments do not work for particular individuals has long been recognized for ??? reasons. Always leaves us in th position to have to try something else. Also true that meds which have worked sometimes just stop being effective and we  have to start searching again. Again, unknown reasons.
--------
Neurol Sci. 2004 Oct;25 Suppl 3:S119-22.

Cluster headache: symptomatic treatment.

Torelli P, Manzoni GC.

Headache Centre, Section of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience, University of Parma, Via Gramsci 14, I-43100 Parma, Italy. paolatorelli@libero.it

The clinical management of cluster headache (CH) attacks requires a symptomatic treatment that is rapidly effective in resolving or significantly reducing symptoms. First-choice drugs for the symptomatic treatment of CH are subcutaneous sumatriptan at a dose of 6 mg and 100% oxygen inhalation at a rate of 7 l/min for no more than 15 min. Sumatriptan acts by suppressing pain and the accompanying autonomic phenomena, with no substantial differences in its mechanism of action between episodic and chronic CH. The drug can be used for prolonged periods without loss of efficacy or safety and its side-effects are generally mild or moderate. OXYGEN INHALATION HAS A NUMBER OF ADVANTAGES OVER DRUG THERAPY: IT IS FREE FROM SIDE-EFFECTS, HAS NO CONTRAINDICATIONS--UNLIKE SUMATRIPTAN, IT CAN BE USED IN PATIENTS WITH CARDIAC, CEREBRAL OR PERIPHERAL VASCULAR DISEASE AND WITH KIDNEY, LIVER OR LUNG DISEASE--ACTS RAPIDLY AND CAN BE ADMINISTERED SEVERAL TIMES A DAY. ITS DISADVANTAGES ARE THAT IT IS SCARCELY PRACTICAL AND MAY INDUCE A "REBOUND EFFECT". Sumatriptan nasal spray, zolmitriptan and dihydroergotamine nasal spray are scarcely effective. After the introduction of sumatriptan, ergotamine tartrate has been relegated to a secondary role in the symptomatic treatment of CH. Among other non-drug and topical drug treatment options, hyperbaric oxygen therapy and the intranasal application of 10% cocaine hydrochloride and 10% lidocaine in the sphenopalatine fossa have also proved effective.

PMID: 15549518 

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Jeff_M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 1:24pm

No...the O2 absolutly stops em dead! Maybe I should have been more clear on that. O2 does stop them...However,last night was odd. After using the O2,it seemed like it kept wanting to come back almost every 2 hours. This morning,so far so good. I just was wondering if anyone has had that happen? Also...If you were depressed,did it kind of pick up your spirits?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 3:45pm

Rebound headaches. "Rebound Headaches--A Review", Au. John S. Warner, M.D., in HEADACHE QUARTERLY, 10:3(1999). (There is some confusion on the board about the meaning of "rebound". There appears to be an emerging consensus in the medical literature to define "rebound" as a headache which is caused by the overuse of any medication used to abort a headache or relieve pain. "Recurrence" [of a headache] is being used to refer to the redevelopment of an attack when its "normal" duration is longer than the useful life of the medication which has been taken. That is, the medication effectiveness is reducing before the headache has come to an end; the pain redevelops.)
=========================

This is one of those issues where limitations on language and definitions creates mischief!

In the end, does it make much difference how we describe your experience? IF any med/treatment does not give enough relief for you, then it's an opportunity to find someone else which does deliver for you.

Other peoples experience is of interest but does not alter your personal experience, No?

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Jeff_M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:09pm

Thank You Bob,however they're not rebound HA's right now. Trust me on that. I have a very small amount of trex that my insurance comp will pay for in a months time. So I use that VERY little but I never asked for anything else hence my "dependence" on it. It was ALL I knew that worked. I also have bottles of pain killers that my old doc prescibed for me that I wont even touch in fear of rebounds. And they just dont work we ALL know that. Rebounds?...No I wish it were that simple. I just had an odd thing happen since I started on O2,and was curious if anyone else has experienced the same. Again,Thank You for the input.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 6:53pm

Jeff,

It's really pretty common.  I always swallow a tab of cafergot before I start huffing the O2.  The O2 stops the attack and the cafergot keeps it from comming back.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 8:09am

Looks like you and Wishbone are in the same boat: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Oxygen has a vasoconstrictive effect.  However the duration of that effect is rather short lived.  Oxygen does nothing for the underlying condition in your brain that sets the stage for the attack.  As long as that underlying condition persists, the attacks will return.  I call that reattack.

I use the O2, kill the hit.  If it returns I slam an energy drink and then hit the O2 again.  If that combination doesn't work I'll pull out the imitrex.  We all need to sleep sometime Wink

Hope this cycle ends soon for ya.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 10:11pm

Jeff, I'm fairly recent to both 02 and Imitrex, using the pill form of the latter. I haven't had your experience in the short time I've been using the magic green canister and am sorry to hear of your 'reattacks'.

Have you thought about a preventive? I had great success with Topamax recently but I know there are others that have helped many here.

David

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:18am

Jeff, I do not have an answer to your question about oxygen causing your more frequent hits.  I have heard comments on both sides of this question.

All I know, is that I get hit a lot and oxygen is my savior.

In regards to YOUR experience, though, from what I hear, so what if it does cause them?  From what you are saying, it kills the hit, right away, AND (possibly most importantly) it seems to improve your depression.

As we all know, trex, although a GREAT aborter, has MANY side effects.  Oxygen has none of those.  So, even though it MAY be causing more hits, it seems to be the best route for you!

Oxygen is cheaper, safer, AND seems to help your depression.  Case closed.  Go with the oxygen!

I hope it continues to lift your depression.  Depression SUCKS!

Good luck!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:45am

Jeff,

Good on you for starting oxygen therapy... Keep it up and you’ll never be sorry.  Depending on the max Kip-pain level during oxygen therapy, I'm guessing your abort times are between 12 and 18 minutes.  A higher flow rate can cut that in half or thirds.  Check your PM.

As you've probably figured out, the oxygen therapy is not giving you rebounds...  The reasoning is simple.  A rebound is a physiological/pharmacological resistance build up to a medication that's being used too frequently for to long a time.  If you developed a resistance to oxygen, you would assume room temperature.

What you are having is similar to a re-attack.  A re-attack generally occurs between 15 to 45 minutes following a successful abort with oxygen therapy, but not at regularly scheduled attack times.  What is happening with a re-attack is the oxygen therapy works to abort the pain but not the triggering mechanism.  When the vasoconstrictive effects of hyperoxia from the oxygen therapy wear off, and the triggering mechanism is still present in your system, the attack resumes. 

A re-attack is also a good indication the oxygen therapy is working properly. 

In your case, with the attacks coming like clockwork every two hours, it's almost like the oxygen therapy has set the timer for your attacks at two hours.  This happens to a lot of us.  Like re-attacks, the frequency of regularly scheduled cluster headache attacks will start to decrease after two to three weeks of oxygen therapy if there are no other conditions interfering with it.  Again, a higher oxygen flow rate may be helpful.

I quit taking imitrex over two years ago and use only oxygen therapy now. When I was taking it, I would split a 50 mg tablet and take half at night along with the oxygen therapy and get 4 to 6 hours PF sleep.  If you're using a third of a 6 mg imitrex injection, you’re only 2 mg, and the half-life or clearance rate of basic imitrex is 2 hours to the 50% serum level.  The 25 mg tablet will not work as fast in aborting your attacks, but it will work longer.

Not all triptans are created equally. Check with your doctor.  A longer half-life triptan, like eletriptan (Repax) or naratriptan (Amerge) may be an alternative to the more expensive imitrex injections and give you more PF time, as long as oxygen therapy is effective.

You also might want to pick up some pH strips and start tracking your pH. Measuring the pH of your saliva is easy and it will provide a good, but not exact indication of arterial pH.  A low arterial pH (too much acid) tends to increase the frequency and intensity of cluster headache attacks.  You can pick up some reasonably priced pH test strips from pH-ion on line at:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If your pH is low, you may want to check out some dietary tips on how to raise it at the following link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Mineral supplements (Calcium and Magnesium with Zinc) and simple diet changes from the link above can raise your system pH and this may help to reduce the frequency and intensity of your cluster headache attacks.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2008 at 2:50am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 1:10am

Batch is too cool.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 10:56pm

I'm the same as Bob P I've always launched a cafergot when I started the 02. Otherwise mine would come back in les then 20 minutes. Someone recently posted they had the same problem, they shot an energy drink or a shot of strong coffee when they started the oxygen. I intend to try that the next cycle and see if i can pitch the cafergot.

Guiseppi

And that Batch dude is a freaking 02 guru. Wink

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeff_M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 10:38am

Thank You everyone for the replies and emails! Things have gotten way better since my posting of this. The O2 is going great! The "re-attacks" have stopped.  Ive found the benifits of slamming a Red Bull along with the O2 as well....Things are getting better!
Thank You

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 10:56pm

This topic just came up very recently.  It was a reattack vs rebound discussion.  What you are saying is not uncommon.  O2 works great but.... I, just like, you can fall into a category of it common back more frequently.  Frustrating..........yes.  But it is still a life saver.  When it keeps coming back at night, sometimes I would just have to jab myself to get some significant sleep.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!