Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Second worst pain imaginable? (Read 15126 times)
maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Second worst pain imaginable?
Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:20am

I read somewhere that CH is supposed to be the second worst pain known to men. Unfortunately I can't find it back, and also don't remember if it was an anecdotal thing, or an objective, scientifically argumented research.

Does anyone know any link where to find it?
And what pain is even worse?

Thanx in advance.
Painfree days ahead for all.

Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Re: Second worst pain imaginable?
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:34am

maalstroom wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:20am:
I read somewhere that CH is supposed to be the second worst pain known to men. Unfortunately I can't find it back, and also don't remember if it was an anecdotal thing, or an objective, scientifically argumented research.

Does anyone know any link where to find it?
And what pain is even worse?

Thanx in advance.
Painfree days ahead for all.

Pascal.

I would assume the paper cut is #1.  Bruised ego also is up there.

I have had kidney stones, gall stones, and slipped disks... all pretty painful but nothing close to CH.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Sandra von der Laage
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:36am

I would think, from what I have seen, that certain forms of cancer have worse pain than CH.
Sandra

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 12:12pm

Raising children (not birthing them, raising them).

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 1:49pm

I've searches the entire internet, or so it seems, digging through medical journals and all that jazz, but found nothing.

Any answers or links will be greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 3:27pm

Try this link.  There is another Dr. also who said pretty much the same thing but I cannot find it right now.  I'll keep trying though.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:19pm

As the leading expert in dealing with pain I promise clusters lead the list.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Potter

IP Logged

Peter in Dubai
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:42pm

Pascal,

I recall many tears ago on this site that there was a link to BBC documentary about CH and some promenant DR saying that it indeed was THE worst pain any one can suffer.  In fact it was quoted as similar to having arms amputated without aneasthetic.  I will try to find the file but it was over 6-7 years ago I saw it.

Remember though, the level of pain is yours, it's not for you to explain to anyone because they will NEVER understand.  Each of us deal with it in many ways, personally I prefer not to even bother trying to explain to anyone other than my wife because like everything in life mate, they have had bigger better or worse than you...... only we know the painfull truth.

In closing though, I would say that my CH is the worst physical pain I have ever felt, but the mental pain of losing a loved one is worse and never stops, we have all lost someone.  Put things into perspective and hold on to the strength knowing that whatever suffering you or your partner is going through there are always the moments when the pain dissepates, the sweating stops and the breathing slows to a semi-human rate.  Then you can try to back to normal living again.

I am gueassing that your not the sufferer as you would know the severity of pain without having to compare..... it's not the second worst a MAN could experience but THE worst ANYONE can experience.

I remember also one of the postings on this site (again about 8 years ago) from one of the brave female sufferers in the US who said after having four kids, she would gladly have a child every day, without medication for the rest of her life if she could go one day without a CH.....Bless her cotton socks because that has been my yard stick for years now when I am asked why I dissapear for a few hours of bathroom wall headbanging every othere hour or so.

Either way, just hang in there, sufferer or carer.

Kind Regards

Pete

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:45pm

What an odd first post. Odd placement, odd subject matter. Just odd.

IP Logged

Peter in Dubai
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:49pm

Why was that odd?

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:02pm

Hello Peter from Dubai,

Thanx for your response. Actually, I am a clusterhead and have been since my final year in high school, so that must 've been either 1992 or 1993. To me, it is in fact the most excruciating pain, but only as known to me. I have besides this, never been seriously ill save some injuries we all endure sometimes, so I have no experience to compare.
Sure, to me the CH are the worst, but maybe others have other views.

The reason for my initial post was, that I read somewhere sometime about it being second to another pain. So that knowledge kinda shook me up, but I can't find it back.
It is for instance known, that a hit is not receptive to morphine. Trying to kill the pain is not an option. As far as I know, only the constricting of the vessels gives relief, achieved by Imitrex, Oxygen.

I do not have any experience with  other headpains (except the occassional tension headache after being to busy). But maybe others are equally worse..... trigeminal neuralgia for instance? Who will enlighten me? And still very interested which pain syndrom would come first, if any is.

PF days to all.

Pascal.

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:05pm

And oh yeah Peter, I didn't mean men (man plural) but mankind haha.

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:05pm

How 'bout the "Getting to know ya" board? Hi, I'm so-and-so, been suffering for x years, yada yada yada....

IP Logged

Peter in Dubai
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:34pm

Pascal,

93.. wow, mine started in 95 after a car accident.....respect!!

Your right about the constrictors though and any cardio vascular constrictor basically does it, even smoking can bring a quicker end to a bad night crawling around the bathroom floor screaming for whoever you deem to be your saviour.

As far as the medical refference to other head related (nonCH) problems, my wife was diagnosed last year with a huge sphenoidal menigioma (brain tumour the size of an orange) and we spent all of last year in oncology departments watching sufferers of many dissorders, she had her operation which wasn't successful in May last year, only to start the whole thing again in October.  She had another cranioptomy in November, again unsuccessful, and we spend every waking moment together.  The point being, and I know it sounds wierd, but she can see strength in how we deal with the terrible pain, she dealt with it because she saw me dealing with the horrible pain.  My wife is alive and well but takes more drugs than the rolling stones to keep her going.   

There are people out there who suffer pain, horrible pain.  Your not alone mate, and CH is not the only really bad one.....  What makes our CH scarey is the predictability of pain, knowing it's gonna happen, when, and how bad it will be. 

It's not about the severity of pain, but the fear of it coming, not being able to happily go to sleep for fear of the devil arriving after 20 mins or so.  Remember there are peacefull times though..... the flowing of it leaving, the day when you can go all day without a visit to you own little private pharmacy, or when you can walk past a pharmacy without having to stop.

Sorry for rambling mate, but to be honest, I've had 7 bouts today, the last one for nearly 2hrs and am not wanting to go to sleep.....havent been to bed in 3 days.

Take care buddy, and hang in there.

IP Logged

Peter in Dubai
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:42pm

Whadya wanna talk about then Brew?  Never been to Wisconsin, soposed to be very peaceful, have you ever been this neck of the woods?

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:43pm

I am really sorry to hear about your wife's tumor, must be hard on you guys.

Yes, Peter, the fear of sleep.... but I always DO fall asleep. Only to be woken by the Beast maybe two hours orso later. God I hate those night time hits. For me, they are the worst. While in high cycle I get an average of six hits a day, of which can be generally said: 3 hits on 8 or above, 3 below.
I am not experiencing CHs right now, probably due to the Verap, but have persistent shadows. Especially since it's hot here right now, the vein in my temple does overtime. But, without crossing the threshold into real pain.

Wishing you painfree days soon, and that your wife may get better.
Regards, Pascal.

IP Logged

Peter in Dubai
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:52pm

Good for you mate, keep it PF for a while.... bang on with the temple veign though, mine looks like something from a SCI-FI movie (left side).  It's hot here too, went to Abu Dhabi this morning and it was 47deg c @90% humidity.

Kind Regards
Peter

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:55pm

Peter in Dubai wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:42pm:
Whadya wanna talk about then Brew?  Never been to Wisconsin, soposed to be very peaceful, have you ever been this neck of the woods?

Stuff it, pal.

And yes, I have been to Dubai - if that's where you are indeed located.

IP Logged

Peter in Dubai
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:04pm

Yes Brew, I am indeed here in Dubai, been here for 6 years now, used to live in Bahrain before (sorry mate am a Brit).

Whats wrong Brew, why so defensive?  Am just here to answer Pascals question and to pass time (while talking to anyone who understands why I won't go to sleep).

IP Logged

washed-out
CH.com Junior

Native Engrish Speaker
:D

Poland
Reply #19 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:08pm

I have seen something like "CH is THE WORST pain" many times, on different sites (both English and Polish). I can't find its source tho (any official statement or sth). It's a bit like urban legend (we don't know where did it come from). Though urban legends are usually wrong and this thing about CH can be true. Sad

I think that this kind of "rankings" are kinda stupid. First of all, it's hard to compare pain if you are not a sufferer and second of all it's hard to find someone who has been suffering from CH and another huge pain. Nonetheless it's a good way of explaining how horrible CH are to someone who says "lol it's just a headache".

Another thing is that not every cluster head suffer from the worst CH. I had at least one attack every day but I had the worst ones like 5 times so far and of course I am aware that many of you have been suffering for years, with much worse attacks.

For me, and I guess many of you, CH are as painful physically as mentally. I would actually prefer to break my legs, have a three-month-long recovery or something like that. If you suffer from CH for months, most of the things doesn't work for you (+ you are suffering from another health problems) and you know that you might not find any relief and you can suffer for months and years. You can't do things you used to do and you know you won't be able to achieve in some fields you wanted to. Ah, and if you add that many people don't understand you, then it can really destroy you mentally.

Anyway I think I can imagine worse (or even much worse pain) but it would be some kind of "not natural" pain (something like tortures). For example - 3rd level burn of 90% of body (some people say there is even 4th level). I had something around 20% of 2nd level and it was really horrible (but I would prefer it over months of CH).

Best regards.

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #20 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:19pm

Hi Washed Out,

No it's not about ranking it. I'm just the kinda guy who wants to know just about everything about a subject once I get an interest in it. And this is off course the best place to be, with all these people who have literally lifetimes of both experience and knowledge.
Plus I'm kind of anal about my head lol!

Painfree vibes coming to Poland!

IP Logged

washed-out
CH.com Junior

Native Engrish Speaker
:D

Poland
Reply #21 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:52pm

maalstroom wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:19pm:
No it's not about ranking it. I'm just the kinda guy who wants to know just about everything about a subject once I get an interest in it.

Hehe, I didn't take your post as a bad/stupid thing Tongue (if it seemed so, then apologize). I just think it's impossible to decide (objectively) what is the worst Wink And yeah, I'm kinda like you.

Btw. (that's total offtopic) I can imagine what would be the worst possible thing that can happen to the human. Something like in Johnny Got His Gun movie...

Quote:
Painfree vibes coming to Poland!

Thanks, same 2 you Smiley

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #22 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 8:30pm

Guessing gettin yer arm tore off and yer leg turned around backwards don't count for much.

Potter

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #23 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 8:38pm

Well--if there's something worse, I don't want any of it.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #24 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:33pm

It counts for a lot Potter.

Especially since that happened to you while defending our country.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!